The good, the bad and the ugly: Week 13 at Packers

e-a-g-l-e-s eagles!

From what I could see of Wentz in recent games, his tendency was to duck and move forward when the rushing pressure mounting.  That move him into the incoming wave of rushers and bad things resulted.  He must have loved that miracle escape couple of season ago when he somehow emerge from a pile of rushers.  But this season there is no miracle and he has been sacked far more than he should.

On the other hand, when he scrambled to the sidelines, he managed to avoid the rush and made some passes.  That should be a simple fix for him.

23 minutes ago, Penn7980 said:

From what I could see of Wentz in recent games, his tendency was to duck and move forward when the rushing pressure mounting.  That move him into the incoming wave of rushers and bad things resulted.  He must have loved that miracle escape couple of season ago when he somehow emerge from a pile of rushers.  But this season there is no miracle and he has been sacked far more than he should.

On the other hand, when he scrambled to the sidelines, he managed to avoid the rush and made some passes.  That should be a simple fix for him.

His accuracy is shot, he needs a lot of hard work with coaches to rebuild his mechanics and fundamentals and perhaps a sports psychologist to sort his head out. From his presser he doesn't appear to believe he has any problems beyond needing to play better, which is true on a base level but worryingly complacent about the causes of him playing badly.

Someone needs to edit out Waldo and edit in Sanders in one of those pics.  We should just start referring to Sanders as Waldo.  Where is he?  Have you seen him?  Can you find him?

6 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

His accuracy is shot, he needs a lot of hard work with coaches to rebuild his mechanics and fundamentals and perhaps a sports psychologist to sort his head out. From his presser he doesn't appear to believe he has any problems beyond needing to play better, which is true on a base level but worryingly complacent about the causes of him playing badly.

There’s a couple things going on with him when you watch them on film.

— His arm angles are just not good. There’s times where I look at him and I said why are you throwing the ball on a side arm angle when there’s no need for it and the ball just comes out not accurate.

— There’s also when he’s throwing the deep all the times his base is way too open. Like it’s hard to get enough on the ball if your stance is too open and you’re trying to throw down field. you’re gonna throw a wobbler that’s less accurate.

— His mechanics are really poor right now. They’ve been inconsistent week to week over the last three years. Which is a reason why I think a lot of people got on press Taylor because if you at least had consistent mechanics then you can say well at least on have the decision making problem. But he’s having decision-making problems and his mechanics are wrong.

They need some quarterback guru to come in there and work with his mechanics. I believe after his rookie off-season he hired one of the best quarterback gurus to work on him with his mechanics. I think he needs to go back to that. Because I think if you at least improve his mechanics he wouldn’t be as awful as he’s shown this year. The decision making is a whole other thing you have to work on with. However I think with a mechanics issue it’s a fixable issue that should’ve been fixed already. 

• Like 1

Great point about the Hail Mary opportunity.  Makes no sense to let the clock run out there.  If you had any confidence in your team, you take a shot.  Sure it’s prob < 10% probability, but why not.  No confidence in the OL is prob why not. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eglz1 said:

I wonder if Wentz is untraedable as everybody thinks. If Wentz feels like he's in a no-win situation and other teams that he feels better about are interested in him, I don't see why he and the Eagles could not agree mutually to void his contract or more likely for the Eagles to buy out his contract.

I don't think he's untradeable at all to be honest with you. If this team is to undergo a major overhaul then it is conceivable to me that a new GM and HC would consider going in a different direction. Arizona did it and that has put them in a much better position very quickly. 

I also don't think it's likely that they do trade Wentz but I can absolutely see it happening now. They've opened Pandoras box now with the move made yesterday to bench Wentz. 

22 minutes ago, RUEagle said:

Great point about the Hail Mary opportunity.  Makes no sense to let the clock run out there.  If you had any confidence in your team, you take a shot.  Sure it’s prob < 10% probability, but why not.  No confidence in the OL is prob why not. 

To me it goes two I think Doug has just checked out mentally. When he is on top of his game as a coach that is something he’s going to do. He’s going to take that chance and that risk regardless of the negative that could come with it.

I don’t know if I believe the report from 4th and jawn that he’s got a step down at the end of the year. Because I don’t think he’s probably come to that conclusion yet. But my theory has always been I don’t see all three of these guys (wentz, doug and howie) being here by the end of 2021. I’ve been on that since the end of last year. One of them was going to be gone. My conclusion was always I thought Doug would be the one that gets fired first or he would walk away because he didn’t like that the Eagles front office told him who we had a fire and eventually would take playcalling away from him if the offense continue to struggle. 

I would say this I am watching the eagles the next four weeks cause doug and Zach Ertz might be in their final couple of games. 

Love your posts e-  

but at this point i feel like it’s a waste of time for you.   This team ain’t improving. Just getting more embarrassing by the week. Wholesale changes across the board are needed.   

I just wish they had lost the bengal game and the other 3 games they won.  That would’ve insured howie getting the axe

I like hurts.  I gotta feeling he is going to be a gamer in this league

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SNOORDA said:

but at this point i feel like it’s a waste of time for you.   This team ain’t improving. Just getting more embarrassing by the week. Wholesale changes across the board are needed.   

Not sure it's about that for our side e- though. I think he seems to enjoy watching the tape and giving us his break down. I think he'll do it even if we are worse next year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Not sure it's about that for our side e- though. I think he seems to enjoy watching the tape and giving us his break down. I think he'll do it even if we are worse next year.

Yeah i know.  I feel bad because i can only imagine how frustrating it is for him to rehash this bs every week 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SNOORDA said:

Yeah i know.  I feel bad because i can only imagine how frustrating it is for him to rehash this bs every week 

I guess at this point it could also be quite entertaining? In a sad slapstick comedy way. 

27 minutes ago, SNOORDA said:

Love your posts e-  

I just wish they had lost the bengal game and the other 3 games they won.  That would’ve insured howie getting the axe

I like hurts.  I gotta feeling he is going to be a gamer in this league

What makes it really hard is that a lot of the times it’s a lot of the same mistakes or frustrations when you watch the tape that they’ve been making over the course of the season. But I’ve gotten used to it because last year for three months it was very similar to what we are seeing now except Carson Wentz wasn’t playing nearly as poorly so we were somewhat competent on offense. 

trust me there’s games where I cringe at the fact that I have to write what I do because it’s gonna be very repetitive and it’s not fun when they’re bad to write about them. It’s much more fun when they’re good. And at least in 2016 when they were not very good you had the potential of Wentz week and week out so you wanted to see progress and the team showed signs at the end. 

when I watch the last 2 1/2 years I felt like this team was descending and declining. When you’re at the top there’s only one way to go but the writing has been on the wall all the way dating back to 2018. People talk about Alshon Jeffery dropping the ball but realistically they were fortunate to even be in that game considering the fact the Bears kicker double doink a chip shot field-goal. 

frankly I enjoyed more watching the coaching tape a couple days after I write this. To see if I covered everything I could have. watching the game in real time and then watching it a second time in writing I cover a lot but the old 22 gives you more access to just why plays didn’t work and what defenses are trying to do to offenses. I enjoy watching all 22s from other teams that I know are being creative and what they’re doing to see how the rest of the league is progressing and where the Eagles are.

frankly that game yesterday was easier to write about then if I would’ve had a write about the Seahawks Giants game. That game was ugly. If I had it write for the Seahawks that would’ve been massively challenging

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

To me it goes two I think Doug has just checked out mentally. When he is on top of his game as a coach that is something he’s going to do. He’s going to take that chance and that risk regardless of the negative that could come with it.

I kinda wonder if Doug and maybe Carson too might just be tired of swimming against the fecal river flowing down from on high. Don't know, just kinda wonder.

Just now, eglz1 said:

I kinda wonder if Doug and maybe Carson too might just be tired of swimming against the fecal river flowing from on high. Don't know, just kinda wonder.

I kind of think doug and Carson are at two different places. Doug like I said before.

With Carson I think a lot of what you are seeing is poor mechanics and decision making but that stems from what I would call a David carr like situation going on. I think the hits and previous injuries are weighing on him. I think when he’s out there he seeing ghosts when there’s no pressure at times (not always that often). Once you get to the point of you are seeing ghosts you tend to have bigger issues where you get sloppy with mechanics and decisions to just avoid getting hurt or hit. Because then you’re not seeing the field guys are open on some plays and you don’t throw it because you’re worried about getting hit more then getting the ball to where it should go. And I don’t necessarily blame him because I think a lot of quarterbacks when this gets to that point you’re just not able to mentally get that out of your head

2 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I kind of think doug and Carson are at two different places. Doug like I said before.

With Carson I think a lot of what you are seeing is poor mechanics and decision making but that stems from what I would call a David carr like situation going on. I think the hits and previous injuries are weighing on him. I think when he’s out there he seeing ghosts when there’s no pressure at times (not always that often). Once you get to the point of you are seeing ghosts you tend to have bigger issues where you get sloppy with mechanics and decisions to just avoid getting hurt or hit. Because then you’re not seeing the field guys are open on some plays and you don’t throw it because you’re worried about getting hit more then getting the ball to where it should go. And I don’t necessarily blame him because I think a lot of quarterbacks when this gets to that point you’re just not able to mentally get that out of your head

David Carr syndrome? Could be. Carson has certainly been hit and harassed enough over the years.

4 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

There’s merit to that, but the fact is that a lot of the sacks he’s taken aren’t even a product of the line immediately collapsing, they’re a result of him holding the ball for more than 4 seconds and not having the pocket presence to buy himself space to get the ball out. 

6 minutes ago, nipples said:

There’s merit to that, but the fact is that a lot of the sacks he’s taken aren’t even a product of the line immediately collapsing, they’re a result of him holding the ball for more than 4 seconds and not having the pocket presence to buy himself space to get the ball out. 

There is some of that. But I would tell you on the all 22 of the six sacks in that Seahawks game, five of them nobody got open. On his 5 runs 3 where he took off guys werent open. That’s why he held onto the ball. There’s also the fact we continuously run too many plays that are slow developing plays to get guys open. Last week Greg ward got open I wanna say about 20 to 25 yards downfield in the second half but it took that play 7 to 8 seconds for him to get to that point. There is no way this offensive line is holding up. There was another play with hightower on the right hash late in the 4th quarter. Again slow developing play. The problem was Matt Pryor gets beat off the line so Carson has to roll to his left so there is no way throwing across the other side of the field he is going to hit hightower in stride for a should be touchdown.

this is why I continue to say when you watch the all 22 yes the quarterback play has not been good. However there’s so many things going wrong like slow developing plays, offensive line not good enough, running backs being terrible in pass protection and blitz protection which again was a problem yesterday there was a play Boston Scott block nobody and the guy ran right by him for a sack.  Scott just completely missed his assignment.

10 minutes ago, eglz1 said:

David Carr syndrome? Could be. Carson has certainly been hit and harassed enough over the years.

Some of it is on his own accord by holding the ball too long. Some of it is the line not holding up. Some is slow developing plays with a bad  line. Some of it is definitely our running backs have regressed in pass pro. Really the last one has not been discussed nearly enough on this board. Miles Sanders looks like a rookie out there impasse protection. Last year he look like a veteran. Boston in Scott’s been terrible all year at it. He was awful yesterday. There’s three plays yesterday when you go back and watch you were like what the F is Boston Scott doing

28 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

What makes it really hard is that a lot of the times it’s a lot of the same mistakes or frustrations when you watch the tape that they’ve been making over the course of the season. But I’ve gotten used to it because last year for three months it was very similar to what we are seeing now except Carson Wentz wasn’t playing nearly as poorly so we were somewhat competent on offense. 

trust me there’s games where I cringe at the fact that I have to write what I do because it’s gonna be very repetitive and it’s not fun when they’re bad to write about them. It’s much more fun when they’re good. And at least in 2016 when they were not very good you had the potential of Wentz week and week out so you wanted to see progress and the team showed signs at the end. 

when I watch the last 2 1/2 years I felt like this team was descending and declining. When you’re at the top there’s only one way to go but the writing has been on the wall all the way dating back to 2018. People talk about Alshon Jeffery dropping the ball but realistically they were fortunate to even be in that game considering the fact the Bears kicker double doink a chip shot field-goal. 

frankly I enjoyed more watching the coaching tape a couple days after I write this. To see if I covered everything I could have. watching the game in real time and then watching it a second time in writing I cover a lot but the old 22 gives you more access to just why plays didn’t work and what defenses are trying to do to offenses. I enjoy watching all 22s from other teams that I know are being creative and what they’re doing to see how the rest of the league is progressing and where the Eagles are.

frankly that game yesterday was easier to write about then if I would’ve had a write about the Seahawks Giants game. That game was ugly. If I had it write for the Seahawks that would’ve been massively challenging

Yes.  That’s what if figured and tried to express. How frustrating it would be to write about something that isnt changing.  

This season has been so consistent.  Consistent failure by the same players and coaches week in and week out.   

but i do look forward to your posts and appreciate your efforts bro

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

There is some of that. But I would tell you on the all 22 of the six sacks in that Seahawks game, five of them nobody got open. On his 5 runs 3 where he took off guys werent open. That’s why he held onto the ball. There’s also the fact we continuously run too many plays that are slow developing plays to get guys open. Last week Greg ward got open I wanna say about 20 to 25 yards downfield in the second half but it took that play 7 to 8 seconds for him to get to that point. There is no way this offensive line is holding up. There was another play with hightower on the right hash late in the 4th quarter. Again slow developing play. The problem was Matt Pryor gets beat off the line so Carson has to roll to his left so there is no way throwing across the other side of the field he is going to hit hightower in stride for a should be touchdown.

this is why I continue to say when you watch the all 22 yes the quarterback play has not been good. However there’s so many things going wrong like slow developing plays, offensive line not good enough, running backs being terrible in pass protection and blitz protection which again was a problem yesterday there was a play Boston Scott block nobody and the guy ran right by him for a sack.  Scott just completely missed his assignment.

Ok so if guys aren’t open, THROW THE BALL AWAY! Don’t take back to back sacks to get knocked out of field goal range. 

10 minutes ago, nipples said:

Ok so if guys aren’t open, THROW THE BALL AWAY! Don’t take back to back sacks to get knocked out of field goal range. 

This is the place you’re referring to. On this play you have three wide receivers lined up to left side. All of them on this particular play run routes longer than 10 yards. So when wentz goes to look seconds after the ball snapped they’re still running the routes. Again slow developing play. He gets pressure from his left side so he slides to his right to give them more time. by the time he does that he either has the escape the pocket (should’ve done) and throw it away. Or he’s gonna have to throw it to where they are (and I can’t see on that view of the play if they’re even open but if they’re not open now you’re putting the ball in harms way) to avoid the intentional grounding. So because the running back went to help block with mailata he isn’t out as a receiver as a safety valve to just kill the play with a throw away. So he would’ve either had to escape the tacklebox and get outside of the pocket to throw it away which he probably should’ve done. Or he was gonna have to throw it in the vicinity of those wide receivers and put the borrow in harms way if they were open which they don’t appear to be on the view of the TV film  

9475D294-26E6-4984-9C7B-C175F5A2113E.jpeg

8B1D89E3-23C0-49BC-9782-A804DA43C501.jpeg

DA8CE6EA-CD3D-410E-9E18-E193405D33E8.jpeg

54BC0055-C9F4-4D25-ADEC-420213403543.jpeg

He needs to get out of the pocket and throw it away, or just throw it way over a receiver’s head and out of bounds. Considering how he’s sailing balls constantly, the refs would even give it a thought that he wasn’t actually trying to throw it to the receiver. 

8 minutes ago, nipples said:

He needs to get out of the pocket and throw it away, or just throw it way over a receiver’s head and out of bounds. Considering how he’s sailing balls constantly, the refs would even give it a thought that he wasn’t actually trying to throw it to the receiver. 

How are you gonna throw it over wide receiver and out of bounds when there was no wide receiver on the right side of the field. When he moves to right side of the pocket all 3 WRs are on the left side of the field outside of the left hash. There’s no way you’re throwing it all the way out of balance on the left side of the field (none of the WRs were even close to the sideline) especially not with how he’s using his mechanics right now. And you can’t just throw the ball out of bounds on the right side of the field when there’s not wide receiver lined up or on that side of the field unless he breaks the pocket 

The only play he had was to get outside of the pocket and throw it away. At that point he could’ve done what you said. But once he was stayed inside the pocket he couldn’t do that. It wasn’t just throw it away. You likely put the ball in harms way as the receivers weren’t open when the pressure got started or get an intentional grounding. The obvious option is he should’ve escape the pocket and just thrown the ball away.

8 hours ago, GeorgeM37 said:

I agree...some of this is indeed salvageable.....I remember a time when our linebackers were the absolute best in the league and now look what we have here....

Doug seems disinterested and annoyed at every single press conference....I feel bad for him sometimes but most times, not...

I think this whole board agrees that Howie needs to go....like yesterday....

Doug has dug a ditch right next to Carson and Howie though Howie’s ditch is probably the biggest of them all. 

• Like 2