Eagles Hire Jay Valai - He left for Alabama after only a few days

time2rock

Valai was just recently hired by the University of Houston to serve as their CB coach.  He now joins Sirianni's staff in Philadelphia.  Having recently hired Dennard Wilson to serve as DB coach here, Valai's exact role is unknown at this time (speculation he could serve as assistant DB coach).  

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/02/02/jay-valai-set-to-join-eagles-coaching-staff/

17 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Could one be for CBs and the other for safeties?

If that is the case its a dumb move. Too many cooks in the kitchen again. CBs and Safety's need to be on the same exact page. When they are not thats when mistakes are made, coverage blown. Having different coaches in each will cause that problem. 

Id hope thats not what they are thinking. Lets hope its for a different position. 

40 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

If that is the case its a dumb move. Too many cooks in the kitchen again. CBs and Safety's need to be on the same exact page. When they are not thats when mistakes are made, coverage blown. Having different coaches in each will cause that problem. 

Id hope thats not what they are thinking. Lets hope its for a different position. 

They do, but they play different positions and use different technique.  Most teams have assistants who work with each position group. 

Just now, Hawkeye said:

They do, but they play different positions and use different technique.  Most teams have assistants who work with each position group. 

I was a safety in college and for a few weeks in the NFL, lol. Its not that much different technique wise between the two. Your thinking of the old style safety/CB difference from the 70's and 80's lol. You want one voice and that voice should be the same for all the DBs. Can you have someone giving you tips and helping out? Sure. But in that position room taking game plan etc you want one lead. 

On 2/3/2021 at 5:11 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

The more hands and eyes on the CBs the better to be honest...

That could lead to confusion as well. I’m not going to sit here and act like all of these moves the Eagles have made so far are great or are horrible. I’m going to take a wait and see here, but I will state we all saw how so many coaches and coordinators worked out for the Eagles last season. 

It's very normal to have two coaches at a position. For example: Last year we had Marquand Manuel as DB coach and Tim Hauck Safeties. We had Justin Peelle as TE coach and Mike Bartrum as Assistant TE coach. 

It's funny watching fans overreact with cliches --- "too many cooks in the kitchen" --- lol

1 hour ago, brkmsn said:

It's very normal to have two coaches at a position. For example: Last year we had Marquand Manuel as DB coach and Tim Hauck Safeties. We had Justin Peelle as TE coach and Mike Bartrum as Assistant TE coach. 

It's funny watching fans overreact with cliches --- "too many cooks in the kitchen" --- lol

I guess the too many cooks thing is appropriate when the cooks all want different things and have different views. And even then it's up to the HC to pull all of that together in to a consistent and sound approach. 

7 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I guess the too many cooks thing is appropriate when the cooks all want different things and have different views. And even then it's up to the HC to pull all of that together in to a consistent and sound approach. 

I think the "too many cooks" was a concern with last year's offensive coaching staff structure with having added Scangarello, Mornhinweg, etc. ... they should have just hired a traditional OC to help Doug rather than that flustercluck.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, time2rock said:

I think the "too many cooks" was a concern with last year's structure with having added Scangarello, Mornhinweg, etc. ... they should have just hired a traditional OC to help Doug rather than that flustercluck.

I mean we will never know what happened last year but I don't necessarily think the issue was "too many cooks". I think it was that Doug couldn't control those voices and bring them all together in a coherent way. Having many different voices and ideas I think is a good thing, but the HC needs to be able to bring all those voices and ideas together for it to work. That is why it is good that so many of the guys brought in are "Sirianni's guys".

It's all about the mesh.  Isthvan is staying on to help Stout.  My question would be who is coaching the safeties?  Didn't both work with the corners?

3 hours ago, hputenis said:

Sounds like my wife....

1 hour ago, Traveler Vic said:

Wow that was quick.

^ Does that also sound like your wife?  :roll:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

46 minutes ago, Green_Guinness said:

^ Does that also sound like your wife?  :roll:

It is was not for "Fan since 70s..." I would think, based on the level of humor, that you are still in high school. Grow up and make ubiquitous jokes.

1 minute ago, Traveler Vic said:

It is was not for "Fan since 70s..." I would think, based on the level of humor, that you are still in high school. Grow up and make ubiquitous jokes.

Hputenis has a great sense of humour and if you frequent the WU section you'd know this.  This is how things are there so it's kind of an 'inside joke' that happens frequently there.  There's loads of us that share a similar twisted silly and sometimes juvenile sense of humour and we have fun with it.  I've had others say similar things to me and I take it in stride and laugh because that's just how it is.

• Like 2

Sirianni: "Welcome Coach!"

Valai: "Thanks, good to be here."

Roseman: "Coach Valai. I'm Howie Roseman."

Valai: "OH, it's you....gotta go!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

How about they create a new type of CB coach... one called a "Turn your f_ing head around a look at the ball when it's thrown" CB coach.

• Like 1