Big PAY Slay

ToDie4Eagles

2 minutes ago, RastaPasta said:

Slay is a baller. He's the least of this team's worries.

Howie got a big reprieve after the Super Bowl, but the Eagles' glaring weakness is Howie Roseman. He has burned this team to the ground. 

Slay isn't a concern as much but at the same time he sort of is. Not now, not immediately, not after 2 difficult weeks against 2 top WRs. But beyond this year he might be because he is getting older and so isn't a long term answer here. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Slay isn't a concern as much but at the same time he sort of is. Not now, not immediately, not after 2 difficult weeks against 2 top WRs. But beyond this year he might be because he is getting older and so isn't a long term answer here. 

Certainly a problem as long as Howie is here picking players in the draft who won't be able to play once Slay is finished.

3 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

If he was that great, he'd still be in Detroit. He is a good, but not great CB and he's getting older. Temper expectations to reality. Elite WR's will beat him more than he beats them.

Not sure why folks thought he was Deion Sanders. He's really just a step above Darby.

1 minute ago, RastaPasta said:

Certainly a problem as long as Howie is here picking players in the draft who won't be able to play once Slay is finished.

Agreed. And I think Slay could potentially be more of an issue from next year as father time moves in. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, judunno said:

Not sure why folks thought he was Deion Sanders. He's really just a step above Darby.

The difference between Slay and virtually every other Eagles CB the last 10 years is that Slay is hardly ever out of position. Good QBs have targeted good WRs against him and made some plays the last 2 weeks. It's not like we've been giving him any help against teams' top targets. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, judunno said:

23 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

The difference between Slay and virtually every other Eagles CB the last 10 years is that Slay is hardly ever out of position. Good QBs have targeted good WRs against him and made some plays the last 2 weeks. It's not like we've been giving him any help against teams' top targets. 

Darby was good in the Super Bowl year.

And exactly this. Most CBS wouldn’t get close to Metcalf and Adams one on one.

Plus Rodgers is unbelievable on anticipation throws. Slay would have shut Adams down if Wentz was throwing to him.

26 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

Agreed. I mean it's a slight concern that he's gotten good positioning but still isn't able to limit the opposing WR. But he's had a good year overall. The concern for me is that in theory this is the best version of Slay that we are going to see.

12 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Agreed. I mean it's a slight concern that he's gotten good positioning but still isn't able to limit the opposing WR. But he's had a good year overall. The concern for me is that in theory this is the best version of Slay that we are going to see.

Never forget that this is a team sport. There are too many reasons to list why the offense is struggling, but when your offense struggles like ours has all year, the defense tends to be on the field more than it should be, which makes their job harder. Since we have rarely had a lead in games this year, the defense can't afford to really gamble very much at all. I think you're seeing proof of that with our lack of INTs. 

Honestly, I'm not worried about Slay. I'm worried that we haven't yet found one person to start opposite him that we can call solid. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, brkmsn said:

Honestly, I'm not worried about Slay. I'm worried that we haven't yet found one person to start opposite him that we can call solid. 

I wouldn't worry about Slay if we can find a stud to play opposite him. At this point we don't just need someone solid, we need a stud who can be the #1 in the medium and long term.

2 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I wouldn't worry about Slay if we can find a stud to play opposite him. At this point we don't just need someone solid, we need a stud who can be the #1 in the medium and long term.

Totally agree, buddy!

Problem is that this organisation hasn’t addressed the position properly in the draft in a long, long time.

We have so many needs, we could literally go in every direction with our top 6 pick and therein lies the key. If we go the sexy pick and draft Chase, in which direction will you go with your 2nd rounder? Corner? Linebacker? Offensive line? Doesn’t matter how you put it, you’ll be picking top 2nd tier. Especially concerning CB’s, only a handful of those prospects turn into studs at the next level.

Bottom line; corner is a premium position. Unlike LB and OC/OG, the majority of the top prospects at the position will go first round.

• Like 1

Just now, Ray75 said:

Problem is that this organisation hasn’t addressed the position properly in the draft in a long, long time.

And that's the major concern here. 

If Slay next year is CB #1.5 or #1b then great. But the chances that this organisation draft a CB in the first? And that the CB they pick goes on to be a stud? I mean yeah I have my doubts there for sure. 

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

And that's the major concern here. 

If Slay next year is CB #1.5 or #1b then great. But the chances that this organisation draft a CB in the first? And that the CB they pick goes on to be a stud? I mean yeah I have my doubts there for sure. 

Here’s how I would like them to attack the draft;

- neglect DL in the first. Although I’m a fan of Paye, the value isn’t there at 4,5 or 6.

- same can be said about OL if Sewell is off the board;

- you now have narrowed your target positions down to WR, CB and LB;

- if Surtain is off the board, you even narrowed it to two positions;

- ask yourself the question; which prospect will have the biggest impact on the team, has the highest grade and offers the best value in the top 6;

- just take him;

- if you don’t like what’s on the board for you, try to trade down (plenty of QB hungry teams out there) and fetch some extra picks to work with. Trading down and still come up with someone like Devonta Smith, Jaylen Waddle or Wyatt Davis sounds pretty intruiging to me but who am I.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

if you don’t like what’s on the board for you, try to trade down (plenty of QB hungry teams out there) and fetch some extra picks to work with. Trading down and still come up with someone like Devonta Smith, Jaylen Waddle or Wyatt Davis sounds pretty intruiging to me but who am I.

Let's not rule out that we may be one of those QB needy teams though bud. 

😉

Just now, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Let's not rule out that we may be one of those QB needy teams though bud. 

😉

I’d be stunned if they take a QB with Wentz and Hurts still on the roster but yeah, sure, a new regime might want to handpick it’s own franchise QB.

Personally I’d like them to do everything in their power to salvage Wentz and/or get the most outta Hurts before taking another QB high.

Top priorities in the upcoming draft should be OL, WR, outside CB and LB. Hit on those and the arrow will point up!

23 hours ago, GeorgeM37 said:

DK Metcalf...I am sorry but show me a corner in the league that has completely shut that man down.

Jalen Ramsey and Patrick Peterson

1 minute ago, 20dawk4life said:

The future Eagles GM if I can help it!!!

Absolutely! LOL