Power Struggle Brewing Between Doug and Howie?

time2rock

1 hour ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Been saying for a few weeks now. Until Lurie wakes up and starts seeing Howie for what he is and removes him entirely, every other organizational change will be simply painting over rust. I really hope there are external factors chirping in Lurie’s ear about him. 

I do think Lurie steps in when needed.  He's fired coaches when it was time.  He was more insistent on finding a long-term QB solution and was heavily involved in getting Wentz, even going to dinner with his family in ND on the visit and all that.  If it's true that he personally wanted changed to the offensive coaches then he's even more involved than ever.

I normally don't put much stock in these kind of speculative reports but you do have to wonder with some of the stories in the last couple years.  

Hopefully he sees it as dysfunctional, has outside counsel advise him it's time.

1 hour ago, Miami said:

Howie needs to bring in someone (better than Joe) to run drafting.  It's almost a 'must' at this point.  A 'football' guy with a proven track record, not a flier.  That would solve one problem.

Doug has this season to get the team and Wentz (or potentially Hurts) back on track.  Sorta of a 'show me' type situation.  If he can pull that off, that would solve the second problem.  But it's a pretty big 'if' at this point.

Don't think it's a power struggle between them per se because there are two different problems that can be solved separately.

Hey!! :angry: 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, NOTW said:

I do think Lurie steps in when needed.  He's fired coaches when it was time.  He was more insistent on finding a long-term QB solution and was heavily involved in getting Wentz, even going to dinner with his family in ND on the visit and all that.  If it's true that he personally wanted changed to the offensive coaches then he's even more involved than ever.

I normally don't put much stock in these kind of speculative reports but you do have to wonder with some of the stories in the last couple years.  

Hopefully he sees it as dysfunctional, has outside counsel advise him it's time.

Completely agree with the bolded line. Exactly what I was getting at. 

I can be a bit hard headed when it comes to rumors of dysfunction, but you only hear so many stories before thinking there must be some truth to it all. Even though I was fine with Groh and Walch getting axed, I don’t want Howie involved in that. I believe a HC should have autonomy over his staff. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Portyansky said:

DP is the one that got us the SB and to post seasons with all the injuries. 1 year contracts can only take you so far and horrible drafts deserves a firing.

I don't think you can discount Howie's contribution:

2017:

03/07Extended a second-round tender to RFA TE Trey Burton.

03/09Agreed to terms on a one-year contract with WR Alshon Jeffery.

03/09Agreed to terms on a three-year contract with WR Torrey Smith.

03/10Agreed to terms on a three-year deal with G/C Stefen Wisniewski.

03/13Released QB Chase Daniel.

03/13Agreed to terms on a two-year contract with QB Nick Foles.

03/28Agreed to terms on a two-year deal with DE Chris Long.

03/28Agreed to terms on a one-year contract with CB Patrick Robinson.

04/04Acquired DT Timmy Jernigan and a third-round pick (99th overall) from Baltimore in exchange for a third-round pick (74th overall).

04/27Selected DE Derek Barnett with the No. 14 overall pick in the 2017 NFL Draft.

05/11Signed the following rookie free agents: RB Corey Clement, DT Winston Craig, QB Jerod Evans, CB Randall Goforth, P Cameron Johnston, C Tyler Orlosky, S Tre Sullivan, DT Charles Walker, WR Greg Ward, and CB Jomal Wiltz.

05/17Agreed to terms on a one-year deal with RB LeGarrette Blount.

07/26Traded G/T Allen Barbre to Denver for a 2019 conditional draft pick.

07/26Waived DE Marcus Smith.

08/03Agreed to terms with S Corey Graham on a one-year contract.

08/11Acquired CB Ronald Darby from Buffalo in exchange for WR Jordan Matthews and a 2018 third-round pick.

08/15Released RB Ryan Mathews.

08/21Acquired a 2018 fifth-round pick from Seattle in exchange for T Matt Tobin and a 2018 seventh-pick.

09/12Agreed to terms with K Jake Elliott and placed K Caleb Sturgis on Injured Reserve.

10/31Acquired RB Jay Ajayi from Miami in exchange for a 2018 fourth-round pick.

11/01Promoted QB Nate Sudfeld from the practice squad and waived DT Justin Hamilton.

12/12Placed QB Carson Wentz on Injured Reserve.

46 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

I don't think you can discount Howie's contribution:

2017:

03/07Extended a second-round tender to RFA TE Trey Burton.

03/09Agreed to terms on a one-year contract with WR Alshon Jeffery.

03/09Agreed to terms on a three-year contract with WR Torrey Smith.

03/10Agreed to terms on a three-year deal with G/C Stefen Wisniewski.

03/13Released QB Chase Daniel.

03/13Agreed to terms on a two-year contract with QB Nick Foles.

03/28Agreed to terms on a two-year deal with DE Chris Long.

03/28Agreed to terms on a one-year contract with CB Patrick Robinson.

04/04Acquired DT Timmy Jernigan and a third-round pick (99th overall) from Baltimore in exchange for a third-round pick (74th overall).

04/27Selected DE Derek Barnett with the No. 14 overall pick in the 2017 NFL Draft.

05/11Signed the following rookie free agents: RB Corey Clement, DT Winston Craig, QB Jerod Evans, CB Randall Goforth, P Cameron Johnston, C Tyler Orlosky, S Tre Sullivan, DT Charles Walker, WR Greg Ward, and CB Jomal Wiltz.

05/17Agreed to terms on a one-year deal with RB LeGarrette Blount.

07/26Traded G/T Allen Barbre to Denver for a 2019 conditional draft pick.

07/26Waived DE Marcus Smith.

08/03Agreed to terms with S Corey Graham on a one-year contract.

08/11Acquired CB Ronald Darby from Buffalo in exchange for WR Jordan Matthews and a 2018 third-round pick.

08/15Released RB Ryan Mathews.

08/21Acquired a 2018 fifth-round pick from Seattle in exchange for T Matt Tobin and a 2018 seventh-pick.

09/12Agreed to terms with K Jake Elliott and placed K Caleb Sturgis on Injured Reserve.

10/31Acquired RB Jay Ajayi from Miami in exchange for a 2018 fourth-round pick.

11/01Promoted QB Nate Sudfeld from the practice squad and waived DT Justin Hamilton.

12/12Placed QB Carson Wentz on Injured Reserve.

Yes, lots of bandaids and trust me I'm grateful being able to see a SB win before I die. BUT, look where we are now.

Side note. I honestly wanna see Gym Shorts fired before DP or Howie. NE exposed our D in the SB. And our D hasn't been the same. Should be Jim, Howie, Doug. In that order. Unfortunately I don't think any of these things will happen during the season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Hey!! :angry: 

You would draft better than Howie!

• Haha 2

Howie needs to go. Between the poor drafts and the very much self-inflicted upcoming cap hell, he has been pretty poor to put it mildly since the SB season. The needless extensions, old and injury-prone roster, trading away picks for minor upgrades.

Howie’s moves have just been puzzling. Even recently, whilst more than likely to be totally inconsequential, we need to be looking to build for the future with young guys. The Toohill release therefore made no sense yesterday as it risked him on waivers and now he’s gone to a division rival despite a good camp 🤷🏽‍♂️. And we continue to carry 10 OL, 7 WR and 4 RBs

Hire a new GM and he can make the call on Doug. 

8 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Probably, and I don't even follow college lol.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Portyansky said:

I honestly wanna see Gym Shorts fired before DP or Howie. NE exposed our D in the SB. And our D hasn't been the same.

I've been saying this for years.  If Foles didn't go into God mode then he would've been canned a long time ago.  

• Like 3

I think Lurie can't imagine life without Howie and that's why he survived for so long. I just think there is some kind of block, fear, or other mental issue when Lurie even thinks about Howie being gone. It just feels that way...how he lets Howie F up and nothing bad happens to him. Howie escapes accountability.

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Yep yep yep. All the while Howie survives but the problems persist. 

Hmm...

The crappy drafts continue during all those changes ... and there is only one constant.  🤔

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, time2rock said:

The crappy drafts continue during all those changes ... and there is only one constant.  🤔

You can say that again!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

56 minutes ago, nipples said:

Howie has been bad, but 100% firing those coaches was the correct move. They were terrible. 

No argument there.  But that isn’t the point ... it is who should be making that decision.  It’s a problem that the HC isn’t the one doing so.  It’s as bad a problem that the HC didn’t want to do so.  That’s partly why I wouldn’t trust Doug to make the right hire should Schwartz be fired or let go at season’s end when his contract is up.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

You can say that again!!

And again and again!  :lol:

I hate when the iPhone freezes up!  

• Haha 1

Roseman has this cap situation so buggered up that firing him would be doing him a favor. I want to watch him maneuver this mess. Let's see the "cap genius" at work.

In the end, will it be complete and total Armageddon situation where we can't field a team and we're undeniably F'd? Probably not quite that bad. But it's going to be 3 or 4 years of eating sizable dead cap money which will not only hinder our ability to sign free agents, but also to re-sign our own talent... assuming there's anyone worth re-signing. It also means carrying dead weight players because they're cheaper for cap purposes to have rotting on the bench instead of cutting. 

As for Doug, anyone with a brain could see that Groh sucked and needed to go. He should've been fired the second he said he didn't know how to incorporate Golden Tate into the gameplan. Not calling that timeout on Sunday was inexcusable.

Schwartz.... eff Schwartz.

Thanks to all of them for SB52, but that might as well be a decade ago now. 

• Like 1

2020 Draft really showed that Howie needs to get canned. Cowboys getting Lamb and Diggs and Eagles drafting a QB in second round made me sick to my stomach. Get a real GM and see what Doug can do with players that GM drafts.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, time2rock said:

Only if Howie is fired and they give personnel control to Doug.  If Lurie hires a new GM that has a real eye for talent then definitely not a bad situation.  

And it would also be the first GM in Lurie's ownership tenure to fit that description.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, NOTW said:

I do think Lurie steps in when needed.  He's fired coaches when it was time.

Uh, I beg to differ here.         Had he fired Reid in 2007, I might agree with this.

Today on As the Eagles Turn, it's another case of he-said he-said, anonymous sources, vague innuendo and rash denunciations where hard information and cool-headed reflection should be.  Don't miss your opportunity to participate in stabbing this team in its back! This opportunity will only last forever. Should McNabb be benched? Or should he be simply cut? Is it time for the AJ Feeley era to begin? Should Reid be fired? Whose fault is it that the Eagles wide receivers and linebackers are so horrible? Why do all these draft picks miss? 

8 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Bruh look at Howie’s history and you will realize the pile of actual football people Howie has survived over and gained more power as they all got fired. Don’t underestimate Howie’s ability to survive. 

I am shivering. Count Dracula had nothing on Howie.

4 hours ago, NOTW said:

I can safely say that me and a few of my buddies would have a much better drafting record than Howie. But at the same time as a fan, I am hoping that Eagles bring into the organization a person who is a lot more knowledgable.

6 hours ago, time2rock said:

Yep. There is a common denominator here...

To be honest Doug being pissed that he had to fire Groh and Walch doesn't say much for his judgement, the fact that it appears to have made little difference says even less for his willingness to take advice that's available to him.

If this season ends up at like 3-12 -1, I'd prefer Lurie just cleaned the whole thing out and started again, I don't rate Howie as a talent evaluator and am less and less convinced by Doug as a coach, because while the lack of talent can be laid at Howie's door, I'm convinced the early season sloppiness and constant injuries are because of Doug soft pedalling in pre season and training meaning the team is poorly prepared for the stresses of game speed football, and Wentz clear regression as a QB doesn't speak well of an ex QB head coach either.

• Like 1