Rapoport: 'Impossible' for Eagles to Cut Carson Wentz with $60M Cap Hit in 2021

Road to Victory

On 12/7/2020 at 8:59 AM, birdman#12 said:

The eagles should shut Wentz down for the season......put him in the OC box, give him a different perspective.  His head is so screwed up right now, that playing him is just going to f---- him up some more......IF they handle him right, he can be the long term QB around here......he's a unique talent who has lost his confidence, lost the confidence of the offensive players and needs to regain his love for the game......let his competitiveness overcome his issues......next year.  

There's no point in throwing him out there now........sit him down, clear his head, let him come back next year with a different perspective.

I also thin, like Tiger Woods, his body is betraying him. 

19 hours ago, eggs said:

I also thin, like Tiger Woods, his body is betraying him. 

Possibly. I wonder if there's more to last year's concussion affecting his ability to quickly process information that is admitted to. That could cause him to not see open receivers in time and to hold onto the ball too long. There was a poster here who had a family member that had a serious concussion and I think had other exposure to people affected. The poster said that anyone who had been around people who had sustained serious concussion recognizes the symptoms in Wentz. Maybe that's not it but I wonder.

17 hours ago, eglz1 said:

Possibly. I wonder if there's more to last year's concussion affecting his ability to quickly process information that is admitted to. That could cause him to not see open receivers in time and to hold onto the ball too long. There was a poster here who had a family member that had a serious concussion and I think had other exposure to people affected. The poster said that anyone who had been around people who had sustained serious concussion recognizes the symptoms in Wentz. Maybe that's not it but I wonder.

Could very well be it.  We’re all scratching our heads.  And the Eagles drafted a QB right away.  Wentz is not the same right now.

On 12/7/2020 at 8:24 AM, time2rock said:

You don't draft a QB high if you just committed to your starting QB by giving him a new contract that is worth near $130M.  I could see using a 2nd on Hurts had we not signed Wentz to that monster deal and instead slapped the franchise tag on him to continue to evaluate his play.  But you had to know there was some risk that drafting a QB would shake your franchise QB's confidence and have him looking over his shoulder ... so why do it?!?!  (The fact that it did is for another conversation).  Just more stupidity / roster mismanagement on the part of Howie. 

I’d argue that if drafting Hurts is really what ruined Wentz this year, then he doesn’t have the mental toughness to be the franchise qb in a city like Philly. 

On 12/8/2020 at 2:04 PM, Road to Victory said:

I don’t think "if” is a big word. Wentz singled handedly led them to the playoffs last year. He had no weapons around him. This is his first really bad year (2018 he was never really healthy). 

I’m not sure about Doug. When he first came to Philly I thought he was a dumb jock, "yes” man type of guy. Not a very cerebral coach but he proved me wrong and I liked his coaching style. But, like AR, Marty and those before him he’s too pass happy. They won the SB with a physical running game and now we’re back to a finesse offense. Get back to what worked. I’m starting to think my initial assessment of Doug was right. He makes some really dumb decisions. It may have been all Reich and Flip. 

So you think Doug is the problem, and not Wentz? Then explain why this team’s record under Doug is barely above .500 with Carson (38-35-1), yet they are something like 10-2 without Wentz. 

On 12/8/2020 at 9:07 AM, Road to Victory said:

If he plays like the Wentz of 2017 his teammates will respect him. They have to simplify things like they did his rookie year. Get him rolling out, make some easy passes to build his confidence. When Foles was struggling at the end of 2017, they went back and looked at his old tape to see what plays were successful. It’s simple, do the same for Wentz. He didn’t forget how to play football. The play calling is atrocious. You know on every 3rd down the blitz is coming and Pederson leaves him there like a sitting duck. If the blitz is coming there’s plenty of plays to burn a blitz. Take advantage of the blitz and burn the defense. 

They’ve tried giving him easy passes to build his confidence. He just flat out is inaccurate and misses even easy throws. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nipples said:

I’d argue that if drafting Hurts is really what ruined Wentz this year, then he doesn’t have the mental toughness to be the franchise qb in a city like Philly. 

Definitely no arguing that.  Which goes back to, if there was any indication that Wentz didn't have the mental toughness to be a franchise QB, when why sign him to a megadeal?  

45 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Definitely no arguing that.  Which goes back to, if there was any indication that Wentz didn't have the mental toughness to be a franchise QB, when why sign him to a megadeal?  

Because Howie. They could have easily waited. 

28 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

I expect Wentz to be here through the 2021 season. Beyond that, who knows.

Probably. I’d say there’s a chance they try to ship him to Indy in the offseason though IF Hurts has a great last three games and manages to get them to the playoffs. 

Just a thought... let’s say Hurts plays great down the stretch and gets them to the playoffs. Is it so far-fetched to believe that there’s a chance Wentz himself could request a trade? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nipples said:

Just a thought... let’s say Hurts plays great down the stretch and gets them to the playoffs. Is it so far-fetched to believe that there’s a chance Wentz himself could request a trade? 

If this team wins the next 3, makes the play offs and even wins a play off game? I mean at that point you've got to just trade Wentz. 

14 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

If this team wins the next 3, makes the play offs and even wins a play off game? I mean at that point you've got to just trade Wentz. 

I agree. My thought is just that even if the front office want to keep him, I think there’s a chance Wentz kind of forces their hand and asks to be traded. He clearly had a chip on his shoulder with Foles behind him, and with the reports of him not being happy when they drafted Hurts... I could see him wanting a fresh start elsewhere. 

15 hours ago, nipples said:

So you think Doug is the problem, and not Wentz? Then explain why this team’s record under Doug is barely above .500 with Carson (38-35-1), yet they are something like 10-2 without Wentz. 

When you have 4 wins it’s not one or the other. It’s Wentz, DP. Howie and a bunch of others. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, nipples said:

I agree. My thought is just that even if the front office want to keep him, I think there’s a chance Wentz kind of forces their hand and asks to be traded. He clearly had a chip on his shoulder with Foles behind him, and with the reports of him not being happy when they drafted Hurts... I could see him wanting a fresh start elsewhere. 

I could see that yeah. But then he's also got to realise that his contract does put this team in a bit of a difficult position.