Davion Taylor...Come out where ever you are!

philafan4o8

Destroying players like Whiteside and Gerry have been warranted but they have taken our attention off other terrible draft decisions by Howie Roseman and the Eagles Pac 12 scouts.

Our weakest position on defense and maybe on the whole team is our linebackers. We drafted a guy named Davion Taylor from Colorado. A good athlete, undersized and zero football IQ.

How is it that our 3rd rounder cant even get on the field or win playing time over 7th rounder Shaun Bradley (who looks promising) and Alex Singleton (also promising)?

Simply embarrassing but whats new

• Like 1

Maybe he turns into a bust, but he wasn't drafted with the expectation that he's ready to come in and play from day 1. Bradley played some snaps today and did a couple things well. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, philafan4o8 said:

Destroying players like Whiteside and Gerry have been warranted but they have taken our attention off other terrible draft decisions by Howie Roseman and the Eagles Pac 12 scouts.

Our weakest position on defense and maybe on the whole team is our linebackers. We drafted a guy named Davion Taylor from Colorado. A good athlete, undersized and zero football IQ.

How is it that our 3rd rounder cant even get on the field or win playing time over 7th rounder Shaun Bradley (who looks promising) and Alex Singleton (also promising)?

I mean, you answered your own question.  This team has drafted poorly for nearly a decade and has been bottom tier since Chip left.  You look at all of the no brainer decisions that any fan can make (Metcalf > JJAW), but this organization thinks it's simply smarter than everyone else.  I'm glad the rest of the league is proving the opposite. 

And 4 picks later the Bengals drafted Akeem Davis-Gaither.  The 3rd round isn't the time to draft a raw player who is more developmental than potential immediate contributor at a position where you need immediate contributions.  That was another poor pick, IMO.  Howie trying to be the smartest guy in the room and out-smarted himself.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, philafan4o8 said:

Howie liked him cause he’s fast. Probably can’t play a lick of football but he’s fast...

In fairness we really don't know what this kid has and he isn't getting the chance to show it. It seems like Gerry has some sort of connection within the organization because I don't know how he keeps his starting job. He doesn't even look like a NFL linebacker. We have seen Ward not get a shot for a long time in favor of guys like Hollins. So, this could be a case of favoritism vs. deserving a shot.

• Like 2

You don't draft developmental players in the 3rd round, especially at LB.  Majority if those picks bust.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, philafan4o8 said:

All the problems on this team, and Davion Taylor is your focus ??

2 minutes ago, weko said:

You don't draft developmental players in the 3rd round, especially at LB.  Majority if those picks bust.  

This. If it takes two years for your 3rd rounder to get on the field consistently, you've wasted half of their rookie deal. It's a piss poor use of resources. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dawkins 20 said:

This. If it takes two years for your 3rd rounder to get on the field consistently, you've wasted half of their rookie deal. It's a piss poor use of resources. 

Good point. Every report said he was raw and needed years to develop. That’s a 6th round pick, not a 3rd rd pick. A 3rd round pick, with the exception of a QB, should be ready to contribute immediately.

• Like 3

People keep changing the rules to gripe. Now you don't draft developmental players in the 3rd round either? They all have to contribute from day 1? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

All the problems on this team, and Davion Taylor is your focus ??

One of the focuses. Out LB core has been the worse part of our defense. 

I would take forever to write the issues with this team

3 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

Wouldn't surprise me if Taylor came on and played well.  He could be really good in practice but Schwartz would stick with Gerry and Riley for some odd reason.

I dont know what Taylor is but I know these coaches dont always put the best players out there.  Been saying that for awhile.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, philafan4o8 said:

I think what you're saying is that he should be getting on the field ahead of Gerry? Which i agree with. 

5 hours ago, brkmsn said:

People keep changing the rules to gripe. Now you don't draft developmental players in the 3rd round either? They all have to contribute from day 1? 

Not sure what rule you mean. I’ve always felt players drafted in the first three rounds, (a QB you hope to be a starter in the near future would be the exception) should be significant contributors, if not starters pretty much right away. Similar to a QB, my exception would be a player who isn’t doing so because the incumbent is going to be gone soon. Developmental type players can be taken in the 4th or later. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Not sure what rule you mean. I’ve always felt players drafted in the first three rounds, (a QB you hope to be a starter in the near future would be the exception) should be significant contributors, if not starters pretty much right away. Similar to a QB, my exception would be a player who isn’t doing so because the incumbent is going to be gone soon. Developmental type players can be taken in the 4th or later. 

I think first and second rounders you absolutely would hope would be immediate contributors at the majority of positions. Third rounders I think you'd hope would be good depth and rotational guys early in the year and then developing further as the year progresses.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, brkmsn said:

No you don't draft developmental players in the 3rd. round.  That is a round for solid starters and most positions.  Developmental picks are for rounds 5-7, maybe mid to late 4th with the right risk/reward.  You get starters thru the early to mid 4th round, if you know what you're doing like the Steelers Ravens Colts and others.

7 minutes ago, weko said:

No you don't draft developmental players in the 3rd. round.  That is a round for solid starters and most positions.  Developmental picks are for rounds 5-7, maybe mid to late 4th with the right risk/reward.  You get starters thru the early to mid 4th round, if you know what you're doing like the Steelers Ravens Colts and others.

I think it depends to be honest. If someone has the raw tools and athleticism that merits a third round pick then you take them in the third round. But they have to have those tools that you think you can nature and develop in to a top level starter. All draft picks need to be developed even the first rounders... The further through the draft you go then generally the more a player needs to be developed. I don't think it's right that a third round is expected to contribute as a starter straight away.

17 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think it depends to be honest. If someone has the raw tools and athleticism that merits a third round pick then you take them in the third round. But they have to have those tools that you think you can nature and develop in to a top level starter. All draft picks need to be developed even the first rounders... The further through the draft you go then generally the more a player needs to be developed. I don't think it's right that a third round is expected to contribute as a starter straight away.

Especially on this team lol

14 minutes ago, NYEagle said:

Especially on this team lol

Well I don't think on any team. Some third rounders do come in to the NFL and have major impacts straight away but I don't think that should be seen as the expectation.