Eagles Mock Draft (02-22-2021)

Ray75

I have to admit I was out of ideas to give you something fresh and then it came to me; if we brought in assumably great developers of talent, especially at WR, why should we use another high pick on a receiver for a 3rd year in a row?!

Shouldn’t we let Sirianni and Co work with what we have and first wait what he can get out of them before using another high draft pick on one? He helped an UDFA like Pascal to become a quality starter by just playing to his strenghts. Maybe he can get the most out of guys like Fulgham, Reagor, JJAW, Hightower and Watkins too?!

We have a lot of money locked up into our DL. Cox, BG, Jackson, Hargrave and Barnett. Something’s gotta give, so that’s what I did here. Subtract from our DL, use the money elsewhere and reload through the draft.

You wanted something new, I give you something new but FYI I still want the Eagles to draft JaMarr Chase. Bare with me...

Gone;

DJax, Jeffery, NRC, Curry, Riley, Brown, Ford, Opeta, Gerry, Juringa, Sudfeld, Perkins, Clement, LeBlanc, Barnett (10 million saving), M. Jackson, Cox (post june 01 cut, 16 million savings)

Keep;

Singleton, Johnston, Mills, Scott, Rodgers, Ward

Restructure/pay cut;

Brandon Graham

Trade;

Zach Ertz to the LA Rams for a 5th

Derek Barnett to the Atlanta Falcons for a 4th

FA;

Malik Hooker, S, Indianapolis Colts (1 year deal);

Anthony Walker, LB, Indianapolis Colts

Tyrell Williams, WR, LV Raiders (1 year deal)

Jacoby Brissett, QB, Indianapolis Colts (1 year deal);

Draft;

Trade alert!

Eagles trade No.6 overall pick to the NE Patriots for pick 15, a 2nd and a 4th this year and a 4th in 2022.

1) Kwity Paye, DE, Michigan;

2) Daviyon Nixon, DT, Iowa;

2) Tyson Campbell, CB, Georgia;

3) Quinn Meinerz, OG/OC, Wisconsin-Whitewater;

3) Elijah Moore, WR, Mississippi State;

4) Caden Sterns, S, Texas;

4) Kylin Hill, RB, Mississippi State;

5) Tre McKitty, TE, Georgia;

5) Benjamin St-Juste, CB, Minnesota;

5) Sadarius Hutcherson, OT/OG, South Carolina;

6) Demonte Coxie, WR, Memphis;

6) KJ Costello, QB, Mississippi State;

7) KJ Britt, LB, Auburn;

I like this, I think there are a lot of sensible and logical moves there. 

I do however have some concerns. I'm not wowed by the draft. It feels very Eagles to me so I understand where you're coming from but I don't see that they are adding these great talents. 

Paye is fine, he's good, he'll be a good replacement for Barnett but I'm not sure his floor is much higher. The rest all feels like they'll end up being decent depth pieces at best. 

And WR still worries me. I get your point about these coaches and I don't disagree with you... But WR is a major concern given who we have. 

29 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I like this, I think there are a lot of sensible and logical moves there. 

I do however have some concerns. I'm not wowed by the draft. It feels very Eagles to me so I understand where you're coming from but I don't see that they are adding these great talents. 

Paye is fine, he's good, he'll be a good replacement for Barnett but I'm not sure his floor is much higher. The rest all feels like they'll end up being decent depth pieces at best. 

And WR still worries me. I get your point about these coaches and I don't disagree with you... But WR is a major concern given who we have. 

Thanks, buddy! I’m not defending this mock in any way. It’s just food for thought. I just wanted to offer you something different instead of Smith, Chase, Waddle, Pitts, Surtain or Farley in the first. That’s what every draft nik is giving us... Toyed with the idea of taking Horn at 15 and Weaver with our second 2nd rounder.

By making some tough decisions on the DL and reload in the draft, they’d create a lot of cap space for both now and the future.

They’d also balance things out on that side of the ball by adding talent at LB and DB (Walker, Hooker, Campbell, Sterns and St-Juste). Our DL will take a hit with the departure of both Cox and Barnett but we gave the 2nd and 3rd line of defense a huge boost.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

Thanks, buddy! I’m not defending this mock in any way. It’s just food for thought. I just wanted to offer you something different instead of Smith, Chase, Waddle, Pitts, Surtain or Farley in the first. That’s what every draft nik is giving us...

By making some tough decisions on the DL and reload in the draft, they’d create a lot of cap space for both now and the future.

They’d also balance things out on that side of the ball by adding talent at LB and DB (Walker, Hooker, Campbell, Sterns and St-Juste). Our DL will take a hit with the departure of both Cox and Barnett but we gave the 2nd and 3rd line of defense a huge boost.

Oh I absolutely agree and I think it is a very realistic draft bud. I can see Howie making some of these picks and I can see some of them offering good depth further down the line. But it just doesn't wow me and I feel like this year there is a real possibility of getting a major talent due to where we are going to be drafting. I mean at least 2 (if not 3) QBs are going to come off the board before us. That gives us a real opportunity I feel at #6.

6 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Oh I absolutely agree and I think it is a very realistic draft bud. I can see Howie making some of these picks and I can see some of them offering good depth further down the line. But it just doesn't wow me and I feel like this year there is a real possibility of getting a major talent due to where we are going to be drafting. I mean at least 2 (if not 3) QBs are going to come off the board before us. That gives us a real opportunity I feel at #6.

100 % agree! They’ll likely do that or take a QB at 6.

I’m gonna be completely honest here; would Smith or Waddle in any given draft be a top 10 selection or is it just because of the lack of DL prospects at the top?! Think about that one! Last year similar WR talent went in that 10-20 range. Why was that?! Because Chase, Smith and Waddle are that much better than Ruggs, Jeudy, Lamp and Jefferson?! I don’t think so...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ray75 said:

100 % agree! They’ll likely do that or take a QB at 6.

I’m gonna be completely honest here; would Smith or Waddle in any given draft be a top 10 selection or is it just because of the lack of DL prospects at the top?! Think about that one! Last year similar WR talent went in that 10-20 range. Why was that?! Because Chase, Smith and Waddle are that much better than Ruggs, Jeudy, Lamp and Jefferson?! I don’t think so...

Oh I think it is absolutely the lack of DL (and to an extent OL) talent that pushes them up the board. I don't believe Smith or Waddles are top prospects or generational talents whereas I do think Chase can be and I think Pitts is going to be a special player.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Oh I think it is absolutely the lack of DL (and to an extent OL) talent that pushes them up the board. I don't believe Smith or Waddles are top prospects or generational talents whereas I do think Chase can be and I think Pitts is going to be a special player.

And that’s where we are. In any other draft, very good albeit elite D- and O-line talent would available at 6. Not this year and our best D-linemen are aging and extremely expensive.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ray75 said:

And that’s where we are. In any other draft, very good albeit elite D- and O-line talent would available at 6. Not this year and our best D-linemen are aging and extremely expensive.

It's certainly a problem for this team that both lines (especially DL) are ageing but there isn't necessarily the top talent available for us at #6. So do we hope Chase is there? I think we do. If not then we trade back and we consider Pitts or perhaps Paye. Thing is do we draft DE just because we are desperate? Feels a little forced.

1 minute ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

It's certainly a problem for this team that both lines (especially DL) are ageing but there isn't necessarily the top talent available for us at #6. So do we hope Chase is there? I think we do. If not then we trade back and we consider Pitts or perhaps Paye. Thing is do we draft DE just because we are desperate? Feels a little forced.

Well, I don’t think if they go this route it’s forced.

BG is aging, Sweat has one more year left on his deal, Barnett will cost us $ 10 million if we don’t re-sign him to a new deal and beyond that, an organisation that prioritizes D-line play especially the pass rush, has nothing.

DE is a sneaky underrated need. I have corner at one and DE at two, followed by safety, receiver, DT, LB, OL and TE. Yes, I know we need LB help but I can’t see this team suddenly make a priority of it in the draft. It’s just not their mantra...

3 hours ago, Ray75 said:

Well, I don’t think if they go this route it’s forced.

BG is aging, Sweat has one more year left on his deal, Barnett will cost us $ 10 million if we don’t re-sign him to a new deal and beyond that, an organisation that prioritizes D-line play especially the pass rush, has nothing.

DE is a sneaky underrated need. I have corner at one and DE at two, followed by safety, receiver, DT, LB, OL and TE. Yes, I know we need LB help but I can’t see this team suddenly make a priority of it in the draft. It’s just not their mantra...

So trading back and taking Paye is a forced move. You've just said it yourself BG is ageing (and could be a sneaky trade option), Sweat has one more year left and due to his knees we are told can't be a starter and Barnett may well be on his way. DE is absolutely a need and I am not sure it is even that sneaky... But drafting a DE in a year that's not great for the position feels like a reach.

Ok so I'm missing something. We trade the number 6 pick to get a second and two fours. Where do we get the other first round pick to get Paye from? 

30 minutes ago, 20dawk4life said:

Ok so I'm missing something. We trade the number 6 pick to get a second and two fours. Where do we get the other first round pick to get Paye from? 

Here you go... 

Eagles trade No.6 overall pick to the NE Patriots for pick 15, a 2nd and a 4th this year and a 4th in 2022.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

So trading back and taking Paye is a forced move. You've just said it yourself BG is ageing (and could be a sneaky trade option), Sweat has one more year left and due to his knees we are told can't be a starter and Barnett may well be on his way. DE is absolutely a need and I am not sure it is even that sneaky... But drafting a DE in a year that's not great for the position feels like a reach.

No it’s not! You could make an argument taking another WR high is one especially if you weren’t able to develop your own.

47 minutes ago, 20dawk4life said:

Thoughts?!

40 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

No it’s not! You could make an argument taking another WR high is one especially if you weren’t able to develop your own.

Not entirely. I believe Chase to be a completely different prospect. He could be special. Elite.

39 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Not entirely. I believe Chase to be a completely different prospect. He could be special. Elite.

That’s a different discussion, my friend.

We used a ton of resources on pass catchers the last couple of years and the coaching staff clearly wasn’t able to develop them properly. To use another high pick on a receiver, no matter how good he is, doesn’t feel right if you haven’t tried to unlock the potential of the receivers already here.

Although Chase would be my No.1 target, trading down 8-10 spots and select a pass rusher like Paye or a corner like Horn, feels less forced. You don’t have a lot of young talent at those position while you have a bunch of young receivers at your disposal you haven’t properly developed.

5 hours ago, Ray75 said:

Although Chase would be my No.1 target, trading down 8-10 spots and select a pass rusher like Paye or a corner like Horn, feels less forced.

Sometimes the obvious choice is obvious for a reason. I get what you’re saying but ideally we won’t be picking at 6 any time soon again. Getting the best WR in the class isn’t a force. It’s getting the BPA and filling a need. Jjaw is a bust so picking him high shouldn’t matter. Reagor showed flashes and Chase would compliment him well. Watkins and Hightower were not high picks. We still need help there. Add chase and don’t have to worry about it for hopefully 8-10 years. 

5 hours ago, Ray75 said:

Although Chase would be my No.1 target, trading down 8-10 spots and select a pass rusher like Paye or a corner like Horn, feels less forced. You don’t have a lot of young talent at those position while you have a bunch of young receivers at your disposal you haven’t properly developed.

It is forced if those guys aren't necessarily going to be high end starters in a couple of years though. 

18 hours ago, Ray75 said:

I have to admit I was out of ideas to give you something fresh and then it came to me; if we brought in assumably great developers of talent, especially at WR, why should we use another high pick on a receiver for a 3rd year in a row?!

Shouldn’t we let Sirianni and Co work with what we have and first wait what he can get out of them before using another high draft pick on one? He helped an UDFA like Pascal to become a quality starter by just playing to his strenghts. Maybe he can get the most out of guys like Fulgham, Reagor, JJAW, Hightower and Watkins too?!

We have a lot of money locked up into our DL. Cox, BG, Jackson, Hargrave and Barnett. Something’s gotta give, so that’s what I did here. Subtract from our DL, use the money elsewhere and reload through the draft.

You wanted something new, I give you something new but FYI I still want the Eagles to draft JaMarr Chase. Bare with me...

Gone;

DJax, Jeffery, NRC, Curry, Riley, Brown, Ford, Opeta, Gerry, Juringa, Sudfeld, Perkins, Clement, LeBlanc, Barnett (10 million saving), M. Jackson, Cox (post june 01 cut, 16 million savings)

Keep;

Singleton, Johnston, Mills, Scott, Rodgers, Ward

Restructure/pay cut;

Brandon Graham

Trade;

Zach Ertz to the LA Rams for a 5th

Derek Barnett to the Atlanta Falcons for a 4th

FA;

Malik Hooker, S, Indianapolis Colts (1 year deal);

Anthony Walker, LB, Indianapolis Colts

Tyrell Williams, WR, LV Raiders (1 year deal)

Jacoby Brissett, QB, Indianapolis Colts (1 year deal);

Draft;

Trade alert!

1) Kwity Paye, DE, Michigan;

2) Daviyon Nixon, DT, Iowa;

2) Tyson Campbell, CB, Georgia;

3) Quinn Meinerz, OG/OC, Wisconsin-Whitewater;

3) Elijah Moore, WR, Mississippi State;

4) Caden Sterns, S, Texas;

4) Kylin Hill, RB, Mississippi State;

5) Tre McKitty, TE, Georgia;

5) Benjamin St-Juste, CB, Minnesota;

5) Sadarius Hutcherson, OT/OG, South Carolina;

6) Demonte Coxie, WR, Memphis;

6) KJ Costello, QB, Mississippi State;

7) KJ Britt, LB, Auburn;

15.... uhh... Come on dawg. I ain't got time to wait that long on draft day. This is not 2010.

I like it except for Cox. Good coaching can make what we didn't know could happen, happen. Move Seumalo to Center if Kelce retires, but see if Dillard can be a guard perhaps...

DL could end up being deep and cheap...meaning we don't have many stars, but rotate a lot. Avery at LB could mean we save money and get an FA DT or DE. Wallace at S is a hitter so we can possibly afford Maddox at the other one.

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

It is forced if those guys aren't necessarily going to be high end starters in a couple of years though. 

What are you talking about? Both Paye or Horn will be, like you call it, high end starters too. We’re still talking about. top 15 selections!

4 hours ago, 20dawk4life said:

Sometimes the obvious choice is obvious for a reason. I get what you’re saying but ideally we won’t be picking at 6 any time soon again. Getting the best WR in the class isn’t a force. It’s getting the BPA and filling a need. Jjaw is a bust so picking him high shouldn’t matter. Reagor showed flashes and Chase would compliment him well. Watkins and Hightower were not high picks. We still need help there. Add chase and don’t have to worry about it for hopefully 8-10 years. 

Partially agree. If you use high draft picks on a specific position 3 years in a row, it’s obvious you’re not doing something right. Is it the player himself, did you really miss out or wasn’t your coaching staff able to develop them properly?

From a talent perspective it isn’t forced at all to take the BPA at a position of need at 6 but from a position perspective it feels a bit forced because you either completely missed out in 2020 (Reagor, Watkins, Hightower) and 2019 (JJAW and Fulgham sort of) or you didn’t have the staff back then to develop them the right way.

I believe part of the reason the Eagles fired Doug and wanted to start of fresh and new was because the former staff wasn’t able to develop talent and didn’t use them correctly.

Hence the hiring of Sirianni, Gannon, Johnson and Co who are suppossed to be good at developing young talent.

4 hours ago, Ray75 said:

What are you talking about? Both Paye or Horn will be, like you call it, high end starters too. We’re still talking about. top 15 selections!

Top 15 selections this year. Because by your own words the OL and DL prospects aren't great this year. There are a lot of QB needy teams this year.

23 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Top 15 selections this year. Because by your own words the OL and DL prospects aren't great this year. There are a lot of QB needy teams this year.

What I meaned by that is that outside of Sewell no O- or D-linemen is worth the 6th overall pick. The value at those positions starts mid first round up until mid to late second round. So if you’re the Eagles and rather address those areas instead of taking a WR at 6, trading down and gather more picks is the best way to go.

Both Cox and BG were selected in that 10-15 range. Just saying...

6 minutes ago, Ray75 said:

What I meaned by that is that outside of Sewell no O- or D-linemen is worth the 6th overall pick. The value at those positions starts mid first round up until mid to late second round. So if you’re the Eagles and rather address those areas instead of taking a WR at 6, trading down and gather more picks is the best way to go.

Both Cox and BG were selected in that 10-15 range. Just saying...

But to me if we are trading down to the middle of the first round and taking Paye then we are looking at the next Barnett. Not the next Garrett, not the next Young or Bosa. We are looking at another good solid player but we need more than that. I like the idea of trading down and picking up extra picks because we need as many good young players as we can get. But drafting at #6 puts us in a really good position to draft a difference maker.