Eagles playoff simulator tool

Hawkeye

7 hours ago, NOTW said:

They were healthy today.

And we saw what they were capable of.......terrible performance.

This kind of game is indefensible.  It highlighted exactly what has been wrong with this team all year, Pedersen, Wentz and bad defense.

As we move further and further from the super bowl win, it's becoming painfully apparent that it was a real fluke that they won it all with Pedersen. Reich and Defillipo had big influence on Wentz, Foles and the offense.  Pedersen's playcalling is lousy, and he can't seem to make a hard decision when it comes to Wentz and is willing to sacrifice the season to try and get Wentz straightened out.......and that's putting one player above the team.  Watching the offense's body language yesterday, it's clear they have lost faith in Wentz.  And I'm sure the defense has too. 

I'm never one for pulling a QB after a few bad games, but this has been all season. 9 games.  But Pedersen said during his post game that he thought Wentz played well.  Therein lies most of the problem.  He did not play well.  Wentz is playing scared, not trusting his arm or his receivers and it's affecting his mechanics and decision making.

It's also obvious that the eagles were running the ball well against a good run defense but couldn't get anything downfield against a lousy pass defense.  Wentz SHOULD have shredded the giants yesterday.  He didn't come close.  You can't question the effectiveness of the WRs or the TEs when the QB is a mess. 

Pedersen is at a crucial point in the season.  If he continues to put Wentz above the rest of the team, they're going to lose a playoff spot in the worse division in recent history, which in the long run, may not be a bad thing.  But draft slots are not what you play for......

Wentz needs to be benched, probably for the rest of the season and only available as an emergency QB.  He needs to get a different perspective.  If he is their long term QB, they need to do what they need to do to get him back on track and, with the head problems he has, you can't play it out of him.  Hand the reigns to Sudfeld or Hurts or get them both on the field at the same time, but that takes creativity, something Pedersen is severely lacking.  But I'm willing to bet that Sudfeld and Hurst decision making is better and quicker at this point. Receivers are getting open, but Wentz is not making his reads or his decisions fast enough.

At this point, the eagles have nothing to lose by making the switch.  Both the giants and the redskins are playing better football which boggles the mind.  Personally, I would go with Sudfeld as he has played well in the very limited time he's played, is accurate and has a big arm.  But Hurts could bring another dimension also.  

Either way, I think it would give the offense a spark even with the lousy play calling.  They should give that to Morningweig.  He's had some success play calling in the past and they need a new perspective.  They're hitting the hardest part of their schedule....it's not the time to continue what they're doing...this wasn't a one game fluke.  Something has to change, they just need the balls to make the change.

The narrative was deservingly on Wentz after the Cowboys game issues, but I don't buy carrying over that narrative to this game based on yesterday. Wentz played within the system, didn't make any glaringly bad mistakes, protected the ball better than any other game this season (even with all the bad snaps), didn't hold the ball too long, and didn't play "hero ball."

The offense still struggled. It's hard to believe that's possible with such a great balance* of run and pass ...

* yes, it is sarcasm

15 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

The narrative was deservingly on Wentz after the Cowboys game issues, but I don't buy carrying over that narrative to this game based on yesterday. Wentz played within the system, didn't make any glaringly bad mistakes, protected the ball better than any other game this season (even with all the bad snaps), didn't hold the ball too long, and didn't play "hero ball."

The offense still struggled. It's hard to believe that's possible with such a great balance* of run and pass ...

* yes, it is sarcasm

So that’s your standard for our $130M, "franchise qb ?” That he’s just doesn’t F up so bad to lose games by himself?

His accuracy was atrocious, and some of his decision making not much better. Like all season, he was sailing balls high. Who knows how the outcome would have changed if he hadn’t badly overthrown so many passes, like the one down the seam to Goedert early in the game. 

He is still playing like a 1-2 read QB, and routinely locked onto his first read yesterday even if it wasn’t there. 

No turnovers yesterday, but at least two balls that very well could have been picked off. I’m sorry if I expect more of our big money QB than to just be a bottom 10 QB. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nipples said:

So that’s your standard for our $130M, "franchise qb ?” That he’s just doesn’t F up so bad to lose games by himself?

His accuracy was atrocious, and some of his decision making not much better. Like all season, he was sailing balls high. Who knows how the outcome would have changed if he hadn’t badly overthrown so many passes, like the one down the seam to Goedert early in the game. 

He is still playing like a 1-2 read QB, and routinely locked onto his first read yesterday even if it wasn’t there. 

No turnovers yesterday, but at least two balls that very well could have been picked off. I’m sorry if I expect more of our big money QB than to just be a bottom 10 QB. 

All QBs miss throws. I know it sucks when it's our QB, but lets not pretend it only happens here. The high throw to Jeffery was a case where the defender rushing Wentz put his hand up and Wentz had to throw over it. What about the other "close calls?" I'm sure the blame could go to Wentz or the receiver and there's no way to know really which guy was off. But if you make a couple of those catches, the game could have been different. 

Anyway, it's not my standard, but when a team plays well defensively against you, you have to hope your own defense holds up. If that doesn't happen, I'm not heaping extra blame on the QB. Was it a great game by Wentz? No. 

Are you wanting "hero ball" back?

26 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

* yes, it is sarcasm

He played better, sure.  But still no where near good enough.  

He basically went from playing like a bottom 5 QB to a bottom third QB.  

I honestly don't expect him to play any better until he has better coaching and a better offensive scheme.  

4 minutes ago, time2rock said:

He played better, sure.  But still no where near good enough.  

He basically went from playing like a bottom 5 QB to a bottom third QB.  

I honestly don't expect him to play any better until he has better coaching and a better offensive scheme.  

Things would be a lot easier for Wentz if 6.8 ypc was enough to encourage Doug to balance the offense. 

2 hours ago, brkmsn said:

* yes, it is sarcasm

You're correct that Wentz did all those things, but that's not what defines playing well as Pedersen said he did.  Those are fundamentals of QB play. Performance has to build off of them but Wentz is playing scared and thinking waaaaaaay too much.   and that is indicated by his 5.6 YPP.....His YPC was about 9.9.... same as all year.  3rd and 4th down conversions were 1 of 12.  Easily the worst of the year.  

I realize stats are only part of the story.......The giants, while having a top 10 rush defense, are a bottom 8 pass defense.  Wentz should have had a big day.  But they produced very little thru the air.

Wentz was just one factor to cause this loss.  Pedersen and Schwartz carry most of the load.  The eagles were not prepared, uninspired, with a poor game plan.  They came out flat against a 2-7 NFCE team with the chance to make a statement, and they folded like a cheap lawn chair.  The schemes and game plans are not working, they do nothing to help Wentz get back on track, they continually fall behind early and the whole team plays with no urgency at all.

Pedersen's claim that it's not an effort thing is just bullsh-- because he doesn't want to throw them under a bus.  But from what I saw yesterday, they're are definitely a bunch of guys that need a kick in the a-- or a severe wake up call.  Many of these guys are not playing to their ability.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, birdman#12 said:

You're correct that Wentz did all those things, but that's not what defines playing well as Pedersen said he did.  Those are fundamentals of QB play. Performance has to build off of them but Wentz is playing scared and thinking waaaaaaay too much.   and that is indicated by his 5.6 YPP.....His YPC was about 9.9.... same as all year.  3rd and 4th down conversions were 1 of 12.  Easily the worst of the year.  

I realize stats are only part of the story.......The giants, while having a top 10 rush defense, are a bottom 8 pass defense.  Wentz should have had a big day.  But they produced very little thru the air.

Wentz was just one factor to cause this loss.  Pedersen and Schwartz carry most of the load.  The eagles were not prepared, uninspired, with a poor game plan.  They came out flat against a 2-7 NFCE team with the chance to make a statement, and they folded like a cheap lawn chair.  The schemes and game plans are not working, they do nothing to help Wentz get back on track, they continually fall behind early and the whole team plays with no urgency at all.

Pedersen's claim that it's not an effort thing is just bullsh-- because he doesn't want to throw them under a bus.  But from what I saw yesterday, they're are definitely a bunch of guys that need a kick in the a-- or a severe wake up call.  Many of these guys are not playing to their ability.

Wish I could like this post more than once.  

4 hours ago, birdman#12 said:

Many of these guys are not playing to their ability.

Unless they are.  I think this team has a serious lack of talent.  On top of that, the game planning is baffling and the execution is horrible.

• 0 for 9 on 3rd down.
  • 11 penalties
  • Daniel Jones schooled Wentz
  • Doug is now 1-4 after the bye week

It's inexcusable and big changes must be made.  That's just the way it is has become. 

Oh, and the Eagles still have a 64% shot at making the playoffs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hawkeye said:

Unless they are.  I think this team has a serious lack of talent.  On top of that, the game planning is baffling and the execution is horrible.

Bingo. I don't know why people are struggling to see that. It's like denial or something. 

What is really surprising people about this year?

Wentz sucking at QB is about the only real surprise at this point. 

I mean, injuries? Yep those were expected. Issues in the secondary? Yep those too. Issues at LB? Shocker. WRs not being great? I mean honestly I just don't get the denial with this team. 

12 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

It's like denial or something. 

Denial is a powerful coping mechanism.

Wentz's alarming regression has Eagles fans getting sentimental for Sam Bradford but hey, Howie sure screwed things up this time.
Doug's play calling is fundamentally flawed and, like his mentor Andy Reid, he simply will not commit to the run game. But hey, maybe hiring another offensive assistant or two will do the trick. It's like that. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

Denial is a powerful coping mechanism.

Wentz's alarming regression has Eagles fans getting sentimental for Sam Bradford but hey, Howie sure screwed things up this time.
Doug's play calling is fundamentally flawed and, like his mentor Andy Reid, he simply will not commit to the run game. But hey, maybe hiring another offensive assistant or two will do the trick. It's like that. 

Yeah agreed. 

Wentz alarming regression is explained by excuses. 

The roster construction is explained by justifications over the odd good move. 

This team is old, the cap situation is a mess and the roster is flawed.

Howie has to go. Doug should either hand over the offense or go. Wentz should be benched. 

8 hours ago, brkmsn said:

All QBs miss throws. I know it sucks when it's our QB, but lets not pretend it only happens here. The high throw to Jeffery was a case where the defender rushing Wentz put his hand up and Wentz had to throw over it. What about the other "close calls?" I'm sure the blame could go to Wentz or the receiver and there's no way to know really which guy was off. But if you make a couple of those catches, the game could have been different. 

Anyway, it's not my standard, but when a team plays well defensively against you, you have to hope your own defense holds up. If that doesn't happen, I'm not heaping extra blame on the QB. Was it a great game by Wentz? No. 

Are you wanting "hero ball" back?

What I want is to get the ball out of Went'z hands and have a running game. Who is at fault for missed snaps? bad protections? The whole team stinks! Wentz is a large part of this fiasco, but so is everyone also, with a few exceptions. It is time to Blow it up!

On 11/16/2020 at 5:11 PM, Traveler Vic said:

What I want is to get the ball out of Went'z hands and have a running game. Who is at fault for missed snaps? bad protections? The whole team stinks! Wentz is a large part of this fiasco, but so is everyone also, with a few exceptions. It is time to Blow it up!

A running game makes the team better to win a game on Sunday.  

Leaning more heavily on the running game to get the ball out of our so-called franchise QB's hands is not exactly a long-term strategy.

And the team is bad enough that I only support long-term strategies.

However, we have seen that Doug can't play chess and think multiple steps in advance...he's just trying to scrape by.  So to that end, I don't understand why they aren't running more.

On 11/16/2020 at 8:34 AM, brkmsn said:

Things would be a lot easier for Wentz if 6.8 ypc was enough to encourage Doug to balance the offense. 

Things would also be a lot easier for him if he’d throw the ball to his receivers instead of 5 feet over their heads. 

On 11/16/2020 at 3:03 PM, Hawkeye said:

• 0 for 9 on 3rd down.
  • 11 penalties
  • Daniel Jones schooled Wentz
  • Doug is now 1-4 after the bye week

It's inexcusable and big changes must be made.  That's just the way it is has become. 

Oh, and the Eagles still have a 64% shot at making the playoffs.

Like I said in the GDT. DP always has sucked after a bye. Its like he overthinks it. Even his wife said... why not just game plan like its a Thursday night game. Stop being cute and just play football you moron!! 

No chance they make the playoffs which is for the better. Let the Giants, Washington, or the Cowboys have it so that they can have the lord draft pick and get slaughtered in the first round.

7 minutes ago, xxeaglesfanxx said:

No chance they make the playoffs which is for the better. Let the Giants, Washington, or the Cowboys have it so that they can have the lord draft pick and get slaughtered in the first round.

In this division that's simply not accurate bud. This team has a chance because of how bad this division is. 

2 hours ago, xxeaglesfanxx said:

Can't believe I am saying this....Glad the Cowgurls won.

3 hours ago, xxeaglesfanxx said:

I would rather have them drafting in the top 10 than winning this ish division and dropping down near pick 20.  Not that our FO has been great drafting fing ANYBODY the last few years anyway though.