Who do you want starting at QB for now?

Ace Nova

Who do you want starting for now?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want starting for now?

• Jalen Hurts
    • Carson Wentz

7 hours ago, EagleMatt said:

Hurts. Open competition next season may the best man win. Like Vick v Foles all over again. Dont care what carsons done seasons ago or what hes making. I want someone who gives us the best shot to get Ws.

Exactly where I am as well.  Play Hurts for the remainder of 2020.  He isn't going to lead us to the playoffs ... this year is shot anyway ... but the experience will be invaluable for him.  That also gives Carson some time to reflect, learn, and work on his shortcomings without having all the pressure he has had on himself.  Then next offseason let the two engage in an open and fair competition.  Like you said ... may the best man win.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Peters should be cut, hell give him a retirement presentation pre game if you like, but every day he's on this roster is a day Doug is tempted to take another look at him at guard.

I doubt Lurie would ever allow Peters to be cut.  But they should just put him on IR for the remainder of the season.  Time to give the young bucks a shot.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Literally nobody believes that starting Hurts solves all the problems. there are threads about various levels of cleaning house that Lurie needs to do all over the board, it's just that a lot of us believe that isn't enough to explain just how bad Wentz has been.

I've said it before, right now Nagy is on the hot seat in Chicago and their O Line is worse than ours but nobody is suggesting they don't need to replace Trubisky and Foles and neither has been as bad as Wentz, who at the moment is only being benched temporarily.

Nick Foles QBR is lower than Wentz

Give Hurts a chance. Let's see what we're working with there. Might as well play all of the young guys at this point, give them some reps.

Wentz will be back next year. He's not going anywhere with his hefty contract. Let them battle it out for the starting job in preseason.

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

Nick Foles QBR is lower than Wentz

First way to miss the point it isn't a Wentz / Foles question and second according to NFL.com and ESPN, Foles' QBR for the season is 81, Wentz' is 72.8.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

First way to miss the point it isn't a Wentz / Foles question and second according to NFL.com and ESPN, Foles' QBR for the season is 81, Wentz' is 72.8.

That is rating, which is correct, I was referencing QBR, different stat.  And yes, it is not a Foles Wentz debate, but you said worst QB in the league, just using a name we all know showing that he is not.

image.thumb.png.b42844a46a3119b07b917a00bcb6a921.png

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

That is rating, which is correct, I was referencing QBR, different stat.  And yes, it is not a Foles Wentz debate, but you said worst QB in the league, just using a name we all know showing that he is not.

image.thumb.png.b42844a46a3119b07b917a00bcb6a921.png

I don't believe QBR is an effective metric on small sample sizes.  I like QBR but I think it tells a better picture with a larger sample size.

For example, a QB could have a bad streak of 3-4 games, gets pulled and his QBR is in the toilet...vs a QB who played an entire season and had a string of "good games" mixed in...etc 

Same could be said for QB rating, to an extent. 

So I'm really not down on Wentz just because of his QBR and QB rating.  My bigger concern is to find out why....whether it's the coaching, players, etc or mostly his mechanics/decision making or a combination. 

6 hours ago, nipples said:

This. Get a good look at Hurts for these last four games and see what kind of potential he has going forward. 

If he looks decent but not great, then you go into camp with a fair QB competition next season. Whoever wins the job starts, period. 

If, and this is less likely, he absolutely plays fantastic out there and looks legit, then you have to seriously consider trying to trade Wentz and going with Hurts next year. I’ve been saying all year that Indy would likely be interest with Reich there to coach him. 

i just hope lurie isnt dumb enough to keep the coaching staff if hurts does give us wins because i know coaching staff and the gm doesnt get a free pass because it's the reason why we are below 500, there has to be accountability for that .

2 minutes ago, toughfighter83 said:

i just hope lurie isnt dumb enough to keep the coaching staff if hurts does give us wins because i know coaching staff and the gm doesnt get a free pass because it's the reason why we are below 500, there has to be accountability for that .

Still waiting for a response to my post the other day.

7 hours ago, devpool said:

Roll Hurts the rest of the season, we aren't winning anything anyway. Let Wentz sit and reflect, then work on his game in the off-season and come back next year and hopefully make this the only awful season he ever has.

If this had happened earlier in the season, when it should have, I would have said one game was enough for wentz to sit and learn his lesson. But since they waited until the end of the season, might as well just sit him the rest of the way. 

I think watching from the sidelines will do wentz a lot of good. It's too bad they didn't do it earlier and maybe he could have figured something out. Not a complete turnaround but not playing like complete dog crap every single game either.

Completely agree with this. He should have been benched long time ago for his own good. Hoping that by now he could have reset and play at the level we know he can. 

But it didn't happen, now the season is over and it's better to see what we have in Hurts. 

7 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Peters should be cut, hell give him a retirement presentation pre game if you like, but every day he's on this roster is a day Doug is tempted to take another look at him at guard.

Just like when Peters told Doug he would play tackle I think Peters tells Doug if he’s going to play or not. No one tells Peters what to do on this team. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

He should have been fired 

7 hours ago, time2rock said:

Exactly where I am as well.  Play Hurts for the remainder of 2020.  He isn't going to lead us to the playoffs ... this year is shot anyway ... but the experience will be invaluable for him.  That also gives Carson some time to reflect, learn, and work on his shortcomings without having all the pressure he has had on himself.  Then next offseason let the two engage in an open and fair competition.  Like you said ... may the best man win.  

Yeah I originally thought the same as you. Let them fight it our next season, but the truth is I think the damage is too far gone. This coach and Wentz are pretty much over. What happens if Hurts actually plays well? Does that really mean he needs to fight for the job next season? Also whoever wins the job will basically be looking over their shoulder all year and the first sign of trouble will spark a QB controversy. Money and not performance will dictate who plays and we saw this season despite given many assurances by the organization Carson can’t handle a backup with credentials on the roster. The Eagles have opened their own Pandora’s Box here they can never close and act like it didn’t happen. I blame Howie mostly for this mess, because he drafted Hurts (thinking he was smarter than everyone else again) and was clueless to the fact this all was inevitable. There’s no turning back now. The only salvageable way out is to either give Wentz back the job and just keep him the starter despite how he plays or trade Wentz this off-season. If you have 2 quarterbacks then you have zero quarterbacks. Hurts and Wentz can not coexist anymore than Wentz and Pederson can. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ace Nova said:

I don't believe QBR is an effective metric on small sample sizes.  I like QBR but I think it tells a better picture with a larger sample size.

For example, a QB could have a bad streak of 3-4 games, gets pulled and his QBR is in the toilet...vs a QB who played an entire season and had a string of "good games" mixed in...etc 

Same could be said for QB rating, to an extent. 

So I'm really not down on Wentz just because of his QBR and QB rating.  My bigger concern is to find out why....whether it's the coaching, players, etc or mostly his mechanics/decision making or a combination. 

No matter how you slice it that’s just a whole lot of suckage. The guys who Carson is above on that list aren’t close to what anyone would consider a "franchise quarterback.” They’re all basically backups being thrust into positions to play. The worst part is Carson played more games than all of them and basically sucked longer than all of them. This is more damaging to the idea that "all Carson needs is new coaches and he’s going to be great again.” These same coaches got the worst guy on the list (Foles) to win a Super bowl and the following year to win a playoff game. Carson clearly has bigger issues than just some new guy in his face telling him to throw it better. 

• Like 1

morale plays a big factor in sports,  it shouldnt be about wentz or hurts, it's about the team. if the team isnt all in with wentz, then there's no point in playing him because it's causing poor morale in the locker room and more losing along the way. if they want to play for hurts you play him because it means they are buying in with him. chemistry so important in sports, it's not just about talent and not focusing on one player, it's the team. siding with a player over a team morale is a recipe for disaster.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

The guys who Carson is above on that list aren’t close to what anyone would consider a "franchise quarterback.” This is more damaging to the idea that "all Carson needs is new coaches and he’s going to be great again.” These same coaches got the worst guy on the list (Foles) to win a Super bowl and the following year to win a playoff game. Carson clearly has bigger issues than just some new guy in his face telling him to throw it better. 

Good point.  

50 minutes ago, toughfighter83 said:

morale plays a big factor in sports,  it shouldnt be about wentz or hurts, it's about the team. if the team isnt all in with wentz, then there's no point in playing him because it's causing poor morale in the locker room and more losing along the way. if they want to play for hurts you play him because it means they are buying in with him. chemistry so important in sports, it's not just about talent and not focusing on one player, it's the team. siding with a player over a team morale is a recipe for disaster.

Howie blew this when he drafted Hurts. He opened the door for it to seem like they Eagles aren’t completely committed to Wentz. Now you have veterans calling out coaches and Howie. It’s a dysfunctional mess now and it’s all on Howie. Wentz, this coach, and Hurts can no longer coexist. Howie needs to be fired. No more him just doing contracts. He needs to be out of the building and a new football guy brought in. They also need to decide to choose Wentz or Pederson and Hurts. Wentz and Pederson are pretty much done, and Wentz and Hurts will lead to bad looker room cohesion. If they keep Wentz then both Doug and Hurts need to go. If they go with Hurts they could still move on from Doug, but Wentz needs to go. 

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

Yeah I originally thought the same as you. Let them fight it our next season, but the truth is I think the damage is too far gone. This coach and Wentz are pretty much over. What happens if Hurts actually plays well? Does that really mean he needs to fight for the job next season? Also whoever wins the job will basically be looking over their shoulder all year and the first sign of trouble will spark a QB controversy. Money and not performance will dictate who plays and we saw this season despite given many assurances by the organization Carson can’t handle a backup with credentials on the roster. The Eagles have opened their own Pandora’s Box here they can never close and act like it didn’t happen. I blame Howie mostly for this mess, because he drafted Hurts (thinking he was smarter than everyone else again) and was clueless to the fact this all was inevitable. There’s no turning back now. The only salvageable way out is to either give Wentz back the job and just keep him the starter despite how he plays or trade Wentz this off-season. If you have 2 quarterbacks then you have zero quarterbacks. Hurts and Wentz can not coexist anymore than Wentz and Pederson can. 

Here’s the thing.  It’s extremely likely we are stuck with Wentz next year (minimally) anyway due to cap considerations, so why not try to work with him to get him back to a respectable level.  Meanwhile if Pederson is let go (decent chance) then you have a whole new coaching staff to work with Wentz.

3 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Here’s the thing.  It’s extremely likely we are stuck with Wentz next year (minimally) anyway due to cap considerations, so why not try to work with him to get him back to a respectable level.  Meanwhile if Pederson is let go (decent chance) then you have a whole new coaching staff to work with Wentz.

The only saving grace to even want to try and work with Wentz would only be if Hurts fails miserably. If Hurts plays well you can’t give the job back to Carson. Also Doug didn’t draft Hurts the Eagles did and forced this situation onto everyone involved. There’s already a clear rift in the locker room that is spilling out in interviews. The bottom line is they either commit to Carson or they don’t. I don’t see how they can keep Hurts and Wentz unless Hurts looks 100 times worse than Carson has. Then he’s just a terrible pick I guess. Either way whatever happens Howie Roseman needs to be fired.