Say Goodbye to These 10 Eagles After 2020 Season

time2rock

Say goodbye to these 10 Eagles after 2020 season

The Eagles’ season ends Sunday and so will the Eagles careers of at least 20 members of the 2020 team, if history is any indication.

Who will be playing their final game in an Eagles uniform? Who should Eagles fans be saying goodbye to this weekend?

Here are 10 guys who likely won’t be back in 2021 for various reasons.

Although some of these moves aren’t cap related, moving on from the ones who are under contract for 2021 would provide the Eagles more than $20 million in cap relief.
BY REUBEN FRANK - 
13H AGO
JERRY HABRAKEN/THE NEWS JOURNAL

JJ Arcega Whiteside

J.J. Arcega-Whiteside

Jeff Hanisch/USA Today Images
1 / 10

The Eagles aren’t even pretending anymore that last year’s second-round pick is a part of their future. J.J. Arcega-Whiteside played 72 snaps the first three games but only 38 the last 12 games, and he hasn’t even gotten on the field since Week 8.

The 57th pick in last year’s draft has just 12 catches in two seasons, just two this year. On track to become the Eagles’ worst second-round pick since Bruce Walker in 1994.

JJAW is two years into a rookie deal, and cutting him would clear a small amount of cap space — about $540,000.

Genard Avery

Genard Avery

Geoff Burke/USA Today Images
2 / 10

Last year’s trade deadline move cost the Eagles a valuable fourth-round pick and generated very little in terms of production. Genard Avery has played just 137 defensive snaps in a year and a half, picking up 1½ sacks and making six tackles. He’s played defense in only two of the last nine games and then only because the Eagles were desperate as a result of injuries.

Avery has a $920,000 cap figure next year but no dead money if he’s released because he was acquired in a trade and the Eagles never gave him a bonus.

Corey Clement

Corey Clement

Mark J. Rebilas/USA Today Images
3 / 10

Corey Clement will be an unrestricted free agent, and the 2017 Super Bowl hero has been reduced to almost exclusively a special teamer lately. The Eagles kept Jason Huntley on the roster all year, and they’ve kept Adrian Killins and Elijah Holyfield around as well.

I don’t think it’s a lock that he’s not back, but I think Clement would prefer finding a home where he can have at least some role in offense. No dead money because he’s a free agent.

ADVERTISEMENT

Vinny Curry

Vinny Curry

Bill Streicher/USA Today Images
4 / 10

Vinny Curry has been a loyal Eagle over the years, an important member of the 2017 Super Bowl team and is still a decent rotational pass rusher in his ninth season (and eighth with the Eagles), but he’ll be 33 this summer and at some point the Eagles have to move on and get younger. Curry is an unrestricted free agent so no dead money.

Zach Ertz

Zach Ertz

Mark J. Rebilas/USA Today Images
5 / 10

It’s been a bizarre season for Zach Ertz, starting with him going public with his contract frustration, then struggling to catch passes early, then missing five games with an injury. He’s got only 33 catches for 319 yards and one TD going into the season finale and saw his Pro Bowl streak end at three straight.

He’s a Super Bowl hero, a future Eagles Hall of Famer and only 31 catches shy of Harold Carmichael’s franchise record. But with Dallas Goedert’s emergence and Ertz’s contract situation, a trade wouldn’t surprise anybody.

If the Eagles ship Ertz, it would clear nearly $5 million in cap space, the difference between his $12.48 cap figure and the $7.77 in dead money the Eagles would take on.

Nate Gerry

Nate Gerry
James Lang/USA Today Images
6 / 10

We haven’t seen Nate Gerry since he went on IR with an injured back in October, and we likely won’t ever see him again. Gerry is an unrestricted free agent, and it’s hard to imagine any way he fits into the Eagles’ future, especially considering the way Alex Singleton has played. UFA so zero cap hit. 

Alshon Jeffery

Alshon Jeffery

Bill Streicher/USA Today Images
7 / 10

Alshon Jeffery’s contract finally arrives at a spot where the dead money is less than the cap hit. In fact, cutting Jeffery would clear out nearly $8 million in cap space, the difference between his whopping $18.49 million 2021 cap figure and the $10.51 in dead money he would count.

The Eagles have a stable of young, cap-friendly WRs and it’s clearly time to move on.

DeSean Jackson

DeSean Jackson
Jerry Habraken/The News Journal
8 / 10

Everything we just said about Alshon Jeffery applies to DeSean Jackson. He’s had a fantastic Eagles career and is still a home run threat, as we saw Sunday. But age, the constant injuries and the contract make it impossible to bring him back.

D-Jack has a $10.93 cap figure in 2021 and would count $5.8 million in dead money, so that’s a $5.1 million cap savings. The only way he’s back is if he agrees to a massive pay cut.

Malik Jackson

Malik Jackson
Kyle Terada/USA Today Images
9 / 10

Malik Jackson arrived as a big-time free agent signing but it never really worked out. He missed nearly all of last year with an injury and although he showed some flashes the first half of this year, it hasn’t been nearly enough to warrant the money he’s due next year. He had 1½ sacks and 11 QB hits the first six games of the year but no sacks and just one QB hit the last eight.

Jackson is scheduled to earn $9 million next year plus a $1 million roster bonus and carries a $13.61 million cap hit or $12.6 million in dead money. A million bucks isn’t huge savings, but it’s something, and with Fletcher Cox and Javon Hargrave both back, it would make sense to move on from Jackson.

Matt Pryor

Matt Pryor
Kyle Terada/USA Today Images
10 / 10

The Eagles hoped Matt Pryor would become another Big V, capable of filling in at either guard or tackle spot, but it hasn’t worked out that way. Pryor has been a liability wherever he’s played and with Lane Johnson, Jack Driscoll, Andre Dillard and Jordan Mailata all due back next year and some young depth inside as well, there's no reason to bring Pryor back. Plus, cutting him provides a small amount of cap relief — about $920,000.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/say-goodbye-these-10-eagles-players-after-2020-season

• Like 1

Peters should have been on that list too (since it does include other impending FAs).

• Like 3

JJAW can't get off this roster fast enough. F that eternal loser and the slow incompetent horse he rode in on.

• Like 3

If DJax is costing us $5.8m in dead money aren’t they better off renegotiating his contract to a 1 year $5m type deal. I’d rather pay him $5m to play for the Eagles than $5.8m to play for another team. I’m sure he’d be happy with that because no other team will pay him that much. Seems like a win-win. 

So there it is   1) Caleb Farley-CB-VT 2- Chris Olave-WR-Ohio St  3-Deonte Brown-OG-Alabama 5-Jamir White-RB-Georgia 5- Jimmy Morrissey-C-Pitt 6-Micah McFadden-ILB-Indiana 7 Tommy Togai- DL3 tech-Ohio St      UDFA Zac Thomas-QB-Appalachian St          Call Lurie,I got this HAHAHAHA   Replace them all with these guys

• Like 3

Yep. I have to wonder if other aging vets like Cox and Graham will be released/traded?

Depending on the cap hit we could get a 3 for Johnson.  Hopefully still a 4 for Ertz, Maybe a 4 or 5 for Brooks.  Imagine we keep Cox & Graham unless they want to end their careers with a good team having a shot at a SB.  We should keep Curry around for 2 mil a year.

5 hours ago, Road to Victory said:

If DJax is costing us $5.8m in dead money aren’t they better off renegotiating his contract to a 1 year $5m type deal.  I’d rather pay him $5m to play 3 games for the Eagles than $5.8m to play 3 games for another team. 

FYP

I wouldn't mind restructuring both Jacksons on this list since their cap hit vs savings are basically a wash. Everyone else here and then some not mentioned can hit the road.

On 12/30/2020 at 2:01 PM, GreenbleedinNC said:

So there it is   1) Caleb Farley-CB-VT 2- Chris Olave-WR-Ohio St  3-Deonte Brown-OG-Alabama 5-Jamir White-RB-Georgia 5- Jimmy Morrissey-C-Pitt 6-Micah McFadden-ILB-Indiana 7 Tommy Togai- DL3 tech-Ohio St      UDFA Zac Thomas-QB-Appalachian St          Call Lurie,I got this HAHAHAHA   Replace them all with these guys

Zamir White from Scotland Co., they called him Zeus in high school. good kid. 

• Like 1

Article forgot to mention how Ertz has shown no effort this year(same thing Jackson did during his contract year years ago)

I didn't expect that from Ertz

I don't understand why the hell Gerry was on the field at all. Why'd it take so long to put Singleton on the field?

JJAW was literally stealing money

Peters was stealing money too

On 12/30/2020 at 7:04 PM, downundermike said:

FYP

I would rather he go away. I like our young crew. I want to add one(not in round 1) Once we do that we will be fairly well set at WR. All we need now is a freaking QB!!!!

6 hours ago, NCTANK said:

IDK we have SOOOO many issues. I don;t think we can cover them in all in the draft. My mock would HELP, but we have "inner issues" that need addressed.; Lurie needs to grow a pair and make some calls. After 2017,players would take LESS to come and play here. Now I doubt you can find anyone. Very sad and disappointing after FINALLY winning a SB on ONE freak play. It's very hard being an Eagles fan. We need to LOSE Sunday. We all have opinions,but I researched everyone on my mock. Decent mock IMO, but we fail on developing them. My first "draft pick" is to find the best S&D coach out there. If we can't keep guys on the field,the draft and FA does NOT matter. Injuries have been a annual problem FAR TOO long

6 hours ago, NCTANK said:

Love Sanders. Maybe someday we will actually play him(lol). Adding White as a RBBC would be a good move. We have our "stud", but he will never reach that status if we abandon the run as we have. Like Scott. He is an adequate BU/ fill in. White is a kid who can add something and in time,if need be take over if Sanders goes down.Dude can get you those 3rd and 2's in my view

I wouldn't be so sure that either Desean or Jeffrey are gone after this year. I think one or the other will be, I'm not sure that both will be gone though. Scary thought. 

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I wouldn't be so sure that either Desean or Jeffrey are gone after this year. I think one or the other will be, I'm not sure that both will be gone though. Scary thought. 

I hope not. After we paid them for virtually no stats, they actually should play for free lol. I'll put Fulgham on the field with Reagor and maybe a new draftee. Hightower can contribute, so can Ward. I see zero reason to pay either of them and I won't miss Jjaw either. Trade Ertz and see what we do about the QB situation, but I'm tired of overpaying old guys. JP used us badly and the FO fell for it, and I lost my respect for him and the idiot that thought he was worth it

6 minutes ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

I hope not. After we paid them for virtually no stats, they actually should play for free lol. I'll put Fulgham on the field with Reagor and maybe a new draftee. Hightower can contribute, so can Ward. I see zero reason to pay either of them and I won't miss Jjaw either. Trade Ertz and see what we do about the QB situation, but I'm tired of overpaying old guys. JP used us badly and the FO fell for it, and I lost my respect for him and the idiot that thought he was worth it

I think the WR situation is exactly why they may bring one of them back. I'm not saying I agree with it but I'm just saying I think they will. I mean right now Reagor hasn't looked special, certainly not a #1. Ward is solid and I agree Hightower and Watkins can contribute but that's it at WR. And they have no cap space to add a veteran. 

I don't see the upside to cutting Malik Jackson, he should be back.  Wouldn't be shocked to see DSJ accept whatever to stick around.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I think the WR situation is exactly why they may bring one of them back. I'm not saying I agree with it but I'm just saying I think they will. I mean right now Reagor hasn't looked special, certainly not a #1. Ward is solid and I agree Hightower and Watkins can contribute but that's it at WR. And they have no cap space to add a veteran. 

IDK bro, it's hard to be a #1 WR, #3WR, or much else when you don't have a QB, which is yet another reason NOT to pay someone. We have guys on rooks contracts and we also have a year of Goodwin who we got on the cheap available to us if we want to exercise that. So until I see some production from my passing offense,I wouldn't invest a dime in it other than adding another nice rook(as I have in round 2, but pick your WR). Any round 2 WR SHOULD(yeah I know SHOULD) be capable of contributing year 1

1 hour ago, GreenbleedinNC said:

IDK bro, it's hard to be a #1 WR, #3WR, or much else when you don't have a QB, which is yet another reason NOT to pay someone. We have guys on rooks contracts and we also have a year of Goodwin who we got on the cheap available to us if we want to exercise that. So until I see some production from my passing offense,I wouldn't invest a dime in it other than adding another nice rook(as I have in round 2, but pick your WR). Any round 2 WR SHOULD(yeah I know SHOULD) be capable of contributing year 1

So you want production in your passing game but you aren't prepared to invest at the WR position?

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

So you want production in your passing game but you aren't prepared to invest at the WR position?

I already invested in draft picks there and would do so again,so I am investing without spending. I didn't say I wouldn't invest,  I said I would not invest (spend) a dime lol. We have Reagor ,Fulgham didn't cost alot, we basically have Goodwin already signed and he wasn't expensive. We have Hightower, Ward and a new draftee(or I want one more in the draft), so yep show me some production from that crew. Why would I spend money for the little production I got from them(Djax and Alshon)? We basically paid out millions to Djax and Alshon, and for WHAT???? If Wentz/Hurts were on, they would make my grandmother look good as a receiver(that's the point of having an "elite" QB)  

I would like to see the Eagles vs Alabama. I bet they would kick our arse

6 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

IDK the contract situation,we may be stuck with one, but it was up to me,nope I don't want them. Fulgham was playing good ball, thats why we took him out(if you figure that reasoning out please let me know)

The 2 top QB's are going at it now. A really SUPER showing by Fields would muck up the JAX pick lol. I knew ND would be outclassed by Bama, but they have some decent players of their own(I was especially watching their young TE's for future consideration by us)