Eagles Worked Out Kicker (Is Elliott's Job in Jeopardy?)

time2rock

It is being reported that the Eagles have brought in veteran kicker Lirim Hajrullahu (who???) for a workout recently.  He was an all-star in the CFL.  No doubt Elliott has been struggling recently ... in particular with FGs over 50 yards (only 5 of 13 since 2018).  

https://heavy.com/sports/eagles-all-star-kicker-jake-elliott-struggles/

Why not even if done to just to light a fire under Elliott.  5 of 13 over 50 yards is pretty bad.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, greend said:

It's in case Elliot gets the covid

Aaaah yes, good call bro.  Could be similar to having McCown on the PS in case of emergency/outbreak.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, greend said:

It's in case Elliot gets the covid

Yeah that was my first thought too. Try guys out just in case. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, manz2821 said:

Why not even if done to just to light a fire under Elliott.  5 of 13 over 50 yards is pretty bad.

THIS /\

• Like 2

3 hours ago, manz2821 said:

Is that true?  What are some comparable stats for other kickers?

6 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

Is that true?  What are some comparable stats for other kickers?

yup.  The article posted by the OP mentions it.  I'm sure the good kickers like Tucker, Buttker, Prater are far better than Elliott who is only 1-4 this year for kicks over 50+. 

8 minutes ago, manz2821 said:

yup.  The article posted by the OP mentions it.  I'm sure the good kickers like Tucker, Buttker, Prater are far better than Elliott who is only 1-4 this year for kicks over 50+. 

The original stat is a little misleading.  Per the article:

He has connected on 71-of-79 (90%) from under 50 yards for his career while going 10-of-19 (53%) on kicks over 50 yards in 53 career games.

Not bad.  And he's only in his 4th season. The Eagles gave him a new deal with more than $9 million guaranteed less than a year ago so I don't think Jake has much to worry about. 

4 hours ago, time2rock said:

It is being reported that the Eagles have brought in veteran kicker Lirim Hajrullahu (who???)

Another name for fans to misspell.  And to praise after he makes a kick.

c76a01920d60eb682576545761205446.jpg

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

The original stat is a little misleading.  Per the article:

He has connected on 71-of-79 (90%) from under 50 yards for his career while going 10-of-19 (53%) on kicks over 50 yards in 53 career games.

Not bad.  And he's only in his 4th season. The Eagles gave him a new deal with more than $9 million guaranteed less than a year ago so I don't think Jake has much to worry about. 

I did make sure to include "since 2018" in the first post when referencing having gone 5 of 13 (for FGs > 50 yards).  

Recently it does seem like Elliott is struggling and his two misses in these past two games has hurt. Watching the Ravens kicker boot everything down the middle like it was nothing in our stadium was an eye opener. If nothing bringing someone in should be a wake up call to him.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, time2rock said:

I did make sure to include "since 2018" in the first post when referencing having gone 5 of 13 (for FGs > 50 yards).  

No problem and please don’t misunderstand. I’m not implying there’s anything wrong with the post.  Just that statistics can be hard to interpret without context.  

For example a baseball player who fails in 65% of his at bats is a Hall of Fame hitter.  I don’t know what a good percentage is from 50 yards or beyond.  53 percent in the larger sample size seems like it’s good but maybe not.

Jake is the best Eagles kicker we’ve seen since Akers.  The least of our worries, frankly.

• Thanks 1

He is money under 50. 50 plus has always been a crap shoot. Maybe stop trotting him out for 57 yard kicks in windy Pittsburgh?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Uscg-green said:

He is money under 50. 50 plus has always been a crap shoot. Maybe stop trotting him out for 57 yard kicks in windy Pittsburgh?

Under 50 pays the bills.

If he ends up replacing Elliot, I'm just gonna call him ABC. I'm not typing my way through that alphabet obstacle course.

1 hour ago, Dweedlebug said:

He's 25% for over 50 yard kicks this season.  Here's the rest of the league for comparison...

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player-stat/field-goal-percentage-50-plus

This is good but still unclear.

A kicker who hits 1 of 1 is 100%.  A kicker who hits 3 of 6 is  only 50% but significantly more valuable.  And kickers who are better from outside get more opportunities so of course they'll have more misses (and hopefully hits).