SNES Classic

paco

Need to save this thread since I'm old and its the only way I can participate in this forum.

On 8/22/2017 at 11:08 AM, smokesdawg said:

So, i get all the hype that these "classic" systems have caused.  I missed out on the NES classic system so I'm going to get the SNES.  Amazon has a nice pre-order page where you can sign up for email alerts, all is going well until i wake up this morning to see that SNES went live last night on Amazon and Best Buy and they are already sold out.  Best thing is that Amazon created a new listing and then put it up, negating all of those "alerts" to anyone.  There are a ton of upset nerds today (although that doesn't take much). 

My only hope is Walmart, Target and Gamespot got enough.

On 8/22/2017 at 11:14 AM, Mat said:

They will re-release them like they did the NES. First batch sold instantly and a couple months later they got more. 

Sega are giant aceholes. They have re-released the same system 4 times and the new one actually takes HDMI and does a bunch of other stuff including playing cartridges. I don't mind them releasing more, but tricking it out compared to the one people had already bought is just going to piss people off. 

On 8/22/2017 at 3:32 PM, IndianaJones said:

wish they would re-release the NES again, I do not want to pay 200ish for one.  I refuse.  I sooooo want one though lol

On 8/22/2017 at 4:24 PM, rambo said:

This.  I'd love for my kids to experience what I grew up with.  Plus NES is much easier for a 4 and 6 year old.

On 8/22/2017 at 4:43 PM, IndianaJones said:

exactly...plus, i just want to play tecmo super bowl with qb eagles.  throw bombs to fred and calvin.  Throw KB at TE, run with Sherman.  Ok, I may have played it a lot lol

• Like 1

On 8/22/2017 at 7:16 PM, Agent23 said:

Everything I read a few months back said the snes classic is going to be beat af. Including tons of games none of you ever heard of and leaving out 90% of the snes era bangers. Same with Sega

On 8/22/2017 at 7:31 PM, IndianaJones said:

that why you can hack them.

On 8/23/2017 at 7:21 PM, metalhead0043 said:

I'm pretty sure Gamestop is sold out. Toys R Us isn't doing preorders so they are probably your best bet, but you'll likely have to camp out to get one. I wanted one but given the massive hype around it and how it's selling out everywhere almost immediately it seems pretty unlikely. If Nintendo makes an ample supply maybe I'll grab one down the road. If not, F 'em. I can just use an emulator and play everything on my PC anyway.

On 8/23/2017 at 11:49 PM, theJesterr said:

I have the real SNES, love it. Just buy one on ebay. Nothing like the real thing.

On 8/24/2017 at 1:04 AM, bwestbrook36 said:

I agree with this.... You can just buy the real thing and some games for like 80 bucks. Guess people these days are to alzy just collect them and want it all at once

On 8/24/2017 at 11:26 AM, theJesterr said:

Yup on Ebay you can get a nice little starter bundle for around $100, you can get the system, 2-3 good classic games and 2 controllers. All you need to start is SMB All-Stars, Donkey Kong, and Turtles in Time. 

On 8/25/2017 at 5:29 PM, twistr said:

I have an SNES, but I still plan on trying to get the SNES Classic. I despise the way that SD systems look on HD screens. I need to get a CRT to play on my old systems one of these days, a decently small one...

On 8/25/2017 at 6:09 PM, rambo said:

I have a small one in my basement that was left here when we bought the house.  Stand and tv are yours.  VCR will cost you though. 

On 12/29/2017 at 11:20 PM, paco said:

I got one :-)

On 12/29/2017 at 11:59 PM, Mat said:

Same, I was playing DK Country Christmas eve and got F'ed up by the first level on the ice world. 

On 12/30/2017 at 1:56 PM, paco said:

Of course when I got it I played through a lot of old favorites (Mario Kart, SF2, DKC, Contra3, Mega Man X), then the other night I thought, let's try one I never played before. So I selected earthbound. Had No concept of it. 

Immediate reaction: Oh, it's an RPG <_<

15 minutes in: This is stupid  <_<

I've since logged in 12 hours. :blush:

On 12/30/2017 at 3:39 PM, HazletonEagle said:

I had an NES classic in my cart as soon as they went on sale on Toysrus.com. Completed the order. Then got an email a day later saying my order was cancelled. Never had a chance at another one. I still have a working NES. Dont care to play it. Whatevs. 

Never tried for SNES classic, but just before christmas my friend got a call from one of his friends. She picked one up for him as she just happened to be walking past it at wal mart when they were putting 2 out. 

Both systems have nostalgia for me. Spent a lot of hours on DK Country with friends, and my mom actually loved the game. 

But nothing compares to the hours logged on the N64 for me. NFL QB Club 96, Mario 64, Golden Eye, and Tony Hawk. We had football games through the day, laser tag at night, and when the boys in the hood finally went in for the night, it was Golden eye or Tony Hawk tournaments through the night. 

Up till 2011 I had my N64 till it was lost in a flood. If they release those puppies, one of those will be mine. 

On 12/30/2017 at 6:28 PM, bwestbrook36 said:

I just read an article that n64 was one of the hottest selling items this Christmas. 

On 1/1/2018 at 4:32 AM, Bill_CIA said:

From a biz standpoint I don't know why Nintendo is keeping supply this short given the demand. 

Money on the table.

On 1/1/2018 at 4:51 AM, VaBeach_Eagle said:
On 12/29/2017 at 11:20 PM, paco said:

I got one :-)

I had 25 of them. I don't have them anymore...

On 1/1/2018 at 9:05 AM, bwestbrook36 said:
On 1/1/2018 at 4:32 AM, Bill_CIA said:

From a biz standpoint I don't know why Nintendo is keeping supply this short given the demand. 

Money on the table.

Cause no Nintendo knows the demand will always be there no matter what. They won't lose money on it they have made billions off the same games since the 80's. 

On 1/1/2018 at 1:36 PM, Bill_CIA said:

I get that, but when supply is shorted this much with how organic the demand is that's leaving money on the table. 

On 1/1/2018 at 1:42 PM, bwestbrook36 said:

Those jerks will figure out a way to get it back. Nintendo doesn't give a crap about that stuff. Their name sells itself no matter what they put out or how much they put out. 

On 1/1/2018 at 2:09 PM, we_gotta_believe said:

That's not always the case. The Wii U sales were abysmal.

On 1/1/2018 at 2:34 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:
On 1/1/2018 at 1:36 PM, Bill_CIA said:

I get that, but when supply is shorted this much with how organic the demand is that's leaving money on the table. 

I hope they stay in very short supply, with somewhat high demand. Money to be made by those that know how to make it.

On 1/1/2018 at 3:58 PM, bwestbrook36 said:
On 1/1/2018 at 2:09 PM, we_gotta_believe said:

That's not always the case. The Wii U sales were abysmal.

Yes that was miserable but, anything that people knew were good in the past or has promise now people will still buy it. 

On 1/1/2018 at 4:39 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

On 12/31/2018 at 9:51 AM, Plache said:

So I'm about a year late to this thread.  Better late than never I guess 🙂 So over the last month I've picked up the NES, SNES, and PSX Classic consoles.  I've been modding the every loving crap out of them....first I added NES and SNES games to the SNES console and then when I got the NES classic, I put the SNES back to original and divided the hacked games by console....honestly, I remember the NES games more fondly than they maybe really are -- they're ok, but so limited.  SNES on the other hand has so many great games (never mind playing Genesis games on it!!) and PSX also has a loaded library.  The last couple of days I've been youtubing how to hack the PSX Classic and it's really not too hard....so I said all that to ask this:  is anyone else from here hacking the classic consoles?  What hacks are you using, and what games are you adding?  I've been searching hard for a rom of WipEout PSX that will work with emulator already installed, but so far it's been an epic failure (none have worked with the PSX emulation software)....has anyone been able to add this game???

On 1/1/2019 at 2:28 PM, IndianaJones said:

I did the NES one for Christmas gifts, I put about 800 games on there.  I used Hakchi or whatever it was called for it.  Pretty freaking simple and easy.  I also sold 3 of them, so it pretty much paid for the 5 that I gave away at Christmas and the 1 i kept for myself lol

On 8/22/2019 at 2:36 PM, paco said:
On 12/30/2017 at 1:56 PM, paco said:

Of course when I got it I played through a lot of old favorites (Mario Kart, SF2, DKC, Contra3, Mega Man X), then the other night I thought, let's try one I never played before. So I selected earthbound. Had No concept of it. 

Immediate reaction: Oh, it's an RPG <_<

15 minutes in: This is stupid  <_<

I've since logged in 12 hours. :blush:

Update:  So last year I made it to the part where Schmoopie gets kidnapped and I have to go through monkey caves to get an item to rescue her.  But I really wasn't feeling the "Inventory management while going through a maze" vibe.  So I put it down and didn't go back to it.  (In the meantime, I'm about to break the 50 minute barrier (All items except the hadoken) in Mega Man X :unsure:  )

Last week I got an itch and picked it up again.  I'm now at the part where [huge spoilers, so lets just say I have to get my inventory set and level up a bit more before I go after the end boss].  So I'll probably pick up the last required inventory piece and do some grinding next Monday and attempt to beat it Tuesday.  

This is literally the first RPG I have ever played.  I will say I really enjoyed this game and will probably give it another play through in the near future now that I know what I am doing.  But I think it has to do more with the charm of the game, I really do not have any desire to play any others on the classic like Secret Of Mana, which I read is also great.   So if you are an RPG fan, this is a must play.  But if you are like me (more into FPS, Fighting games, etc) and its not your normal wheelhouse, give it a try.  (And use this walkthrough to save you a lot of grief... longplay by people who know what they are doing takes 14 hours)

Edit (8/28):  Beat the game.  Hot tip: Against the final boss, make sure Paula (or in my case, Schmoopie) has the sea or star pendant equipped as well as the Franklin badge.  Once you get past Pokey its next to impossible for her to die vs Giygas.  Everyone else should have a night\sea\star pendant equipped.

On 1/7/2020 at 4:15 PM, paco said:

Schmoopie and I were doing some last minute christmas shopping at the Christiana Mall this year and I saw something that made my blood boil.  There were 2 kiosks in the mall selling this:

61ziGl2CB1L._AC_.jpg

My eyes saw a tiny SNES and "821" games.  Could it be.... a SNES mini with the entire library????

Upon closer inspection it says "821 8-bit games".  Its a cheap rip off that has nothing but knock off games.  This video sums it up perfectly:

1) Barely works...have to unplug the HDMI cable half the time to get it turn on

2) No SNES games, just 8 bit hacks (and a few NES games that probably arnt legal on this device.... just a hunch)

3) Family friendly game like "Blackman 2" (A SMB2 hack where you run around and take out KKK members) and "D*** Kids" (A McKids hack where the children are naked and Ronald McDonald has a major hard on)

On 1/8/2020 at 5:29 PM, bwestbrook36 said:

I don't know what you are talking about that looks amazing lol

On 1/9/2020 at 9:42 AM, jrsu37 said:

So much simpler, more agile, and reliable to just load an old Wii or a Raspberry Pi with all the system emulators, then load them up with roms at your leisure. 

I'll be sitting on the couch thinking of a game I used to play when I was a kid, and within 5min I'm playing it. 

On 1/10/2020 at 11:12 AM, jrsu37 said:

And if you can't do it yourself, they are out there pretty cheap

Raspberry gaming system

On 1/10/2020 at 12:01 PM, paco said:

You just answered my unposted question.   Having a "SNES" with all the games would be boner jamz.  And if it has NES, extra bonus.  I did a no death run in Contra when I was kid, curious if I could pull it off again.  

On 1/10/2020 at 12:34 PM, we_gotta_believe said:
On 1/9/2020 at 9:42 AM, jrsu37 said:

So much simpler, more agile, and reliable to just load an old Wii or a Raspberry Pi with all the system emulators, then load them up with roms at your leisure. 

I'll be sitting on the couch thinking of a game I used to play when I was a kid, and within 5min I'm playing it. 

^This. Back in college, I had every rom for NES, SNES, and Genesis on a laptop that I would connect to our main TV to play anything we ever wanted. Used cheap PC gamepads before switching to xbox 360 controllers once those came out. 

On 1/10/2020 at 1:25 PM, jrsu37 said:
On 1/10/2020 at 12:01 PM, paco said:

You just answered my unposted question.   Having a "SNES" with all the games would be boner jamz.  And if it has NES, extra bonus.  I did a no death run in Contra when I was kid, curious if I could pull it off again.  

The Contra code still works on the roms too fyi...Just tried it out 5min ago. I'm currently playing through all the Castlevania games...On 3 now. The NES ones are way too difficult. 

Did original Zelda last week, and Zelda 2. I just love going back and playing the old games on a whim. Final Fantasy 3 on SNES, and Goonies II on NES are my usual go to time sinks.

Also worth noting...There are sites that put out updated ROMS for Tecmo Super Bowl and NBA Jam with updated rosters. Although the most recent NBA Jam one is annoying. It's got Harris, Horford and Embiid, but no Ben. Like, Defuq? Why would you do that? 

Anyway, if you decide to get into it feel free to ask for sources for roms, or ask questions. 

On 1/10/2020 at 2:05 PM, paco said:

Thanks man. I could see myself in the future doing it since I’m on the road and it’s portable. And there are a ton of great games I never played. 

for example, I can pretty much speed run Mega Man X (51 minutes for all items, sans Hadokin is my best time), but that’s the only one I’ve ever played. So I would like to go on a binge and play/beat each one in order after that

On 1/10/2020 at 2:31 PM, jrsu37 said:

Mega Man II is in my top 5 all-time. F'ing love that game. I have X, but IDK if I've ever completed it. May try that one next.

On 1/11/2020 at 3:08 PM, Agent23 said:

@jrsu37 I’m sure you’ve known this for a minute but I didn’t realize they sold computer-compatible controllers that looked like the old style ones!

4F685F8E-1FE1-48BE-8800-63DF5B8F28E4.jpeg

On 1/11/2020 at 10:02 PM, Agent23 said:

@paco is this a fair price for you?

F95C6D2F-289F-42D6-ABD2-0DCC7ACFC9A6.png

On 1/12/2020 at 9:54 AM, paco said:

Technically, my old SNES still exists and is theoretically accessible.  I gave it to my one buddy for his one rental property in Silverthorne CO. 

On 1/12/2020 at 9:57 AM, paco said:

This game existed.  And I played it.   I have no idea how it came into my possession   :unsure: 

I always OD'd my kid on insulin :lol: 

On 1/13/2020 at 9:33 AM, jrsu37 said:
On 1/11/2020 at 3:08 PM, Agent23 said:

@jrsu37 I’m sure you’ve known this for a minute but I didn’t realize they sold computer-compatible controllers that looked like the old style ones!

4F685F8E-1FE1-48BE-8800-63DF5B8F28E4.jpeg

Hell yeah got 4 NES, and 2 SNES ones...When my group used to love above Murphy's Bleachers across from Wrigley, we would throw Mario up on the side of our building via projector, and play all night. Pulled a LOT of passerbys into our place to play. Was a great way to meet people...And yes, lots of hotties. that NES projected on the side of the building was a chick magnet in that hood. Ahhhh the good ole days.

On 1/13/2020 at 3:26 PM, paco said:

Raspberry gaming system

Since I'm a dummy..... does that include everything to run it down to the executable, or is it just the roms and a Raspberry code base

On 1/14/2020 at 9:37 AM, jrsu37 said:

It's got a UI and everything...Just plug and play. All you'll need is a couple of controllers which are easy to find. 

On 1/14/2020 at 10:03 AM, Agent23 said:
On 1/13/2020 at 9:33 AM, jrsu37 said:

Hell yeah got 4 NES, and 2 SNES ones...When my group used to love above Murphy's Bleachers across from Wrigley, we would throw Mario up on the side of our building via projector, and play all night. Pulled a LOT of passerbys into our place to play. Was a great way to meet people...And yes, lots of hotties. that NES projected on the side of the building was a chick magnet in that hood. Ahhhh the good ole days.

What would be my way to get access to all the games, and the interface to play them. Can it be done through my television? 

On 1/14/2020 at 3:16 PM, jrsu37 said:

Not sure about running one via the smart TV interface...I know you couldn't a few years ago, but hell I have them on my Samsung phone so It SHOULD be possible if your TV has Android OS on it. In the Play Store they have emulators like JohnNES and JohnSNES...Or I believe RetroArch has like 7 emulators included...I like John emulators the best.

There are a few diff ways though. There are websites where you can just stream and play the games, or you could get one of the Raspberry PI thinggies I mentioned above, or if you can get your hands on an old Wii it takes about 5-10min to set up. Homebrew Wii Install

After you install the channel, and all the emulators that go with it, you can find roms anywhere on the web. emuparadice is a great site for them.

The Raspberry option is prob the cheapest, and best due to the UI being so refined, and them already being loaded with roms...After all that, I'm not sure if I answered your questions lol.

On 1/14/2020 at 4:13 PM, Agent23 said:

Does the Raspberry thing connect to the television? I remember downloading random emulators in college when I was much smarter with computers and playing any of the old titles on the PC with the keyboard. But I'm older and lazy now and want to accomplish this from my couch, with a handheld controller, on the QLED. 

On 1/14/2020 at 4:20 PM, jrsu37 said:

Yep HDMI bruv.

On 1/14/2020 at 4:56 PM, Agent23 said:

If I get paid in this next week or so I'll hit you up on ways to spend my money on random ish like this that I don't need!

On 1/14/2020 at 4:59 PM, jrsu37 said:

Lol totally...I get these lil weird projects all the time.

On 1/14/2020 at 5:13 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Raspberry gaming system

$60? Just buy a Raspberry Pi Zero (or Zero W) and do it yourself. The Zero is about $5 or $6, the W is $10. Then maybe $10 (or less) for a case and power supply.

On 1/14/2020 at 5:20 PM, jrsu37 said:

1. I wasn't looking for the cheapest, I just grabbed  a link to one as an example.

2. The point was ease of use and set up. Your option defeats the purpose as it's far from plug and play.

3. You can also do what VaBE said if you're so inclined. I wasn't aware that $50 was so much money to "waste." My apologies.

On 1/14/2020 at 5:36 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

That link is for a Pi 3, which I would assume includes a case and power supply, which you can find for somewhere between $50 and $60. So in that regard, it's probably an 'average' price for the hardware. I use a Pi 2 as my media center, but have been thinking about upgrading to the Pi 4. The only reason that I haven't, is because my Pi 2 is really all I need. Upgrading would be pointless, other than to have a new 'toy' to play around with.

As for your #2 point, it's very easy to set up, even for a person who might not be a tech savvy person.

As for "wasting" $50, or saying that $50 was "so much money to waste", I'll have to double check but I don't think I used the word 'Waste' in my post... (double checking...). Nope, didn't use that word/description. If someone wants to just spend the money and not do it themselves, then great, buy it and be done. I was simply pointing out that a Zero W (or v1.3) are fairly inexpensive and setting one up to play old NES games (or whatever your fancy is), isn't really rocket science. A 10 year old could do it in mere minutes.

Now, the W or 1.3 may not be strong enough to emulate some of the more complex games, I don't know. I haven't done it with one those two SBC's. I have done it on my Pi 2, and fiddled around with that a little before getting bored and moving on.

On 1/14/2020 at 5:39 PM, jrsu37 said:

Actually...Sorry. My post sounded ****canoey, and I'm an A hole for it.

I'm in this effing meeting that's boring af, and I'm irritated, and I apparently took it out on that post. 

I didn't mean to be combative. You can kick me in the nuts if you want.

On 1/14/2020 at 5:48 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

It's all good. I didn't really take it that way.

I'm very much a 'diy' kind of person. Not for money saving, but for the fun of a project.

I have a Zero W sitting here on my desk that I haven't done anything with, I may set up a RetroPie, just to mess around with it. After watching the video below, I see that my PS3 controller will pair with it and work on the games. That way, I don't have to use my little mini-keyboard, which sucks for playing games.

On 1/15/2020 at 8:40 AM, Agent23 said:

Raspberry gaming system

I didn't notice this until seeing it quoted in the most recent responses, but its funny that Crisis Core is shown in their screenshots after I just referenced it in the FF7 thread!

I think for something that's a nice turnkey purchase to "plug and play" as they say may be what I do here in the next week or two. Those Portable games (note: not many of value) are borderline impossible to play now. I don't think they every ported them to the PSN store to download and play through PS3 or PS4 did they? Closest I can recall is that there were a few God of War portable games (the name Chains of Olympus come to mind?) that I think they ported over onto a PS2 or PS3 disk when they were doing those compilation re-releases back when.

For example: Golden Compass is the only Uncharted game I haven't played (unless they made more than one portable?) and it makes me sadness because I love those stories. 

On 1/15/2020 at 9:40 AM, jrsu37 said:

Dude I never even knew this was a game! I'm now researching it, and I'll report back on finding a rom for it, and getting it to work. WTF @ me for not knowing about an Uncharted game as I'd consider myself one of the biggest Naughty Dog Stans out there.

I never owned any of the portable systems...Not that I was against them, I just never got into them.

On 1/15/2020 at 10:28 AM, Agent23 said:

I think I've bought each of the playstation ones.. and maybe played one game on each.

I got some GameStop gift cards when I was living in Boston... maybe for my B-day (August). It would have been 2012, and Gamestop was selling an Assassin's Creed PSP bundle (white) that came with a PSP full-fledged game. I purchased that on some black friday sale, plus a copy of Golden Compass, but I never played either more than an hour or two.

Situation of no way am I playing a handheld sitting around my house, and my work commute is 100% me behind the wheel of a car, so I'm not killing time on a train or bus daily, so it just sat and collected dust. 

On 1/15/2020 at 12:37 PM, we_gotta_believe said:
On 1/14/2020 at 5:13 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

$60? Just buy a Raspberry Pi Zero (or Zero W) and do it yourself. The Zero is about $5 or $6, the W is $10. Then maybe $10 (or less) for a case and power supply.

Not sure a base Pi Zero makes the most sense for this use case, so it has to be a Pi Zero W to be able to use a wireless controller. Also, a decent case and power supply is gonna run more than $10 for both. And as jru mentioned, there's the time required to be able to install the image and configure the emulators. So in essence, sure you could save some money with a DIY project, but it's obviously going to depend on the capability of the user. For most, I'd imagine, doing something like this from scratch would seem daunting.

On 1/15/2020 at 12:39 PM, we_gotta_believe said:

You might want to make sure you read the fine print on whatever you're buying though. The link jru sent you was just for the sd-card I believe, not the actual hardware. The seller is basically offering up his services of installing the image on the card with everything configured and ready to go. If you want something truly turnkey that can be played literally right out of the box, you will probably want to look elsewhere.

On 1/15/2020 at 12:41 PM, we_gotta_believe said:
On 1/14/2020 at 5:36 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

That link is for a Pi 3, which I would assume includes a case and power supply, which you can find for somewhere between $50 and $60. So in that regard, it's probably an 'average' price for the hardware. I use a Pi 2 as my media center, but have been thinking about upgrading to the Pi 4. The only reason that I haven't, is because my Pi 2 is really all I need. Upgrading would be pointless, other than to have a new 'toy' to play around with.

As for your #2 point, it's very easy to set up, even for a person who might not be a tech savvy person.

As for "wasting" $50, or saying that $50 was "so much money to waste", I'll have to double check but I don't think I used the word 'Waste' in my post... (double checking...). Nope, didn't use that word/description. If someone wants to just spend the money and not do it themselves, then great, buy it and be done. I was simply pointing out that a Zero W (or v1.3) are fairly inexpensive and setting one up to play old NES games (or whatever your fancy is), isn't really rocket science. A 10 year old could do it in mere minutes.

Now, the W or 1.3 may not be strong enough to emulate some of the more complex games, I don't know. I haven't done it with one those two SBC's. I have done it on my Pi 2, and fiddled around with that a little before getting bored and moving on.

If we're all talking about the same link here, that's just for the card with an image pre-loaded. There is no Pi hardware for sale.

This is for a 128GB Micro SD Card for the Raspberry Pi 3 & 3B+
Only the SD Card!

On 1/15/2020 at 2:48 PM, Agent23 said:

This whole thing got so much more confusing. So people just selling SD cards now?!? 

On 1/15/2020 at 7:16 PM, bwestbrook36 said:
On 1/15/2020 at 12:39 PM, we_gotta_believe said:

You might want to make sure you read the fine print on whatever you're buying though. The link jru sent you was just for the sd-card I believe, not the actual hardware. The seller is basically offering up his services of installing the image on the card with everything configured and ready to go. If you want something truly turnkey that can be played literally right out of the box, you will probably want to look elsewhere.

He does have other items that come with the hardware as well. He has that one PC type system that comes with the hard ware to play it on and has 14,000 games installed on it

On 1/16/2020 at 9:36 AM, we_gotta_believe said:

I just looked at that particular link, and wanted to make sure he read the fine print to avoid any surprises.

On 1/16/2020 at 3:32 PM, jrsu37 said:

Yeah this is good advice...ALWAYS read the fine print. 

On 1/17/2020 at 10:39 PM, paco said:

Glad this convo happened. I literally thought I could pop the card in a reader, plug a controller into a USB port and call it a day.  I’ve never looked into this stuff so I’ma dummy

On 1/18/2020 at 2:45 PM, Agent23 said:

Samsies

On 1/18/2020 at 3:45 PM, paco said:

No need to kick me while I'm down.

On 1/18/2020 at 9:00 PM, Agent23 said:

Good thing for you is I don’t have that much leverage kicking from my back so they can’t hurt that much! 

On 1/22/2020 at 9:42 AM, jrsu37 said:

@paco Complete set up ones are easy to find though...My apologies for posting that one. As stated, I just googled Raspberry PI Emulator, and picked the first result that didn't look sketchy.

On 2/17/2020 at 8:24 PM, OCEaglefan said:

I beat mega man x yesterday I started Saturday. Had never actually finished it.

so young OC asks if he can play it today. I told him go for it. He was crying after about 30 minutes about how unfair old games are

On 2/17/2020 at 8:36 PM, paco said:

Ill live stream me beating it in under 55 minutes for him if you want me to show him how its done :lol:

On 2/18/2020 at 12:34 AM, OCEaglefan said:

Including Hadouken?

On 2/18/2020 at 6:55 AM, paco said:
On 2/18/2020 at 12:34 AM, OCEaglefan said:

Including Hadouken?

On 1/10/2020 at 2:05 PM, paco said:

for example, I can pretty much speed run Mega Man X (51 minutes for all items, sans Hadokin is my best time), but that’s the only one I’ve ever played. So I would like to go on a binge and play/beat each one in order after that

It would be close.  I never timed myself with Hadouken, so I might be able to get it under 55.  But definitely under 60. You can get to the end of that level pretty fast

On 2/19/2020 at 1:53 AM, OCEaglefan said:

DKC is next 

On 2/22/2020 at 5:48 PM, paco said:

Have you beat that before?

Reveal hidden contents

First time I remember being trolled by a video game

On 2/22/2020 at 5:54 PM, paco said:

My ocd\borderline autism has me playing the same few games.  I think I need to either beat a game that I have not beaten before (either as a child or an adult) or play something new all together.  Looking at the list, apparently there is a shameful number of classic's I never tried.  

Given the list below, which should I play (and maybe beat) next?

Have not played
Final Fantasy 
Kirby Super Star
Kirby's Dream Course    
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Secret of Mana
Star Fox 2
Super Castlevania IV    
Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts
Super Mario RPG
Super Metroid
Super Punch-Out!!    
Yoshi's Island

On 2/22/2020 at 11:56 PM, Agent23 said:

I’ve played final fantasy and secret of mana on that list. Started mana a dozen different times but never played all the way through. 

ff1 I just recall it be programmed that if you had 5 enemies on screen, and all 4 characters "attack” the same character... when he dies, anyone who was supposed to attack him just attacks the empty space where they once stood. Super frustrating. I think when they made a PS1 classics version of that game they gave a modified difficulty version where your characters would then attack any remaining enemies left on screen. 

On 2/23/2020 at 10:41 AM, OCEaglefan said:

My ocd\borderline autism has me playing the same few games.  I think I need to either beat a game that I have not beaten before (either as a child or an adult) or play something new all together.  Looking at the list, apparently there is a shameful number of classic's I never tried.  

Have not played
Final Fantasy 
Kirby Super Star
Kirby's Dream Course    
Secret of Mana
Star Fox 2
Super Castlevania IV    
Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts
Super Mario RPG
Super Metroid
Super Punch-Out!!    
Yoshi's Island

Watch a video on YouTube of people speed playing SGG and then you can just cross that one off. Ludicrous 

On 2/22/2020 at 5:48 PM, paco said:

Have you beat that before?

Reveal hidden contents

First time I remember being trolled by a video game

I have not 

On 2/23/2020 at 7:03 PM, Agent23 said:

Re-reading through I think I remember ghosts and ghouls at my neighbors house. Game was flames! 

On 2/24/2020 at 8:32 PM, paco said:

Watch a video on YouTube of people speed playing SGG and then you can just cross that one off. Ludicrous 

I am well aware it’s one of the hardest games of all time.  And you have to beat it twice for the real ending?  Go f yourself.  :lol: 

I have not 

Enjoy. The game is beatable. Try not to rage quit the mine cart level. You just need to keep at it and get into a zone

On 2/24/2020 at 8:34 PM, paco said:

SGG is near the bottom, if not the bottom, of the list for me. Really have no interest in it

On 2/25/2020 at 5:02 AM, Mat said:

I'm assuming you guys are talking about Donkey Kong Country. I was a beast at that game

On 2/25/2020 at 8:19 AM, Agent23 said:

you were def beast at getting donkey punched 

On 2/25/2020 at 9:09 AM, paco said:

My buddy and I worked at it every day one summer until we beat it.  After that I don't think I picked it up again. 

Great game, just never felt the need to replay it. 

On 2/25/2020 at 10:19 AM, Mat said:
On 2/25/2020 at 8:19 AM, Agent23 said:

you were def beast at getting donkey punched 

Things I said to your mother last night for 100 Alex?

On 2/25/2020 at 9:09 AM, paco said:

My buddy and I worked at it every day one summer until we beat it.  After that I don't think I picked it up again. 

Great game, just never felt the need to replay it. 

I think I completed it in under 90 minutes 'game time'. That wasn't 100%, but through to the last boss battle 

On 2/25/2020 at 10:24 AM, paco said:

That's nuts.  It's definitely a game that's hard to speed through.  

On 2/25/2020 at 1:24 PM, Dawkins 20 said:

On the NES Classic side, I forgot how addicting Dr. Mario is.

On 3/2/2020 at 10:46 AM, jrsu37 said:

Have not played
Final Fantasy 
Kirby Super Star
Kirby's Dream Course    
Secret of Mana
Star Fox 2
Super Castlevania IV    
Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts
Super Mario RPG
Super Metroid
Super Punch-Out!!    
Yoshi's Island

Dude...Not playing A Link to the Past, and Super Metroid is f'ed up. Play those now.

On 3/3/2020 at 3:14 PM, paco said:

This will really piss you off then:

I have never played a single Zelda or Metroid game.  Ever.

(The only thing that could be worse is saying "The only Zelda game I have ever played is the zelda trilogy on CDi")

Reveal hidden contents

On 3/3/2020 at 3:18 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Neither have I.

On 3/3/2020 at 3:33 PM, jrsu37 said:
On 3/3/2020 at 3:14 PM, paco said:

This will really piss you off then:

I have never played a single Zelda or Metroid game.  Ever.

(The only thing that could be worse is saying "The only Zelda game I have ever played is the zelda trilogy on CDi")

Reveal hidden contents

Zelda, A Link to the Past are the only ones I really, really enjoyed out of that franchise. For Metroid, again, just Metroid and Super Metroid are uber awesome IMO. 

On 3/3/2020 at 3:40 PM, paco said:

I was looking for Zelda CDi gifs and this popped up.

Li3F3F.gif

:unsure: 

On 3/6/2020 at 12:39 AM, OCEaglefan said:
On 2/25/2020 at 1:24 PM, Dawkins 20 said:

On the NES Classic side, I forgot how addicting Dr. Mario is.

Download the mobile version. Genuinely fun 

That ice world in DK sucked onto the next one 

On 3/6/2020 at 2:23 PM, paco said:

Get to the mine carts yet :devil:

On 3/6/2020 at 4:13 PM, OCEaglefan said:

Is there a second mine cart level? I did the one in world 2

On 3/6/2020 at 9:05 PM, paco said:

I dont remember, but if you did it, you'd know it

Edit: nope, you havent played that one yet :devil:

On 3/9/2020 at 9:48 AM, Mat said:

On my play through again I'd forgotten a bunch of stuff. There is one ice stage with a bunch of  barrels and ish. You can actually miss one, land in a hidden one and bypass most of that ishy level. 

On 3/20/2020 at 11:13 AM, paco said:

I have not fired up my SNES classic since I've been off the road.  

On 3/25/2020 at 12:53 PM, OCEaglefan said:

I’ve got the sudden urge to do Castlevania IV

On 3/25/2020 at 6:45 PM, paco said:

Let me know how you like it.  I never played it. Seems slow

On 3/25/2020 at 8:15 PM, OCEaglefan said:

Castlevania games are notorious for being difficult. Other than renting it as a kid I’ve never played it. Mostly a remake of the original I believe. (Story wise)

On 3/27/2020 at 10:04 AM, jrsu37 said:

As a huge Castlevania fan who plays them all still from time to time, III, Bloodlines and Symphony of the Night are the best.

III being my personal fav.

On 3/27/2020 at 1:53 PM, paco said:

As one of like 5 people that owned a Turbografx 16, I was aware of Rondo of Blood.  I heard it was pretty damn good.

On 3/31/2020 at 2:08 PM, OCEaglefan said:

Rondo is supposedly the superior version of Dracula X from SNES

speaking of, they released a port of Symphony of the night on iOS for 2.99

purests say it’s the "correct” version in the reviews but criticized the touch controls. I’m using a nimbus controller and an iPad and am having a great time switching off with my son. It’s my first real play through 

On 3/31/2020 at 8:43 PM, paco said:

Looking at the Turbografx 16 mini game list I was thinking to myself "What was that one beat em up that I never completed".  I remember it being a better version of Kung Fu for NES.

Well, I guess my memory was a bit fuzzy, because watching this play through its both meh and SHORT

Your Sinclair summarized the game as "Pretty standard beat 'em up. You've probably seen it all before, so only buy if you're addicted to the genre and you've already got the better ones.".  :lol: 

• 2 weeks later...

Checking in 

My son announced yesterday that SNES Metroid was now his game and I’d have to wait to play until he beat it 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OCEaglefan said:

Checking in 

My son announced yesterday that SNES Metroid was now his game and I’d have to wait to play until he beat it 

I've never finished that game, but have played it soooooo much.

• 3 weeks later...

I just found out yesterday that with the Switch online subscription they give you free access to a Netflix style library of old NES and SNES titles. I think it's pretty limited at the moment but I found it interesting.

I need to hook all my consoles up in my room. I have the NES, SNES, Sega, PS minis along with my actual full size ones but I've run out of plugs on my powerboards and HDMI. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mat said:

I just found out yesterday that with the Switch online subscription they give you free access to a Netflix style library of old NES and SNES titles. I think it's pretty limited at the moment but I found it interesting.

I need to hook all my consoles up in my room. I have the NES, SNES, Sega, PS minis along with my actual full size ones but I've run out of plugs on my powerboards and HDMI. 

I was unemployed in 2014 and bored and bought a Wii U bundle that came with Mario Kart 8. Allowed me to transfer all my NES, SNES, and N64 titles from my old Wii onto it. I played it for a couple weeks, mainly playing those old classics (I think the console also plays the small handful of Wii-era game discs too).

I moved summer 2014 to CT and packed the Wii U back up in it's box....I'm not sure if I have touched/played that console at all since then. At this point I figure you probably can't get more than $100 selling that/games/accessories used, so its worth just holding on to in case I want to revisit those classics I already have saved on there.

I think they shut down that store when they made the move to the Switch or created a new store? I went looking for a bunch of those old games when I had Nintendo dollars to spend and found nothing