ESPN: Doug Pederson to return as Eagles HC in 2021

D-Shiznit

Disappointing. Only hope is to get a creative offensive mind as OC. Doug's offenses are stale and boring with no player development. I guess much of the same in 2021.

45 minutes ago, manz2821 said:

Disappointing. Only hope is to get a creative offensive mind as OC. Doug's offenses are stale and boring with no player development. I guess much of the same in 2021.

Considering the talent Howie gives him, its no wonder.  His drafts have been so misguided, that this pain is not going away soon.

• Like 2

I assumed this was going to happen. 
I think next season will be Doug’s last trial in Philly, if he doesn’t bounce back Doug could likely be a mid season firing like Quinn in Atlanta. There won’t be any excuses for him anymore. Wentz I’m still unsure if he returns, I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s traded in March or still on the 2021 Eagles roster. I think Howie will be here until end of 2022 season at least. This isn’t something I’m hoping for, just what I perceive happening. He’s already lasted so long here I don’t know what will be final straw for Lurie.

This was the second easiest call of the off season after that of  Roseman also returning, which is a lock.          The usual noise will be made of 'adjusting' this or that, Roseman getting some 'help' with personnel decisions, etc., etc. - essentially, more band aids applied to a gigantic gash requiring surgery.

The old cliche of putting lipstick on a pig couldn't have a better example than what Lurie is about to do with this dumpster fire.           The one thing that is a stone guarantee is that the Roseman/Pederson regime will never again be successful, regardless how many "adjustments" are made by Lurie.         

When someone has been proven to be incompetent, as Roseman has regarding drafting and acquiring top end young talent to build around, you don't hire more people to 'help' them, you move on and find someone competent.          Until you do, the results will generally be the same.

I can more live with Pederson coming back, although I'd prefer to clean house and get a fresh start.      However, if he is retained, he must be permitted to sink or swim on his own, as in choosing his assistants and deciding who to play.         Any other setup is a recipe for disaster, and it will be a matter of when he's fired, not if.

I know there will be a ton of discussion here about how getting Roseman help with the draft or picking an OC for Pederson will fix things, but like I said earlier, it will be nothing more than lipstick on a pig until Lurie finds it within himself to part ways with two people he obviously has a lot of affection for, and who delivered the only SB this town has seen.             This is about as easy a prediction as you could ever make.

If they get a competent OC and Doug isn't calling ridiculous plays (like going for it on 4th and 15 when in FG position), then hopefully it won't turn out so bad.  That said, he is sucking all the life out of the offense with his uninspiring/lame ass play calling.

47 minutes ago, psychodog said:

If they get a competent OC and Doug isn't calling ridiculous plays (like going for it on 4th and 15 when in FG position), then hopefully it won't turn out so bad.  That said, he is sucking all the life out of the offense with his uninspiring/lame ass play calling.

i think that's the conditions that lurie put on doug to keep his job that he gives up the playcalling and gets an experience offensive coordinator because it was reported that there's going to be changes on his staff, sounds like he's agreed to do that.

I know he’s safe, but not sure I want him to be. Doug’s decision making sucks as bad as his play calling.  

35 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I know he’s safe, but not sure I want him to be. Doug’s decision making sucks as bad as his play calling.  

How can you be safe after that crap? Throw Sudfeld in when you have a chance at winning? Good lord he better be gone!

16 minutes ago, Cheesteakitis said:

How can you be safe after that crap? Throw Sudfeld in when you have a chance at winning? Good lord he better be gone!

He probably knew his job was safe before the game began.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, time2rock said:

Groh and Walch were safe last year too. :whistle:

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Groh and Walch were safe last year too. :whistle:

Yeah well that was on Doug.  This one would be on Lurie.  

19 minutes ago, time2rock said:

The sound from his presser, it sounds like he is confident he is back. He already has his week planned out with evaluations etc. I’m sure the Schwartz news will break this week though. 

2 hours ago, Maga301 said:

The sound from his presser, it sounds like he is confident he is back. He already has his week planned out with evaluations etc. I’m sure the Schwartz news will break this week though. 

I think he's probably known for a couple of weeks now. We may not agree with some of the decisions Lurie makes but I think one thing he understands is the need to give assurances. He knows that Doug’s voice carries more weight if he's been backed by his bosses. 

On 1/2/2021 at 6:27 PM, nipples said:

My only hope is that they at least make Wentz EARN the starting job. 

Well it won't be too hard if Hurts is his only competition will it?

10 minutes ago, greend said:

Well it won't be too hard if Hurts is his only competition will it?

I’m still optimistic on Hurts. He showed enough flashes as a rookie for me to have hope for him. Hell even with not having very good passing games in the last two, he STILL finished with a better passer rating than Wentz on the season. 

8 hours ago, time2rock said:

Exactly. If he thought he was coaching for his job half the roster wouldn’t have been inactive with minor bumps and bruises, and Sudfeld sure wouldn’t have seen the field. He knew his job was safe and it was all about evaluations of young players last night. 

30 minutes ago, nipples said:

Exactly. If he thought he was coaching for his job half the roster wouldn’t have been inactive with minor bumps and bruises, and Sudfeld sure wouldn’t have seen the field. He knew his job was safe and it was all about evaluations of young players last night. 

I think he knew he'd be playing Sudfeld for the 4th quarter even before the game started.  He was basically throwing Nate a bone knowing he'll be moving on after last night's game.  

14 hours ago, Cheesteakitis said:

Who cares about a game that's absolutely meaningless? If the players wanted to play for pride they should have started a hell of a lot earlier in the season.

Pederson has to consider the big picture. That means getting the best team together. If moving up a few picks in the draft gives them an edge, even
a slight one, he did the right thing for the team.

As for everyone whining that Howie will blow that pick, why not shut up until he does. Then the chorus will be deafeningly loud.
And if he nails it, you'd have saved yourelf a lot of unnecessary whining.

For all his big misses in the draft, he made a lot of interesting little hits. Let's not forget how many of our no name back-ups stepped in
and showed heart and talent against the Saints and Cards and other tough teams.

On 1/2/2021 at 2:48 PM, Green_Guinness said:

The only way I see this not being another dumpster fire clusterF ish show is if Lurie/Howie forced the O coaching changes and OC by committee on Doug and he convinced them that they were wrong about interfering and to let him pick his own staff and Doug understands he needs to find ONE good competent OC who is good at play design and will keep Doug honest in terms of more of a balance between the pass/run game.  

Great f'ing para-sentence!! 🙂

On 1/2/2021 at 3:05 PM, time2rock said:

mandates Doug focus on managing the team from a higher perspective and giving up control of the offense.  

I just heard DeShaun Waston speak of the Texans situation, he said he wanted a coach that can lead the team.

Then I thought about Doug, I imagined myself being in a team meeting with him and if his press conferences are any indication of how he runs his meeting I'd get thrown out of everyone because I wouldn't be able to stop laughing at his arse.......he doesn't speak like a leader.

Reports are now saying some players had to be physically restrained from getting to Doug Pederson.

Throwing the game is one thing but making it so blatantly obvious is another. Doug Pederson could have easily called some horrible plays for Hurts to make it look a little more believable.

This tank job might cause Doug to lose the locker room and his job. You cant lose the locker room and expect to be a good football team year after year

1 minute ago, philafan4o8 said:

Reports are now saying some players had to be physically restrained from getting to Doug Pederson.

Throwing the game is one thing but making it so blatantly obvious is another. Doug Pederson could have easily called some horrible plays for Hurts to make it look a little more believable.

This tank job might cause Doug to lose the locker room and his job. You cant lose the locker room and expect to be a good football team year after year

Yeah that report is already being reported as BS. They said it happened during the game, there are cameras everywhere and no such thing happened. 

If calling horrible plays is trying to tank then Doug has been tanking since game 1 lol

59 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Yeah that report is already being reported as BS. They said it happened during the game, there are cameras everywhere and no such thing happened. 

If calling horrible plays is trying to tank then Doug has been tanking since game 1 lol

Lol I agree with your last statement. The report I saw talked about it happening behind the scenes after the game. I would be more shocked if that didn’t happen.

• Like 1