Offensive play calling....

Portyansky

Is it that bad to just dig up the 2017 play book? We haven't been the same since Reich left. Let's pull out that play book. I don't know if it's the play, or players not executing. I do feel offensively after yesterday we are heading in the right direction. But something is still missing. The only thing I can think of, is the lack of production from our TEs, specifically Ertz. Dude has flat out given up.

Ps. We have sucked at the screen pass since the AR era. Not sure why its so hard to get right. 

You don’t have the 2017 offense that had 2 big backs, Torrey Smith, a younger Jeffery, a legit offensive line, an elite level TE, and an MVP level quarterback. They also had a SB winning quarterback on the bench. This team isn’t close to that group. As a matter of fact this group might not as good as the 2016 group. People need to stop bringing up 2017. It’s not coming back. 2017 play calling is the same as the 2016 play calling. All the plays are called by Doug. Get some talent out there capable of staying healthy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

I dont see 1/100th of the creativity that we had in 2017

People forget, Doug's never scored 40 points with out Reich's done it 3 or 4 times

Is the Eagles QB group better now than 2017? No. Is the Eagles running back group better now than 2017? No Is the Eagles receivers better now than 2017? No. Is the Eagles TE situation better now than 2017? No. Is the Eagles offensive line better now than 2017? No. Nevertheless we have people saying "why can’t we be more like 2017?” Answer is this team isn’t as talented. 

• Like 6

I am hoping and wishing that as the season goes along, they start to gel, be more consistent, get healthier, and improve. Because they can't really do anything about the lack of talent on the field.

2017, they had a much better team. Good players all over the place. Sheeesh, just compare the LBs from then to now. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Answer is this team isn’t as talented. 

I think people are still clinging to a belief that this team can turn things around. That all of a sudden Wentz will look like 2017 Wentz. That the passing game will just click and that our D will start to step up more. Some can't accept that this is a team that's aged, injured and is not going to recapture that form. 

• Like 4

Just now, LacesOut said:

I am hoping and wishing that as the season goes along, they start to gel, be more consistent, get healthier, and improve. Because they can't really do anything about the lack of talent on the field.

2017, they had a much better team. Good players all over the place. Sheeesh, just compare the LBs from then to now. 

Robinson at slot corner was one of the best corners in the league that year. Even Kendricks at linebacker coming in as a backup was outstanding for that team. You could look on both sides of the ball and clearly see a more talented and deeper football team than the current Eagles.

• Like 1

Just now, Bacarty2 said:

So everyone died right after the superbowl? 

The OL got older. A lot older. And injuries then started to play a big factor. The WRs got worse. The RB situation wasn't sufficiently addressed because drafting Sanders isn't enough. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bacarty2 said:

I cling to the idea that if Mcvey, Shannahan, grude, Reich can throw up points with their roster, we should to. 

No HC can succeed when his QB is playing like ish which for the most part Wentz has.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bacarty2 said:

Lol there was a lot of healthy and talented guys on the 2018 and 2019. Both wentz and Foles. Drafted new running backs, signed running backs. traded for all pro wide recievers.

ORRRRR

the creativity went out the door with Reich and it doesn't matter how healthy or talented we are doug cant use it. 

Mack Hollins, I didnt know my role 

Boston Scott, We didnt see his talent on the practice squad

Golden Tate- having a hard time trying to fit an all pro bowl player into our system

Doug, - we're keeping our entire staff lol

I cling to the idea that if Mcvey, Shannahan, grude, Reich can throw up points with their roster, we should to. 

Wentz got hurt and isn’t the same player. Jeffery isn’t the same player. You can go down the line. Funny you mentioned Tate. Terrible move by Howie at the time to give up a 3rd for a position not in need. That team had no run game and no outside receivers. So Howie gets a slot receiver in the middle of the season. Boston Scott, and Corey Clement are undrafted players and crap shoots. Sometimes they work and other times they don’t. Bottom line is if you’re looking at the 2020 Eagles and think they’re better than the 2017 Eagles talent wise then you’re dreaming. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

The OL got older. A lot older. And injuries then started to play a big factor. The WRs got worse. The RB situation wasn't sufficiently addressed because drafting Sanders isn't enough. 

He’s talking about putting up 40 points when this defense can’t stop the Steelers from scoring on 5 consecutive drives. 😂🤣😂 You gotta have the ball in order to score. 

• Like 2

I wonder how consistent Reich would be if his team had the carousel of players the Eagles have had to deal with since he left? He literally lost one player and went from a playoff team to 7-9. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Portyansky said:

Is it that bad to just dig up the 2017 play book? We haven't been the same since Reich left. Let's pull out that play book. I don't know if it's the play, or players not executing. I do feel offensively after yesterday we are heading in the right direction. But something is still missing. The only thing I can think of, is the lack of production from our TEs, specifically Ertz. Dude has flat out given up.

Ps. We have sucked at the screen pass since the AR era. Not sure why its so hard to get right. 

We need a legit WR. The plays looked better because we had a wr able to get separation. 

Right now the screen passes have sucked in part to wentz being bad at throwing them and our line not blocking before the back or wr get the ball. They’re allowed to engage within one yard of the line of scrimmage. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 20dawk4life said:

We need a legit WR. The plays looked better because we had a wr able to get separation. 

Right now the screen passes have sucked in part to wentz being bad at throwing them and our line not blocking before the back or wr get the ball. They’re allowed to engage within one yard of the line of scrimmage. 

Reagor and possibly Fulgham could be legit? Ward is solid. We do very likely need to do more next year though no doubt. Look at what the Steelers have done the last few years. A WR in the first 3 rounds every time. 

I think we need to change a lot with the screen pass. Defenses are able to diagnose it far too easily. Wentz doesn't throw the ball accurately enough to hit the screen in stride and the OL gets blown up on them really quickly and can't get to the second level.

• Like 1

We are playing the 2017 playbook that's the problem, every defensive coordinator knows what Doug is going to do, teams have been pointing out they know what we're running for at least 2 years, but Doug keeps trotting out the same plays.

If you're going to run largely the same offense year on year you're execution needs to be pin sharp, unfortunately our players are getting worse at running it, our screen game hasn't been great for years apart from a slight up tick under Chip, but the last two years our screens have been flat out embarassing, if we manage to disguise it Wentz sails it 3 feet over the guys head, if he throws the ball right the safety or LB arrives at the receiver at the same time as the ball.

We have the least innovative schemes in the NFL on both sides of the ball.

• Like 1

Just now, Cochis_Calhoun said:

We are playing the 2017 playbook that's the problem, every defensive coordinator knows what Doug is going to do, teams have been pointing out they know what we're running for at least 2 years, but Doug keeps trotting out the same plays.

To a large extent I think you are right. I don't know for sure, I haven't analysed examples but it does seem like every defense knows what is coming so the evidence backs up that theory. 

Remember after the SB when we were all so excited about this offense and how creative it is? Remember how we thought it was going to lead the way in the NFL? And the Doug and his coaches would introduce new wrinkles etc. Oh dear. 

23 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I haven't analysed examples but it does seem like every defense knows what is coming so the evidence backs up that theory.

If you haven't analyzed it what evidence do you have? 😕

14 hours ago, Portyansky said:

This is league wide. Screens are just not as effective like back in the day. Esp the WR screen. DBs are just too fast and close that gap real quick to create a very small gain if any at all. Every time I see a WR screen by any team, it looks to be a wasted play. If they get a good gain from it, its only because of a nice break tackle/whiff tackle. HB screens now the edge players can sniff out pretty good based off the reactions of the oline. The only screens I really see effective consistently is a TE screen up the middle. Goedert does them well, however Ertz, no thank you. Save the play for another time. 

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Reagor and possibly Fulgham could be legit? Ward is solid. We do very likely need to do more next year though no doubt. Look at what the Steelers have done the last few years. A WR in the first 3 rounds every time. 

I think we need to change a lot with the screen pass. Defenses are able to diagnose it far too easily. Wentz doesn't throw the ball accurately enough to hit the screen in stride and the OL gets blown up on them really quickly and can't get to the second level.

Yea I like Reagor but he's not healthy yet. Fulgham looks good and I'm wondering if it's because he's been coached by a different staff. If we trade Ertz for a second I'd love to get another wr in this draft early but we have so many other holes it's  gonna be hard to justify. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bacarty2 said:

JP is a shell of his former self

The leader of the defensive backfield (Jenkins) is gone

Johnson hasn't been anywhere near the '17 version of himself (as he battles through recovery of that ankle surgery)

Jeffery (who had a solid '17 season), Smith, and Agholor (who played his best ball in '17 and was widely considered one of the best slot WRs in the league) are replaced with JJAW, Ward, and Hightower/Fulgham/Burnett (at least Fulgham is showing signs of being a baller and Ward is at least a steady presence in the slot and occasionally outside)

Brooks (the best OG in the NFL) is replaced (temporarily) with Pryor

Hicks, Bradham, and Kendricks (that was actually a pretty solid trio) are replaced with Gerry (insert puking emoji), Singleton, and Riley

Robinson (then considered one of the best slot CBs in the league) is replaced with NRC (slot god my arse)

We don't have that big bruiser in the RB position to get those tough yards when we needed them like we had in Blount

Clement is a shell of his 2017 self

This list can go on and on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Perforator said:

If you haven't analyzed it what evidence do you have? 😕

I mean the evidence of what we are seeing on the field. Plays that just simply don't work. An offense that constantly stutters and falls over itself. Defenses that seem to easily diagnose a play before the snap and easily shut the play down.

37 minutes ago, 20dawk4life said:

Yea I like Reagor but he's not healthy yet. Fulgham looks good and I'm wondering if it's because he's been coached by a different staff. If we trade Ertz for a second I'd love to get another wr in this draft early but we have so many other holes it's  gonna be hard to justify. 

I think if we do trade Ertz (and we should) then yeah we will need another receiver for Wentz. Someone who can go after those 50/50 contested throws and give Wentz that safety blanket receiver.

• Like 1

The offense has a bunch of issues.  No team in the NFL could withstand 4 out of 5 starters being out on the offensive line and maintain the same effectiveness.  3 starting WRs and a valuable TE out with injuries, what team would have no dropoff?  But it's not a complete lack of talent, it's a lack of experience.

As far as the running backs, Pedersen is not getting anybody but Sanders involved......Scott, Clement and even Hundley are good situational backs that need to get on the field more.  Sanders is a very good back.  But RBBC is very effective.  

But the biggest issue is Wentz.  He continues to do some things that hampers the efficiency of the offense.  He's holding he ball too long because he's making his reads too slow. His footwork is a mess and that causes passes to be off the mark.....and we've seen him miss a ton of open receivers.  He's taking sacks are really bad times and he's thrown some really bad interceptions because he refuses to give up on a play when the play is gone.

As I said, this offense goes how Wentz goes.  And  Pedersen needs to adjust the playcalling to help Wentz get back to his 2017 form......He played better against the Steelers. 29 points on that defense is dam good.  But he also left too much on the field.  

It's always easy for fans and media to think we have the answers.  But when you see things that have worked in the past, as see those things work on other teams with less talent, you wonder why the eagles offense isn't more dynamic.  

Again, I think Pedersen doesn't trust young players and he shows it in his personnel packages and his playcalling.  Combine that with a QB who is struggling and you end up with an offense that fights against itself.

Screen passes work a lot better when defenses are expecting something else. It's that simple. When your offense and / or QB is struggling in the passing game  and you lose 5 or 6 yards on 1st down, pretty much everybody is expecting screen on 2nd down.