Apparently, there's a rumor that Doug could get fired this week for benching Wentz

gameshowfan91

WTF. Because Doug did right thing, he'll get fired for that? Lurie (or Howie): Have you not seen how bad Wentz has been all season? Hurts actually played better in 2nd half than Wentz did all season. I get that Wentz was paid all that money, but benching him was necessary. Quit babying Wentz!! Coaching can't get all blame for Wentz's poor decision-making (sacks and turnovers). Also, players may have lost faith in him. How can all this get pinned on coaching? Coaches should be allowed to bench a player if they think it's necessary. It's called holding players accountable. Reid benched McNabb in 2008 for a half, and Reid's job wasn't in jeopardy. It actually helped Eagles. They almost made it to Super Bowl that year.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, phil77 said:

"Hurts played better in the second half than Wentz did all season"  -  Laughable and false.  

How did Wentz play in 1st half today? Awful. Hurts gave Eagles a chance to win. Had they kept Wentz in there, there would have been no hope to win.

• Like 1

Who is he that he would have some inside source to Lurie?(I watched like 5 seconds)

Also I wouldn't care. Doug needs to go anyway

• Like 2

Just now, Mike030270 said:

Who is he that he would have some inside source to Lurie?(I watched like 5 seconds)

Also I wouldn't care. Doug needs to go anyway

What Howie and Doug should be fired for is putting together this pathetic team that no QB can win with. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, gameshowfan91 said:

How did Wentz play in 1st half today? Awful. Hurts gave Eagles a chance to win. Had they kept Wentz in there, there would have been no hope to win.

Today??  That wasn't your statement.   Your statement said Hurts played better in the second half than what Wentz did all season which is False.   If you said Hurts was better in the second half than Wentz was in the first half I would agree and that is a fact.  

Truth is Hurts didn't play any better than what Wentz has been doing all year long.  In a half of football Hurts was 5/12 - 100 yards 1 TD 1 INT and 3 sacks with a 67 rating.   If you double that for a full game you get 10-24 200 yards 2 TD 2 INT 6 sacks.  You know what that sounds exactly like every game Wentz has.  Like I said in another thread Wentz is a 5 year guy getting 150 million so I expect more than Hurts but don't act like Hurts played some lights out game and was spectacular.  He was exactly what Wentz has been all season. 

The Packers gave the Eagles a chance to win and the Eagles special teams made an impact play. 

• Like 4

I highly doubt Lurie fires a coach until the season is over unless things are so bad internally that there is no other option. So, I doubt this is true unless Doug and Howie are arguing daily.

• Like 1

Weird. From what i recall Lurie wanted Hurts to play last wk should Carson struggle. Which is exactly what happened. Cant see why it would be any different from here on out.

If Doug gets fired, its because hes a crap HC - Not because he benched Wentz (which should've happened long ago)

• Like 3

I think whoever the person who signed Wentz to a 35 million/year contract and then drafts a QB in the 2nd round which destroyed his confidence is the one who should be fired....

• Like 7

Your source of the rumor is some guy sitting in front of a fire on YouTube? And his source is skip Bayless lmao!! Also said he highly doubts it will happen. Also never said anything about being fired for benching Wentz.  Did you even watch the video? 

Oh and he is a cowboys fan you dope!!!

• Haha 4

If they want to lose half their fan-base, sure.

And what half decent head coach would ever want to come to an organization that just fired their head coach (in the middle of the season) for benching the 3rd worst performing QB in the NFL?  

So I would rate this rumor:  Most likely false.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

If they want to lose half their fan-base, sure.

And what half decent head coach would ever want to come to an organization that just fired their head coach (in the middle of the season) for benching the 3rd worst performing QB in the NFL?  

So I would rate this rumor:  Most likely false.

It's a a rumor started by an effing cowboys fan who also listens to skip Bayless. 

/Thread 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Your source of the rumor is some guy sitting in front of a fire on YouTube? And his source is skip Bayless lmao!! Also said he highly doubts it will happen. Also never said anything about being fired for benching Wentz.  Did you even watch the video? 

Oh and he is a cowboys fan you dope!!!

Right? Didn't even need to look any further than the "source" as some random YouTuber. 

Last week reports Lurie wanted Hurts, now this? :lol:

2 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Right? Didn't even need to look any further than the "source" as some random YouTuber. 

Last week reports Lurie wanted Hurts, now this? :lol:

Exactly!! 😂. Last week lurie wanted Hurts and now he is firing Doug for giving him Hurts... Lol. New week, new stuff to argue about for an entire week over and over again. 

Ohh the good old days when threads were: 

( insert Eagles name ) should shut his mouth up...

2 words that stand out to me are:

1. Apparently- which means what? Perhaps? Maybe? Might be? Could be? None of these are factual words.

2. Rumor- which means what? Perhaps? Maybe? Might be? Could be? None of these are factual words.

Apparently there is a rumor.

Meaningless 

4 hours ago, gameshowfan91 said:

WTF. Because Doug did right thing, he'll get fired for that? Lurie (or Howie): Have you not seen how bad Wentz has been all season? Hurts actually played better in 2nd half than Wentz did all season. I get that Wentz was paid all that money, but benching him was necessary. Quit babying Wentz!! Coaching can't get all blame for Wentz's poor decision-making (sacks and turnovers). Also, players may have lost faith in him. How can all this get pinned on coaching? Coaches should be allowed to bench a player if they think it's necessary. It's called holding players accountable. Reid benched McNabb in 2008 for a half, and Reid's job wasn't in jeopardy. It actually helped Eagles. They almost made it to Super Bowl that year.

If true I commend Doug for doing it even though he knew he'd get fired. Had to be done. Even if Doug's coaching was poor I don't think he had a lot of say in what's been going on with the team, personal wise, since the Superbowl.

The more I look at the whole season, including the pressers by both Wentz and Doug, I keep concluding that Wentz is willfully undisciplined. Benching him was the right thing to do. Wentz needs the wakeup call to understand he was benched for poor performance. In his presser today, Wentz seemed like he somehow thought Hurts wasn't taking the rest of the game. If true, he's living in a fantasy world.

His starting job is in jeopardy and he bears a good measure of the blame. If he were hitting guys in stride, and they dropped the passes, it's not him. If he's off high too much, or short too much, or holds the ball when he shouldn't too much, or throws into double and triple coverage, that is 100% on him.

As a fan, I'm disappointed that he still seems to think he has the latitude to do things his way at all, and that he is magically secure in his starting job. It's like he refuses to accept that could change. Then again, at what level was he not on the best team or at least a great team vs. his competition? Only the 2020 Eagles. Now that he's on a crap team, his limitations are showing and his gunslinger persona sucks as does his play. The team needs a hyper efficient QB right now with elite accuracy, not some inefficient guy who will make one big play every other week.

He was at his best when he wasn't free to do what he wanted under Flip. The whole thing is sad.

• Like 4

Hopefully the benching has the same effect on him that it had on McNabb years ago. It's to little too late now though

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, greend said:

Hopefully the benching has the same effect on him that it had on McNabb years ago. It's to little too late now though

Yeah I don’t see this situation getting better. Even with McNabb, they gave him a "financial apology” in 2009 before shipping him off after the year. Carson needs to fix what he can himself first and foremost, but he also needs a new structure that doesn’t include Doug or Howie. 

1 minute ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Yeah I don’t see this situation getting better. Even with McNabb, they gave him a "financial apology” in 2009 before shipping him off after the year. Carson needs to fix what he can himself first and foremost, but he also needs a new structure that doesn’t include Doug or Howie. 

Yup