Power Struggle Brewing Between Doug and Howie?

time2rock

A recent story is suggesting there is an escalating power struggle between Doug and Howie.  It mentions the firing of Groh and Walch last year (in that Doug's decision to retain them was overridden by Howie and was super pissed when he was forced to fire them) and now suggests Howie may now be influencing those players included as game day actives. 

If there is any truth to this, he (Howie) is completely overstepping his boundaries.  But it is likely also further strengthens the belief that he isn't going anywhere soon like many here (myself included) want - if the season goes in the tank and someone is on the hot seat it appears more likely to be Doug.  The only thing I can think of to counter that thought would be that Lurie is aware of this and perhaps is giving Howie enough rope to hang himself, in much the same way he did with Kelly when he won the power struggle over Howie and took over personnel control for one season.

https://heavy.com/sports/eagles-power-struggle-doug-pederson-howie-roseman/

I don't think there is much doubt that Howie will remain and Doug will be the one who pays the price. 

Whilst I think Doug has made mistakes I'm absolutely convinced that Howie is the major problem here. 

• Like 5

Dude you cant be successful like that.  If this is true and Lurie allows this then he's as much responsible for this fiasco as anyone.

• Like 2

If Howie were indeed shown the door, I'd hate to see personnel control be given to Doug (in much the same way Andy acquired it here when they canned Modrak). 

If Doug is shown the door and Howie is retained, I really don't trust him to make the right hire in a new HC and our personnel issues will continue.  

• Like 2

I don't know. Anyone who's worked in management can tell you that conflict is part of the deal.  Of course Howie wants to talk about who's active and who's not.  The firing of the assistants sounds like a cluster but maybe Doug got out ahead of himself.  Who gets last call on the coaching staff? 

Not sure how much of this is a legit power struggle and how much is the routine headbutting that goes on inside many organizations. 

58 minutes ago, Portyansky said:

No way Howie stays over Doug. 

Bruh look at Howie’s history and you will realize the pile of actual football people Howie has survived over and gained more power as they all got fired. Don’t underestimate Howie’s ability to survive. 

• Like 3

Color me unsurprised here. I’ve been saying since the forced out Doug’s coaches that it was only a matter of time before he wants more power. At this point it seems like Schwartz has more power than Doug. On a side note I like how (not really) Schwartz basically threw Doug under the bus saying that it was Doug and Howie who picks the plays, and Doug was the one who didn’t call time out in Pittsburgh. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Bruh look at Howie’s history and you will realize the pile of actual football people Howie has survived over and gained more power as they all got fired. Don’t underestimate Howie’s ability to survive. 

Sad but true

Did doug sign 72 year old jason Peter’s? Did doug sign a washed up vinny curry? Did doug release Douglas and jones who are thriving on new teams?  Did doug sign desoft Jackson?  Did doug give alshon a ridiculous extension?  

you can’t coach a can of spam to be filet mignon. The lack of talent is on howie.  Sure he got some right, but he got more wrong than a successful gm should and has handcuffed the coaches.  Nate Gerry has no business being on an nfl field.  We have zero linebackers behind him.  Jalen mills has no business being on the nfl field I don’t acre how much green paint he puts in his hair he’s garbage.  Malcolm Jenkins didn’t want the bank, he just wanted enough to be respected and he would have been a huge upgrade over anyone else at the safety spot.  We have a rugby player trying to learn football protecting a 100m investment.  If anything doug and the coaches deserve a raise for bringing him along like they have.  

im not a gym shorts fan because of his scheme but he also has no talent to work with behind the d line other than slay and once he figured out he can’t let slay plan man up and press the defense started looking better. When teams can force zone, it’s a field day for them. 

I would fire howie today.  Shorts will take a new job somewhere else next year.  I sense He’s fed up with this situation and I can’t blame him.  

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

DP is the one that got us the SB and to post seasons with all the injuries. 1 year contracts can only take you so far and horrible drafts deserves a firing.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

If Howie were indeed shown the door, I'd hate to see personnel control be given to Doug (in much the same way Andy acquired it here when they canned Modrak). 

If Doug is shown the door and Howie is retained, I really don't trust him to make the right hire in a new HC and our personnel issues will continue.  

So the Eagles are screwed either way.

Lose - lose situation.

4 hours ago, LacesOut said:

So the Eagles are screwed either way.

Lose - lose situation.

Only if Howie is fired and they give personnel control to Doug.  If Lurie hires a new GM that has a real eye for talent then definitely not a bad situation.  

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Color me unsurprised here. I’ve been saying since the forced out Doug’s coaches that it was only a matter of time before he wants more power. At this point it seems like Schwartz has more power than Doug. On a side note I like how (not really) Schwartz basically threw Doug under the bus saying that it was Doug and Howie who picks the plays, and Doug was the one who didn’t call time out in Pittsburgh. 

Yup. Schwartz should have been fired after that game. 

• Like 1

Doug is, for better or worse, Jeffrey Lurie's employee.

Howie is, for better or worse, Jeffrey Lurie's adopted son.

Advantage...Howie.

While Jeffrey Lurie should let Howie go, I am 99.999% sure he won't.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Been saying for a few weeks now. Until Lurie wakes up and starts seeing Howie for what he is and removes him entirely, every other organizational change will be simply painting over rust. I really hope there are external factors chirping in Lurie’s ear about him. 

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Been saying for a few weeks now. Until Lurie wakes up and starts seeing Howie for what he is and removes him entirely, every other organizational change will be simply painting over rust. I really hope there are external factors chirping in Lurie’s ear about him. 

Completely agree. Doug is hamstrung by this roster. The roster has been built by Howie. I do think Doug has to take some blame but he's working with an ageing and injury plagued roster. Howie is the main culprit in all of this. 

• Like 1

Howie needs to bring in someone (better than Joe) to run drafting.  It's almost a 'must' at this point.  A 'football' guy with a proven track record, not a flier.  That would solve one problem.

Doug has this season to get the team and Wentz (or potentially Hurts) back on track.  Sorta of a 'show me' type situation.  If he can pull that off, that would solve the second problem.  But it's a pretty big 'if' at this point.

Don't think it's a power struggle between them per se because there are two different problems that can be solved separately.

10 minutes ago, Miami said:

Howie needs to bring in someone (better than Joe) to run drafting.  It's almost a 'must' at this point.  A 'football' guy with a proven track record, not a flier.  That would solve one problem.

Back to step 2 I see.

The Howie Roseman Cycle:

1) Player is a bust, fire position coach.

2) Hire a "football guy" to assist with draft. Howie can't do it all by himself! He's just a numbers guy!!!!

3) Blame busts on the "football guy" getting in the way (Barnett, S. Jones, Mack Hollins, PUMPHREY, Gibson, Arcega-Whiteside, etc.)

4) Fire/move on from football guy so Howie can handle the draft alone without any distractions

5) Repeat Steps 1-4

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, ToDie4Eagles said:

Back to step 2 I see.

The Howie Roseman Cycle:

2) Hire a "football guy" to assist with draft. Howie can't do it all by himself! He's just a numbers guy!!!!

3) Blame busts on the "football guy" getting in the way (Barnett, S. Jones, Mack Hollins, PUMPHREY, Gibson, Arcega-Whiteside, etc.)

4) Fire/move on from football guy so Howie can handle the draft alone without any distractions

5) Repeat Steps 1-4

Yep yep yep. All the while Howie survives but the problems persist. 

Hmm...

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ToDie4Eagles said:

Back to step 2 I see.

The Howie Roseman Cycle:

5) Repeat Steps 1-4

Absolutely correct.

I said it in the rebuilding the team thread.  Put aside your thoughts on coaches and players of who should be fired or cut.  You have to start with Howie or anyone who replaces the coaches and players are just stepping into the dysfunction.

They need to gut this team from top to bottom and get a real GM to run things properly.  I'm not saying literally every coach and player has to go, obviously you keep the good ones.  But the philosophy, the way they organize themselves, scouting, medical, conditioning, everything needs a face lift.  And they need the right person leading the organization and having final say on all personnel decisions and that guy ain't Howie.  

• Like 2