The good, the bad and the ugly: week 8 vs. Dallas

e-a-g-l-e-s eagles!

Great job bud. You always do a great job with the good the bad and the ugly. I enjoy reading after each game. 

Overall I agree with pretty much everything you have said here. 

I thought there were positives coming out of this game. Fulgham is 100% legit. At this point I think at worst now... He's a really good long term #3 WR. I think probably he's going to be a really good #2 and you know what there's a chance he could be a good #1. I'd like to see them go to him more though.

The big positive for the LBs is that Gerry is out and that gives opportunities to others. I hope this now continues and we never see Gerry in an Eagles jersey again. He's flat out terrible and every other LB we have on this roster is an upgrade. 

Regarding Reagor, I'm taking the positives on this one. He had a really good TD catch where he showed his physicality and he had another really nice short yard catch on 3rd down where he got the first down. I'd like to see them open him up a little more though and find more ways to involve him. But hey this was his first week back and I think they probably wanted to just get him going. 

• Like 1

I am a Wentz supporter, I thought at halftime last night....it was one of the worst performances....not only by Wentz, but by any NFL QB I have ever seen.  His turnovers are just inexcusable.  The first interception in the end zone was completely unnecessary, he had like 20 yards of field in front of him he could have run for.  The fumble?  He could have easily thrown it away.  And I also agree on the playcalling that it is/was atrocious but damn Wentz, if we were playing Arizona, Saints, Green Bay or any good NFL team other than the team out there last night playing with the equivalent of a high school QB, we'd have lost that game by 30.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, NYEagle said:

I am a Wentz supporter, I thought at halftime last night....it was one of the worst performances....not only by Wentz, but by any NFL QB I have ever seen.  His turnovers are just inexcusable.  The first interception in the end zone was completely unnecessary, he had like 20 yards of field in front of him he could have run for.  The fumble?  He could have easily thrown it away.  And I also agree on the playcalling that it is/was atrocious but damn Wentz, if we were playing Arizona, Saints, Green Bay or any good NFL team other than the team out there last night playing with the equivalent of a high school QB, we'd have lost that game by 30.

Thing is... How can we be too hard on the play calling when the QB is playing so badly? I mean how can Doug call a good game when Wentz is playing so badly? If Wentz was just playing half decent football then I am not sure the offense looks quite so bad. If he executes a little better then we aren't killng Doug as much.

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Thing is... How can we be too hard on the play calling when the QB is playing so badly? I mean how can Doug call a good game when Wentz is playing so badly? If Wentz was just playing half decent football then I am not sure the offense looks quite so bad. If he executes a little better then we aren't killng Doug as much.

I disagree, to go for it on 4th down at that point in the game was nothing short of retarded........I mean short bus, can't tie your shoelaces retarded.  And yes, that is completely un-PC........

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, NYEagle said:

I disagree, to go for it on 4th down at that point in the game was nothing short of retarded........I mean short bus, can't tie your shoelaces retarded.  And yes, that is completely un-PC........

Oh yeah I agree with you there (well apart from being completely non PC). That was a brain dead play call and made no sense. It isn't like the clock keeps going if you keep the ball live so I was not sure what Doug was doing in that situation.

I agree that Reagor should have made a better play on the Diggs int with the shin tap in the end zone but that was such a poor thrown ball that I don't think there was a chance in hell he could have even tipped it. Would have to see the all 22 film but that looked like a ball that was being thrown away. 

I feel like Reagor's plays all had an impact on the game. Would have liked to seen more from him but he seemed to disappear after the first. Definitely need to see a snap count total for him. Hightower seemed to be playing more than I would have liked with a Reagor back but they could be nursing Reagor back slowly. 

These are always great reads and usually spot on with the analysis.  Thanks for taking the time to put these together.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NYEagle said:

And yet if he has any IQ for playing QB, he gets the ball out quick to beat the blitz. He had a receiver (Ward, I think) WIDE OPEN in the hole where the blitz came from. Would have been an easy first down, and there was so much room to run probably end up with another 5-10 yards of YAC. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, nipples said:

And yet if he has any IQ for playing QB, he gets the ball out quick to beat the blitz. He had a receiver (Ward, I think) WIDE OPEN in the hole where the blitz came from. Would have been an easy first down, and there was so much room to run probably end up with another 5-10 yards of YAC. 

It’s sad when you think about how when Wentz is looking good they all act like he’s great, and he’s elite, and he’s better than Goff and Dak combined. As soon as he looks bad it’s he has no talent around him, the coaches are horrible, or it’s not his fault. It’s never his fault it seems and he thinks that way too.

• Like 2

RE:OP

As always, a great read and analysis. I agree with everything but mostly this:

I felt as you did, that wentz shouldn't have even been on this field

• Like 1

Brandon Graham is easily having his best season and they better not throw Gerry back out there when he’s healthy. Edwards is the better player. 

• Like 4

Awesome as always. I have an eerie feeling that Howie is just delusional enough to think he needs to trade away more draft capital in order to add a couple of pieces to this team at the trade deadline. I really hope I’m wrong. 

• Like 1

Just now, hoosierdaddy said:

Awesome as always. I have an eerie feeling that Howie is just delusional enough to think he needs to trade away more draft capital in order to add a couple of pieces to this team at the trade deadline. I really hope I’m wrong. 

I don't see it. I don't think they have the cap space or the valuable players to trade for other players. They should just be sellers.

30 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

It’s never his fault it seems and he thinks that way too.

I really don't get how you come to this conclusion. Wentz was bad last night and it was his fault. Last night he said,  "I’m not good enough. I can be better. I know I will be.” Last year after a similar game: "I’ve just got to own them,” he said. "I missed a few. There’s no excuses. I just missed them. I’ve got to be better. … There’s no excuses. It wasn’t the wind. It was nothing. I’ve got to be better."

These are pretty much the types of things he says after each bad game.

2 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

I really don't get how you come to this conclusion. Wentz was bad last night and it was his fault. Last night he said,  "I’m not good enough. I can be better. I know I will be.” Last year after a similar game: "I’ve just got to own them,” he said. "I missed a few. There’s no excuses. I just missed them. I’ve got to be better. … There’s no excuses. It wasn’t the wind. It was nothing. I’ve got to be better."

These are pretty much the types of things he says after each bad game.

He also said he’s not gonna stop trying to get the ball to his guys trying to make a play which means he’s not going to stop forcing the ball into places it shouldn’t be. He’s been saying the same stuff week after week and no changes. It’s basically "I gotta do a better job” all over again, and if he were trying to make changes he certainly wouldn’t be doing the same stupid stuff over and over again and in fact he’s gotten worse. It’s cool though. I think we all know how easily impressed you are so I’m sure you’re happy. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EazyEaglez said:

He also said he’s not gonna stop trying to get the ball to his guys trying to make a play which means he’s not going to stop forcing the ball into places it shouldn’t be. He’s been saying the same stuff week after week and no changes. It’s basically "I gotta do a better job” all over again, and if he were trying to make changes he certainly wouldn’t be doing the same stupid stuff over and over again and in fact he’s gotten worse. It’s cool though. I think we all know how easily impressed you are so I’m sure you’re happy. 

So you believe  he thinks it's never his fault because ... he's going to continue to be aggressive. Another great argument there ...

Just now, brkmsn said:

So you believe  he thinks it's never his fault because ... he's going to continue to be aggressive. Another great argument there ...

Aggressively be stupid. Yeah I’m not surprised you of all people are happy with that.

Just now, EazyEaglez said:

Aggressively be stupid. Yeah I’m not surprised you of all people are happy with that.

... and another straw man

1 minute ago, brkmsn said:

... and another straw man

What even is your argument? Actually never mind I don’t really care. Don’t you have some videos of JJAW running routes to post? 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, EazyEaglez said:

What even is your argument? 

I disagreed with your claim that he never thinks his poor play is his fault. Try to stay focused. 

• Like 1

Funny that Carson has some of you dopes thinking he’s concerned and going to change, but the guy didn’t even know how many fumbles he’s had in games until he was told last night. Yeah how’s he gonna "fix” something he doesn’t even realize was a problem? Just keep being blissful in your ignorance. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Funny that Carson has some of you dopes thinking he’s concerned and going to change, but the guy didn’t even know how many fumbles he’s had in games until he was told last night. Yeah how’s he gonna "fix” something he doesn’t he realize was a problem? Just keep being blissful in your ignorance. 

You know how they say QBs should have short term memory with those situations? Well Wentz has Parkinson's .

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

One way or another, the Eagles will not be paying Wentz $32m in 2022.  Just something to be aware of.

Is that a buyout year? He certainly isn’t worth that kind of money right now.