Who was the last.....

Captain F

The guy described in this thread does not exist because he's on the wrong side of 30, needs to be traded for a 3rd and a 5th rd pick, and fans are just being too sentimental about the year he led the NFL in all stats. 

Ertz has been a top 3-5  player at his position. In 2017 and 2018 he was abs top 3 if not at times the best. 

Cox has been just behind Donald for a few years as the #2 DT in the league. 

Now whether we would call them superstars? I think you would. I think the rest of the league would suggest they are. I'm sure pretty much every team in the league, bar one or two would love to have Ertz and Cox. 

Nick Foles - Guy got us a trophy as a backup and out dueled the greatest of all time. (Twice in a row btw)

I know all the arguments against Foles but there is a reason there is a statue of him out front. He ended 60 years of pain, agony and suffering.

Cox, Peters, Lane, Kelce and Brooks will all go down as some of the greatest Eagles linemen but I have to agree that the league wide recognized super stars have to be Dawk and Reggie.

As an Eagles fan there will always be some affinity for Shady but he disappeared once he got traded.

• Like 1

I always have said, a Hall of Famer should be, well, *famous*. Reggie was, Randall was... struggling to think of any fairly recent players that fill the bill.

So yeah, the first name that jumped to mind was Dawkins.  I think he was fairly well known to non-Eagles fans, and is a HOFer.  Someone pointed out that he may have been overshadowed a bit in terms of national recognition by Polamalu, and I think that’s probably correct.  Ed Reed was getting a lot of love around that time, too.  Still think Dawk generally fits the original criteria, though.

More recently, I believe Shady is perhaps not getting as much recognition as he should here.  I feel he was pretty well known league-wide by fans, and was a top RB for several seasons.  He had a lot of flash to his game too, which tends to be what sticks with people.

Speaking of flash, perhaps no one had more than DJax during his first stint with the Eagles.  He certainly wasn’t the most consistent player, we all know that, but due to his highlight reel of big plays he was every bit a superstar.  I remember sitting at a blackjack table in Vegas with a buddy of mine years ago and our dealer was wearing a pink DJax jersey.  I also recall WFT fans speaking about him jealously when I was at FedEx for Eagles games over the years.  He was a really big name.  T.O. has to get a mention as a WR as well, as he absolutely was a superstar.  I understand the argument to disqualify him based on his short tenure with the Birds, though.

If none of these work, then Reggie is the obvious answer.

• Like 2

Also, I think at the heart of the question is 'Why the hell haven't we been able to keep superstars here?' 

We've had decent coaches but the GM and President have alternately been mediocre and poor.

1 hour ago, EaglesFan said:

So yeah, the first name that jumped to mind was Dawkins.  I think he was fairly well known to non-Eagles fans, and is a HOFer.  Someone pointed out that he may have been overshadowed a bit in terms of national recognition by Polamalu, and I think that’s probably correct.  Ed Reed was getting a lot of love around that time, too.  Still think Dawk generally fits the original criteria, though.

More recently, I believe Shady is perhaps not getting as much recognition as he should here.  I feel he was pretty well known league-wide by fans, and was a top RB for several seasons.  He had a lot of flash to his game too, which tends to be what sticks with people.

Speaking of flash, perhaps no one had more than DJax during his first stint with the Eagles.  He certainly wasn’t the most consistent player, we all know that, but due to his highlight reel of big plays he was every bit a superstar.  I remember sitting at a blackjack table in Vegas with a buddy of mine years ago and our dealer was wearing a pink DJax jersey.  I also recall WFT fans speaking about him jealously when I was at FedEx for Eagles games over the years.  He was a really big name.  T.O. has to get a mention as a WR as well, as he absolutely was a superstar.  I understand the argument to disqualify him based on his short tenure with the Birds, though.

If none of these work, then Reggie is the obvious answer.

Unbiased, Dawkins was better than both Polamalu and Reed.

• Like 2

Carson Wentz was. He had the NFL at the tip of his fingers. He was considered by his second season one of the best players in the league. 

Dawkins for sure....along with Reggie White....McNabb....TO was only here for a season and a half....

I would put Desean up there because he torched opposing defenses for years...he is STILL a threat (yes I know, this board hates him though)....

Unpopular opinion but Shady was a star until he left....then he just sort of disappeared....I would actually put Brian Westbrook in his category as well....

Foles, as much as I love him, just wasn't consistent enough and was always up and down....

17 hours ago, Swoop said:

Unbiased, Dawkins was better than both Polamalu and Reed.

I agree with this. No defense wanted to go up against Dawk...

25 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

You mean offense?

lmao thats EXACTLY what I meant....thanks for the correction

• Like 1

As much as everyone hates JP these days, he is a first ballot HOFer and one of the best ever at his position.