Mr. Lurie- YOU Allowed This To Happen

Talonblood

8 hours ago, QBhunter58 said:

I like How you capITalized THings that you rEally want to stRESs. LauriE made a misTake By giving Howie too mUch conTrol over This team. SOme major chaNges need to be mAde at all levels. We NeeD to start By seLling Off our aging assets and enter next draft WITh a real GM. I hestitate to pUt all the blame at Lauries feet, but he is one Part of why we are here.

Glad you like it. Now maybe you can learn how to put an actual sentence together. I didn't write about Laurie 😂, **** bag, I wrote about the owner, Lurie. Hestitate?🤣 Really? If you want to try to bust on somebody's post, make sure you know how to spell the owners name and how to spell  hesitate 1st, skippy. Congrats on showing your stupidity. 😆

8 hours ago, flyerdog said:

there has been debate about why we did not select Metcalf and why we took JJ instead....after reading both scouting reports, the main thing I take away is that JJ was touted as a better route runner...whereas this trait was listed as one of Metcalf's weaknesses....and this seems to be a theme with Eagles drafts...they hone in on one or two parameters and disregard others...and I think this is a problem with having a so called "system" and trying to find players who fit that system...IMO this is a very outdated model...it might have worked for Bill Walsh back in the day...but today most offenses are some form of hybrid anyway...a mix of finesse with smash mouth with trickery etc...

as such if you are stuck adhering to ONE model , you are potentially missing out on great players because you couldn't look past your own restrictions....
Someone like Bill B. finds a way to use players that have different traits and skill sets....in short he tailors his offense to the strengths and variables of his players...Until Lurie is willing to find a GM and coach who thinks along a similar vein...it will be more of the same....

I also think that this mess is also a case of the "Smartest Man in the room" syndrome...wherein Howie thinks that he knows better than a guy who is in the trenches...and I wonder....WHO picked Wentz?

was It Howie

was it Doug?

Howie/Lurie clearly didn't want another power struggle like they did with Chip...enter: Doug, who probably took the job, because he had no other offers and was probably the only one willing to succumb to Howie's whims, since he had no bargaining position...

It makes me wonder what we might see if Howie was not in the picture, but Doug remained....

Whiteside is a horrible route runner

9 hours ago, jsdarkstar said:

Yep. Lurie's at fault for allowing Howie (Prior GM of the Year) to build a SB Team, Hire a head coach that won a SB and draft players and obtain free agents, that helped them win a SB. But now that they suck, it's Lurie's fault for allowing it to happen. Got it.

Have a hard time reading? The horrible changes I mentioned were made after the Super Bowl, and those are the points I made. You enjoy watching the garbage they have created now? That's fine. I don't.

Lurie did this:  Quarterbacks coach Press Taylor is the pass-game coordinator. Offensive line coach Jeff Stoutland is the run-game coordinator. Running backs coach Duce Staley is the assistant head coach. Rich Scangerello is the senior offensive assistant. Marty Mornhinweg is the senior offensive consultant. Andrew Breiner is the pass-game analyst.

You can like that garbage all you want. He destroyed that Super Bowl team over night. 

7 hours ago, QBhunter58 said:

Old news, but well stated. They try to find guys that fit a particular role in their scheme. While it is important to consider scheme when drafting, you also want to prioritize talent and BPA. I really like how you mentioned Bellichick, because he has been really good at doing this over the years. He works with what he has got, and he does a really good job at choosing "football players".

When considering personnel, versatility and potential cannot be overlooked. Just like in any job, there are going to be guys who are elite at one or two things, and if those things are valued they will do well. But there is a large group of other people who do many things well, or have untapped potential (but all the tools). These are the employees who usually stick around for a while, because you can fit them in anywhere. DK had lots of the tools but was inexperienced and had an injury history, that is why he lasted so long. Keying in on these types of guys is what makes and breaks teams especially in the later rounds. Pick any draft year and I can give you the names... In a redraft is there any doubt that guys like Eddie Jackson, George Kittle, Danielle Hunter, etc. would not be top 15 picks. I will give the eagles scouting team a little credit though, I think picks like Mailata (in 7th), Sweat (4), and even Taylor this year (3rd) are exactly the type of pick which considers tools, potential, and versatility. 

Bill's drafts have been almost as bad as Howie's

It may be time for Lurie to sell the team to an owner who knows and cares about football. Lurie seems as lost as the rest of the front office.

10 hours ago, Talonblood said:

It starts at the top. Mr. Lurie is acting all upset with OTHERS, but is he looking at HIMSELF?

Mr. Lurie has no reason to look at the team and be disgusted. HE ALLOWED this, with the Committee OF 25 Offensive (really offensive, as it turns out) spies. That is what this is. They have all these rats running back reporting all the bad things they see, instead of trying to fix it. How can anyone work under those conditions? Talk about micro managing. You think Morningwiggy would say nice things about Doug, when he himself WANTS the job? Or any other committee of 25 rat? What the hell was Lurie thinking?? HE is at fault, along with Howie for agreeing to this committee of 25. There are way more issues than this, but this one of the largest problems- just look at the offense.

Lurie is acting all upset, like HE isn't at the root of this fiasco. Guess what, Jeff? YOU allowed this mess, and you let Howie do whatever he wanted. Look at YOUR mess and figure it out. Admit YOU screwed up and don't blame ANYONE other than YOURSELF.

Discuss.

Couldn't disagree more. We were only two years removed from this GM and coach bringing the first SB to Philly. They also made the playoffs the two seasons following. Any rational owner would have trusted the guys put in place to make the organization and team a success and stayed out of the football side of things. IF he doesn't take massive and swift action once the season ends then I will agree he is part of the problem. Blaming him now is utterly stupid though. This is ALL on Howie, Doug, and Wentz.

6 hours ago, jsdarkstar said:

Yep. Lurie's at fault for allowing Howie (Prior GM of the Year) to build a SB Team, Hire a head coach that won a SB and draft players and obtain free agents, that helped them win a SB. But now that they suck, it's Lurie's fault for allowing it to happen. Got it.

Yep, it's a completely asinine point/thread.

• Like 3

Just to be clear, none of the good moves that Lurie has made were initially embraced by the fans. Fans were angry when he hired Reid, angry when Reid drafted Donovan, angry when he hired Doug. Joe Banner was this and that, Howie's this and that. But Lurie succeeded by not listening to the fans. 

Now, I'm afraid, he's listening to the fans. He got that rush of affection after the Super Bowl, and he's been chasing it. He's got to tell us to go screw ourselves and get back to using his own judgment. 

3 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

Please don't go there...those fans who remember are still a little damaged. He was the Owner who said on local tv, that he has no interest in winning championships ever, and only owns the team to make money. Ah, the good old days...<_<

One of the basic problems we have now is that there is an entire generation of fans that learned to take 9-7 for granted as the floor for a football team. They expect everything to be easy, and their heads explode when things are hard. 

Basically, Lurie is being haunted by two decades of success. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, wyote said:

Just to be clear, none of the good moves that Lurie has made were initially embraced by the fans. Fans were angry when he hired Reid, angry when Reid drafted Donovan, angry when he hired Doug. Joe Banner was this and that, Howie's this and that. But Lurie succeeded by not listening to the fans. 

Now, I'm afraid, he's listening to the fans. He got that rush of affection after the Super Bowl, and he's been chasing it. He's got to tell us to go screw ourselves and get back to using his own judgment. 

I'm fine with this as long as it pertains to the draft.  If he listened to the fans the past 3 years, our drafts would have been better than Howie's.  I truly believe that.  Fight me.  😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, T-1000 said:

Couldn't disagree more. We were only two years removed from this GM and coach bringing the first SB to Philly. They also made the playoffs the two seasons following. Any rational owner would have trusted the guys put in place to make the organization and team a success and stayed out of the football side of things. IF he doesn't take massive and swift action once the season ends then I will agree he is part of the problem. Blaming him now is utterly stupid though. This is ALL on Howie, Doug, and Wentz.

Utterly stupid? If you think he wasn't involved in forming the committee of 25 that has destroyed this offense and other negative decisions, that is utterly stupid. Lurie is meddling too much these days, then wants to receive no blame for his part in this? No, this guy helped screw this team up and needs to correct all his mistakes 1st, then the GM, and on down the line.

2 hours ago, T-1000 said:

Yep, it's a completely asinine point/thread.

Because you have your head up your a**. He helped to create this mess:

Quarterbacks coach Press Taylor is the pass-game coordinator. Offensive line coach Jeff Stoutland is the run-game coordinator. Running backs coach Duce Staley is the assistant head coach. Rich Scangerello is the senior offensive assistant. Marty Mornhinweg is the senior offensive consultant. Andrew Breiner is the pass-game analyst.

Hug his balls all you want, he helped destroy that Super Bowl team right away. The new norm is being one of the worse teams in football 3 years after that Super Bowl. So go ahead and live in the past. You sound like a Cowboys fan.

9 hours ago, XoqTionR said:

Letting the bean counter run a football team is main issue. He don't know football just numbers. Need to throw the analytics out the window too.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with the analytics stuff bud. Analytics absolutely has a place but it needs to be applied in the right way and at the right time. Sometimes common sense should prevail. 

13 hours ago, Talonblood said:

Glad you like it. Now maybe you can learn how to put an actual sentence together. I didn't write about Laurie 😂, **** bag, I wrote about the owner, Lurie. Hestitate?🤣 Really? If you want to try to bust on somebody's post, make sure you know how to spell the owners name and how to spell  hesitate 1st, skippy. Congrats on showing your stupidity. 😆

I think you completely missed the point of my post, because I am pretty sure I agreed with your premise. I do apologize for not editing my work before submitting it, as I failed to realize that it was a graded assignment. I had no problem with you capitalizing important words; I often do the same thing to make a point. I decided to put a little twist on it by embedding a message within my post, which no one picked up on. That's fine, everyone's brain works differently...

Perhaps the next time you decide to comb through the details of someone else's post, try not to miss the bolded message which is right under your nose. A message, which actually aligns with your original argument. Also, it is difficult to see what words you have spelled wrong when essentially every other word has a red squiggly line under it because you are capitalizing seemingly random letters.

I like How you capITalized THings that you rEally want to stRESs. LuriE made a misTake By giving Howie too mUch conTrol over This team. SOme major chaNges need to be mAde at all levels. We NeeD to start By seLling Off our aging assets and enter next draft WITh a real GM. I hesitate to pUt all the blame at Lurie's feet, but he is one Part of why we are here.

I have corrected the errors, why dont you take another shot at it, skippy?

1 minute ago, QBhunter58 said:

I think you completely missed the point of my post, because I am pretty sure I agreed with your premise. I do apologize for not editing my work before submitting it, as I failed to realize that it was a graded assignment. I had no problem with you capitalizing important words; I often do the same thing to make a point. I decided to put a little twist on it by embedding a message within my post, which no one picked up on. That's fine, everyone's brain works differently...

Perhaps the next time you decide to comb through the details of someone else's post, try not to miss the bolded message which is right under your nose. A message, which actually aligns with your original argument. Also, it is difficult to see what words you have spelled wrong when essentially every other word has a red squiggly line under it because you are capitalizing seemingly random letters.

I like How you capITalized THings that you rEally want to stRESs. LuriE made a misTake By giving Howie too mUch conTrol over This team. SOme major chaNges need to be mAde at all levels. We NeeD to start By seLling Off our aging assets and enter next draft WITh a real GM. I hesitate to pUt all the blame at Lurie's feet, but he is one Part of why we are here.

I have corrected the errors, why dont you take another shot at it, skippy?

I didn't have to "comb through your post." It was glaring right from the get go. 🤣 Your post was kind of funny, though.

Just now, Talonblood said:

I didn't have to "comb through your post." It was glaring right from the get go. 🤣 Your post was kind of funny, though.

That's fair, I will take it 😉

• Like 1

23 hours ago, QBhunter58 said:

Old news, but well stated. They try to find guys that fit a particular role in their scheme. While it is important to consider scheme when drafting, you also want to prioritize talent and BPA. I really like how you mentioned Bellichick, because he has been really good at doing this over the years. He works with what he has got, and he does a really good job at choosing "football players".

When considering personnel, versatility and potential cannot be overlooked. Just like in any job, there are going to be guys who are elite at one or two things, and if those things are valued they will do well. But there is a large group of other people who do many things well, or have untapped potential (but all the tools). These are the employees who usually stick around for a while, because you can fit them in anywhere. DK had lots of the tools but was inexperienced and had an injury history, that is why he lasted so long. Keying in on these types of guys is what makes and breaks teams especially in the later rounds. Pick any draft year and I can give you the names... In a redraft is there any doubt that guys like Eddie Jackson, George Kittle, Danielle Hunter, etc. would not be top 15 picks. I will give the eagles scouting team a little credit though, I think picks like Mailata (in 7th), Sweat (4), and even Taylor this year (3rd) are exactly the type of pick which considers tools, potential, and versatility. 

Howie's methods do seem to be almost the polar opposite of Joe Banner's methods when he was here....Howie seems more like Dan Snyder/Al Davis used to be

16 hours ago, Talonblood said:

Because you have your head up your a**. He helped to create this mess:

Quarterbacks coach Press Taylor is the pass-game coordinator. Offensive line coach Jeff Stoutland is the run-game coordinator. Running backs coach Duce Staley is the assistant head coach. Rich Scangerello is the senior offensive assistant. Marty Mornhinweg is the senior offensive consultant. Andrew Breiner is the pass-game analyst.

Hug his balls all you want, he helped destroy that Super Bowl team right away. The new norm is being one of the worse teams in football 3 years after that Super Bowl. So go ahead and live in the past. You sound like a Cowboys fan.

You are making 100 percent baseless speculations and then chastising anyone who calls you out for that. I would spend more time engaging with you and picking apart your reasoning which has more holes than swiss cheese. That being said, I'm not wasting my time with someone whose source of information for his claims are the voices in his head. Provide some sort of proof that Lurie is making all of the decisions or you can STFU and go pound sand Karen. FWIW, either way he isn't the one drafting players, calling plays, and throwing the football you big dummy.

19 hours ago, T-1000 said:

You are making 100 percent baseless speculations and then chastising anyone who calls you out for that. I would spend more time engaging with you and picking apart your reasoning which has more holes than swiss cheese. That being said, I'm not wasting my time with someone whose source of information for his claims are the voices in his head. Provide some sort of proof that Lurie is making all of the decisions or you can STFU and go pound sand Karen. FWIW, either way he isn't the one drafting players, calling plays, and throwing the football you big dummy.

"That being said, I'm not wasting my time with someone whose source of information for his claims are the voices in his head." Then why do you keep on posting your nonsense on a post that is old- since you aren't wasting time on it? 🤣 😆🤣

32 minutes ago, SBorBust said:

You’re forgetting Lurie kicked us off his site.

Yep. We got fired before Howie.

• Haha 1

Jeff Lurie has shown multiple times during his 26 years (!) as the Eagles owner that 1) he gives the people he hires significant leeway to do their jobs and 2) he will step in and make changes at approximately the right time if and when changes need to be made.  He learned from giving Ray Rhodes a little too much leeway (kept him on in 1998, which resulted in the worst Eagles season in the last 40+ years) and Lurie hasn't done that again:

*Despite having a good relationship with Joe Banner (or at least that's the impression I had/have), Lurie fired Banner when he got into a power struggle with Andy Reid, who Lurie also respected for his success as the Eagles head coach, especially during his first six seasons.

*Despite liking Andy Reid a lot and having 14 mostly successful seasons with Reid as the head coach, Lurie fired Reid after his first losing season in seven years when Reid's efforts to create a star-laden team failed.  Lurie was also aggressive and cutting edge in his next hire, taking a bit of a risk in hiring Chip Kelly, which did work well for a couple years.

*Despite Chip Kelly's innovative methods, when Kelly as a GM made many questionable moves and Kelly as a coach was becoming less successful, Lurie wasted no time in firing Kelly, letting him go even though 2015 was Kelly's first losing season in three years in Philadelphia.

Jeff Lurie isn't a dummy - he's seen Howie Roseman do a good job managing the salary cap and the roster his first few years in charge, but he's also seen the unsuccessful drafts in recent years, even if the Eagles remained a competitive team every year prior to 2020.  Lurie also saw Doug Pederson be aggressive and fearless as a coach his first couple of seasons on the sidelines, with his second season resulting in a Super Bowl victory, but he's also seen Pederson become less innovative with his coaching and playcalling in more recent years and the team become only a little better than average the last two years before cratering this year.  If Lurie's past moves identified above are any guide, I think it is likely Roseman will be let go after this season, or at a minimum see his role reduced, and also that Pederson will be on the hot seat after this season if the team continues to play poorly and he is timid with pulling Carson Wentz if Wentz continues to play badly.

• Like 2

On 12/2/2020 at 12:04 AM, wyote said:

One of the basic problems we have now is that there is an entire generation of fans that learned to take 9-7 for granted as the floor for a football team. They expect everything to be easy, and their heads explode when things are hard. 

Basically, Lurie is being haunted by two decades of success. 

In all honesty a lot of Eagles fans are spoiled.  Yeah, the Eagles didn't win a league championship for 57 years before winning the Super Bowl in 2017.  But for over 30 years, 1988 to 2019, the Eagles have almost always had a competitive team and usually had a good team.  The Eagles have only had one multi-season stretch where they had consecutive losing seasons where at least one of the seasons had 10 or more losses, and that stretch only lasted three years (1997 to 1999).  Here's a further breakdown of the 1988 to 2019 period.

In those 32 seasons, the Eagles:

*Made the playoffs 19 times (1988-1990, 1992, 1995-1996, 2000-2004, 2006, 2008-2010, 2013, 2017-2019)

*Won at least 10 games 18 times (1988-1992, 1995-1996, 2000-2004, 2006, 2009-2010, 2013-2014, 2017)

*Finished with a winning record 21 times (1988-1992, 1995-1996, 2000-2004, 2006, 2008-2010, 2013-2014, 2017-2019)

*Won 16 playoff games (1992 - 1, 1995 - 1, 2000 - 1, 2001 - 2, 2002 -1, 2003 -1, 2004 - 2, 2006 - 1, 2008 - 2, 2017 - 3, 2018 - 1)

*Finished with a losing record only eight times (1994, 1997-1999, 2005, 2012, 2015-2016)

*Finished with 10 or more losses only four times (1998-1999, 2005, 2012)

Most teams, or more accurately, most teams' fans, would gladly trade their team's track record with our team's track record.

Obviously no Eagles fan is happy about what is going on in 2020.  But some people, especially those who don't remember when the Eagles were mediocre for an extended stretch (like 1982 to 1986/1987) or a bad team for a decade and a half (1962 to 1977) need to stop crying like the world is collapsing, grow up, and realize things could be A LOT worse for Eagles fans.

• Like 2

On 12/1/2020 at 1:21 PM, QBhunter58 said:

I like How you capITalized THings that you rEally want to stRESs. LauriE made a misTake By giving Howie too mUch conTrol over This team. SOme major chaNges need to be mAde at all levels. We NeeD to start By seLling Off our aging assets and enter next draft WITh a real GM. I hestitate to pUt all the blame at Lauries feet, but he is one Part of why we are here.

Had he not capitalized OTHERS, ALLOWED, WANTED, and ANYONE it would have been good.