Ravens head coach John Harbaugh has awesome message for Carson Wentz after Eagles game

Ewaeagle

https://sports.yahoo.com/ravens-head-coach-john-harbaugh-211800587.html

"Credit the Eagles. Just a hard fight. It was a tough, hard fight. They came roaring back. That's a really good football team. Give Carson Wentz a lot of credit. He played, just - he got hit and he kept coming back, making plays with his legs, hanging in there and making throws. I give Carson a lot of credit. I thought he led them."

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Ewaeagle said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/ravens-head-coach-john-harbaugh-211800587.html

"Credit the Eagles. Just a hard fight. It was a tough, hard fight. They came roaring back. That's a really good football team. Give Carson Wentz a lot of credit. He played, just - he got hit and he kept coming back, making plays with his legs, hanging in there and making throws. I give Carson a lot of credit. I thought he led them."

Other NFL coaches don’t know as much as TATE.  Means nothing.

I've come down hard on Wentz lately, and while today was far from perfect, I liked what I saw overall. He really gave his all.

• Like 4

Wentz has had some issues this year and it's very difficult to work them out when you're running for your life or under pressure most of the time.   Not to mention the poor play calling by Pedersen has been a problem.  

• Like 1

Yup, I was a huge Wentz homer, then finally gave up on him after the 1st 3 games. But the Pitts game and yesterday definitely is pulling me back in. He did everything in his power. No doubt in my mind we win that game if just our oline was healthy. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, birdman#12 said:

Wentz has had some issues this year and it's very difficult to work them out when you're running for your life or under pressure most of the time.   Not to mention the poor play calling by Pedersen has been a problem.  

He seriously needs to give up play calling duties and just focus on running the team.  Hoping for 2 new coordinator hires this upcoming offseason (offense and defense).  Keep Doug as HC, obviously keep Wentz as QB.  

I'd add hiring a new GM but I don't think Lurie will entertain such a bold move (no matter how much it is needed).

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, time2rock said:

He seriously needs to give up play calling duties and just focus on running the team.  Hoping for 2 new coordinator hires this upcoming offseason (offense and defense).  Keep Doug as HC, obviously keep Wentz as QB.  

I'd add hiring a new GM but I don't think Lurie will entertain such a bold move (no matter how much it is needed).

agreed

• Like 2

Reminds me of the Atlanta game a couple of years ago when we lost all our starting wide receivers before the game.

33 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I think if Wentz keeps ironing out his issues, he can overcome the lousy playcalling by Pedersen.......but he shouldn't have to.  I don't know if they'll change coordinators this offseason, but there's no way Lurie fires Roseman.......

The defense I put up about Roseman is that I'd like to see the rosters that he has assembled get to play together.  There have been so many injuries and missed games by starters that it's really hard to tell if this team is as bad as it seems.

Roseman's drafting has been frustrating has they go for the "project" type player alot or they draft a guy that doesn't seem to fit what they're trying to do.  Some teams draft for need, others draft for best athlete among other philosophies, but the eagles seem to be all over the place without any OBVIOUS method.  I try to evaluate drafts 3-4 years after teams pick......anything else, in my opinion, is overreacting.

My issue is that the eagles wait too long to play the younger players.  Outside of QB's, early draft picks need to get some decent playing time.  I think development gets hampered by watching and classroom.  Players learn exponentially when they're on the field.  So the eagles draft issues go hand in hand with the lack of playing time.

Roseman has done OK with UDFA and signing FA veterans and making trades.  BUt again, so many injuries have hijacked those moves and you can't blame Roseman for injuries.  

BUt I wonder how the eagles would be this year with a healthy Dillard, Seumalo, Brooks, Johnson, Jackson, Reagor, Jeffrey and Goedart?  The offense MAY have been better enough to help out the defense when it comes to TOP and field position.  But who knows? 

As far as the salary cap goes, I think Roseman already knows what he's going to do, but it won't be popular.  I don't expect many FA signings as the cap relief will probably be in 2022.

This year, the eagles have to depend on young guys like Reagor, Sanders, Fulgham, Malaita, Pryor, Driscoll on offense and Sweat, Barnett, Hargrave and Maddox on defense to step up and fill in the roles they were meant to fill productively.  One thing the team has to do going forward is stop undervaluing linebackers.  They may not be as important as they used to, but they still are needed to control the middle of the field.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Perforator said:

Reminds me of the Atlanta game a couple of years ago when we lost all our starting wide receivers before the game.

Sounds like every single game since that night.  

19 hours ago, Portyansky said:

Yup, I was a huge Wentz homer, then finally gave up on him after the 1st 3 games. But the Pitts game and yesterday definitely is pulling me back in. He did everything in his power. No doubt in my mind we win that game if just our oline was healthy. 

Sounds like you really know your stuff man.  

17 hours ago, birdman#12 said:

I don't know if they'll change coordinators this offseason, but there's no way Lurie fires Roseman.......

I think you're right but I think that's the biggest mistake Lurie can make. 

Look Doug has made mistakes and maybe he has taken this team as far as he can... But it is pretty clear that the main issues on this team are the roster. A lack of talent across the roster and too many older players who are paid too much money. 

4 hours ago, hputenis said:

Sounds like you really know your stuff man.  

I was done defending. He himself cost us 2.5 games.

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think you're right but I think that's the biggest mistake Lurie can make. 

Look Doug has made mistakes and maybe he has taken this team as far as he can... But it is pretty clear that the main issues on this team are the roster. A lack of talent across the roster and too many older players who are paid too much money. 

No, it's not a lack of talent, except at linebacker.

You can't dismiss the injuries on this team so easily.  They have been one of the most injured teams the last 2-3 years.  And nobody can figure it out.  You guys are all talking like backup, 3rd stringer and practice squad guys are as good as the starters....which simply isn't true.  If injuries don't matter, then neither does talent.  The fact that they have gone to the playoffs the last 3 years with a load of backups gives credit to how deep the roster has been.

Doug needs to find a creative OC to design better plays and a better game plan.  Pedersen is an andy reid disciple and he'll never give up the playcalling.  So he needs somebody who can utilize the talent from the skill players. Plus, Pedersen is like Reid....he doesn't give young players enough reps to get game time experience.....too afraid of mistakes.  They drafted them, put them the hell out there and live with the mistakes until they develop.  Especially now, when injuries are devastating the roster.

And, although I like Schwartz, it may be that his system has become stale to the players.....and the organization constantly undervaluing the LB position is costing them games. There is going to be some guys available this offseason who were good DC's.   Maybe it's time to make that change.

Roseman isn't going anywhere.......He's considered one of the top 5 GMs in thee NFL for the past few years.  A GM builds rosters thru the draft, free agency, UDFA, trades and managing the salary cap.  And he's not as bad as philly fans think.  Do you really think Roseman doesn't have a plan for the salary cap issue?  you think he woke up recently and said "oh sh--, we're going to be way over on the cap next year"?  

What they should be doing is trying everything to figure out why they suffer so many injuries.  Is it the training, the workouts, the equipment, the turf, the shoes, the nutrition, the post game recovery plan?......this had gotten to ridiculous levels....and until they figure it out or get lucky, they're going to struggle.

8 minutes ago, birdman#12 said:

Roseman isn't going anywhere.......He's considered one of the top 5 GMs in thee NFL for the past few years.  A GM builds rosters thru the draft, free agency, UDFA, trades and managing the salary cap.  And he's not as bad as philly fans think.  Do you really think Roseman doesn't have a plan for the salary cap issue?  you think he woke up recently and said "oh sh--, we're going to be way over on the cap next year"?  

Top 5 GM in the league? Are you kidding me?

He's a bottom 5 GM who is holding back this team because he a) can't draft and b) because he can't draft he has had to pay ageing guys who can't stay healthy.

Lets not give Howie a pass here or make excuses for him. He's done a bad job with this roster and the cap issues are his making.

8 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

He's a bottom 5 GM who is holding back this team because he a) can't draft and b) because he can't draft he has had to pay ageing guys who can't stay healthy.

Lets not give Howie a pass here or make excuses for him. He's done a bad job with this roster and the cap issues are his making.

In his defense, Howie has been rated fairly highly on GM rankings the past few years (I believe the highest had him at #2 overall one year).  But he is as bad as Philly fans think when it comes to drafting.  

5 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

How many times are you going to claim the older guys can't stay healthy when the majority of guys injured are 30 and under?  WTF, get off that bullsh--.  Injuries happen in the NFL....it's a 100% injury rate.  Some are more serious.  

HIs draft have been blown waaaay out of proportion here....it's ridiculous.....and so has the cap issue.  Fans don't even know how contracts are structure or how the inner workings of the cap can be managed.....they see a number and start to whine.  He's managed the cap well for 10+ years, now he doesn't know what he's doing?  LMAO

And yes, he's considered a top 5 GM around the league and by many sports analysts........regardless of what overemotional philly fans think.

You can't blame him for the injuries, that's just f----- stupid and ignorant and quite frankly, a lazy argument.......but that doesn't matter to philly fans....Again, if injuries don't matter, tell me why talent matters?  Do you REALLY expect no dropoff in performance when so many starters are out?  Are you f------ kidding me?

13 minutes ago, birdman#12 said:

How many times are you going to claim the older guys can't stay healthy when the majority of guys injured are 30 and under?  WTF, get off that bullsh--.  Injuries happen in the NFL....it's a 100% injury rate.  Some are more serious.  

HIs draft have been blown waaaay out of proportion here....it's ridiculous.....and so has the cap issue.  Fans don't even know how contracts are structure or how the inner workings of the cap can be managed.....they see a number and start to whine.  He's managed the cap well for 10+ years, now he doesn't know what he's doing?  LMAO

And yes, he's considered a top 5 GM around the league and by many sports analysts........regardless of what overemotional philly fans think.

You can't blame him for the injuries, that's just f----- stupid and ignorant and quite frankly, a lazy argument.......but that doesn't matter to philly fans....Again, if injuries don't matter, tell me why talent matters?  Do you REALLY expect no dropoff in performance when so many starters are out?  Are you f------ kidding me?

Lets just look at the injuries shall we... DeSean, Alshon both over 30 yet both were tipped to have big parts this year. Brooks? Over 30. Lane? Over 30. Cox has been hurt at times this year and yep he's over 30. JP? Umm... Oh yeah over 30! Was brought back to be the starting RG to replace Brooks and then they paid him more money to move him to LT. All of the above were tipped to play big roles for this team because the horrible roster management put them in that position.

On his drafts, are you kidding me? His drafts have been blown way out of proportion? Please tell me how they have been blown out of proportion? Lets just look at that shall we... Since he returned as GM in 2016 this is how it looks:

2016: Smallwood, Vaitai, Countess, McAlister and Walker all gone. Mills tried the FA market and then eventually was brought back with a position change. I think most recognise that Mills has been a decent pick for a 7th rounder but others would also suggest on most other teams he wouldn't have lasted as long.

2017: Jones, Douglas, Hollins, Pumphrey, Gibson and Qualls all gone! Only 2 players remain, Barnett (who may not be here next year) and Gerry (need I say more there?). What a freaking disaster of a draft 2017 was.

2018: Goedert, Maddox, Sweat, Pryor and Mailata. So Goedert absolutely fine, good pick. Maddox? The coaches don't seem to know where to play him and he has limitations at all potential positions. Sweat seems a fine #3 DE and Mailata may be starting to develop now.

2019: Dillard, Sanders, JJAW, Miller and Thorson. Another mess of a draft! Most fans are unconvinced by Dillard, JJAW has been a mess. Miller and Thorson aren't even here anymore.

2020: Jury is out but lets be honest here... Hurts was a bad pick based purely on the needs of this roster. Taylor and Bradley can't get on the field at LB despite the position being an utter joke. Hightower has flashed but also has the dropsies, Wallace hasn't seen too much of the field, Toohill has already been cut. 

The cap mess has been created by Howie. You may say he has a plan to get out of it... He might well do! But the way out of it will be to cut players. The very fact that we are 1-4-1, heading for a losing record this year and yet are so far over the cap next year is a damning indictment of the GM. I don't even know how you can defend him. He's a bad GM flat out. He's kicked the cap can down the road and now it is going to be a problem. He can't draft at all the above shows. So please do tell me how you defend this guy?

• Thanks 1

Howie's drafts are poor. There's no escaping that fact. Every time an article comes out with # of pro bowl players drafted in X years, Howie is nowhere to be found on the list of top GM's.

Here's one that shows the top 5 hit% for pro bowl players drafted in last decade. It also shows that Dallas' coaching and culture are the problem down there, but we already knew that.

SUCCESS RATE OF PRO BOWLERS DRAFTED SINCE 2010
Team Draft Picks Pro Bowlers in %
KAN 74 15 20.3%
DAL 81 13 16.0%
NOR 61 9 14.8%
CHI 63 9 14.3%
BAL 89 12 13.5%
NFL average 2,552 252 9.9%

The defense showed up by and large, in the Baltimore game, after getting hammered by the media for the Pittsburgh game.

Wentz showed his skills in the Baltimore game after getting hammered by the media for the previous games.

Doug called an outstanding 2nd half after getting torched all week.

There is a neurosis on this squad that makes them only able to respond during extreme adversity. It's a 2017 hangover and it's killing this team and this fanbase.

23 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

So please do tell me how you defend this guy?

Obviously he must be wearing these

spacer.png

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Perforator said:

Obviously he must be wearing these

spacer.png

Without doubt! Actually I think they are Howie tinted glasses because it sure isn't for the best for this team.

That’s great and all, but are we going to hear these same comments when he goes through another one of his awful stretches where he can’t hit the broad side of a barn with passes, turns the ball over multiple times, etc?

Wentz has definitely been a lot better the last couple of games, but that isn’t going to make me forget how inconsistent he is and has always been. That’s the thing about inconsistent QBs, whenever they have a good stretch of games, you know a bad stretch is right around the corner.

I’d LOVE for him to prove me wrong. To just suddenly become consistently good. I just don’t see it. His mechanical issues always resurface. And it’s year 5... he is what he is at this point.