If Schwartz leaves, who would you like as the new defensive coordinator?

Ace Nova

If Schwartz leaves, who would you like as the new defensive coordinator?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. If Schwartz leaves, who would you like as the new defensive coordinator?

• Dan Quinn
    • Matt Patricia
    • Other (Name who in thread)
    • Gus Bradley
    • DeMeco Ryans

20 minutes ago, Madriver said:

Gus Bradley. Wasn't he on the shortlist as HC at one point?

However, I think everyone here is wrong. They will likely promote the DL coach, Matt Burke. They have been paving the way for his ascension for a year or two now.

He's a wide 9 guy so not much upheaval, and let's face it, the line has been good to great. Save for injuries, this defense could've been a top unit and they have consistently played like their tails were on fire.

He was in Lurie's home on the verge of being signed when Chip changed his mind.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EagleJoe8 said:

He was in Lurie's home on the verge of being signed when Chip changed his mind.

Well, if Lurie and Howie liked him so much to almost make him a HC, maybe they'll make another push for him this time around to make him DC?

Considering it's probably going to be the two of them taking charge in this process and not Doug?

I think it was Caplan and Mosher who said that they feel the Eagles have been grooming Burke for this moment when Jim left. I tend to believe it. The Eagles love to promote from within without opening up the job outside. I don't agree with it.  Let him interview, but open the job up to candidates outside, too.

• Like 1

I think we should be able to find one of the guys from the game-day threads. Some of those guys always know what NFL coaches should do and should have done differently. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Madriver said:

However, I think everyone here is wrong. They will likely promote the DL coach, Matt Burke. They have been paving the way for his ascension for a year or two now.

He's a wide 9 guy so not much upheaval, and let's face it, the line has been good to great. Save for injuries, this defense could've been a top unit and they have consistently played like their tails were on fire.

If I'm an established DC I'm not touching the Eagles DC job.

13 hours ago, mjkvol said:

Juan Castillo.

His love of defense has only grown.

I’m thinking Stoutland. 

I keep hearing fans like the idea of DeMeco Ryans.  If Saleh leaves for a HC job he's a top candidate to replace him and be promoted there.  I didn't know anything about his coaching before this but in reading about him, he's coached up mid round draft picks to become really good players.  We knew of his leadership as a player which has continued.  Having a former LB player and LB coach would be interesting on a team that doesn't draft LBs high and has pretty much had scrubs at LB for decades.

Some high praise for him from the 49ers organization.  

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/ex-49ers-support-demeco-ryans-robert-salehs-potential-successor

https://www.si.com/nfl/49ers/news/5-options-to-replace-49ers-dc-robert-saleh-if-he-accepts-a-head-coaching-job

• Like 1

16 hours ago, FitzIsAtTheAirport said:

"All aboard the Gus Bus!”

same. Looks like the Raiders are eyeing him though

26 minutes ago, QBhunter58 said:

same. Looks like the Raiders are eyeing him though

I was just quoting the motto that was being peddled when he seemed like the front runner for our HC.  We all know who we ended up w/ instead, and the rest is history...

Still, definitely seems like an interesting candidate.

My first, second and third choice is Raheem Morris. Just think he's going to get a crack at being a head coach again. 

16 hours ago, wrestlevessel said:

Can we trade Roseman to the Jets?

I just ran into Novacare and got all the way to the 95 onramp before being tasered with that **** on my back. 

You guys going to spring for bail or what? Start a GoFundMe in my honor please. 

PS - I purposely fell with all my weight on Howie. 

In a well run organization, you hire a GM, who hires a head coach he can work with and who fits the direction he wants to go with the program.       The head coach then picks his staff, including coordinators that he can work with and fit the scheme and talent.

In a dysfunctional organization,  the owner keeps a GM and head coach whose only brief success is distantly in the rear view mirror and who both have failed to build anything positive and lasting,  simply because they fit some new age culture he put in place several years ago, and he 'likes' both of them.

The well run way will always at least have a chance to be successful given solid drafts and health, while the dysfunctional way has zero chance of success, and always ends up bottoming out and draining fan interest before the owner finally pulls the plug and starts from scratch.

Which one of those scenarios sounds like the Eagles?

• Like 1

On 1/5/2021 at 2:40 PM, pallidrone said:

Well of course. As with any business you need to make sure that you have people that mesh well together or at least people that can work together, otherwise it makes for a bad environment and trickles down to the rest of the team. That is why it is hard to listen to people that think that players like DK Metcalf or J Jefferson would have had the same impact here as they did on their current teams. We have no idea of their personality, if they would have clicked here, if they would have understood the same scheme and if the players would have had the same trust in them as they currently do. Anyone that says that they KNOW they would have succeeded here is full of crap.

With that said, we are fans and it is fun to speculate.

That's a good point, obviously an offensive scheme/system, the QB, playcalling, team culture etc has a big impact on a receiver's success.  However, common sense can tell us that Metcalf is a far better player than Whiteside regardless of system....and while the jury is still out on Raegor, Jefferson had by far the better rookie year. 

My top pick would be Raheem Morris but I think he will become the Atlanta HC. 

On 1/5/2021 at 8:26 PM, Madriver said:

I would go for Bradley, but I think they may stay within the org, one reason being what you stated and another being the covid issue- interviewing people in person and getting a real feel for them is nearly impossible. They know what they have within the org. I could see Burke becoming the DC because of those things.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Talonblood said:

I would go for Bradley, but I think they may stay within the org, one reason being what you stated and another being the covid issue- interviewing people in person and getting a real feel for them is nearly impossible. They know what they have within the org. I could see Burke becoming the DC because of those things.

They seem to think they are really good at coach development and promoting from within. Not sure why they'd change now so yeah I think there's a very good chance they promote Burke.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, stinkfist said:

I just ran into Novacare and got all the way to the 95 onramp before being tasered with that **** on my back. 

You guys going to spring for bail or what? Start a GoFundMe in my honor please. 

PS - I purposely fell with all my weight on Howie. 

I have $1 to give!

• Haha 1

While I'm not the president of the Jim Schwartz fan club, I do wish him good health.

• Like 3