Jalen Hurts - shoulder sprain injury; expected for playoffs

Moderator6

7 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Which are the type of answers anyone in this situation should give.

Especially someone who doesn’t think they should be a backup. :ph34r:

• Replies 14.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Which are the type of answers anyone in this situation should give.

Yup

3 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

One is a rookie that played four games. The other is mad even though he’s been coddled like a baby. 

Why keep making this about Wentz?  I agree he’s not good enough.  This thread is about Hurts, who is a bad passer, always has been, and always will be.

3 hours ago, eagle45 said:

Why keep making this about Wentz?  I agree he’s not good enough.  This thread is about Hurts, who is a bad passer, always has been, and always will be.

Yeah I’ll take the Hback over the alleged "quarterback.” 

2 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Yeah I’ll take the Hback over the alleged "quarterback.” 

Again with Wentz.  I'll take neither.

1 hour ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Not enough to prevent his coach from benching him for a guy that got outplayed by Ryan Fitzpatrick and will be replaced himself shortly.

Good enough > Fitzpatrick > Tua > Hurts

I'm not going to argue exactly where Wentz fits in there; he's on the wrong side of good enough as well.

Just Hinkie this thing and start Sudfeld for a year.  Better yet, sign Doug Pederson out of retirement; I hear he's looking for a job.

13 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Again with Wentz.  I'll take neither.

Not enough to prevent his coach from benching him for a guy that got outplayed by Ryan Fitzpatrick and will be replaced himself shortly.

If neither is an option I guess I’m open to that too. Honestly if the Eagles aren’t sold on Hurts (then they should fire Howie) then they might want to consider a quarterback at six or moving up to pick someone. 

Just now, EazyEaglez said:

If neither is an option I guess I’m open to that too. Honestly if the Eagles aren’t sold on Hurts (then they should fire Howie) then they might want to consider a quarterback at six or moving up to pick someone. 

Agreed on all fronts there.

Kind of feel bad for him. Shouldn't have been drafted and get stuck in this mess. He just wanted to get on an NFL team and get his shot

4 hours ago, Diehardfan said:

I don't know if Wentz is the answer, but Hurts isn't. Dump them both and start over at 6. 

I agree in the medium to long term Hurts probably is not the answer. But I think he could be a decent placeholder whilst they rebuild the roster around a young QB on their rookie contract? Unless of course they absolutely love one of the QBs in this draft and believe they can actually get that guy. To me though I would like to see them build the roster up with Hurts as the QB and then in 2-3 years look at bringing in a potential franchise QB.

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I agree in the medium to long term Hurts probably is not the answer. But I think he could be a decent placeholder whilst they rebuild the roster around a young QB on their rookie contract? Unless of course they absolutely love one of the QBs in this draft and believe they can actually get that guy. To me though I would like to see them build the roster up with Hurts as the QB and then in 2-3 years look at bringing in a potential franchise QB.

1000 % agreed!

Let’s see what we have in Hurts before we select another QB in a class that has only one really good prospect to show for. Outside of Lawrence the other QB’s in this class all have questions to answer.

Roll with Hurts, give this team a talent infusion and revisit the QB position after the season.

Just now, Ray75 said:

1000 % agreed!

Let’s see what we have in Hurts before we select another QB in a class that has only one really good prospect to show for. Outside of Lawrence the other QB’s in this class all have questions to answer.

Roll with Hurts, give this team a talent infusion and revisit the QB position after the season.

I think every QB in every draft has question marks but yeah I think they have an opportunity to rebuild this roster over the next 3 years whilst Hurts is on his rookie deal. I'm not saying keep Hurts for 3 years, I'm not saying ignore the position for 3 years but I think they have an opportunity here with Hurts who I think can be average.

26 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think every QB in every draft has question marks but yeah I think they have an opportunity to rebuild this roster over the next 3 years whilst Hurts is on his rookie deal. I'm not saying keep Hurts for 3 years, I'm not saying ignore the position for 3 years but I think they have an opportunity here with Hurts who I think can be average.

What I like about Hurts is his mental makeup. He wants to compete, improve, fight, be accountable and learn from his mistakes. Although not as talented, in that regard he’s the polar opposite of Wentz and, dare I say it, as an underdog the perfect QB to lead this team.

3 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

What I like about Hurts is his mental makeup. He wants to compete, improve, fight, be accountable and learn from his mistakes. Although not as talented, in that regard he’s the polar opposite of Wentz and, dare I say it, as an underdog the perfect QB to lead this team.

Agreed. ESP raised something on the Go Birds latest podcast which I found quite interesting (and let me caveat this by saying it doesn't actually make a difference to whether or not he is going to be a good NFL QB as some will think I am saying that). So apparently on social media Hurts takes posts from his team mates who have posted a picture of themselves in Eagles action and adds it to his story. I just think that is interesting and shows what kind of guy he is. I think it shows he is a good team mate. And let me also caveat this by saying I am not then suggesting that Carson is a bad team mate because he doesn't do that!

10 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

To me though I would like to see them build the roster up with Hurts as the QB and then in 2-3 years look at bringing in a potential franchise QB.

Sounds like a Trent Green/Kurt Warner situation, Warner went on to have a HOF career, give Hurts a chance and he may be your franchise QB.

Ready to give him the next year if there is no stud we love in the draft.  Hand him the keys and let’s see what he can do.

Not sure why everyone is so sure Hurts can’t be the answer. I’m not saying he is, but we don’t n is either way. He seems to have the right attitude and a strong work ethic. Give him the season to prove he’s the guy. If he doesn’t, then they are probably picking pretty high again so they can get a QB then. 

All that said, I wouldn’t be upset with Fields at 6 either. But I don’t think it’s imperative that they draft a QB this year and I am not counting Hurts out. 

1 hour ago, Arsenal79 said:

Ready to give him the next year if there is no stud we love in the draft.  Hand him the keys and let’s see what he can do.

According to many here, the next 2 years are done already.  We might as well let him run the one read and run offense for now.  Scary concept.

6 minutes ago, E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles said:

According to many here, the next 2 years are done already.  We might as well let him run the one read and run offense for now.  Scary concept.

They are done.  That doesn’t mean you can’t try to develop Hurts.  We’ve been trying to develop Pyrite for five years but you and your friends want to waste a few more on him even though he’s worse than ever.

4 minutes ago, Arsenal79 said:

They are done.  That doesn’t mean you can’t try to develop Hurts.  We’ve been trying to develop Pyrite for five years but you and your friends want to waste a few more on him even though he’s worse than ever.

LOL.  Putting years into Hurts after he showed an inability to develop basic QB skills at two premium programs seems like a pipe dream, but let's give it a shot.  He can be a place holder, until the next real QB gets here.

Don't get me wrong I have some strong doubts about Hurts potential ceiling as a QB and his aggressive instinct to run opens the door to a greater injury risk.  But that said it seems like a lot of people here have an extremely negative view of Hurts and are acting like he is this awful QB with no upside and he wouldn't be able to win or maintain a job next season against whatever journeyman veteran backup QB they bring in if they go with Hurts and don't draft a QB.

Did he flash? Yes.  Did he light the world on fire with great consistency as a rookie?  No.  But look at how he compared to the rookie years of the other home grown QBs of note. 

McNabb 2-4 record, 49.1%, 948 passing yards, 8 TD passes, 7 interceptions, 313 rushing yards & 0 rushing TDs.

Foles - 1-5 record, 60.8%, 1,699 passing yards, 6 TD passes, 5 interceptions, 42 rushing yards & 1 rushing TD.

Wentz - 7-9 record, 62.4%, 3,782 passing yards, 16 TD passes, 14 interceptions, 150 rushing yards & 2 rushing TDs.

Hurts - 1-3 record, 52%, 1,061 passing yards, 6 TD passes, 4 interceptions, 354 rushing yards & 3 rushing TDs.  

We don't know what we have in Hurts in year 2 until we see it.  But the overflowing amount of pessimism and dismissal of any chance of Hurts further developing into a better QB in his 2nd season is just completely unfounded when we look at the context of his rookie season in comparison to those that came before him in this Franchise.  

You’re gonna get a lot of excuses, but it comes down to they’re butthurt about Wentz. I can’t say I believe in Hurts or not, but I will state I would give him at least one full season to find out what he is. If he’s really bad by the end of 2021 the Eagles will have a top five pick likely and that means they will be in a position to draft a guy. 

Like others have said, the vast majority of the Hurts naysayers are the die-hard Wentz fanatics.  They are in the minority but as usual, they scream the loudest.  If you venture outside of this board and look at every other random poll on Twitter or just about any other site, most fans (Average of over 70%-80%) feel that Hurts has shown enough this season to be given the opportunity to compete for a starting position next season.  

Archived