Davion Taylor...Come out where ever you are!

philafan4o8

10 hours ago, CaliEagle said:

In fairness we really don't know what this kid has and he isn't getting the chance to show it. It seems like Gerry has some sort of connection within the organization because I don't know how he keeps his starting job. He doesn't even look like a NFL linebacker. We have seen Ward not get a shot for a long time in favor of guys like Hollins. So, this could be a case of favoritism vs. deserving a shot.

He’s not even contributing on special teams though. You gotta find a way to make some kind of an impact. 

40 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think it depends to be honest. If someone has the raw tools and athleticism that merits a third round pick then you take them in the third round. But they have to have those tools that you think you can nature and develop in to a top level starter. All draft picks need to be developed even the first rounders... The further through the draft you go then generally the more a player needs to be developed. I don't think it's right that a third round is expected to contribute as a starter straight away.

As a LB on this team he needs to contribute on special teams. Hell im not sure he’s even be activated for any of the games, but sure enough Shaun Bradley was making tackles yesterday. 

7 minutes ago, 20dawk4life said:

As a LB on this team he needs to contribute on special teams. Hell im not sure he’s even be activated for any of the games, but sure enough Shaun Bradley was making tackles yesterday. 

Oh I don't disagree with you there! :-)

12 hours ago, Green_Guinness said:

And 4 picks later the Bengals drafted Akeem Davis-Gaither.  The 3rd round isn't the time to draft a raw player who is more developmental than potential immediate contributor at a position where you need immediate contributions.  That was another poor pick, IMO.  Howie trying to be the smartest guy in the room and out-smarted himself.

That didn't take much.  

1 hour ago, weko said:

No you don't draft developmental players in the 3rd. round.  That is a round for solid starters and most positions.  Developmental picks are for rounds 5-7, maybe mid to late 4th with the right risk/reward.  You get starters thru the early to mid 4th round, if you know what you're doing like the Steelers Ravens Colts and others.

Trotter was a 3rd round pick and didn't really play until his 2nd year. Sheldon Brown was a 2nd rd pick and wasn't a starter until his 3rd year. This is a case where I don't think the problem is so much that the 3rd rounder needs time to develop as much as it's a timing situation with the current situation at LB. The Eagles must have expected Gerry to play better than he's been playing which would give them time to groom his eventual replacement. That was the case with Sheldon Brown (and Lito Sheppard) as we still had Vincent and Taylor as starters. I think we were also counting on Edwards contributing more this year, but the injury has set him back for now. Let's not forget that at the time of the draft we also thought Jatavis Brown would be competing for a starting role. 

10 hours ago, Br3 said:

So howie took a qb for gadget plays in the second and a project linebacker in the third? 

cool. 

Whose fumbled 2/5 plays that I’ve personally seen him in the field for. Great pick. 

13 hours ago, Green_Guinness said:

And 4 picks later the Bengals drafted Akeem Davis-Gaither.  The 3rd round isn't the time to draft a raw player who is more developmental than potential immediate contributor at a position where you need immediate contributions.  That was another poor pick, IMO.  Howie trying to be the smartest guy in the room and out-smarted himself.

how nice would Winfield Jr in the second and ADG in the third look now?

21 minutes ago, ToastJenkins said:

how nice would Winfield Jr in the second and ADG in the third look now?

Unfortunately, TB took Winfield Jr early in the 2nd so we didn't have a chance at him.  I was really hoping he was going to fall to us there.  ADG would be our best LB right now.  Right there, you have 2 LBs to choose from and instead of taking the player who can contribute right away you choose the developmental player who is so raw that he's only a stone's throw or 2 from Mailata who was a 7th round pick.  I'm not against drafting high upside developmental athletic players, but put into context of how much time it's going to take to develop them, the draft position and what other options were available at that position then yes, this was a poor pick when you had a solid ready to go player on the board who could help your team immediately.

13 hours ago, brkmsn said:

People keep changing the rules to gripe. Now you don't draft developmental players in the 3rd round either? They all have to contribute from day 1? 

Not saying they have to contribute but they should be ready to contribute. There’s a difference. 

15 hours ago, CaliEagle said:

In fairness we really don't know what this kid has and he isn't getting the chance to show it. It seems like Gerry has some sort of connection within the organization because I don't know how he keeps his starting job. He doesn't even look like a NFL linebacker. We have seen Ward not get a shot for a long time in favor of guys like Hollins. So, this could be a case of favoritism vs. deserving a shot.

Schwartz has to go if he thinks Gerry is a professional 1st unit linebacker.