Asante Samuel Jr. (Florida State CB) -- DRAFTED BY L.A. CHARGERS #47

Jenkins27

Like him a lot but what is he?! 5’10 ft?! 

Reminds me a bit of Jaire Alexander (Packers). Small but feisty corner.

12 hours ago, 20dawk4life said:

You just had to add the S

Only reason I came in here. Had to put up with people spelling it wrong for years, only to now have the annoyance yet again. damn it. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, stinkfist said:

@Jenkins27 I'm trying to figure you out. Can't tell if you are an evil genius fisherman or if I should kill you. 

giphy.gif

I hope we draft him and he wears the same number so we can rock our Samuels jerseys again.

On 11/10/2020 at 9:26 PM, Jenkins27 said:

I hope we draft him and he wears the same number so we can rock our Samuels jerseys again.

They’ll purposely have him wear a different number so you have to buy another jersey. They’re not dumb. 

• Sad 1

• 5 weeks later...

Don’t be surprised if he is an option with the Eagles 2nd round pick.  He’s currently the #6 rated CB on PFF big board; to me he looks better than that rating. 
Capable of playing on both sides of the field, which is pretty rare at the college level, tackles 1000X better than his father, and can even play some special teams.

Warning — mute the sound on the video:

Much more aggressive tackler than his father, that’s for sure. 

I’d take him in round 2, but Schwartz needs to be gone. His scheme destroys his DBs. 

43 minutes ago, nipples said:

Much more aggressive tackler than his father, that’s for sure. 

I’d take him in round 2, but Schwartz needs to be gone. His scheme destroys his DBs. 

Absolutely should be a round 2 target. 

It seems like a pretty safe assumption Schwartz won't be back ... otherwise you'd think they would have extended him by now.  

13 hours ago, Alphagrand said:

Don’t be surprised if he is an option with the Eagles 2nd round pick.  He’s currently the #6 rated CB on PFF big board; to me he looks better than that rating. 
Capable of playing on both sides of the field, which is pretty rare at the college level, tackles 1000X better than his father, and can even play some special teams.

Warning — mute the sound on the video:

Mumble rap?

3 hours ago, Godfather said:

I hope he falls to the 2nd

Fortunately we’ll be picking at the top of each round so if he does fall to the 2nd he should be there for the taking.  Now whether or not Howie is smart enough to take him is a different story.  He’ll probably take some unknown S from a DIII school thinking he is smarter than everyone else. 

On 12/10/2020 at 6:11 PM, time2rock said:

Fortunately we’ll be picking at the top of each round so if he does fall to the 2nd he should be there for the taking.  Now whether or not Howie is smart enough to take him is a different story.  He’ll probably take some unknown S from a DIII school thinking he is smarter than everyone else. 

Will we? I’m not so sure. If Hurts continues to play smart and minimize mistakes, I think they get at least one more win. And honestly if they manage to beat Arizona this weekend... they might even win the division. 

23 minutes ago, nipples said:

Will we? I’m not so sure. If Hurts continues to play smart and minimize mistakes, I think they get at least one more win. And honestly if they manage to beat Arizona this weekend... they might even win the division. 

Gut feeling says we will be picking in the top 10, specifically somewhere between 6 and 9 when all is said and done.  LA's win last night pushed us up one spot from 9 to 8.  WFT is currently 2 games ahead of us.  They'd basically have to lose out and we win out in order to win the division - I don't see either happening.  

4 hours ago, time2rock said:

Gut feeling says we will be picking in the top 10, specifically somewhere between 6 and 9 when all is said and done.  LA's win last night pushed us up one spot from 9 to 8.  WFT is currently 2 games ahead of us.  They'd basically have to lose out and we win out in order to win the division - I don't see either happening.  

Not true. Washington is 1.5 games up on us. Eagles win out (which includes a win against Washington, obviously) and WFT only have to lose one of the next two. 

Washington has Seattle this weekend and the Giants have the browns. Very real possibility both lose. If that happens, Eagles winning these last three games gets them in. Maybe I’m nuts, but I just see a team with a very different energy with Hurts at QB. I think they WILL win the last three.  

4 minutes ago, nipples said:

Not true. Washington is 1.5 games up on us. Eagles win out (which includes a win against Washington, obviously) and WFT only has to lose one of the next two. 

Washington has Seattle this weekend and the Giants have the browns. Very real possibility both lose. If that happens, Eagles winning these last three games, they’re in. 

Not expecting to go on a 4 game win streak when we’ve only won 4 all year.  

I better go dust off the Rafiki memes just in case.

"Asante Samuel, squashed banana..."

I wouldn't necessarily be upset if Samuel Jr. was our 2nd round pick, but with all of the projected 1st-2nd round CBs coming in this year that have the ideal CB1 size, I would prefer someone like Derion Kendrick from Clemson or either of the Georgia CBs, Eric Stokes or Tyson Campbell in Round 2 if available.

The upside with Samuel is the playmaking ability despite being on the smaller end of CBs though, but it would be nice to have someone else other than Slay that has the size to play on the outside and matchup against bigger WRs.

I love him in the 2nd round. A really good off-ball CB like his dad, which would fit well with how Schwartz uses his CBs. Him and Slay on the outside with Maddox as NCB sounds serviceable.

• Like 1

As far as CBs go I would take whoever is the biggest ballhawk and has the potential to get the most INTs.  The time of the lockdown CB is coming to an end with how the NFL has made rules that favour the WRs.  It's the Fantasy Football Era and Roger (and most of the casual fans, which are the fans Roger is trying to rope in) wants games that look more like Arena Football.  DBs are going to get burned now and then so among them give me the ones with the best ball skills who can create TOs. 

If Samuel Jr. is that kind of CB then I'd have no problem taking him in early Round 2.