Is Brady the reason for Belichick's success?

xzmattzx

We have our first season of evidence. Was Tom Brady the reason that Bill Belichick won 6 Super Bowls with the Patriots?  How much of that was Belichick, such as finding and developing Brady?  Is Belichick still the greatest coach in NFL history, as has been mentioned after Super Bowl LIII?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, xzmattzx said:

We have our first season of evidence. Was Tom Brady the reason that Bill Belichick won 6 Super Bowls with the Patriots?  How much of that was Belichick, such as finding and developing Brady?  Is Belichick still the greatest coach in NFL history, as has been mentioned after Super Bowl LIII?

Yes

13 hours ago, xzmattzx said:

Right now it certainly looks like all those championships were because Brady has an unbelievable drive to win and is a tremendous leader.  He stepped int the right situation with the Bucs and they made it happen.

This is still TBD, though.  How BB is viewed as a head coach very much depends on what he does in the next couple of years.  If he can turn Pats back into winners then he will be viewed as a good coach.  If the Pats just stumble into bad records then folks are gonna think that was all about Brady.

I've never seen a really good coach overcome a team full of bad players and win it all. I have however seen a really good team overcome a bad coach and win it all. The players are the ones making it happen on the field. They are the reason for victory more than the coaches, so yes, Brady mattered more than Belichick.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

I've never seen a really good coach overcome a team full of bad players and win it all. I have however seen a really good team overcome a bad coach and win it all. The players are the ones making it happen on the field. They are the reason for victory more than the coaches, so yes, Brady mattered more than Belichick.

I think this point is being lost too. I mean a HC can't do it without the players. Arians is a good HC and he's got a very talented roster. 

I doubt Belichick wins a single SB without Brady.  For that matter, this gives a pretty good reason why the Belichick coaching tree never succeeded.

Can't tell after one season where brady goes to a loaded roster that just needed a decent QB. And patriots lose the best qb all time and several other of their good players because they opted out for covid. 

On 2/8/2021 at 1:35 PM, PoconoDon said:

Dick Vermeil came close in 1980.  He took players who were bad with other coaches and made them good.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Procus said:

Dick Vermeil came close in 1980.  He took players who were bad with other coaches and made them good.

That's a fair point, but the talent level of the team was raised in his first few years at the helm despite Bergey's knees.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The Pats went 11-5 playing Matt Cassell as starter in '08, the idea it was all Brady is a nonsense. Having a great QB is part of the puzzle, but to keep turning the roster over and carrying on winning for 20 years?

By the logic of the Brady question, Bill Walsh had Joe Montana with Steve Young as back up throwing to Jerry Rice and could only win the big one 3 times, is he a horrible coach or are Montana and Young overrated? The answer is neither.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I recall an interview early in Brady's career when he said this when asked about Belichick, "it's amazing, during the week he tells what we need to do to win the game, we practice those things and we win the game, every week it's something different".

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/4/2021 at 10:39 AM, Cochis_Calhoun said:

The Pats went 11-5 playing Matt Cassell as starter in '08, the idea it was all Brady is a nonsense. Having a great QB is part of the puzzle, but to keep turning the roster over and carrying on winning for 20 years?

By the logic of the Brady question, Bill Walsh had Joe Montana with Steve Young as back up throwing to Jerry Rice and could only win the big one 3 times, is he a horrible coach or are Montana and Young overrated? The answer is neither.

That was one year.   All of the other years BB did not have Brady, but for a single year in Cleveland, he had a losing season.

Does anyone know what the reaction of the Patriots fan base was? Were they pissed that he won with the Bucs or were they happy for him?

11 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Does anyone know what the reaction of the Patriots fan base was? Were they pissed that he won with the Bucs or were they happy for him?

I know my brother was happy for him. In fact we argued about it because I was very unhappy that he won it again but he was very happy. 

12 hours ago, VaBeach_Eagle said:

Im an eagles fan but, I'm glad he won. Only cause it's funny to watch people piss and moan about it. All the hate and crying about it only fuels guys like Brady. 

• Like 1

On 4/9/2021 at 2:57 PM, VaBeach_Eagle said:

My Boston friend was rooting for him.

I think we should wait. BB likely still setting up a future without Brady. Definitely easier for the QB who leaves than the HC who has to replace the talent

• 3 weeks later...