Has Slay been the CB1 the Eagles wanted in 2020?

Road to Victory

On 12/30/2020 at 3:22 PM, Iggles25 said:

Needs a competent CB2 and safety alongside him. Some LBs that can cover would help too.

If the Eagles are smart Slay will be the CB2 after drafting Caleb Farley in the 1st.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

If the Eagles are smart Slay will be the CB2 after drafting Caleb Farley in the 1st.

That'd be awesome! Grab a playmaking safety like Moehrig or Cisco in the 2nd or 3rd and the secondary would look vastly improved.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

He has been alright but nothing great.  Hopefully with the new defensive scheme they will let Slay play more physically instead of this 10 yard off bs.  I think he is a much better corner when he plays physical.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2021 at 2:12 PM, xxeaglesfanxx said:

He has been alright but nothing great.  Hopefully with the new defensive scheme they will let Slay play more physically instead of this 10 yard off bs.  I think he is a much better corner when he plays physical.

Playing physical doesn't work out so well for corners these days.  Doesn't work out so well for anyone in the NFL lately.

On 1/8/2021 at 8:02 PM, Iggles25 said:

That'd be awesome! Grab a playmaking safety like Moehrig or Cisco in the 2nd or 3rd and the secondary would look vastly improved.

And we'd have the worst offense in the NFL with a secondary that is better, but still helpless against the game's top pass attacks.

• Like 1

On 12/30/2020 at 7:24 PM, eagle45 said:

Did Slay help?  Yes.

Was Slay the best DB on the team?  Yes.

Was the trade & sign worth it?  No.

Did Slay have the impact the Eagles expected?  No.

Did Slay have the impact that should have been expected of a soon-to-be 30 year old CB in a passing league that makes it impossible to shut down WR's?   Yes.

Will the value only get worse?  Yes.

I disagree. It totally showed that the other CBS we have don't belong on the field. Teams weren't throwing his way that much. DK was/is a beast. He made some insane catches. So I'll excuse Slay on him. Other issues were scheme. Gym Shorts liked to put square pegs in round holes.

I feel like Slay spent a lot of the season battling injuries. Seemed like every week he was leaving games early. He really missed games, but he spent a lot of time out of them. The Slay trade was basically two years too late. 

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

I feel like Slay spent a lot of the season battling injuries. Seemed like every week he was leaving games early. He really missed games, but he spent a lot of time out of them. The Slay trade was basically two years too late. 

It's really hard to say how good slay was or wasn't. He had moments where he looked the part of finally having a lock down corner and others where he got beat like a drum. He had 3 pro bowl nominations and and all pro in a row before coming here so I'll go bad year on a bad team with the eagles even though he had some really good moments with the eagles just not as consistently good as years prior. 

1 minute ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

It's really hard to say how good slay was or wasn't. He had moments where he looked the part of finally having a lock down corner and others where he got beat like a drum. He had 3 pro bowl nominations and and all pro in a row before coming here so I'll go bad year on a bad team with the eagles even though he had some really good moments with the eagles just not as consistently good as years prior. 

I don’t think Slay was terrible, but I don’t think he was a complete shutdown guy either. He was better than what we had and I guess that was something. He kept getting knocked out of games too and that was frustrating to keep seeing. Hopefully he has a bounce back season. Even though he was clearly better than whoever the Eagles put on the other side, a lot of quarterbacks didn’t seem to mind throwing at him anyway. It is a decent question posted by the OP, because I don’t think there is a simple answer here. 

2 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

I don’t think Slay was terrible, but I don’t think he was a complete shutdown guy either. He was better than what we had and I guess that was something. He kept getting knocked out of games too and that was frustrating to keep seeing. Hopefully he has a bounce back season. Even though he was clearly better than whoever the Eagles put on the other side, a lot of quarterbacks didn’t seem to mind throwing at him anyway. It is a decent question posted by the OP, because I don’t think there is a simple answer here. 

I agree it isn't, just a bad year over all though I don't know how you can really evaluate anyone . Slay even said he wasn't as good as he can be and took responsibility

3 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I agree it isn't, just a bad year over all though I don't know how you can really evaluate anyone . Slay even said he wasn't as good as he can be and took responsibility

He was nicked up a lot and he’s getting older. If they made the trade when they were rumored to have been discussing it around 2018 I think we would have gotten a different player. 

He was an above average CB1. Definitely not a top lock down CB but no slouch either.

Worth the contract and draft pick compensation? Probably not.

4 hours ago, Blazehound said:

He was an above average CB1. Definitely not a top lock down CB but no slouch either.

Worth the contract and draft pick compensation? Probably not.

I think in terms of the contract and draft pick compensation the value has been fine. He's been good, not really good. The issue to me is the process of trading for him. They did so because they had failed to draft a legit CB. They did so despite this team heading for a complete rebuild. Slay won't be contributing to any kind of competitive Eagles year.