Ravens head coach John Harbaugh has awesome message for Carson Wentz after Eagles game

Ewaeagle

On 10/20/2020 at 9:38 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Lets just look at the injuries shall we... DeSean, Alshon both over 30 yet both were tipped to have big parts this year. Brooks? Over 30. Lane? Over 30. Cox has been hurt at times this year and yep he's over 30. JP? Umm... Oh yeah over 30! Was brought back to be the starting RG to replace Brooks and then they paid him more money to move him to LT. All of the above were tipped to play big roles for this team because the horrible roster management put them in that position.

On his drafts, are you kidding me? His drafts have been blown way out of proportion? Please tell me how they have been blown out of proportion? Lets just look at that shall we... Since he returned as GM in 2016 this is how it looks:

2016: Smallwood, Vaitai, Countess, McAlister and Walker all gone. Mills tried the FA market and then eventually was brought back with a position change. I think most recognise that Mills has been a decent pick for a 7th rounder but others would also suggest on most other teams he wouldn't have lasted as long.

2017: Jones, Douglas, Hollins, Pumphrey, Gibson and Qualls all gone! Only 2 players remain, Barnett (who may not be here next year) and Gerry (need I say more there?). What a freaking disaster of a draft 2017 was.

2018: Goedert, Maddox, Sweat, Pryor and Mailata. So Goedert absolutely fine, good pick. Maddox? The coaches don't seem to know where to play him and he has limitations at all potential positions. Sweat seems a fine #3 DE and Mailata may be starting to develop now.

2019: Dillard, Sanders, JJAW, Miller and Thorson. Another mess of a draft! Most fans are unconvinced by Dillard, JJAW has been a mess. Miller and Thorson aren't even here anymore.

2020: Jury is out but lets be honest here... Hurts was a bad pick based purely on the needs of this roster. Taylor and Bradley can't get on the field at LB despite the position being an utter joke. Hightower has flashed but also has the dropsies, Wallace hasn't seen too much of the field, Toohill has already been cut. 

The cap mess has been created by Howie. You may say he has a plan to get out of it... He might well do! But the way out of it will be to cut players. The very fact that we are 1-4-1, heading for a losing record this year and yet are so far over the cap next year is a damning indictment of the GM. I don't even know how you can defend him. He's a bad GM flat out. He's kicked the cap can down the road and now it is going to be a problem. He can't draft at all the above shows. So please do tell me how you defend this guy?

How many 5th, 6th and 7th round picks are left in the NFL from the 2016 draft, let alone ones that actually make a valuable contribution to their team?

Everyone keeps screaming draft picks, but never, ever looks at the bigger picture. 

2016 - From pick 153 (Smallwood) to the last pick of the draft 253 (Kalen Reed) there were 100 players taken

Out of those players

1 - All pro player (Tyreek Hill

1 - Pro Bowler (Tyreek Hill)

16 - Never played a down in the NFL

28 - Still play in the NFL

9 - Starters on their team

I dont think you guys realize how damn hard it is to hit on players in the 5th,6th and 7th rounds.  Even the 3rd and 4th rounds are hard. Yet you think think that Howie should have some special wand that makes his drafts better then everyone else.

Do I think he has missed on some picks? Absolutely. Some are more egregious then others and he definitely should be called out on some of his picks, but you have to be reasonable in doing so. It is so much more then just drafting a player. It is getting that player to fit in the culture, the scheme and the chemistry of the team. It is a very difficult thing to do.

If Travis Fulgham ends up being a player long term and is not a flash in a pan, who the F would have guessed that?

23 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

I dont think you guys realize how damn hard it is to hit on players in the 5th,6th and 7th rounds.  Even the 3rd and 4th rounds are hard. Yet you think think that Howie should have some special wand that makes his drafts better then everyone else.

That argument only holds up of Howie could draft at all. Never mind later round picks what about the first 3 rounds?

30 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

That argument only holds up of Howie could draft at all. Never mind later round picks what about the first 3 rounds?

Yet what I replied to was your post that argued about how terrible he is by using 4th,5th,6th and 7th rounders.

Since 2016 (and not including 2020) he has found a franchise and potential star QB, a starting LG, starting DE, starting and potential star RB, top 5 TE in the first 3 rounds.

He has whiffed on a WR and 2 CBs.

So he has found 3 potential stars with Wentz, Sanders and Goedert - found 2 starters in Barnett and Seumalo and completely whiffed on Jones,Douglas and JJAW and the jury is out on Dillard due to injury.

It really is not as bad as you think. Yeah I would love better, we all would, especially when they have been struggling with the CB and WR positions. He is in the middle when it comes to drafting, not at the bottom of the barrell.

39 minutes ago, pallidrone said:

Since 2016 (and not including 2020) he has found a franchise and potential star QB, a starting LG, starting DE, starting and potential star RB, top 5 TE in the first 3 rounds.

And what about 2020? He wasted a second round pick on a gadget player. He spunked a third round pick on a LB who didn't play high school football and can't get in ahead of Nate freaking Gerry.

And why has he not had more picks in the third round? Because he wasted a third on Tate. Because he had to give up a third (and a fifth) for Slay. No doubt Slay is a fantastic player but he's towards the end of his career and won't be on the team when this team turns things around and becomes contenders. So yeah that's on Howie too.

Flat out he is a bad GM.