Asante Samuel Jr. (Florida State CB) -- DRAFTED BY L.A. CHARGERS #47

Jenkins27

This one slid too far down, gotta bump it up. Chase or Smith at #6, Samuel Jr in round 2. Make it happen Howie, you incompetent F. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, nipples said:

This one slid too far down, gotta bump it up. Chase or Smith at #6, Samuel Jr in round 2. Make it happen Howie, you incompetent F. 

Agreed. Those are the first two picks I'm hoping for. He can't F this up by overthinking it... or can he? For once in his life I hope he just takes the consensus picks and not some random late round projected future bust.

15 minutes ago, nipples said:

This is what I am hoping for the most.  If we go elsewhere with pick 6 then hoping for either Bateman or one of the 2nd tier CBs (Samuel Jr, Campbell, Horn) in the 2nd, depending on which position they address with 6.

3 hours ago, time2rock said:

This is what I am hoping for the most.  If we go elsewhere with pick 6 then hoping for either Bateman or one of the 2nd tier CBs (Samuel Jr, Campbell, Horn) in the 2nd, depending on which position they address with 6.

I am hoping for Chase R1, Samuel R2

or

Farley R1, Olave/Bateman R2

• 3 months later...

If he makes it past the Falcons, I think Samuel Jr. is our guy in Round 2. Eagles have shown a lot of interest in him. If he's off the board there are still some other good outside CB prospects left: Tyson Campbell, Ifeatu Melifonwu, Kelvin Joseph. Don't forget the top safeties: Trevon Moehrig, Richie Grant, Jevon Holland. 

Maybe the Eagles surprise us and goes LB here (JOK or Nick Bolton?), but I think DB seems like a safer bet at 37.

• Like 2

I'm still not sure. He's undersized for an outside corner so where does he fit? Slot corner sure but then who plays opposite Slay? Because it can't be Maddox. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

If he makes it past the Falcons, I think Samuel Jr. is our guy in Round 2. Eagles have shown a lot of interest in him. If he's off the board there are still some other good outside CB prospects left: Tyson Campbell, Ifeatu Melifonwu, Kelvin Joseph. Don't forget the top safeties: Trevon Moehrig, Richie Grant, Jevon Holland. 

Maybe the Eagles surprise us and goes LB here (JOK or Nick Bolton?), but I think DB seems like a safer bet at 37.

6 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I'm still not sure. He's undersized for an outside corner so where does he fit? Slot corner sure but then who plays opposite Slay? Because it can't be Maddox. 

I like Samuel and think he can play outside. Not sure if he fits with what Gannan wants to do with his corners though?

If we do take him, I'm looking to take one of the veteran corners still on the market so he doesn't immediately need to start outside. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

I like Samuel and think he can play outside. Not sure if he fits with what Gannan wants to do with his corners though?

If we do take him, I'm looking to take one of the veteran corners still on the market so he doesn't immediately need to start outside. 

Good news is that if we are looking for outside CBS with height and length in Round 2 you still have Tyson Cambpell, Ifeatu Melifonwu, and Kelvin Joseph on the board. With the 5th pick in Rnd 2 we should be able to easily get one of those 3. Or we could grab a guy like Paulson Adebo in Round 3 if we go in a different direction in Round 2.

• Like 1

This makes too much sense to come true. I really hope it happens. C’mon Howie 🙏

• Like 1

7 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

What makes him undersized. I thought 5'10 was avg for a corner these days?

• Like 1

I love the thread title already listed him as "Samuels" 😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This one is still hard to believe. He does not fit the perceived scheme. Gannon allegedly likes long lengthy press corners. Samuel is the exact opposite. I would be shocked if they draft him. I honestly expect the eagles to trade down and try to get that 3rd back.

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, philafan4o8 said:

This one is still hard to believe. He does not fit the perceived scheme. Gannon allegedly likes long lengthy press corners. Samuel is the exact opposite. I would be shocked if they draft him. I honestly expect the eagles to trade down and try to get that 3rd back.

We have a 3rd, plus not enough cap room to sign that many rookies anyway. I don’t think they are worried about getting that 3rd back. I actually expect them to trade up again at some point or trade away a pick for a future pick in order to get rid of another pick that may not make the roster or we can’t afford sign.

I do worry about the scheme fit. I read Gannon wants to run a lot of zone. Asante is more so effective in man.

11 minutes ago, Jenkins27 said:

We have a 3rd, plus not enough cap room to sign that many rookies anyway. I don’t think they are worried about getting that 3rd back. I actually expect them to trade up again at some point or trade away a pick for a future pick in order to get rid of another pick that may not make the roster or we can’t afford sign.

I do worry about the scheme fit. I read Gannon wants to run a lot of zone. Asante is more so effective in man.

I know we have a 3rd, I am talking about getting the another 3rd because we started with 2. But yes they will likely trade some of those day 3 picks. They should draft at least 9 guys in this draft.

Interesting, I think Samuel is best as a read and react corner in off man situations. I’ll have to watch his tape again but he looks more of a zone corner to me so he fits that IMO. Just that length and press ability or lack there of 

I know you guys are trying to be funny because of what happened with his dad, but please stop adding the "S" to the end of "Samuel".

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Moderator5 said:

I know you guys are trying to be funny because of what happened with his dad, but please stop adding the "S" to the end of "Samuel".

That’s some No Fun League stuff 😤😤

30 minutes ago, Moderator5 said:

3-7-fun-police-oh-miss-nothing.gif

• Thanks 1

I think Samuel is currently the most likely pick at #37.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ilikepargo said:

I think Samuel is currently the most likely pick at #37.

Apparently we showed a ton of interest in him so yeah I can absolutely see that. I think there will be better players on the board though. 

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Apparently we showed a ton of interest in him so yeah I can absolutely see that. I think there will be better players on the board though. 

I like ASJ a lot.  JOK is a better prospect. Barmore I debate. These DE and DTs get worked so slowly into our system that I suspect we'll draft a 1st rd DL next year leaving a guy we take this year in the dust.

1 minute ago, pgcd3 said:

I like ASJ a lot.  JOK is a better prospect. Barmore I debate. These DE and DTs get worked so slowly into our system that I suspect we'll draft a 1st rd DL next year leaving a guy we take this year in the dust.

I like ASJ a lot too but this roster is so void of young talent I just want them to add players who can be studs. If they nail DL this year then that gives them more options next year. A DT or DE would get plenty of opportunities in this DL.

3 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I like ASJ a lot too but this roster is so void of young talent I just want them to add players who can be studs. If they nail DL this year then that gives them more options next year. A DT or DE would get plenty of opportunities in this DL.

Do you think Barmore would get a lot of snaps?  Some for sure but a lot?  I'm not against it really but I just suspect it will only amount to a smattering 

Just now, pgcd3 said:

Do you think Barmore would get a lot of snaps?  Some for sure but a lot?  I'm not against it really but I just suspect it will only amount to a smattering 

Depends what you mean by a lot? He gets after the passer so yeah he has a role. Cox is getting older and needs more rotation. He's been overused the last few years due to injuries.