If the Cowboys move on from Dak.....

Wallyhorse

3 hours ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

I'm wondering if the Matthew Stafford rumors affect this at all.  Stafford is literally from Dallas.   He's signed for a few years, and his base salary is not too bad.  I'm not a cap expert, but I think the "dead cap" from Detroit would cover his signing bonus that is still owed which would make him much cheaper than Dak, and probably easier to sign.  

As for Dak, I would tag him, then package him up in a deal with Detroit.  Something like Dak for Stafford and a pick?

Dak likely won't sign the tag especially if its to get shipped out to a team he doesn't want to go too. Also I doubt the Lions want to pay 30 million for 1 year of Dak. 

I think the Cowboys might try to draft a QB in Round 1.  I don't buy they are sold on Dak. They couldn't get a deal done with Dak before his injury and now he is coming off a serious injury.  I think Jerry will probably want to draft a young QB. Plus, with the state of the NFC East, this isn't a bad time to turn things over to a young QB because none of these teams are a real threat right now.

I think that it would behoove Dallas to drop Dak and go all in on Stafford. Stafford has a decent contract, they are in a win now mode and nobody knows how Dak is going to look post post injury. Running out of the pocket is a big part of his game and there might be a longer recovery time for him to get back to where he was.