Eagles Shopping OG Brooks?

time2rock

7 minutes ago, NOTW said:

Just giving ya a hard time man.  I like Brooks, wish him well.  I just think Howie should not have extended these veterans and now they're having injury concerns and cap issues.

I think with offensive linemen, many of the better ones play well into their 30s and it's not a bad idea to keep them around if they are considered the best at their position (like Brooks). Obviously, we'll have to wait and see if it was the right move or not. I do like how hard he works to get back out there and how fast he seems to recover. If we manage to keep our O-line relatively intact, this season, we'll get a great look at the young players at QB and WR and be able to get an idea of what we currently have. 

• Like 1

My view on Brooks is the league is almost certainly going to want to see him play again before offering a toot on a tin whistle for him given his contract, and the cap calculations for moving him on from the Eagles side don't really make sense unless you're getting at least a 3 for him, plus with guys like Zeitler, Norwell and Thuney apparently available for trade or hitting free agency, I see a buyers market for expensive vet guards in a bad cap year. 

Hmm... I can understand why they would be shopping him. He's one of the few players on this roster with real value. They could probably get a third round at least for him from a team who feel they are contenders but need to add quality to their OL.

That said, how can we evaluate Hurts or the starting QB if they are running for their life this year?

49 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Hmm... I can understand why they would be shopping him. He's one of the few players on this roster with real value. They could probably get a third round at least for him from a team who feel they are contenders but need to add quality to their OL.

That said, how can we evaluate Hurts or the starting QB if they are running for their life this year?

Maybe we address some needs like LB, CB, S and backup QB in FA and use our 2nd on a stud IOL like Wyatt Davis?! Might have to trade up for him though!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ray75 said:

Maybe we address some needs like LB, CB, S and backup QB in FA and use our 2nd on a stud IOL like Wyatt Davis?! Might have to trade up for him though!

You think they'll have enough cap space to do that?

32 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

You think they'll have enough cap space to do that?

Getting under the cap is a one year phenomenon. It’s a cycle. Once they’re under the cap before the 17th, a new cycle starts and they can do whatever they want, sign whoever they like. Around this time next year they have to get under it that’s all and there are many ways to skin a cat. Trading Brooks is an example of that. You’d only save 2,9 million this year but won’t have to pay him 12 million next year. Another reservation for the future to make sure the spendings in FA are justified for this year and beyond.

8 hours ago, brkmsn said:

I think with offensive linemen, many of the better ones play well into their 30s and it's not a bad idea to keep them around if they are considered the best at their position (like Brooks). Obviously, we'll have to wait and see if it was the right move or not. I do like how hard he works to get back out there and how fast he seems to recover. If we manage to keep our O-line relatively intact, this season, we'll get a great look at the young players at QB and WR and be able to get an idea of what we currently have. 

Agreed! Unless they offer us a good deal. Say a .. first? I think I would do that.

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Lamar started 6-1 his first year and 19-3 his first 2 years.   He ran a lot.  He's really good at running.  I don't think that Hurts is quite as good at running as Lamar but ballpark, he can perform all the running functions close to as good as Lamar.  Push the QB running to 10 and look at the Ravens record, try to achieve that.   I wouldn't say at all that bad results are certain by any means.  It doesn't appear that the Eagles are going to have to lose too many players, and if they're healthy, the oline should be good.  The dline should be good.

Would be great to get a late 4 from a good team, but I doubt any team would offer that.  I'd hope to get a 5 due to age, injury and the huge contract.  Might have to accept just a 6 due to the contract

2 hours ago, Ray75 said:

Trading Brooks is an example of that. You’d only save 2,9 million this year but won’t have to pay him 12 million next year.

Another reservation for the future to make sure the spendings in FA are justified for this year and beyond.

On that first point ... exactly.  You actually save $13.4M next year (and then $11.6M in 2023 and $13.4M in 2024).  

They definitely should be focused on building something for the future and not add pieces solely for the purpose of trying to compete in 2021.  So that 2nd point is spot on as well.  

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, time2rock said:

On that first point ... exactly.  You actually save $13.4M next year (and then $11.6M in 2023 and $13.4M in 2024).  

They definitely should be focused on building something for the future and not add pieces solely for the purpose of trying to compete in 2021.  So that 2nd point is spot on as well.  

IMO every new regime/staff will bring in players to help them with the transition.

Especially Gannon would probably like to bring in some guys to help him in that departement. FA’s like Hooker, Walker, Rhodes etc.

The money you "save” especially for next year by trading an almost 32 year old stud guard who had to deal with not one but two season ending injuries, would be well spend by adding a couple of Gannon’s guys IMO.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they address some defensive holes like corner, safety and/or LB in FA and use, say, their second on OL. For example; they could target an OL prospect with their 2nd rounder to fill the hole left behind by the departure of Brooks. Say someone like Wyatt Davis (might have to trade up for him though)?

1 minute ago, Ray75 said:

IMO every new regime/staff will bring in players to help them with the transition.

Especially Gannon would probably like to bring in some guys to help him in that departement. FA’s like Hooker, Walker, Rhodes etc.

The money you "save” especially for next year by trading an almost 32 year old stud guard who had to deal with not one but two season ending injuries, would be well spend by adding a couple of Gannon’s guys IMO.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they address some defensive holes like corner, safety and/or LB in FA and use, say, their second on OL. For example; they could target an OL prospect with their 2nd rounder to fill the hole left behind by the departure of Brooks. Say someone like Wyatt Davis (might have to trade up for him though)?

True, good point.  It does make sense to bring in some (soon to be) former Indy players that will have some familiarity with how Gannon will want to run a defense (even if he was only a secondary coach there - they have to have some understanding of what he will expect).  Ideally you'd hope we'd be able to sign them to 3-4 year deals but I suppose there is some sense in signing some on 1 year deals to give a season to evaluate before committing longer term.  

Just now, time2rock said:

True, good point.  It does make sense to bring in some (soon to be) former Indy players that will have some familiarity with how Gannon will want to run a defense (even if he was only a secondary coach there - they have to have some understanding of what he will expect).  Ideally you'd hope we'd be able to sign them to 3-4 year deals but I suppose there is some sense in signing some on 1 year deals to give a season to evaluate before committing longer term.  

Often injured Hooker for example...one year prove it deal.

Walker will probably be looking for a longterm deal but if you believe he’s going to be a perfect fit, you do it. 

Wouldn’t touch Rhodes though. 31 I believe and on the down side of his career. Maybe William Jackson or Michael Davis at corner?!

8 hours ago, Ray75 said:

Getting under the cap is a one year phenomenon. It’s a cycle. Once they’re under the cap before the 17th, a new cycle starts and they can do whatever they want, sign whoever they like. Around this time next year they have to get under it that’s all and there are many ways to skin a cat. Trading Brooks is an example of that. You’d only save 2,9 million this year but won’t have to pay him 12 million next year. Another reservation for the future to make sure the spendings in FA are justified for this year and beyond.

But surely they need to focus on clearing the cap for a rebuild? Right now this team is in a bad cap situation with a bad roster. That's the worst situation any team could be in. 

47 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But surely they need to focus on clearing the cap for a rebuild? Right now this team is in a bad cap situation with a bad roster. That's the worst situation any team could be in. 

Let’s put it this way; although they are in a bad cap situation now, they won’t necessarily be in that position around this time next year.

If they trade Brooks, trade/cut Ertz etc, they won’t have to pay those guys next year. If you include CW in that conversation, you’re talking about > 40 million more cap space because of those 3 players alone. Imagine if they trade Cox at the deadline and it’s > 60 million.

Bottom line; don’t worry about the cap situation. It’ll be resolved one way or another. The more players they trade/cut/let walk, the more money they’ll have to sign a couple of FA’s to help with the transition. And believe me; they’ll sign a couple in FA.

These OL questions are a little more complicated because they have to keep Hurts out of a body bag.  Still, as I've said in many other threads, this feels like a tear down and the Eagles are going all out to clear cap space for the future.  

16 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Like we evaluated Wentz last year?

I say, tear this building down! I don't pretend to understand the numbers involved, but the worst of it is: I'm not sure I trust the powers that be to be able to rebuild it.

5 hours ago, eglz1 said:

Like we evaluated Wentz last year?

I think that's very different. A rather predictable argument that I knew was going to come up too. Carson is a 5 year veteran on a huge franchise QB contract. With a bad OL he wasn't expected to be elite but just be better than the worst QB in the NFL. 

I’m really torn on this. On one hand Brooks is a player I really like and one of the few talented players on this roster. Since it seems Eagles are rolling with Hurts, and maybe they do draft a rookie high, I’d be more confident in Hurts/rookie QB development with Brooks back on that OL. That said, I really understand the logic of it and agree this team needs to do whatever is needed for their long term future. I don’t want this to be another Sproles/Peters situation, and I trust Stoutland to keep this OL strong no matter who’s on it. 

We had the worst offensive line in the league last year and you want to get rid of the best one left? Next year is all about developing Hurts to see if he's the guy long term. To do that, they need a line to protect him and guys to catch the ball. 

18 hours ago, Hawkeye said:

These OL questions are a little more complicated because they have to keep Hurts out of a body bag.  Still, as I've said in many other threads, this feels like a tear down and the Eagles are going all out to clear cap space for the future.  

The one silver lining to all the injuries to the projected starting OL last year was that several young backups got some valuable experience to help with their development.  I don't know if Herbig or Driscoll are ready for starting roles yet but they did hold their own for the most part and seemed to progress over time.  I'd feel better about them if needed to be called upon again than if we never saw them in action last year.