JJ Watt Released

Captain F

Wouldn’t it be nice to have cap space to make a move?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Dawkins 20 said:

4xv85c.jpg.809f8fc3bea71c41e2b89fdafad236c6.jpg

We used to know that so well, but it’s long been forgotten. :sad:

10 hours ago, paco said:

Wouldn’t it be nice to have cap space to make a move?

Pretty sure signing guys over 30 with health problems is what got us in this mess. Some of it anyways

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Pretty sure signing guys over 30 with health problems is what got us in this mess. Some of it anyways

More comentary on CAP GENIUS Howie Roseman than my actual desire to sign him

8 minutes ago, paco said:

More comentary on CAP GENIUS Howie Roseman than my actual desire to sign him

I figured as much lol. Also I will have to eat crow and tell you that you were right. I said that we will be fine with the cap and people panic every year and until we actually are in cap hell then stop worrying about it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

I figured as much lol. Also I will have to eat crow and tell you that you were right. I said that we will be fine with the cap and people panic every year and until we actually are in cap hell then stop worrying about it. 

No biggie.  I use to get roasted in TATE for sounding the alarm back in the "HOWIE WE TRUST" days (It's scary how much he reminds me of Vinny Cerrato) and you were at least nice about the debate :-) 

And hey, I'm the idiot on the old board who didn't want to trade the "free first" we got for trading down with Carolina and using it on Peters.  My reasoning was Jeff Otah was younger and cheaper.   :facepalm:   So yeah, I've had much, much worse takes.   :lol: 

1 hour ago, paco said:

No biggie.  I use to get roasted in TATE for sounding the alarm back in the "HOWIE WE TRUST" days (It's scary how much he reminds me of Vinny Cerrato) and you were at least nice about the debate :-) 

And hey, I'm the idiot on the old board who didn't want to trade the "free first" we got for trading down with Carolina and using it on Peters.  My reasoning was Jeff Otah was younger and cheaper.   :facepalm:   So yeah, I've had much, much worse takes.   :lol: 

Lol! This is why if I don't agree with something I'll say a few things but, I never just go all in and argue something till the bitter end because I don't want to look like a fool even though I am one lol. 

I could not care less about being right about anything, I'm happy when I'm right and might throw a few jabs in there but, mostly don't care about it so I will always say when I'm wrong. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RPeeteRules said:

Would be interesting if he went to the Rams.  Play next to Donald.

If he is truly chasing a ring, that would likely be his best bet. That would be a deadly combo. 

18 hours ago, What The F said:

If he is truly chasing a ring, that would likely be his best bet. That would be a deadly combo. 

Do they have the cap space though? I have no idea but they have a lot of big contracts there. 

He's gonna go to Dallass, they're gonna draft a qb, we're gonna trade Wentz and maybe Hurts and sign Dak. 

17 hours ago, EagleMatt said:

Apparently bears leading the way for him

That makes sense if they can address the QB position. Watt opposite Mack with that DL and defense would be a fierce D. But its no good if their offense is still so bad. 

On 2/14/2021 at 6:32 AM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Do they have the cap space though? I have no idea but they have a lot of big contracts there. 

Not really.  They are projected to be $25 million over.  To get under the cap and have money to sign their draft picks (good thing they don't have a first), they are going to have to restructure some combination of Aaron Donald, Jalen Ramsey, Cooper Kupp, Robert Woods, Andrew Whitworth and Michael Brockers.

Can it be done?  Sure but that will REALLY hurt them in 2022.  If they make that move, that means they really believe that Stafford is the guy to put them over the top.  IMO, Capn' F has a track record of not paying attention to the cap when it comes to predicting off season moves.  So take his opinion with a grain of salt. 

I was curious about teams that might be attractive to JJ, based on the criteria of teams that can pay him and are contenders.  For the sake of arguments, I picked all teams with a winning records in 2020:

- Bills, Dolphins, Chiefs, Steelers, Ravens, Browns, Titans, Colts, Seahawks, Rams, Packers, Saints, Buccaneers, 

Next, select these down to teams with enough (> $15m) in cap space:

- Dolphins, Ravens, Browns, Colts, Buccaneers

Next, teams without any significant QB issues, who could be actual contenders:

- Ravens, Browns, Buccaneers

I'm seeing lots of things today about the Browns being "serious contenders".  I think there may be something there!    I wouldn't rule out a dark horse, like the Cards or WFT.  They have cap room and were around .500 but could get better next year.  He'd have to give the Pack or Steelers a major discount, they are struggling for cap space.  I don't see that, but it's just my speculation.

Pack, Steelers, Titans, Browns are reported to be teams in serious competition for Watt.    

On 2/12/2021 at 11:38 PM, Dawkins 20 said:

4xv85c.jpg.809f8fc3bea71c41e2b89fdafad236c6.jpg

It's funny.  The Pack are not in great salary cap shape, they are $5m over the cap next year.  Steelers are $7m over the cap.  Titans also have very little cap room, just about $1m.  I'm thinking these guys are going to try some creative financing to bring in Watt.

1 hour ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

Breaking: according to Adam Schefter, JJ is signing with the Cardinals

Per JJ himself lol. 

I thought he wanted to win a championship.  The Cards are an up-and-coming team, but I'm not sure that I'd call them championship contenders.

• Like 2