Any FA out there that can help us and we can afford?

Portyansky

24 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Build through the draft, suck next year and get high draft picks again. 

I've heard "suck next year" so many times that lets me know that you guys don't understand something about football, namely, a great deal of football is about attitude, especially on defense.

Look at the 2017 season, that team wasn't what you'd call a talented team but they gave effort and found themselves off to a good start with a 6-2, I remember one game it think it was Kelce on the sideline asking the question, "are we good?", at that point the began playing with the attitude of we're good and they continued playing like they were good.  

The problem is when you get off to a bad start you have the attitude of we suck and you continue playing you suck.  That was one of the good things about Doug, he seemed to not let the team get a bad attitude about themselves when they began playing bad, that's why he stuck with Wentz so long. 

Point being, stop telling the team they're going to suck, they may start believing it before the season even starts.

5 minutes ago, EagleVA said:

I've heard "suck next year" so many times that lets me know that you guys don't understand something about football, namely, a great deal of football is about attitude, especially on defense.

Look at the 2017 season, that team wasn't what you'd call a talented team but they gave effort and found themselves off to a good start with a 6-2, I remember one game it think it was Kelce on the sideline asking the question, "are we good?", at that point the began playing with the attitude of we're good and they continued playing like they were good.  

The problem is when you get off to a bad start you have the attitude of we suck and you continue playing you suck.  That was one of the good things about Doug, he seemed to not let the team get a bad attitude about themselves when they began playing bad, that's why he stuck with Wentz so long. 

Point being, stop telling the team they're going to suck, they may start believing it before the season even starts.

Too late. Lurie already told them they suck by saying they are not thinking about this year, they are more looking at 2-3 years down the road in his PC. 

I also think the word your looking for is more confidence, not attitude which is a little too broad. Confidence is the attitude attribute that can make or break a player. 

47 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

Too late. Lurie already told them they suck by saying they are not thinking about this year, they are more looking at 2-3 years down the road in his PC. 

I also think the word your looking for is more confidence, not attitude which is a little too broad. Confidence is the attitude attribute that can make or break a player. 

No, attitude is the word I meant to use, attitude breeds confidence.

1 hour ago, EagleVA said:

First of all, if the team is losing games because of what fans say online they have bigger problems.

Second, my comment was in context of signing free agents.  They have no money, so they can't.  The reason to sign free agents is to plug in a starter while waiting for a younger player to develop - they need to just use those young players and develop them now because they are rebuilding - or to supplement by adding a couple pieces to help you advance to the next level.  They are rebuilding and need to evaluate and develop young players.  No need for free agents.

I say "suck next year" as a worst case scenario to not being able to sign free agents.  If they do suck, they get high draft picks again and continue to build the young team through draft picks.  Then in the following offseason they will be able to offload more contracts and free up cap space and be able to sign some free agents.

Yes of course in the NFL things can change quickly.  Unfortunately the Eagles have to rely on the thing they are worst at:  the draft.

3 hours ago, NOTW said:

First of all, if the team is losing games because of what fans say online they have bigger problems.

Second, my comment was in context of signing free agents.  They have no money, so they can't.  The reason to sign free agents is to plug in a starter while waiting for a younger player to develop - they need to just use those young players and develop them now because they are rebuilding - or to supplement by adding a couple pieces to help you advance to the next level.  They are rebuilding and need to evaluate and develop young players.  No need for free agents.

I say "suck next year" as a worst case scenario to not being able to sign free agents.  If they do suck, they get high draft picks again and continue to build the young team through draft picks.  Then in the following offseason they will be able to offload more contracts and free up cap space and be able to sign some free agents.

Yes of course in the NFL things can change quickly.  Unfortunately the Eagles have to rely on the thing they are worst at:  the draft.

You didn't have to explain your post, I got where you were coming from.

I was however surprised that you of all posters, the eternal optimist, used the "suck next year" phrase.

Doesn't really seem like there are many that they can afford.  They may have to look at 2nd and 3rd tier guys just to fill roster spots.  Or take flyers on a guy with a one year "prove it" deal.  But that does not really help in the long run and with the rebuild.

Ithink a lot of the 2nd and 3rd teir guys are going to be seeing less money and shorter deals because of the Covid crap. 

The number of 1 year prove it deals will be up and also some other big names or surprise cuts are going to happen. Problem is we can't be involved really til next year

so I don't expect too much for us at all.

They can’t even afford to keep their kicker so I’d say no. The thing that really concerns me is that Roseman is trying to restructure contracts, but still keep the players. He’s still kicking the can down the road. Now maybe that’s a good thing for some players being with the team when they could potentially be good again, but why do it for the older players? I feel like he’s gambling in hopes for the cap to raise. I hope we’re aren’t in the same spot two years from now with a series of old players and bad contracts holding the team back with Howie unable to draft any capable replacements for these guys. 

On 3/2/2021 at 8:48 PM, EagleVA said:

They need to hit on the first 4 picks, 1st, 2nd, and both 3rds.

When has Howie hit on all his picks?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, xstonr said:

When has Howie hit on all his picks?

When has he hit on any? That weren't in the top 10...

• Sad 1

The Eagles can't afford much. Howie is going to have to go to FA garage sales.

th?id=OIP.wErNmBone5-RZI23QTofDgHaFj&pid=Api&P=0&w=225&h=170

On 3/3/2021 at 3:06 AM, LacesOut said:

What position would you want a FA to fill? 

Probably only a very very small number out there to consider and then to actually sign.

Kicker :ph34r:

• Like 1

On 3/5/2021 at 10:10 AM, EazyEaglez said:

They can’t even afford to keep their kicker so I’d say no. The thing that really concerns me is that Roseman is trying to restructure contracts, but still keep the players. He’s still kicking the can down the road. Now maybe that’s a good thing for some players being with the team when they could potentially be good again, but why do it for the older players? I feel like he’s gambling in hopes for the cap to raise. I hope we’re aren’t in the same spot two years from now with a series of old players and bad contracts holding the team back with Howie unable to draft any capable replacements for these guys. 

He's doing that in order to help the cap situation THIS YEAR.   The Eagles have to get under the cap THIS YEAR.   There isn't any real easy solution to this cap problem other than kicking the can down the road a year.

What happened good for the cap though,  was Wentz leaving.  $35 Million in bonuses to Wentz accelerated to the cap this year.  But Zero next, and they budgeted for something like $25 or $30 Million to Wentz per year for the next few years.    Wentz has a huge cap hit this year,  Nothing next, and players with big cap hits this year are having their cap hits moved to years where Wentz is off the cap.

The Eagles can't just cut these guys and save cap room.  The easiest way to save cap room this year is to convert salary to bonus and spread the bonus out as many years as possible, using dummy years.  
And then when that player retires,  the bonuses get accelerated to that year, and that year is a big cap hit. 

7 hours ago, Random Reglar said:

He's doing that in order to help the cap situation THIS YEAR.   The Eagles have to get under the cap THIS YEAR.   There isn't any real easy solution to this cap problem other than kicking the can down the road a year.

What happened good for the cap though,  was Wentz leaving.  $35 Million in bonuses to Wentz accelerated to the cap this year.  But Zero next, and they budgeted for something like $25 or $30 Million to Wentz per year for the next few years.    Wentz has a huge cap hit this year,  Nothing next, and players with big cap hits this year are having their cap hits moved to years where Wentz is off the cap.

The Eagles can't just cut these guys and save cap room.  The easiest way to save cap room this year is to convert salary to bonus and spread the bonus out as many years as possible, using dummy years.  
And then when that player retires,  the bonuses get accelerated to that year, and that year is a big cap hit. 

Lane Johnson is already dummy yeared up to age 39 and they're trying to restructure him again, at some point the team has to just fricking accept this is an absurdity. His dead cap number for this year is $39million for 2022 it's already $22million, it is a nonsense for the team to try and move that dead cap back into years when he's on the wrong side of the hill performance wise, you're in danger of ending up with an uncuttable player who physically can't play.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

Lane Johnson is already dummy yeared up to age 39 and they're trying to restructure him again, at some point the team has to just fricking accept this is an absurdity. His dead cap number for this year is $39million for 2022 it's already $22million, it is a nonsense for the team to try and move that dead cap back into years when he's on the wrong side of the hill performance wise, you're in danger of ending up with an uncuttable player who physically can't play.

I think that what you're saying sounds true.  When you look at spotrac,  it seems impossible.

But in reality,  that's what's going to happen.  

When players retire or are cut or traded,  all of their dead cap will accelerate to that year.  And that will be bad.  But it should be the kind of bad the Eagles will just have to deal with. 

Call it the "new normal" and everything becomes fine.  

You're right.   It seems sub optimal.  But it'll work.   For one thing,  Wentz is gone,  and every year there was somewhere in the range of $25-$35 Million that the Eagles were supposed to pay or that was supposed to go on the cap that year that now doesn't.

The Eagles are just pushing the cap hits out as far into the future as they possibly can.

The Eagles have something like 2 weeks left to get under the cap.   The Eagles can't simply cut players.   If they owe a player $10 Million for this season, and there are $10 Million in old bonuses that have to go on the cap at some point,  they get no cap savings.   They don't have to pay the new money if they cut a guy,  but the old bonuses get accelerated to the cap this year.

So,  they're taking the base salaries for this year and they're converting them to bonuses,  adding dummy years,  and putting the bonuses in dummy years. 

So,  these high paid players will have big cap hits the years they leave.   That's just the way it's going to be.  It's not extra money,  it's just money pushed as far into the future.

The Eagles have a lot of highly paid players.  The way they can do that is by pushing the cap cost into the future.  There really isn't any way out of that. 

I haven't typed "Terrelle Pryor" on this thread yet.

We're looking at vet minimum players here. 

The Eagles are going to have to restructure a lot more players just to get under the cap.  They'll make some more moves which it's more cap advantageous to do so.  There just won't be any space for $10 Million a year WR.  Or anything close to that.  There has to be money for some hard to fill positions.   Maybe vet backup running QB might need to cost more than vet minimum,  but kinda not really.   

It could be argued that a form of spending is taking place by keeping and restructuring and not cutting some expensive vets.  A lot of positions, especially on both lines, are being filled by quality, expensive players.  It could be argued that the Eagles have spend more on players than they really have to spend,  they have been spending big, they're over the cap and the solution is not more big spending.  It's finding those good useful players on vet min contracts. 

• Sad 1

Here's a bunch of Free Agents the Eagles could go after>

LET'S SEE...: invincible

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Outside of Malik Hooker, I hope we take a serious look at Jourdan Lewis to add to our secondary. 

On 3/5/2021 at 4:47 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

When has he hit on any? That weren't in the top 10...

Seumalo, Mailata, Goedert, Sanders, Hurts maybe...that’s about all I got.