Derion Kendrick (Clemson CB) -- 2021 Draft / Arrested

Ray75

7DF82450-7955-4E56-AA26-787C55D4A9BC.jpeg

6’0 ft / 190 lbs

The former 5-star recruit converted from wide receiver to cornerback. To be a full-time starter in Brent Venables defense as only a sophomore, it is a testament to Kendrick’s potential. Maybe playing QB in high school has something to do with that.

Kendrick moves downhill really fast and is a very fluid mover. His instincts for being so new to the position are very good. He has flash plays that show elite level mirror ability. 

He has excellent ball skills and is always around the football. He goes after the football when it is in the air, which is why Kendrick has big-play potential. He stands out in press coverage and projects well as an outside cornerback in a man scheme at the next level. 

Kendrick can build up speed, making it a lot easier for him to defend vertical routes. 

Having played both wideout and QB, he just understands passing concepts and routes. Therefor I believe he’ll also do fine in a zone coverage scheme.

As a whole, his potential is what makes him so enticing. He hasn’t played that much, so if everything clicks in his junior season, Derion has the chance to shoot up draft boards and it sure is looking that way right now.

Projection; late 1st/early 2nd round 

Pro comparison; Tre’davious White, CB, Buffalo Bills

• Like 3

Pro comparison to Tre'davious White, huh?  We need that on this team.  We do really need a 2nd outside CB and Slay is 30 and has been hurt this season so within 2-3 years we're going to need both outside CB spots filled so it does make sense to draft one to put in place now.  I do think the Eagles will go any of OL/DE/DT/CB/WR with their first pick, whichever player they consider BPA at the time as long as Howie doesn't try to outsmart himself again.  I would say that OL/DL/WR are more likely, but depending how the board falls and what CBs are there that they need to consider the position since we really have nothing that's both solid and long term right now.

Interesting that he's played both QB and WR.  It's like with Ward having played QB so he understands running routes and where to be for his QB.  Kendrick should have that understanding of route concepts both in man and zone and having also played WR he should have better ball skills than most CBs so he could be a potential ballhawk, which is what I'd like to see on this team.  TOs are game changers so I want DBs who can get the ball.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Green_Guinness said:

Pro comparison to Tre'davious White, huh?  We need that on this team.  We do really need a 2nd outside CB and Slay is 30 and has been hurt this season so within 2-3 years we're going to need both outside CB spots filled so it does make sense to draft one to put in place now.  I do think the Eagles will go any of OL/DE/DT/CB/WR with their first pick, whichever player they consider BPA at the time as long as Howie doesn't try to outsmart himself again.  I would say that OL/DL/WR are more likely, but depending how the board falls and what CBs are there that they need to consider the position since we really have nothing that's both solid and long term right now.

Interesting that he's played both QB and WR.  It's like with Ward having played QB so he understands running routes and where to be for his QB.  Kendrick should have that understanding of route concepts both in man and zone and having also played WR he should have better ball skills than most CBs so he could be a potential ballhawk, which is what I'd like to see on this team.  TOs are game changers so I want DBs who can get the ball.

Well...luckily the CB class is pretty deep and talented which is why I believe the Eagles will go in another direction in the first AGAIN.

I don’t think they’ll go receiver back to back in the first which leads me to DE or OL.

At or around pick 19 in which they’re currently slotted, a handful of good pass rushers (Patrick Jones II, Kwity Paye, Carlos Basham Jr.) and O-linemen, especially IOL (Creed Humphrey, Wyatt Davis) will be available or within reach.

If I had to guess, they’ll probably go edge in the first with BG and VC over 30, Barnett on a 5th year option and Sweat entering a contract year.

A solid outside corner can be had in the first half of the second round.

Personally I’d love them to go corner in round 1 but after 20 years of neglecting that position in the first, I’m not holding my breath.

On 11/10/2020 at 12:57 PM, Ray75 said:

Well...luckily the CB class is pretty deep and talented which is why I believe the Eagles will go in another direction in the first AGAIN.

I don’t think they’ll go receiver back to back in the first which leads me to DE or OL.

At or around pick 19 in which they’re currently slotted, a handful of good pass rushers (Patrick Jones II, Kwity Paye, Carlos Basham Jr.) and O-linemen, especially IOL (Creed Humphrey, Wyatt Davis) will be available or within reach.

If I had to guess, they’ll probably go edge in the first with BG and VC over 30, Barnett on a 5th year option and Sweat entering a contract year.

A solid outside corner can be had in the first half of the second round.

Personally I’d love them to go corner in round 1 but after 20 years of neglecting that position in the first, I’m not holding my breath.

Yeah. -  DB and Ol in the first two rounds. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, eggs said:

Yeah. -  DB and Ol in the first two rounds. 

I think they’ll go DE and DB in that order.

Just do the math, every 4-5 years they take a pass rusher in the first. From BG to Marcus Smith to Derek Barnett... 

It also happens to be a huge need with BG getting up there in age and his heir possibly not on the roster yet.

6 posts in and he's still not called Kendricks.  

:nonono:

Not a chance in hell we get him.

i kid. He seems to be the kind of player we lack. Hopefully with a different scheme next year we can have corners who actually are allowed to cover and go for the ball. I just worry somehow Schwartz is back and Kendrick is playing 7 yards away from the receiver so he's considered a bust.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 20dawk4life said:

6 posts in and he's still not called Kendricks.  

:nonono:

Not a chance in hell we get him.

i kid. He seems to be the kind of player we lack. Hopefully with a different scheme next year we can have corners who actually are allowed to cover and go for the ball. I just worry somehow Schwartz is back and Kendrick is playing 7 yards away from the receiver so he's considered a bust.  

If Schwartz is back, this kid will probably not be on their radar.

On 11/14/2020 at 6:50 AM, 20dawk4life said:

7 yards away from the receiver so he's considered a bust.  

Social distancing

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

If we end up with Chase in the 1st and either Samuel or Kendrick in the 2nd it will be a really solid start to the draft that adds projected top end talent and also addresses two major areas of need in the process.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, time2rock said:

If we end up with Chase in the 1st and either Samuel or Kendrick in the 2nd it will be a really solid start to the draft that adds projected top end talent and also addresses two major areas of need.  

So you're saying we go DT and QB? 

1 minute ago, 20dawk4life said:

So you're saying we go DT and QB? 

Knowing Howie it very well could be DE and OL.  

Just now, time2rock said:

Knowing Howie it very well could be DE and OL.  

We need OL so I wouldn't be too upset with that. 

4 hours ago, Godfather said:

First 2 rds.... Chase and Kendricks 

Chase or Smith in the first and Kendrick in the second...homerun!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

Dude your new picture is throwing me off and I'm not realising it's you! 😁

Man that would potentially be a fantastic first and second round. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Dude your new picture is throwing me off and I'm not realising it's you! 😁

Man that would potentially be a fantastic first and second round. 

Old man Logan! What a great movie that was...

Was looking for something more dramatic. It worked! LOL

10 hours ago, Ray75 said:

Make it happen

• 3 weeks later...

I know you shouldn't judge a player off just one game, but he looked pretty vulnerable last night against the Ohio State WRs.

I'd put a few other guys ahead of him in my tier of 2nd round CB prospects.

It'll be interesting to see how Patrick Surtain II from Alabama fares against the Ohio State WRs in the championship game. A good performance there could push him ahead of Caleb Farley to be the 1st CB off the board.

1 minute ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

I know you shouldn't judge a player off just one game, but he looked pretty vulnerable last night against the Ohio State WRs.

I'd put a few other guys ahead of him in my tier of 2nd round CB prospects.

It'll be interesting to see how Patrick Surtain II from Alabama fares against the Ohio State WRs in the championship game. A good performance there could push him ahead of Caleb Farley to be the 1st CB off the board.

Indeed!

My CB ranking:

1) Surtain; 2) Farley; 3) Horn; 4) Stokes; 5) Samuel Jr; 6) Kendrick; 7) Campbell; 8) Wade;

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ray75 said:

Indeed!

My CB ranking:

1) Surtain; 2) Farley; 3) Horn; 4) Stokes; 5) Samuel Jr; 6) Kendrick; 7) Campbell; 😎 Wade;

Would you take Surtain at 5-7? Which is likely where we will be drafting. 

56 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Would you take Surtain at 5-7? Which is likely where we will be drafting. 

I like Surtain but I just don’t view him as an elite prospect. He’s Marlon Humphrey 2.0 IMO. Very good, very solid corner but not in the same class as the Jalen Ramsey’s and Denzel Ward’s off this World. Nothing wrong with that because we could definitely use a solid albeit unspectacular outside corner.

• Like 1