Rashod Bateman (Minnesota WR) -- DRAFTED BY BALTIMORE #27

Ray75

2 hours ago, Ace Nova said:

That would be exceptional speed for what he does and his skill set.

I was just coming in to post that.  I like Chase and Pitts quite a bit but man I really like Bateman.  Almost hoping we go Pitts with 6 and pray Bateman falls to 37 and we grab him there.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/02/27/rashod-bateman-runs-a-sub-4-4-40-yard-dash-at-exos-combine/

I think we should trade down between 9-13 and pick bateman. He could be just what we're looking for.

11 minutes ago, Right4thePicking said:

I think we should trade down between 9-13 and pick bateman. He could be just what we're looking for.

Even though I said we should target him after a trade down a couple of months ago, I believe Bateman will wind up a late first rounder now. He could even slip into the second but that’s not a gimme.

In a lot of ways, he’s the Justin Jefferson of this class meaning he won’t crack the top 3 receivers and likely will wind up the 4th receiver taken in the 20’s. 

Very underrated prospect IMO.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

Even though I said we should target him after a trade down a couple of months ago, I believe Bateman will wind up a late first rounder now. He could even slip into the second but that’s not a gimme.

In a lot of ways, he’s the Justin Jefferson of this class meaning he won’t crack the top 3 receivers and likely will wind up the 4th receiver taken in the 20’s. 

Very underrated prospect IMO.

I agree, I think 9-13 is too high for Bateman.  If we moved down to the 20s then sure.  While I'd love to grab him with 37 if we passed on Chase, I just don't think he makes it that far.  Probably my 3rd favorite offensive prospect after Chase and Pitts.  

• Like 1

Depending on a trade down and how far back, I need the return to be a 2 or an early 3 as well as the other teams pick... problem is how far Bateman slides, he could be gone by even our original 2nd. I would go CB then WR, then LB or OL with the 2 seconds if we were able to grab that return.

1st   Surtain, Horn or Farley 

2nd  Bateman or Toney

2nd or early 3rd  Moses or Eichenburg/ Myers 

2 hours ago, Breeze 44 said:

Depending on a trade down and how far back, I need the return to be a 2 or an early 3 as well as the other teams pick... problem is how far Bateman slides, he could be gone by even our original 2nd. I would go CB then WR, then LB or OL with the 2 seconds if we were able to grab that return.

2nd  Bateman or Toney

We could either trade down to 12th or so and then pick Bateman there.  (He's not lasting much past 20th overall in the 1st). 0% chance he lasts until the 2nd

Or we could trade back and trade back into the 1st to secure Bateman.  So trade down a few times to around 15or so.  Then use the picks we traded down to trade back into the 1st and secure 2 1st round picks just later 1st round picks (past the 12th or so) and get Bateman and another player in the 1st.

3 hours ago, Ace Nova said:

We could either trade down to 12th or so and then pick Bateman there.  (He's not lasting much past 20th overall in the 1st). 0% chance he lasts until the 2nd

Thing is do they trade back and take Bateman rather than taking a potentially better WR in Chase or Smith? Or even Pitts? It's a tough one but I don't think Howie can get this one wrong. 

15 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Thing is do they trade back and take Bateman rather than taking a potentially better WR in Chase or Smith? Or even Pitts? It's a tough one but I don't think Howie can get this one wrong. 

I may be biased because I like Bateman the most out of all WR's in this draft.  I think Bateman will likely be the best WR out of the 2021 draft at the NFL level.

If Bateman were to play in Alabama's program, how much better would of his stats been? Likely comparable to Smith's, imo.  Same thing if he played at LSU, with Burrow....I have little doubt Bateman would have put up similar numbers as Justin Jefferson and Chase. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ace Nova said:

I may be biased because I like Bateman the most out of all WR's in this draft.  I think Bateman will likely be the best WR out of the 2021 draft at the NFL level.

If Bateman were to play in Alabama's program, how much better would of his stats been? Likely comparable to Smith's, imo.  Same thing if he played at LSU, with Burrow....I have little doubt Bateman would have put up similar numbers as Justin Jefferson and Chase. 

Yes, after digging beneath the surface, unless chase or Pennei is available I would trade down. But regardless of where they're picked I would want to come out of this draft with either bateman or the kid from Florida State at wr, then collins at lber, and andre Cisco at safety.

• Like 1

If both Pitts and Chase are there when #6 comes,  trade back to about 8/9, and get a 2nd.  Take whichever one is there at 8/9.  Then package that 2nd along with the 3rd from Indy to move back into the 1st in the 20-27 range and take this kid.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ace Nova said:

I mean hey if they could trade down, pick up some extra picks and get Bateman... And then Bateman does go on to be the best WR from this draft then that would be an incredible outcome for this team.

Bateman has had issues with drops during his college career. I don't want to blame the QB, but he wasn't good. Still, a drop is a drop. In every other way, he checks all the boxes. I am as hesitant about WR's with drop problems as I am about the physicality of PAC-12 players. They both give me pause because they both can be serious and significant liabilities. I want to like Bateman as a trade back 1st round selection, but I think it's really rolling the dice. I'm not sure this team can afford a big gamble in round 1. I'd rather stay put and take Chase or Pitts.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

Bateman has had issues with drops during his college career. I don't want to blame the QB, but he wasn't good. Still, a drop is a drop. In every other way, he checks all the boxes. I am as hesitant about WR's with drop problems as I am about the physicality of PAC-12 players. They both give me pause because they both can be serious and significant liabilities. I want to like Bateman as a trade back 1st round selection, but I think it's really rolling the dice. I'm not sure this team can afford a big gamble in round 1. I'd rather stay put and take Chase or Pitts.

Yeah, I agree with PoconoDon. Our team's history of drafting WRs is abysmal and we got lucky in 2008-2009 with DeSean Jackson and Jeremy Maclin. Outside of those two, the 2000s and 2010s have been rough when it comes to the Eagles drafting WRs. Lots of early picks wasted on outright busts (Freddie Mitchell, Todd Pinkston, JJ Arcega Whiteside) or JAGs (Nelson Agholor, Jordan Matthews, Reggie Brown).

There are two (three if you include Jaylen Waddle) opportunities to draft a blue chip WR prospect from either LSU or Alabama, both programs with track records of producing stud NFL WRs the last several years. Just make the chalk pick and move on.

The one scenario that could get interesting is if Smith, Chase, and Sewell are off the board and the team debates between TE Kyle Pitts from Florida and Jaylen Waddle at 6. I can see Pitts getting the edge based on his size as a prototypical XWR despite being listed at TE, even though Florida doesn't have the same reputation at developing stud WRs as Alabama.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

IF we are going to go WR in the 1st, I probably wouldn’t mind trading down a few spots ... maybe with Minny who picks 14 ... and grabbing Bateman there.  He has been my 2nd favorite WR in this class.  Grab Minny’s 4th and their 2022 3rd in the process.  Then hopefully Howie can trade one of our 4ths for another 2022 3rd.  That way we still have 11 picks this year and just added 2 day 2 picks in 2022.  

But at this time I’m leaning toward taking the best CB at 12 (assuming one of either Surtain or Horn are there if not both to choose from).  

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

IF we are going to go WR in the 1st, I probably wouldn’t mind trading down a few spots ... maybe with Minny who picks 14 ... and grabbing Bateman there.  He has been my 2nd favorite WR in this class.  Grab Minny’s 4th and their 2022 3rd in the process.  Then hopefully Howie can trade one of our 4ths for another 2022 3rd.  That way we still have 11 picks this year and just added 2 day 2 picks in 2022.  

But at this time I’m leaning toward taking the best CB at 12 (assuming one of either Surtain or Horn are there if not both to choose from).  

You think 14 is right for him? I'm a fan as well but I've been seeing late 1st/early 2nd for him.

1 hour ago, NJWolverEagle11 said:

You think 14 is right for him? I'm a fan as well but I've been seeing late 1st/early 2nd for him.

Most mocks I’ve seen he goes mid 1st to early 20s.  Heck if we could get him instead with a slight trade up from 37 I’m all aboard.  

• Like 1

On 3/31/2021 at 12:25 AM, time2rock said:

Most mocks I’ve seen he goes mid 1st to early 20s.  Heck if we could get him instead with a slight trade up from 37 I’m all aboard.  

Slight trade back in the first? Or maybe a slight trade up to get him. I like it. 

• Like 1

On 2/28/2021 at 6:56 AM, time2rock said:

I agree, I think 9-13 is too high for Bateman.  If we moved down to the 20s then sure.  While I'd love to grab him with 37 if we passed on Chase, I just don't think he makes it that far.  Probably my 3rd favorite offensive prospect after Chase and Pitts.  

20 is the lowest I would go. Bateman does the little things really well.

On 3/30/2021 at 4:51 PM, time2rock said:

My gut says no lower than 15.

20 minutes ago, Right4thePicking said:

My gut says no lower than 15.

It's a tricky one for sure. I'm not sure Bateman goes in the top 15 but I mean I also wouldn't be shocked if he does. 

On 2/28/2021 at 9:15 AM, Breeze 44 said:

2nd  Bateman or Toney

Bateman won't be there in the second.

Just now, Right4thePicking said:

Bateman won't be there in the second.

No definitely not. He's a bottom half of the first round guy I think. The top WRs likely go top half of the first and then there's bound to be a team in the bottom half that take him. 

3 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

No definitely not. He's a bottom half of the first round guy I think. The top WRs likely go top half of the first and then there's bound to be a team in the bottom half that take him. 

He's the type of guy pittsburgh gets and flourishes.  To think of it this is a pittsburgh heaven draft. Safety, lber, wr, and a hush hush qb.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Right4thePicking said:

He's the type of guy pittsburgh gets and flourishes.  To think of it this is a pittsburgh heaven draft. Safety, lber, wr, and a hush hush qb.

Oh god yeah you're right. Mind you will Pittsburgh invest another high pick on a WR? I feel like they regularly invest first 3 round picks on WRs?