Eagles Glass Half Full Mock (10-21-2020)

Ray75

No one could have predicted that after 6 weeks of football we’d be looking at a 1-4-1 record and still find ourselves in second place in the god awful NFC Least.

Last time I gave you a doom scenario in which we’d wind up with a very bad record and a top 10 pick. This time around I went in the complete opposite direction. What if we win the NFC least and host a play-off game in january?!

You read that right and you already know the consequences! Howie’s sticking around. 😢 Doug will still be the HC (rightfully so)... 👊🏻

But..Schwartz contract is up and I can’t see them bringing him back. I have a hunch he doesn’t want to be back either and will be looking for a new challenge. So...we need a new DC.

New DC;

Demeco Ryans returns to Philly!

Trades;

Zack Ertz to GB for a 2nd in 2021.

Gone;

DJax, Jeffery, Mills, JP, NRC, Curry, Riley, Williams (already cut), Rodgers, Brown, Ford, Opeta, Gerry, Juringa, Sudfeld

Re-sign;

Fulgham, Ward, Parks, Singleton, Johnston, Ridgeway, LeBlanc, Scott, Perkins, Butler

New contract;

Derek Barnett

Retire;

Jason Kelce

Restructure;

Fletcher Cox, Malik Jackson, Brandon Graham

FA;

We’ll be quiet! We’ve nothing to spend! Maybe a role player here or there but nothing substantial.

Draft;

The approach here; go get the best outside CB you can get your hands on in the first, followed by taking a true slot receiver to complement Fulgham at X and Reagor at Z, an off ball sideline to sideline LB to give that unit a boost, a safety who’s able to play centerfield, a true center in case you want to keep Seumalo at LG, a developmental edge rusher, a backup TE and another outside corner with size because we have plenty of guys who can play nickel but not nearly enough guys who can play outside corner. As for a RB to complement Sanders we sign an UDFA.

1) Jaycee Horn, CB, Southern Carolina

2) Tylan Wallace, WR, Oklahoma State;

2) Jabril Cox, LB, LSU;

3) Reed Blankenship, S, MTSU;

5) James Empey, OC, BYU;

5) Patrick Johnson, DE, Tulane;

6) Cary Angeline, TE, North Carolina State;

7) Jermaine Waller, CB, Virginia Tech;

• Like 2

Would need to find a way to add someone to the oline in FA. A rookie at center or leaving Herbig at LG, with Seumalo at center, scares me. I don't want to be thin along the line again. Luckily we have a good line coach, but these injuries seem like they'll never let up. 

Horn, Wallace, Cox hard to argue with there. Cox just always performs. Small school, big school doesn't matter he shows up. 

Just based off through six weeks, I'd say add a kicker for camp. Elliott isn't looking too good this year. 

• Like 1

I like Demeco as a DC. Only thing that scares me is he's never called a defense from the sideline before. Obviously he's been the center of a defense and relaid the calls from the DC to the defense so there's some kind of experience there. At the bare minimum we know he will command the respect of the defense. 

Just now, 20dawk4life said:

I like Demeco as a DC. Only thing that scares me is he's never called a defense from the sideline before. Obviously he's been the center of a defense and relaid the calls from the DC to the defense so there's some kind of experience there. At the bare minimum we know he will command the respect of the defense. 

Absolutely! Have always liked him!

Gerry is gone! That is enough for me the rest is inconsequential to be honest... 😉

No OK OK I kid I kid.

I like it bud. I am all about getting play makers for this defense because this defense has been somewhat overlooked. I mean the DL hasn't really been overlooked but the secondary and the LBs really has been. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Gerry is gone! That is enough for me the rest is inconsequential to be honest... 😉

No OK OK I kid I kid.

I like it bud. I am all about getting play makers for this defense because this defense has been somewhat overlooked. I mean the DL hasn't really been overlooked but the secondary and the LBs really has been. 

Poor Gerry! Studied to become a carpenter and found himself playing for the Eagles by accident! 😂

Just wanted to introduce some prospects who we might be interested in if we pick at/around 20.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

Poor Gerry! Studied to become a carpenter and found himself playing for the Eagles by accident! 😂

Just wanted to introduce some prospects who we might be interested in if we pick at/around 20.

Yea it’s always good to look at different parts of the draft because you never know when someone might drop compared to he mocks we see. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

I do in some ways feel sorry for Gerry. I mean he might be a nice enough guy (though some would disagree on the basis of his recently discovered tweets) and he does take a lot of ish from us fans. And to be fair he's what a 6th round pick? So there should be very little expected from him really. Problem is he is a truly terrible football player. He sucks it is plain and simple.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I do in some ways feel sorry for Gerry. I mean he might be a nice enough guy (though some would disagree on the basis of his recently discovered tweets) and he does take a lot of ish from us fans. And to be fair he's what a 6th round pick? So there should be very little expected from him really. Problem is he is a truly terrible football player. He sucks it is plain and simple.

Horn for example had a great game saturday! Two interceptions and completely shut down Seth Williams, a receiver who many project to go 2nd or 3rd round.

If he keeps it up, he’ll wind up a first rounder and will be in the conversation for 4th best CB in the entire class behind Surtain, Farley and Wade.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, 20dawk4life said:

@Ray75 have you looked at Asante Samuel Jr at all? 

I have!

Like him but he’s 5.10 ft and about 185 lbs and although good, not the playmaker and ballhawk his father was. 2nd round pick IMO.

If we’d go in another direction in the first, say a LB (not likely), a WR, DL or OL, he’d definitely be an option in the 2nd.

Keep an eye on DE Patrick Jones btw. That would be a typical Eagles pick in the first!

• Like 1

Jabril Cox is a stud, by far my favorite pick. I like the idea of an ex player being a coach for us. 

Id be more comfortable with the left side of our line staying as is from this past week vs the Ravens and moving Seumalo to C to compete with the rookie we are bringing in. 

Curious on your thoughts regarding the true slot wr thought. Seems like ol' Dougie always wants his WRS to know all three spots so they can be interchangeable. Think we benefit more there from a "true slot guy" or you think we should go for an overall talent? Should be able to have our pick if we go for on in the second. Honestly asking..

I know squat about the CB you took in round 1. Tried to watch a highlight vid but couldnt find one. He also isnt on any "top CB of 2021" list. He a riser everyone sleeping on?

As always I enjoyed the read! Hoping that even if we make the playoffs we can still get Howie out of the talent evaluator seat. 

5 hours ago, ibleedgreen1990 said:

Jabril Cox is a stud, by far my favorite pick. I like the idea of an ex player being a coach for us. 

Id be more comfortable with the left side of our line staying as is from this past week vs the Ravens and moving Seumalo to C to compete with the rookie we are bringing in. 

Curious on your thoughts regarding the true slot wr thought. Seems like ol' Dougie always wants his WRS to know all three spots so they can be interchangeable. Think we benefit more there from a "true slot guy" or you think we should go for an overall talent? Should be able to have our pick if we go for on in the second. Honestly asking..

I know squat about the CB you took in round 1. Tried to watch a highlight vid but couldnt find one. He also isnt on any "top CB of 2021" list. He a riser everyone sleeping on?

As always I enjoyed the read! Hoping that even if we make the playoffs we can still get Howie out of the talent evaluator seat. 

Thanks!

For some reason I assume they like to keep Seumalo at LG but it isn’t based on anything, just a hunch. Anyway...we need an IOL. Is that going to be a Guard or Center?! I have no clue...

I don’t know if Doug likes his WR to be able to play all 3 spots. JJAW, Fulgham and Jeffery are pure X receivers, DJax and Watkins prototypical Z receivers, Reagor is basically a Z but they’d like him to be a versatile weapon that can play all over the formation because of his skill set. If you were to ask me, I’d say they would love to have their receivers as versatile as possible but still think in the concept X, Z and slot.

If you believe that, the question would be; do they have a talented slot?! Ward is okay there but let’s be honest; the Eagles can easily upgrade there. 2nd round prospects like Wallace, Olave and St. Brown come to mind.

Yesterday I created a topic for Jaycee Horn in "I want the Eagles to get”. Very talented ballhawking cover corner, son of former Saints WR Joe Horn, who’s playing himself into the first round right now. Completely shut down Auburn’s Seth Williams saturday and added two interceptions. When all is said and done it wouldn’t surprise me if he’s going to be the 4th CB taken in the draft behind Surtain, Farley and Wade. His stock is rising, mid to late first rounder at the moment IMO.

13 hours ago, Ray75 said:

I have!

Like him but he’s 5.10 ft and about 185 lbs and although good, not the playmaker and ballhawk his father was. 2nd round pick IMO.

If we’d go in another direction in the first, say a LB (not likely), a WR, DL or OL, he’d definitely be an option in the 2nd.

Keep an eye on DE Patrick Jones btw. That would be a typical Eagles pick in the first!

Just looked up Samuel Jrs stats and he's currently tied for the NCAA lead in interceptions this year with three. Maybe something turned on for him this year or he's getting more playing time? Idk but if he can gain a few more picks he's may fill dad's shoes. 

21 hours ago, 20dawk4life said:

Just looked up Samuel Jrs stats and he's currently tied for the NCAA lead in interceptions this year with three. Maybe something turned on for him this year or he's getting more playing time? Idk but if he can gain a few more picks he's may fill dad's shoes. 

Well, well, well...look at Jr! Good for him! Wasn’t known for that prior to the season and will surely bump up his stock. Reminds me a bit of Jaire Alexander coming out.

On 10/21/2020 at 1:22 AM, Ray75 said:

No one could have predicted that after 6 weeks of football we’d be looking at a 1-4-1 record and still find ourselves in second place in the god awful NFC Least.

Last time I gave you a doom scenario in which we’d wind up with a very bad record and a top 10 pick. This time around I went in the complete opposite direction. What if we win the NFC least and host a play-off game in january?!

You read that right and you already know the consequences! Howie’s sticking around. 😢 Doug will still be the HC (rightfully so)... 👊🏻

But..Schwartz contract is up and I can’t see them bringing him back. I have a hunch he doesn’t want to be back either and will be looking for a new challenge. So...we need a new DC.

New DC;

Demeco Ryans returns to Philly!

Trades;

Zack Ertz to GB for a 2nd in 2021.

Gone;

DJax, Jeffery, Mills, JP, NRC, Curry, Riley, Williams (already cut), Rodgers, Brown, Ford, Opeta, Gerry, Juringa, Sudfeld

Re-sign;

Fulgham, Ward, Parks, Singleton, Johnston, Ridgeway, LeBlanc, Scott, Perkins, Butler

New contract;

Derek Barnett

Retire;

Jason Kelce

Restructure;

Fletcher Cox, Malik Jackson, Brandon Graham

FA;

We’ll be quiet! We’ve nothing to spend! Maybe a role player here or there but nothing substantial.

Draft;

The approach here; go get the best outside CB you can get your hands on in the first, followed by taking a true slot receiver to complement Fulgham at X and Reagor at Z, an off ball sideline to sideline LB to give that unit a boost, a safety who’s able to play centerfield, a true center in case you want to keep Seumalo at LG, a developmental edge rusher, a backup TE and another outside corner with size because we have plenty of guys who can play nickel but not nearly enough guys who can play outside corner. As for a RB to complement Sanders we sign an UDFA.

1) Jaycee Horn, CB, Southern Carolina

2) Tylan Wallace, WR, Oklahoma State;

2) Jabril Cox, LB, LSU;

3) Reed Blankenship, S, MTSU;

5) James Empey, OC, BYU;

5) Patrick Johnson, DE, Tulane;

6) Cary Angeline, TE, North Carolina State;

7) Jermaine Waller, CB, Virginia Tech;

And here’s the reality of having Howie making picks:

1st Rd- DE - will be a reach as always

2nd Rd- RB - definitely not a need but heck they might’ve drafted Dobbins if Hurts was gone.

3rd Rd- CB- of course another mid-round miss at CB

5th Rd- LB - finally, but of course it’s too late to grab an impact LB at this point

6th Rd- S - JAG, special teams, depth, nothing special

7th Rd- OL- Depth guy, camp body

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Road to Victory said:

And here’s the reality of having Howie making picks:

1st Rd- DE - will be a reach as always

2nd Rd- RB - definitely not a need but heck they might’ve drafted Dobbins if Hurts was gone.

3rd Rd- CB- of course another mid-round miss at CB

5th Rd- LB - finally, but of course it’s too late to grab an impact LB at this point

6th Rd- S - JAG, special teams, depth, nothing special

7th Rd- OL- Depth guy, camp body

No worries! In due time I’ll make a more realistic mock! LOL

Fully expect them to trade for a LB next week.

Should have kept Ertz on the active roster with that minor injury and traded him to the Packers or Ravens but hey, trust in Howie we do! 😂

About that DE in the first! They’ll probably target someone like Patrick Jones II if he’s within range...

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

Should have kept Ertz on the active roster with that minor injury and traded him to the Packers or Ravens but hey, trust in Howie we do! 😂

I can't believe there are still fans who do trust in Howie and do defend him. His roster management this year has been awful, atrocious and horrendous. 

13 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I can't believe there are still fans who do trust in Howie and do defend him. His roster management this year has been awful, atrocious and horrendous. 

I was joking of course. But putting him on short term IR when there was interest, is baffling.

I might be in the minority but the value of a healthy Ertz is at it’s highest during the season. Contenders like GB might think they’re one good reliable pass catcher away from making a deep run.

My guess here is that both the Ravens and Packers were low balling the Eagles. Something like a late 3rd or a 4th and change for Ertz. The Eagles think that if Ertz returns to form, they can get more for him during the offseason...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

I was joking of course. But putting him on short term IR when there was interest, is baffling.

Oh I know you were bud. I just can't believe that some fans defend the guy. 

The decision to put him on short term IR to me is just another example of poor roster management. 

3 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Oh I know you were bud. I just can't believe that some fans defend the guy. 

The decision to put him on short term IR to me is just another example of poor roster management. 

Unless they’re convinced they can get more for him this offseason...

Personally I’d consider a 3rd but I’d want more for him. A 4th is out of the question...

33 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

Unless they’re convinced they can get more for him this offseason...

Personally I’d consider a 3rd but I’d want more for him. A 4th is out of the question...

I'm not sure they can get more for him in the off season though? I think teams who are in a good position to win this year would slightly over pay to bring in a player of that talent. I think in the off season they'll be more reserved on that front. But that's just my take. 

2 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'm not sure they can get more for him in the off season though? I think teams who are in a good position to win this year would slightly over pay to bring in a player of that talent. I think in the off season they'll be more reserved on that front. But that's just my take. 

100 % agree! I’d be stunned if we get more than a 3rd for Ertz...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ray75 said:

100 % agree! I’d be stunned if we get more than a 3rd for Ertz...

Oh absolutely. A disgruntled player who wants a new contract. A player coming off the back of a year of down production (I'm talking in this next off season) and who's over 30. I mean he may even decide to hold out if we don't trade him or redo his contract. So yeah I mean we don't hold the strength in cards there at all. 

18 hours ago, Ray75 said:

No worries! In due time I’ll make a more realistic mock! LOL

Fully expect them to trade for a LB next week.

About that DE in the first! They’ll probably target someone like Patrick Jones II if he’s within range...

My response wasn’t a poke at your mock. It was more of a poke at Howie and his ineptitude.