Bell has just been released...

GeorgeM37

Should the FO try to pick him up? Or does this not matter because we have a stud in Sanders? Or because they don't actually utilize the running game? 

What I am referring to is Le'veon Bell being released by the Jets.....

Do you think that Bell would be happy being a 2nd string RB and only get about 5 touches a game? I don't.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CaliEagle said:

Do you think that Bell would be happy being a 2nd string RB and only get about 5 touches a game? I don't.

That was immediately my thought....I wanted to see what the rest of the board thought about it

I think the Chargers might be a good place for Bell. Ekeler is out. They could use a vet there and he would get quite a few carries there.

3 minutes ago, GeorgeM37 said:

That was immediately my thought....I wanted to see what the rest of the board thought about it

Also, our OL is having problems run blocking. So, Bell would sit back there and wait for holes that would never arrive.  The Eagles need a RB who can push the pile forward.

An overpriced 28 year old RB who has lost a step would not fix anything here.

Just now, philafan4o8 said:

I bet he goes to the Giants. He can start over Freeman

Giants are in tank mode and have a franchise back returning next year.  I don't think there's much reason for them to make mid-season marginal improvements.

I bet he goes to the Giants. He can start over Freeman

The Giants won't contend, so it would be a waste for them to pay him the money he would want to sign there. The Giants should just go with what they have and get a top 5 pick.

He's going to want to get paid and will be a problem in the locker room when Doug goes away from the run lol

3 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

An overpriced 28 year old RB who has lost a step would not fix anything here.

Giants are in tank mode and have a franchise back returning next year.  I don't think there's much reason for them to make mid-season marginal improvements.

2 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

The Giants won't contend, so it would be a waste for them to pay him the money he would want to sign there. The Giants should just go with what they have and get a top 5 pick.

Lol yall are giving the NFC East too much credit. The Giants can still win the division. If you watched the Dallas game, the Giants did not look like a team that is trying to tank.

Lol yall are giving the NFC East too much credit. The Giants can still win the division. If you watched the Dallas game, the Giants did not look like a team that is trying to tank.

None of the NFC East teams should invest in Bell regardless if they could win the division or not.

1 minute ago, philafan4o8 said:

I saw that game. They almost actually won it....Dallas had to pull out every trick in their bag....it was not an easy win for them

Sounds like I'm in the minority. Our run blocking is very good. We managed to spring Sanders for 70 yards against the best run defense in the league. They keep trying to run Sanders up the middle but it's just not what he does best. Bell is capable of running between the tackles and being more physical as well as having good hands.

He looked so-so with the Jets because he was trying to run behind the same line that gave up 10 sacks to us last year. Put him behind our line and he'll look much better and offer a more consistent 3 down back. So, no, I don't think he would make a good 2nd RB but he would be a good 1st RB with Sanders as a 2nd RB change of pace back. If used correctly, which is also suspect, he would give us a solid run game that more defenses would have to respect and open up some other options.

Oh, and the Jets are still on the hook for 6mil of his salary for this year no matter where he signs so vet min anyone?

Provided he is truly healthy. He did just come off short term IR.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Vileborg said:

Oh, and the Jets are still on the hook for 6mil of his salary for this year no matter where he signs so vet min anyone?

This is the real case for signing him. The Eagles are in desperate need of a #2 RB with some size who can close out games and also be the guy if Sanders goes down. They could sign Bell for the price they're willing to pay (as you mentioned), which is basically nothing. Jordan Howard, criticized for lack of explosiveness, saw his YPC increase by .7 in this offense from his last season in Chicago to 2019 with the Eagles. Bell is probably still a better player than Howard, and certainly more versatile. You could also make the argument that giving Sanders fewer carries this year actually helps his long-term outlook.

Even with all that, I still wouldn't make the move. I don't trust Pederson right now with entitled veteran players, and Bell has certainly projected entitlement over the past few years. Eagles can find that #2 RB on the scrap heap some place.

• Like 1

No thanks. A couple of years ago I would have been all for it but not where this team is at. And we have Sanders. Do we take away snaps from Sanders for Bell? A lot of us have felt we would like to see Sanders involved more not less. 

4 hours ago, Saltpeter said:

This is the real case for signing him. The Eagles are in desperate need of a #2 RB with some size who can close out games and also be the guy if Sanders goes down. They could sign Bell for the price they're willing to pay (as you mentioned), which is basically nothing. Jordan Howard, criticized for lack of explosiveness, saw his YPC increase by .7 in this offense from his last season in Chicago to 2019 with the Eagles. Bell is probably still a better player than Howard, and certainly more versatile. You could also make the argument that giving Sanders fewer carries this year actually helps his long-term outlook.

Even with all that, I still wouldn't make the move. I don't trust Pederson right now with entitled veteran players, and Bell has certainly projected entitlement over the past few years. Eagles can find that #2 RB on the scrap heap some place.

And he also could be used at WR a lot given the injuries there.  I think if Bell came here he would be told he would mainly be used at WR.  

9 hours ago, wyote said:

I've heard he's lost a step, and it doesn't sound like he's a charmer in the locker room anyway.

At 28, I doubt he's lost a step.......running behind a lousy offensive line can make it seem that way.

He's a me-first cancer........I doubt the eagles want that around.

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

No thanks. A couple of years ago I would have been all for it but not where this team is at. And we have Sanders. Do we take away snaps from Sanders for Bell? A lot of us have felt we would like to see Sanders involved more not less. 

Bell is a better running back than Sanders......going to the Jets was an idiotic move by Bell.   A combination of Bell and Sanders would be formidable.

BUT, Bell is a cancer, he isn't about to split time, he's me-first, and he'll want a ton of cash....nothing about him makes sense for the eagles.

No thanks. He is a good rb but we don’t need another reason to take sanders off the field. We are already in cap hell too. 

21 minutes ago, birdman#12 said:

Bell is a better running back than Sanders......going to the Jets was an idiotic move by Bell.   A combination of Bell and Sanders would be formidable.

BUT, Bell is a cancer, he isn't about to split time, he's me-first, and he'll want a ton of cash....nothing about him makes sense for the eagles.

Bell might be a better all around RB but Sanders is still damn good. And I'm not sure a combo would work. Not because of Bell but because I just don't think in this offense the touches are there for both to get significant touches. 

• Like 1

All valid points you have. I just think in case Sanders goes down again we need a reliable backup because Boston Scott is not it (not that he isn't good, but he is too smallish to be an every down back and the Eagles already don't use him the right way)

47 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Bell might be a better all around RB but Sanders is still damn good. And I'm not sure a combo would work. Not because of Bell but because I just don't think in this offense the touches are there for both to get significant touches. 

Sanders is a very good back, no argument there.  But Bell, behind a good line, is one of the best in the league. But he's also 3 years removed from playing behind a good line, so maybe that has taken away some of his effectiveness. 

The eagles don't run enough, but they are both excellent receivers...so whether running or passing, I think they could be an effective combination. 

The other issue to consider though, is what if Sanders gets hurt?  Bell could be a pretty dam good insurance policy.  But I doubt the eagles have much interest.

• Like 1