EMB Blog: 2021 Offseason

Connecticut Eagle

I don't see COVID as an excuse for on field performance in 2020. Every team had to abide by the same rules and restrictions. If you couldn't adapt or found the lack of HFA so debilitating that it derailed your season, then tough s***.

The cap situation is a completely different story. I don't think it's fair to kill Howie (or the Saints, etc.) for being so far over the cap this offseason. But it's very fair to kill him for the quality of the roster taking up that cap space.

• Replies 66.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Boom

BFF47648-887E-4235-AFA2-D89C99BAF8E1.jpeg

They forgot to put the sticker on mine for my first, I wonder how much hassle it's going to be when I go for number 2

How come the one poster I have on ignore, his posts continue to pop up anyway? Anybody else have this problem?

1 hour ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Slay’s i am more curious to see what it looks like in 2023 

1 hour ago, bpac55 said:

Ist the BG one done?

Graham and Slay restructures not yet updated on OTC.

We currently have 73.3 million in cap room for 2022 with 39 players under contract.  That number is going to take a dent with these restructures.  

7 minutes ago, DumbleBear said:

I think you're wrong. We'll check back Next January. 

That's the entire sentiment. The team is terrible. Roseman has no idea what he's doing. This is Roman Gabriel all over again. 

Respectfully agree to disagree. 

Richie the K rides again ! 

You are really weird.

3 minutes ago, RLC said:

Not surprising. Lane on a bad ankle was still very good last year. OTs also age very well.

Just a reminder that an injured Lane Johnson was still putting DOPY candidates on their backs last year.

1 hour ago, RLC said:

It begins.

Slay is now on the 2022 roster. Hopefully it's not because of void years.

With the new TV money, I expect Howie to continue to play the void years game.  Now that Jason’s new child has arrived, I expect a restructuring on Kelce’s salary that almost has to include void years just like the ones for Cox and Graham will.   Probably something similar with Hargrave.  Barnett on an extension that converts most of his salary to signing bonus.  They need cap room not only for getting under the cap but also to extend Mailata and Goedert and sign rookies. That cap room may come from after the league year starts trades like Ertz.  Goals are to maximize cap savings this year and retain compensation for players like Ertz through trades, if possible.  

15 minutes ago, TorontoEagle said:

How come the one poster I have on ignore, his posts continue to pop up anyway? Anybody else have this problem?

I have the same problem.  One guy who contributes nothing Eagles related and still he shows up.

51 minutes ago, RememberTheKoy said:

What does that Slay restructure put us at cap wise including the recent cuts?  What do we have something $30M still to clear up? 

Just now, uncphillyfan said:

And Alshon is not off the books so around 20 right now

11 minutes ago, RLC said:

Not surprising. Lane on a bad ankle was still very good last year. OTs also age very well.

Lane restructuring could have a pretty big domino effect.  This more than likely means he's here another 3-4 years so any talk of him being traded, sliding Mailata to RT so Dillard can be LT can pretty much be thrown out the door.  

Now that means LT is a 2 man fight between Mailata and Dillard.  Shouldn't be a battle at all as I think Mailata is a stud in the making.  So now have Dillard who is a LT only.  Do they look to trade him?

It also probably takes Penei Sewell out of the running if he was available.  I didn't like the idea of OL but you just can't draft a LT when you already have 2 "starting" LT on the team.  It would be a horrible use of resources.

6 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

I have the same problem.  One guy who contributes nothing Eagles related and still he shows up.

he changed his name from beast, remember...

Guest justrelax
18 minutes ago, RLC said:

Actually, he wasn't, that video clip just posted notwithstanding. He got beaten inside consistently because he couldn't push off the right ankle. Healthy, he's still a beast. The question is, will that ankle hold up?

3 minutes ago, ToastJenkins said:

he changed his name from beast, remember...

No it's not @Original Sin, though he did used to be beast. It's that dumble bear idiot who adds nothing of value at all. 

1 hour ago, devpool said:

Lol Howie has learned literally nothing. Kick that can Howie!!! 

And what is the other solution?   Only Slade was trade worthy without a cap hit and the value offered factored against dead money in void years with the new TV money may well demonstrate that taking the void years was the route to maximum value.  But the thing with trades is you have to account for salary at the start of the league year.  So other than cutting Slay, this was probably the only option.  Same will be true for Cox, Kelce, Graham and possibly Hargrave.  Probably extensions too.  The Eagles probably have a calculation about how much dead money can go to each year.  They may even have a strategy to decrease that as time goes on. Players don’t mind because bonus money is guaranteed money and paid immediately. 

15 minutes ago, BigEFly said:

With the new TV money, I expect Howie to continue to play the void years game.  Now that Jason’s new child has arrived, I expect a restructuring on Kelce’s salary that almost has to include void years just like the ones for Cox and Graham will.   Probably something similar with Hargrave.  Barnett on an extension that converts most of his salary to signing bonus.  They need cap room not only for getting under the cap but also to extend Mailata and Goedert and sign rookies. That cap room may come from after the league year starts trades like Ertz.  Goals are to maximize cap savings this year and retain compensation for players like Ertz through trades, if possible.  

He already does, through 2024

1 minute ago, justrelax said:

Glad to hear. Heavily affects our draft strategy.

i am still looking at talented IOL. its a good crop

9 minutes ago, uncphillyfan said:

And Alshon is not off the books so around 20 right now

Alshon isn't coming off until 6/1

9 minutes ago, bpac55 said:

Lane restructuring could have a pretty big domino effect.  This more than likely means he's here another 3-4 years so any talk of him being traded, sliding Mailata to RT so Dillard can be LT can pretty much be thrown out the door.  

Now that means LT is a 2 man fight between Mailata and Dillard.  Shouldn't be a battle at all as I think Mailata is a stud in the making.  So now have Dillard who is a LT only.  Do they look to trade him?

It also probably takes Penei Sewell out of the running if he was available.  I didn't like the idea of OL but you just can't draft a LT when you already have 2 "starting" LT on the team.  It would be a horrible use of resources.

I think they have been trying to trade Dillard for awhile now. 

And no, it doesn't take Sewell off the board, at all.

18 minutes ago, RLC said:

I am concerned about his longevity.  I think it likely depends on whether the stress fracture that worsened was in malleous or navicular bones.  I think navicular fractures typically have a lengthier recovery times and worse prognosis.  I think that's the big concern rather than him losing the agility to be a very good OT.  

Archived