Any FA out there that can help us and we can afford?

Portyansky

Would be nice to hit on our 1st 3 picks and find a diamond in the rough. We're kinda due. But FA out there that we can afford?

• Like 1

Yeah there are a few second and third tier guys that wouldn't be terrible for a year or two.

I don't think they should though. 

There might be a few, but really what's the point of doing that in a complete rebuild year?  I think next year they will go crazy in FA with all the cap space they will have.  

4 minutes ago, What The F said:

There might be a few, but really what's the point of doing that in a complete rebuild year?  I think next year they will go crazy in FA with all the cap space they will have.  

I hope not

1 hour ago, Portyansky said:

Would be nice to hit on our 1st 3 picks and find a diamond in the rough. We're kinda due. But FA out there that we can afford?

They need to hit on the first 4 picks, 1st, 2nd, and both 3rds.

They'll definitely sign one or two FAs. Howie will just backload the contracts so they barely count against the cap this year. 

• Like 1

What position would you want a FA to fill? 

Probably only a very very small number out there to consider and then to actually sign.

• Like 1

Malik Hooker & Garson Conley are both coming off injury so maybe their market will be cheap.

• Like 1

As things stand no but I suspect Howie and his team will be working hard to free up some cap space. Some tough decisions are going to be made but I think they will find a way to free up enough room to make a few moves for younger guys with upside. They need to really because this roster has a lot of holes and they can't fill them all through the draft.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

As things stand no but I suspect Howie and his team will be working hard to free up some cap space. Some tough decisions are going to be made but I think they will find a way to free up enough room to make a few moves for younger guys with upside. They need to really because this roster has a lot of holes and they can't fill them all through the draft.

The only moves that create any sort of cap space either create more bigger holes or do exactly the sort of cap shifting that landed us here in the first place and we aren't winning anything next year anyway. If they sign free agents they should be decent vets who can do a job but their best years are in the rear view, looking for one or two more years putting cleats on close to vet minimum, just so they don't embarrass themselves all year.

Signing splashy free agents in our situation would be a) Hard, because anyone looking at us knows it's unlikely we do anything this year and b) Stupid, because if they expect (not hope but expect) to contend to this year they're delusional and Sirianni is already screwed.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

If they sign free agents they should be decent vets who can do a job but their best years are in the rear view, looking for one or two more years putting cleats on close to vet minimum, just so they don't embarrass themselves all year.

I disagree. As you say they aren't winning anything next year anyway so why bother bringing in decent vets? Bring in young guys with upside. Someone like Hooker who is coming back off of a pretty major injury. He might take a 1 year prove it deal and then once he's in the building we can evaluate him over the year and determine whether we want to give him a longer contract once the cap situation improves in 2022.

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I disagree. As you say they aren't winning anything next year anyway so why bother bringing in decent vets? Bring in young guys with upside. Someone like Hooker who is coming back off of a pretty major injury. He might take a 1 year prove it deal and then once he's in the building we can evaluate him over the year and determine whether we want to give him a longer contract once the cap situation improves in 2022.

Nope still don't like that, Hooker has a decent year and Howie pulls one of his BS contracts out of his ass and we are back to where we were. I don't want to hand out long contracts after 1 good year. Been there done that. 

I'm looking for vet minimum guys that they can get out from after the year. If they show improvement buy the end of the year then in 2022 then you start taking longer looks at guys with some upside plus and you have another draft with multiple day 1 picks again. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Nope still don't like that, Hooker has a decent year and Howie pulls one of his BS contracts out of his ass and we are back to where we were. I don't want to hand out long contracts after 1 good year. Been there done that. 

I'm not saying he would get a huge deal or even a long term deal but he could earn himself a 2 year deal off the back of that? He may not accept that, he may go elsewhere if someone offers him more after a year but I think you need to bring in some of these guys with upside that need to prove themselves. No point bringing in decent veterans really.

• Like 1

It still looks like a tear down year to me.  I wouldn't look for anything interesting in free agency until next spring. 

• Like 2

Is Corey Davis realistic? Not a capologist neither do I try to be one. A lot on here wanted him in the 17 draft and he's taken a backseat to AJ Brown. Woulda made a thread a while back but as far as I understand our cap situation is go fund me.

Oh, don't worry....Howie will sign garbage, injury-plagued FA that 98% of the league want nothing else to do with. 

Best just to focus on the draft and getting younger. 

18 hours ago, Portyansky said:

IdealConsciousGavial-small.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, EagleVA said:

They need to hit on the first 4 picks, 1st, 2nd, and both 3rds.

Ha...that's a good one 😄

There is no money.  They are in cap hell and have to cut or restructure. They are in a rebuild so free agents are kind of pointless anyway.  Build through the draft, suck next year and get high draft picks again.  Keep building through draft until you shed contracts and can afford free agents.  Then, hopefully you are adding free agents to a team built mostly through the draft and you are just supplementing.

Oh wait, Howie is the GM and he can't draft.  Never mind.  We're screwed.  :roll:

• Like 2