What if I told you before the season...

Hawkeye

That despite the injuries, idiocy, poor drafting, poor coaching, crappy free agent classes, penalties, injuries, turnovers...

...despite all that...

The Eagles would be alone in first place in the NFC East with the 4th seed and a home playoff game on the horizon heading into Week 11.  You'd take that every time, right? Well...

16 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

That despite the injuries, idiocy, poor drafting, poor coaching, crappy free agent classes, penalties, injuries, turnovers...

...despite all that...

The Eagles would be alone in first place in the NFC East with the 4th seed and a home playoff game on the horizon heading into Week 11.  You'd take that every time, right? Well...

You would have to include that the rest of the division is awful and no team has more than 3 wins heading into week 11.

And you would look at the schedule for the next 5 games and see it's the toughest stretch.  Let's see how they're doing heading into the last 2 division games of the year.

• Like 4

On one hand, winning the division and making the playoffs should be the goal every season.

On the other, do you want to be embarrassed with a big home playoff loss?   If the playoffs started today, we'd host Tom Brady and the Bucs.  They'd hang 45 on our terrible defense and we'd end up losing by 35+.  That's an embarrassment.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NOTW said:

You would have to include that the rest of the division is awful and no team has more than 3 wins heading into week 11.

And you would look at the schedule for the next 5 games and see it's the toughest stretch.  Let's see how they're doing heading into the last 2 division games of the year.

Nope. That would be giving it away.

My scenario is a snapshot in time, without context.  The point being that somehow, heading into the latter weeks of the season, the Eagles are still relevant and they can determine their own destiny.

(I shake my head as I write...)

9 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

Nope. That would be giving it away.

My scenario is a snapshot in time, without context.  The point being that somehow, heading into the latter weeks of the season, the Eagles are still relevant and they can determine their own destiny.

(I shake my head as I write...)

Well if you're limiting it to only the information you want to give and without context it's still a bad picture.  You tell fans that the team is going to feature "injuries, idiocy, poor drafting, poor coaching, crappy free agent classes, penalties, injuries, turnovers" no one would be happy with those things, and knowing they were leading the division despite that, people would have to draw some conclusions.  Either the rest of the division is crappy, they're finding miraculous ways to win or something.  I guess I'm not sure the point of your post, are fans in this scenario supposed to be happy or excited? Or just surprised?  

• Like 1

If I told you at the start of 2017 that by the end of our season our QB would have put a Lombardi in the cabinet and be Superbowl MVP but we'd have released him the year after for a guy who's regular season record since stands at 18 -19 - 1 without any other information you'd be pissed right?

Context matters.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hawkeye said:

That despite the injuries, idiocy, poor drafting, poor coaching, crappy free agent classes, penalties, injuries, turnovers..

Given this stuff alone I'm assuming that this is a more hideous division than even what it's been.         I'd have to assume the Eagles arent much more than .500 at best , with the meat of the schedule coming up. 

In short, no, I wouldn't be happy, because the best case scenario would be a home playoff loss and another  middling draft spot - not that it really matters.         And probably extensions for Pederson and Roseman. 

Come to think of it, I just described the worst case scenario. 

...despite all that...

Funny, before the season started we already had all that and yet I still expected us to be in that position.  I just didn’t think it would be with only 3 wins in a historically bad division and our QB playing as badly as he has been all year.  

I don’t think this team wins more than 1 more game this season. They’ll either beat the Browns or the Football Team. I don’t see them sweeping Dallas, and sure as hell don’t see them winning any of the next five other than possibly Cleveland. 

If they lose this week and Wentz still looks bad yet again, they need to just hand the reins to Hurts for the rest of the season. 

1 hour ago, NOTW said:

Well if you're limiting it to only the information you want to give and without context it's still a bad picture.  You tell fans that the team is going to feature "injuries, idiocy, poor drafting, poor coaching, crappy free agent classes, penalties, injuries, turnovers" no one would be happy with those things, and knowing they were leading the division despite that, people would have to draw some conclusions.  Either the rest of the division is crappy, they're finding miraculous ways to win or something.  I guess I'm not sure the point of your post, are fans in this scenario supposed to be happy or excited? Or just surprised?  

That if someone had told us in August, simply and only, that the Eagles would be where they are in the standings going into week 11 virtually every Eagles fan would be elated. 

Conversely, if you described what a cluster the season has been at the same time most fans would correctly be apoplectic.

Multiple things can be true at the same time.  If you're looking for a ray of light, The Eagles are right in the thick of things despite it all. 

2 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

...despite all that...

I think you'd be able to conclude from the first part that the division must suck. You just may not know how badly though

I wouldn't take it though. We win another crap division. Yay. We wont win a playoff game and Howie will still be here. Plus they may give Schwartz a new contract. That'd be bad for the teams future

3 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

...despite all that...

I am resigned to not making the playoffs. Give me a good draft pick rather than playoff fools gold. 

....That Wentz would be healthy thru 9 games and have 12TD's and 12 INT's, with a QBR of 50 and a Rating of 73. which puts him in 27th place. Also, he has thrown multiple picks in 5 games. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, QBhunter58 said:

I am resigned to not making the playoffs. Give me a good draft pick rather than playoff fools gold. 

Fair enough but if you go back say 5 draft classes to the Wentz class in 2016 you'll have a hard time finding a "good" draft pick. Who's the best player the Eagles have drafted during that span?  Wentz?  Miles Sanders? Sidney Jones??  It's a very discouraging list.

3 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

...despite all that...

Yup, every season. Don't care what our record is. Even now dont care. If we do end up squeezing into the playoffs. This will be a different team.

Just now, Hawkeye said:

Fair enough but if you go back say 5 draft classes to the Wentz class in 2016 you'll have a hard time finding a "good" draft pick. Who's the best player the Eagles have drafted during that span?  Wentz?  Miles Sanders? Sidney Jones??  It's a very discouraging list.

I agree completely, howie doesnt know how to draft. It is infuriating. But he typically does better with top 10 picks, once you get past the blue chip guys he is pretty clueless. 

That if someone had told us in August, simply and only, that the Eagles would be where they are in the standings going into week 11 virtually every Eagles fan would be elated. 

Conversely, if you described what a cluster the season has been at the same time most fans would correctly be apoplectic.

Multiple things can be true at the same time.  If you're looking for a ray of light, The Eagles are right in the thick of things despite it all. 

I see.  Well, I disagree that fans would be "elated" by ""injuries, idiocy, poor drafting, poor coaching, crappy free agent classes, penalties, injuries, turnovers."  Those things would indicate that the division must be bad or they're finding some way to get lucky and win, but most fans would realize a team playing like that is a one and done team in the playoffs at best.  Sounds just like last year's team actually, so it would indicate no improvement and many would expect the team would be one and done and it would not bring the necessary changes to the organization, rather they would think things are doing well they just need to get healthy, add a couple pieces, etc.

Which is exactly what fans are discussing lately.  

32 minutes ago, NOTW said:

I see.  Well, I disagree that fans would be "elated" by ""injuries, idiocy, poor drafting, poor coaching, crappy free agent classes, penalties, injuries, turnovers."  Those things would indicate that the division must be bad or they're finding some way to get lucky and win, but most fans would realize a team playing like that is a one and done team in the playoffs at best.  Sounds just like last year's team actually, so it would indicate no improvement and many would expect the team would be one and done and it would not bring the necessary changes to the organization, rather they would think things are doing well they just need to get healthy, add a couple pieces, etc.

Which is exactly what fans are discussing lately.  

No they'd be elated by the competitive position but horrified by how the team managed to get there.

Then again, as they say in golf, it's not how but how many...

4 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

Umm no. With the run of games we have coming up? I thought this team wanted to start building towards those top seed positions not limping in to the play offs. 

29 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Can’t wait to see how we all feel in five weeks. 

People will be saying we ruined our draft spot, no matter what happens. 

13 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

...despite all that...

I see what you are saying, but my answer is no. They are NOT leading the division because they deserve it, play harder or better than the other teams. They are leading because the other teams WERE worse than them, thus far into the season. But that has changed. The Eagles are NOT the best team in the division now. The Eagles only held "1st place" for a short time, and they won't be 1st at the end of the season, hell, probably in 2 weeks. This team is garbage. This team is WORSE than the Giants, Cowboys AND Washington. UNLESS a miracle proves me wrong, which I would would like to happen.

I don't see that miracle happening this time- not THIS year. They are so bad, people WILL get fired before it's all said and done. The situation has become THAT bad. This team is trash. The coaches that had them winning the Super Bowl are NOT on this team anymore. Doug was NOT the man, as he is showing what he REALLY is, and was all along. The Super Bowl winning coach is coaching the Colts now. This team is dead in the water. Doug is getting fired and Schwartz needs to be fired as well and the team starts from scratch. It's that bad. hard to say that, but it is what it is- a really bad situation. Reality is a bitc* sometimes. This is one of those times.

4 hours ago, Portyansky said:

People will be saying we ruined our draft spot, no matter what happens. 

Well Howie’s still making the picks so I’m not all that excited about the draft anyways. 

3 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Well Howie’s still making the picks so I’m not all that excited about the draft anyways. 

All the more reason to keep losing. It’s much harder to screw up the 5th pick than it is the 20th pick. 

• Like 2