Fire Schwartz Mock rounds 1-3 added

ibleedgreen1990

5 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

I’d go one step further; I wouldn’t touch both the O and D-line at all in the draft!

If the young O-lineman pan out, you won’t have too and if we’re not trading Cox, BG, Jackson and keep Barnett, our DL is fine.

I’d use all my draft resources on getting the CB-, S- and LB-position right, if Fulgham is the real deal a dangerous slot receiver to help CW even more and a backup TE if we lose Ertz in a trade.

Those would be my priorities if I were the GM but the main emphasis in this draft would be to balance the defense out by giving the DC talent at every level.

I would slightly disagree with that.

We need to address C in some way and given our cap situation I am not sure we can do that through FA? And also we need to address DE because who knows how much longer BG will be able to keep going for. And we need to upgrade that position to give us options. Sweat's snaps have to be managed so he can't suddenly play a ton of snaps.

The main emphasis of this draft has to be BPA and to add play makers. Ideally we will add play makers to the defense more so than the offense but I just want exciting players.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I would slightly disagree with that.

We need to address C in some way and given our cap situation I am not sure we can do that through FA? And also we need to address DE because who knows how much longer BG will be able to keep going for. And we need to upgrade that position to give us options. Sweat's snaps have to be managed so he can't suddenly play a ton of snaps.

The main emphasis of this draft has to be BPA and to add play makers. Ideally we will add play makers to the defense more so than the offense but I just want exciting players.

A quality center can be had later in the draft, we’ve put to many resources into our DL and not nearly enough on those positions I mentioned.

See it as Marvel fase 1;

- first you introduce Iron Man (a top corner);

- then you introduce Captain America (a badass LB) and Thor (an initimidating safety);

- Shield is already established (our OL and DL) but Black Widow is still needed (a dangerous slot);

- CW is our Nick Fury!

- Falcon (Fulgham), War Machine (Goedert), Black Panther (Reagor), Hawkeye (Sanders) are set.

We have to start somewhere to beat Thanos and his gang (Saints, Chiefs, Seahawks, Ravens, Packers etc). 😂

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

A quality center can be had later in the draft, we’ve put to many resources into our DL and not nearly enough on those positions I mentioned.

But you said you wouldn't use any picks on OL or DL.

😝

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But you said you wouldn't use any picks on OL or DL.

😝

I meant high draft picks...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ray75 said:

Even if we don’t pick in the top 10, I’m not a fan of taking a center in the first. Period!

McCleod is playing good football btw and has one more year left on his contract. Parks hasn’t played yet and Wallace is a rookie. We don’t know what we have there! Let’s wait and see first.

We could definitely use a good young safety but outside CB has been our achilles heel for about 10 years now. Last time we had a good duo; Asante Samuel and Sheldon Brown. That’s unacceptable!.

No matter the scheme, Maddox is NOT an outside corner or do you think he’ll grow 3 inches taller in a new one?! 

We definitely need to start valuing the LB position more but before I’d use two relatively high draft picks on LB’s I first want to know what we have in Taylor and Bradley. Therefor I’d start by using just one high draft pick on the position...

This isn’t madden. You can’t just slide lineman around and expect a seamless transition. Seumalu might have some college experience but himself is a mid round guard. He isn’t that great of a guard, we haven’t noticed a drop off with a rookie coming in, now you wanna move him to guard and weaken not one position but two? Won’t have good results there. 

a rookie cb isn’t going to give our qb time in the pocket and help our offense score points. Our defense has been our strong point this year but then Schwartz messes it up by calling insanely bad plays. Replace him and we fix a lot. On offense we add someone who will help establish the run to set up the pa pass. So we need an o line to protect. 

Curious why you want to rule out an entire position? Expecially when it’s one of need and like I pointed out we have no clear replacement already. Based on the amount of misses Howie has had in the past it makes zero sense to leave positions of weakenes a weakness so we can "wait and see” if howie didn’t go full howie on these ones.

Can’t rebuild the team in one year. But there are several positions far more depleted that cb2 and that need attention ahead of that. It’s all about how the chips fall. To rule out a position completely in the first round is not smart. 

there’s also rounds 4-7 left in this mock so we could always get competition at cb later. Far more depth at cb in this draft then at center. 

4 hours ago, Ray75 said:

I meant high draft picks...

Even if it’s great value, you would pass because of past draft history and the position the player plays?

27 minutes ago, ibleedgreen1990 said:

Even if it’s great value, you would pass because of past draft history and the position the player plays?

Normally I wouldn’t but after using a first on Dillard last year and neglecting those other positions for decades, yeah I would at least in next years draft!

In the last 12 years, about 80 % of our first round draft capital was spend on either offensive or defensive lineman. The rest on WR’s (Maclin, Agholor and Reagor) and one QB (Wentz). We haven’t drafted a CB in the first for 20 years (Sheppard) and we’d have to go way back for a first round LB or Safety.

That philosophy has cost us big time. People who know me longer on the EMB know that I want that to change for years now. That mantra "we only draft linemen, receivers and QB’s” in the first, isn’t working anymore.

Look at the CB and LB position for the last 15 years. About every year we have a new combination of players at those positions because Howie simply doesn’t value them. He’s been taking flyers on FA’s and mid round prospects for years in the hope one sticks.

The upcoming draft is lining up perfect for us;

- top heavy CB-class;

- incredibly deep and talented LB, S and WR class.

- a good center can be had in the mid to late rounds. I’d take Trey Hill or Alec Lindstrom late 2nd or even in 3rd round over Creed Humphrey in the 1st, 99 out of 100 times.

1 hour ago, ibleedgreen1990 said:

This isn’t madden. You can’t just slide lineman around and expect a seamless transition. Seumalu might have some college experience but himself is a mid round guard. He isn’t that great of a guard, we haven’t noticed a drop off with a rookie coming in, now you wanna move him to guard and weaken not one position but two? Won’t have good results there. 

a rookie cb isn’t going to give our qb time in the pocket and help our offense score points. Our defense has been our strong point this year but then Schwartz messes it up by calling insanely bad plays. Replace him and we fix a lot. On offense we add someone who will help establish the run to set up the pa pass. So we need an o line to protect. 

Curious why you want to rule out an entire position? Expecially when it’s one of need and like I pointed out we have no clear replacement already. Based on the amount of misses Howie has had in the past it makes zero sense to leave positions of weakenes a weakness so we can "wait and see” if howie didn’t go full howie on these ones.

Can’t rebuild the team in one year. But there are several positions far more depleted that cb2 and that need attention ahead of that. It’s all about how the chips fall. To rule out a position completely in the first round is not smart. 

there’s also rounds 4-7 left in this mock so we could always get competition at cb later. Far more depth at cb in this draft then at center. 

Looks who’s talking! I’ve been doing mocks on here for years, boy! Always try to be grounded and realistic!

This ain’t Madden?! You just posted a mock in which you had the Eagles taking two LB’s and two Safeties in the first 3 rounds. If that ain’t Madden... 😂

1 minute ago, Ray75 said:

Looks who’s talking! I’ve been doing mocks on here for years, boy! Always try to be grounded and realistic!

This ain’t Madden?! You just posted a mock in which you had the Eagles taking two LB’s and two Safeties in the first 2 rounds. If that ain’t Madden... 😂

As have I. Maybe not as long as you but since 2014. The Eagles have actually doubled down on positions before in the past. You've also recently posted that its better to double down on positions than to risk having one and missing, did you not? 

Taking two players at our two largest positions of need seems unrealistic to you? I think ruling out players based on positions they play regardless of talent is a bit ridiculous and pretty unrealistic. But agree to disagree I guess. 

44 minutes ago, ibleedgreen1990 said:

As have I. Maybe not as long as you but since 2014. The Eagles have actually doubled down on positions before in the past. You've also recently posted that its better to double down on positions than to risk having one and missing, did you not? 

Taking two players at our two largest positions of need seems unrealistic to you? I think ruling out players based on positions they play regardless of talent is a bit ridiculous and pretty unrealistic. But agree to disagree I guess. 

You’re mocking me, boy?! Bring it on!

We have a lot of holes. Outside corner is one of them and a more premium position. One we haven’t addressed properly in the draft for nearly two decades.

18 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

You’re mocking me, boy?! Bring it on!

We have a lot of holes. Outside corner is one of them and a more premium position...

Not mocking you haha. Just pointing out that you countered your own argument on another post and what you called unrealistic is something the Eagles haven actually done in the past. 

I agree we need help at CB. I just think even if we have a battle between Leblanc and Maddox and go with the winner and have constant safety help... that would leave a smaller hole than not having a legit center. 

1 hour ago, ibleedgreen1990 said:

Not mocking you haha. Just pointing out that you countered your own argument on another post and what you called unrealistic is something the Eagles haven actually done in the past. 

I agree we need help at CB. I just think even if we have a battle between Leblanc and Maddox and go with the winner and have constant safety help... that would leave a smaller hole than not having a legit center. 

I can’t recall in what post I suggested we should double dip but I’m not arguing I didn’t say that...

Whatever...

If Kelce retires, we definitely have to use a pick on an interior offensive lineman. But...I’m pretty excited about the young guys and want to see them play it out. We might have something in Mailata or Dillard at LT, Driscoll is pretty versatile and can play all positions on the line except center, Wanogho could develop into a nice swing tackle and Herbig is holding his own out there too. Unless you don’t view Seumalo as an option at center, I wouldn’t use a first on an offensive lineman. That’s all I’m saying...

What we don’t have and haven’t had for years is a handpicked stud LB (Hicks could have been), outside CB (Jones, Douglas, Marsh were misses) and safety (nor Allen nor Jarrett nor Wolff could step into Dawk’s footsteps).

We had to sign Jenkins and McCleod in FA to deploy a respectable safety duo but had to watch horrible play from that position for years prior to that.

We could all change that in one draft if we go corner first and address both the LB and Safety position in the second round. If we hit on those selections, we won’t have to worry about the 2nd and 3rd line of our defense for at least a while IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ray75 said:

I can’t recall in what post I suggested we should double dip but I’m not arguing I didn’t say that...

Whatever...

If Kelce retires, we definitely have to use a pick on an interior offensive lineman. But...I’m pretty excited about the young guys and want to see them play it out. We might have something in Mailata or Dillard at LT, Driscoll is pretty versatile and can play all positions on the line except center, Wanogho could develop into a nice swing tackle and Herbig is holding his own out there too. Unless you don’t view Seumalo as an option at center, I wouldn’t use a first on an offensive lineman. That’s all I’m saying...

What we don’t have and haven’t had for years is a handpicked stud LB (Hicks could have been), outside CB (Jones, Douglas, Marsh were misses) and safety (nor Allen nor Jarrett nor Wolff could step into Dawk’s footsteps).

We had to sign Jenkins and McCleod in FA to deploy a respectable safety duo but had to watch horrible play from that position for years prior to that.

We could all change that in one draft if we go corner first and address both the LB and Safety position in the second round. If we hit on those selections, we won’t have to worry about the 2nd and 3rd line of our defense for at least a while IMO.

I can definitely agree with that. And we definitely need some help at all of those positions.

it starts with replacing howie. Glad most of us agree that needs to happen to some degree. At the very least take away draft control. Seeing us move toward a high pick is less intriguing with howie being the one to spend it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We're $60M over the cap - second worst in the league. Going to lose all of our own free agents which includes 2 DE's, 2 corners, 3 safeties, 2 linebackers, a QB, and a running back. 

Ray's right, we don't need any offensive linemen but he's dead wrong to - we absolutely need defensive ends to replace Curry and Barnett. 

The draft has to start with replenishing these losses. 

I can see Jeremiah coming in as a #2 to Howie but can't see him replacing him.

Don't like Quinn at all - his defenses were terrible in Atlanta and wasn't he the guy who fired Marquand Manuel. 

No way McCown makes it as OC - he needs to start as a position coach. Regardless, I am not looking forward to the moaning and groaning when Deuce doesn't get the job and someone else does. 

Too much dead money hit to trade Cox

Ertz will get traded but I don't think we'll get great value

Graham needs to stay another year. We'll be $64M over the cap and can't afford to retain Barnett at $10M a year. Check out overthecap.com - read it and weep when you look at 2021.

Clement won't be a cut - he's a free agent who won't be resigned

Agree on the "let walk" except for Ward

Those restructures are absolutely necessary. So are Cox, Slay and Hargrave. 

Fulgham - no brainer, good call my friend

Understand what you said about the draft , but put the fact that Creed has 3rd round grades into your thinking. I like walterfootball.com and drafttek.com for projections at this time of the year 

We have other free agents - Riley, LeBlanc, James, Ford, Ridgeway, Curry, and Johnston. Except for Johnston, they all walk too. 

My draft - 

1 CB, 2 DE, 3 RB, 4 (Ertz) TE, 5 C, 6 S, 6(comp) QB, 7 S, 7 comp CB

Keep it coming  -thanks for the good read. 

12 hours ago, Rob331 said:

I can see Jeremiah coming in as a #2 to Howie but can't see him replacing him.

Don't like Quinn at all - his defenses were terrible in Atlanta and wasn't he the guy who fired Marquand Manuel. 

No way McCown makes it as OC - he needs to start as a position coach. Regardless, I am not looking forward to the moaning and groaning when Deuce doesn't get the job and someone else does. 

Too much dead money hit to trade Cox

Ertz will get traded but I don't think we'll get great value

Graham needs to stay another year. We'll be $64M over the cap and can't afford to retain Barnett at $10M a year. Check out overthecap.com - read it and weep when you look at 2021.

Clement won't be a cut - he's a free agent who won't be resigned

Agree on the "let walk" except for Ward

Those restructures are absolutely necessary. So are Cox, Slay and Hargrave. 

Fulgham - no brainer, good call my friend

Understand what you said about the draft , but put the fact that Creed has 3rd round grades into your thinking. I like walterfootball.com and drafttek.com for projections at this time of the year 

We have other free agents - Riley, LeBlanc, James, Ford, Ridgeway, Curry, and Johnston. Except for Johnston, they all walk too. 

My draft - 

1 CB, 2 DE, 3 RB, 4 (Ertz) TE, 5 C, 6 S, 6(comp) QB, 7 S, 7 comp CB

Keep it coming  -thanks for the good read. 

Sorry brother but Creed Humphrey is a borderline first rounder.

You’re relying to much on Walterfootball and Drafttek and have to start making up your own mind about prospects.

Piece of advise; read multiple scouting reports, watch some game tape, a highlight reel here or there, keep the Eagles tendencies and what they’re looking for in a player (from both a talent, character and scheme perspective) in the back of your mind and then try to envision them on this team.

Use Thedraftnetwork, draft blaster, with the first pick etc etc in combination with Walterfootball and Drafttek. Plus watch some top prospect lists on YouTube etc. Heck, use all resources but in the end you have to make up your own mind.

It’s easy for a outsider to have the Eagles taking a safety or LB in the first just because we could use one. All self proclaimed draft experts do it. Those guys might know a think or two about a prospect but hardly take team tendencies into account. Eagles haven’t drafted a S or LB in the first in decades so you can give them one of those all you want but I simply can’t take that serious...

Walterfootball is a great example of that; I’ve seen them projecting a safety, LB or corner to the Eagles in the first a trillion times. They only look at prospect and team need and although they have a good track record projecting first round prospects, beyond round one they’re usually way off. 

Thanks my friend, but the biggest need is a serviceable corner.

I base my mocks on the Eagles projected needs not other mocks. Once I figure out the needs I look at the ratings of the various services. 

This will be a very interesting year. 

13 hours ago, Rob331 said:

Thanks my friend, but the biggest need is a serviceable corner.

I base my mocks on the Eagles projected needs not other mocks. Once I figure out the needs I look at the ratings of the various services. 

This will be a very interesting year. 

It’ll definitely be an interesting year.

I’d love to go corner in the first. I’m saying it for years now; hit on a good corner early in the draft and you won’t have to spend big in FA on one.

Tired of all the Williams, Carroll, Maxwell, Asomugha signings. Just draft a good one and you won’t have to worry for at least 4-5 years. That’s the reason I was rooting hard for Sidney Jones to pan out.

But I still think they’ll go in another direction in the first. DE is the most obvious IMO with BG getting up there in age and his heir possibly not on the roster yet.