Kelce has a message: Play to Win! Period.

Hawkeye

For everyone who thinks the Eagles should tank the rest of the season for draft picks or should "play the young guys", here's what Jason Kelce has to say:

"At all times in the NFL, the focus should be winning the football game,” center Jason Kelce said. "Nothing else takes precedence, no player evaluation, no amount of curiosity from anybody within the organization. …

"Nothing takes precedence over trying to win a football game. I don’t care who you’re trying to evaluate. I don’t care if you’ve lost every game, you’re 0-15, and it’s the last one you’ve got. Everything is about winning in this league, and I know that that won’t appease a lot of people out there who always want to talk about getting good draft positions or getting looks at certain guys to see what you’ve got for the future.”

I agree completely.  The division title is still within reach and if they get in, anything can happen. Plus the intrinsic value of competing is winning vs. losing.  I just don't get the "fans" who want the team to lose for any reason...
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

For everyone who thinks the Eagles should tank the rest of the season for draft picks or should "play the young guys", here's what Jason Kelce has to say:

"At all times in the NFL, the focus should be winning the football game,” center Jason Kelce said. "Nothing else takes precedence, no player evaluation, no amount of curiosity from anybody within the organization. …

"Nothing takes precedence over trying to win a football game. I don’t care who you’re trying to evaluate. I don’t care if you’ve lost every game, you’re 0-15, and it’s the last one you’ve got. Everything is about winning in this league, and I know that that won’t appease a lot of people out there who always want to talk about getting good draft positions or getting looks at certain guys to see what you’ve got for the future.”

I agree completely.  The division title is still within reach and if they get in, anything can happen. Plus the intrinsic value of competing is winning vs. losing.  I just don't get the "fans" who want the team to lose for any reason...

Totally agree. Organizational & team culture is more important than draft position. Kelce is stewarding a winning tradition that is under stress right now but needs to be in place if and when a more talented team is put on the field. There was a lot of talk about Miami tanking when they were shedding good players last year and they ended the season strong and in 1 year turned it around. I would analyze this as a strategy to reinstill a winning culture more than gaming draft position. You look at a team like the Jets and you see players like Adams who want to win getting out of Dodge. They have a losing culture. That said, if there is one thing Chip Kelly proved during his time with the Birds its that the NFL is a talent-based league. It's not college with 80 interchangeable pieces where "the greatest ability is availability." What a dumbflock. It's the GMs job to put the most talent on the field and this is related to draft position but more so to talent evaluation. The Birds have not done a good job evaluating players in the draft. Seems like Howies "I'm smarter than everyone and I see special secret qualities in players" works better in the later rounds. This is clearly something that needs to be addressed if he is to continue to be GM.

Kelce is talking from a player perspective.  He's correct there.  Players will never "tank".

Other people like the coaches, front office, and fans may have more long term priorities, which is perfectly fine too.  

Everyone's interests aren't perfectly aligned here.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Hawkeye said:

Agreed completely- it sickens me that some people would prefer that Hurts sucks so we get a shot at Chase, rather than give us a bright future and a shot at the playoffs.

• Like 1

Sorry I didn't see this before posting my Jason Kelce Appreciation thread.  Mods please feel free to merge, my bad.

Playing for draft picks were the Wentz Washers trying to cover for Wentz

23 minutes ago, ManchesterEagle said:

Agreed completely- it sickens me that some people would prefer that Hurts sucks so we get a shot at Chase, rather than give us a bright future and a shot at the playoffs.

I think you can have Hurts play well and still lose games. We just lost 4 in a row before this last win so its not like we were not "tanking" already. why win a few meaningless games at the end of the season when you couldn't do anything the rest of the season? You don't want a culture of losing? how about not going 4-8-1?? we already are a culture of losing this season and you are fulish to think otherwise. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jblah said:

I think you can have Hurts play well and still lose games. We just lost 4 in a row before this last win so its not like we were not "tanking" already. why win a few meaningless games at the end of the season when you couldn't do anything the rest of the season? You don't want a culture of losing? how about not going 4-8-1?? we already are a culture of losing this season and you are fulish to think otherwise. 

A bad season is not a "culture of losing".  The Bengals have a culture of losing.  So does Jacksonville.  This isn't that.

• Like 1

Kelce may not even be here next season. His opinion is his own but it shouldn't align with fans

Losing out helps the future of the team

And for the hateful ones... the QB can still play well and the team lose out. wanting to lose out doesn't mean we want Hurts to fail. You're just trying to make up crap.

So start winning.. & not 12 games into the season. If youre losing chances are its because your squadmates stink. 

So now fans want the draft picks Because yall stink. Thats just my opinion.

Yawn...Dolphins disagree. 

All the fluff and rah-rah bs changes nothing when the roster is a black hole of talent.

Argument has the same merits as "gotta get Wentz playoff experiencezzzzz" How's that run at the end of last season working out?

Get real and rebuild in the most advantageous way possible instead of living in a world of rainbows and unicorns.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

A bad season is not a "culture of losing".  The Bengals have a culture of losing.  So does Jacksonville.  This isn't that.

i think that is where a change of coaching can help change the culture. if you know for sure you are not going with Peterson next year...should tank now (probably fire peterson). its not going to start a culture of losing when you are replacing a coach imo.

11 minutes ago, jblah said:

i think that is where a change of coaching can help change the culture. if you know for sure you are not going with Peterson next year...should tank now (probably fire peterson). its not going to start a culture of losing when you are replacing a coach imo.

chip still got canned even though we were winning games, im thinking it was more lurie that wanted hurts in there and the rumors of doug wanting out and lurie frustrated with the front office, i seriously doubt he's going to go 180 and keep everyone, if it's that toxic, regardless of winning, i still think he's sticking with the plan of making changes because of the way this season went and possibly doug didnt want to bench carson.

6 minutes ago, toughfighter83 said:

chip still got canned even though we were winning games, im thinking it was more lurie that wanted hurts in there and the rumors of doug wanting out and lurie frustrated with the front office, i seriously doubt he's going to go 180 and keep everyone, if it's that toxic, regardless of winning, i still think he's sticking with the plan of making changes because of the way this season went and possibly doug didnt want to bench carson.

then why not get rid of Doug now and give Duce a chance to be a HC for a bit and see how he does? well probably should have done that a bit earlier. 

Why I loved the Buddy Ryan years. If weren't going to make the playoffs was at least going to play hard and hope to be the spoiler...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ManchesterEagle said:

54 minutes ago, jblah said:

then why not get rid of Doug now and give Duce a chance to be a HC for a bit and see how he does? well probably should have done that a bit earlier. 

probably because duce isnt the answer either, i dont think lurie wants him to be the head coach, he wants to bring in a new coach, that has playcalling experience and what fits both qbs asssuming wentz is still here. it's probably going to be the offensive coordinator from kc.

2 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Remember Kelce being all rah rah about Andy when his time was up?  He was all defensive of AR and basically made it sound like the fans have no clue what they are talking about.  Yeah, good times.  

The fans want what they think is best for the team including long term. Players care about wins now.  Stats now. They dont know when their last play will be.  Once When players look back on 2020 they dont want to see 3-4 wins when it could have been 5-6 wins. 

Kelce is blowing off fans who are looking to next season.  Expected.  But he should at least understand fans are trying to think bigger picture here. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

I agree completely.  The division title is still within reach and if they get in, anything can happen. 

Like a first round drubbing. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

He has every right to say that, as a current player on an NFL roster.

But as a fan of this franchise, I completely disagree with him. 

• Like 2

I love Kelce and will never say anything bad about him. Forever legend maybe fav since Dawk.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, What The F said:

Like a first round drubbing. 

Or like winning it all.  Ya gotta be in it to win it.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, toughfighter83 said:

probably because duce isnt the answer either, i dont think lurie wants him to be the head coach, he wants to bring in a new coach, that has playcalling experience and what fits both qbs asssuming wentz is still here. it's probably going to be the offensive coordinator from kc.

I was thinking that a few weeks ago..

• Like 1