The story of the statue

eglz1

How many here know the history of the statue of Doug & Nick? Lots of people refer to it but it wasn't commissioned by the Eagles or anything like that. Here's one version of the history:

https://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/2018/09/05/bud-light-unveils-statue-of-doug-pederson-and-nick-foles-calling-for-philly-special/

The special moment between Nick Foles and Doug Pederson in Super Bowl LII is now cast in metal for all generations of Eagles fans to remember forever.T

Bud Light unveiled the statue of Doug and Nick inside the Headhouse Plaza at Lincoln Financial Field on Wednesday morning. The statue depicts the moment Nick asked Doug, "You want Philly Philly?" To which Pederson famously responded, "Yeah, let's do it."

The rest, as they say, is history.

Foles caught a touchdown on the trick play on fourth down to the amazement of the sporting world.

The base of the statue includes the conversation the two had and that the statue is courtesy of Bud Light. The bronze statue, which took four months to construct and stands over 9 feet tall, was created by Utah-based artist Raymond Gibby.

We're told the statue will remain outside of the Linc "for at least this season" with the possibility of it being a permanent fixture.

It was part of a Bud Light promotion.

https://www.phillyvoice.com/philadelphia-eagles-bud-light-statue-doug-pederson-lincoln-financial-field-nfl/

We're told the statue will remain outside of the Linc "for at least this season" with the possibility of it being a permanent fixture.

It should absolutely be a permanent fixture.  I couldn't care less that neither Doug nor Nick are here anymore ... it was one of the greatest plays in Super Bowl history and was a big part of earning our first ever Lombardi.  What rational reasons could they possibly have for removing it?  Why do people need to overthink everything.  

• Like 15
  • Thanks 5

7 minutes ago, time2rock said:

It should absolutely be a permanent fixture.  I couldn't care less that neither Doug nor Nick are here anymore ... it was one of the greatest plays in Super Bowl history and was a big part of earning our first ever Lombardi.  What rational reasons could they possibly have for removing it?  Why do people need to overthink everything.  

10 years from now it will be well-received by everyone.   Currently, it stands as a testament to the hubris of the organization that led to this moment in Eagles' history.  But, that time, that moment is worth celebrating.   The moments that came after that where everyone started to think that they had all the answers or that the they were smarter than everyone else... that's what led to this downward spiral.

Howie stopped being fiscally responsible, and started over paying aging players for past production, not for what they were going to be capable of in the years they were being paid.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, time2rock said:

It’s basically considered a permanent fixture by the fans who fund this team. They better leave it alone.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

"Infamous” means famous in a negative way.  There’s nothing negative about the Philly Special.

Unless you’re Matt Patricia.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Thrive said:

It’s basically considered a permanent fixture by the fans who fund this team. They better leave it alone.

Agreed. I mean, I don't have enough sweat on my nuts for EVERY member of the Eagles organization, but when properly motivated, I can make life very miserable and stinky for quite a few before Philly PD takes me down with tazers/bullets. 

And I will go full taint if I have to. 

• Haha 4

18 minutes ago, Iggles_Phan said:

10 years from now it will be well-received by everyone.   Currently, it stands as a testament to the hubris of the organization that led to this moment in Eagles' history.  But, that time, that moment is worth celebrating.   The moments that came after that where everyone started to think that they had all the answers or that the they were smarter than everyone else... that's what led to this downward spiral.

Howie stopped being fiscally responsible, and started over paying aging players for past production, not for what they were going to be capable of in the years they were being paid.

I get the negativity as a result of the attitude from the FO and coaches that we are smarter than everyone following the championship ... from Doug's "new norm" to Howie's "QB factory" to the thought that we could just promote the completely inexperienced Groh to replace Reich (rather than fill the vacant OC spot with another proven, seasoned offensive mind with prior OC experience to take full advantage of a wide open window), etc.  But none of that should factor into how we view what that statue symbolizes.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I get the negativity as a result of the attitude from the FO and coaches that we are smarter than everyone following the championship ... from Doug's "new norm" to Howie's "QB factory" to the thought that we could just promote the completely inexperienced Groh to replace Reich (rather than fill the vacant OC spot with another proven, seasoned offensive mind with prior OC experience to take full advantage of a wide open window), etc.  But none of that should factor into how we view what that statue symbolizes.  

As I said, "that time is worth celebrating."

• Like 4

It's a keeper. To me, it's 100% about what happened on the field that night, and 0% about anything else. 

• Like 9

Wait, Eagles sent me a email the other day saying i could attend the auction for the rights to the statue. I was hoping I could land it for $59.95, plus tax of course. Figured it could make a nice towel hanger for the pool. 

I don't like the position of Foles, it makes him look unsure or like a kid asking a parent for a favor, I get what the intent was but it just looks weird to me. Having ng said that I have no problem with the commemoration if that play.

I like the statue and it should be there. But if the snake Howie was there with Doug and Nick then I would def have a different opinion.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, manz2821 said:

I like the statue and it should be there. But if the snake Howie was there with Doug and Nick then I would def have a different opinion.

You’ll find Howie as part of the Lurie statue.  Look behind and you’ll see Howie’s lips on Jeff’s arse.  

• Like 1

They need to remove the statue and replace it with one of Lurie and Roseman, with the quote on the base saying "2017 Eagles - emotional intelligence in action".

On 1/30/2021 at 8:26 AM, time2rock said:

It makes our $100M QB nervous. 🙄

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, nipples said:

It makes our $100M QB nervous. 🙄

I forgot how fragile he is (both mentally and physically).  :lol:

Seriously though, a real man would use seeing that on a daily basis as motivation.  Fuel the desire to get even better and try to get his own statue.  

I was looking for an Aesop's fable about a statue that would be an uplifting and motivational story for us all to lean on during these "unprecedented times" . Instead I got something that everyone already knew.

I especially like the "Donated by Bud Light" engravings.  

2 hours ago, greend said:

I was looking for an Aesop's fable about a statue that would be an uplifting and motivational story for us all to lean on during these "unprecedented times" . Instead I got something that everyone already knew.

Not everybody. Judging from a few posts, some thought it was commissioned by the Eagles or something.