Eagles Shopping OG Brooks?

time2rock

I'm 50/50 on that one. We don't save a lot by trading him pre-june 1st, but if we do get some kind of haul we should at least listen because we're not going anywhere with or without him.

• Like 1

I love Brooks too, but how good will he be by the time we’re ready to be competitive again? Will his body hold up? Is it more important going forward to get cap relief?

Sadly, the time to move on is a lot closer than many of us would like. 

• Like 2

I feel like I type similar to this about way too many players on our roster but his contract makes him the 4th most expensive guard the league, you aren't trading that contract.  also his dead cap number on a trade this year is about 12million dollars unless we trade him after June 1st, but to do that we'd have to literally trade him post June 1st because we used the 2 early June 1st designations on Malik Jackson and Jeffery as I understand it.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I love Brooks too, but how good will he be by the time we’re ready to be competitive again? Will his body hold up? Is it more important going forward to get cap relief?

His cap numbers:  $14.5M in 2021, $17.5M in 2022, $16.2M in 2023, $17.2M in 2024.  That's a considerable amount.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, time2rock said:

His cap numbers:  $14.5M in 2021, $17.5M in 2022, $16.2M in 2023, $17.2M in 2024.  That's a considerable amount.  

I’m not familiar with anyone’s contract structure. If cut or traded, is that all cap relief? Or is much of that accelerated into dead cap charges?

2 minutes ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

I feel like I type similar to this about way too many players on our roster but his contract makes him the 4th most expensive guard the league, you aren't trading that contract.  also his dead cap number on a trade this year is about 12million dollars unless we trade him after June 1st, but to do that we'd have to literally trade him post June 1st because we used the 2 early June 1st designations on Malik Jackson and Jeffery as I understand it.

You are correct on the 2 post June designations on Jeffery and M Jackson.  I know there is a $12M dead money hit to the cap (also $2.3M in cap savings), but then you also free up base salaries of $13.4M in 2022, $11.6M in 2023, and $13.4M in 2024.  

1 minute ago, EagleJoe8 said:

I’m not familiar with anyone’s contract structure. If cut or traded, is that all cap relief? Or is much of that accelerated into dead cap charges?

Those figures were hit total cap hits for those respective years.  I believe the cap relief are the values in the post just above (minimally ... there could be "regular" bonuses or work out bonuses that would factor in as well).

• Thanks 1

Cap is very relevant here and with a lot of players on the Eagles.  Now and going forward years.

When you convert everything to bonus and you push that bonus as far out into the future as possible,  it becomes difficult to get immediate cap savings by getting rid of players.

It's somewhat easy to say "oh, the Eagles aren't winning this year,  youth movement, get rid of the old players"  but you really can't.  Fortunately, these old players are still good. 

Let's look at Brooks contract..

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/brandon-brooks-9886/

If they trade him after 6/1,  there is 4 Million dead cap 2021 and 9 Million dead cap 2022.   But they don't have to pay him.  His base salary is 10 Million + every year from 2021 to 2024. 

It does seem like it would be cheaper to trade him after 6/1 than it would be to keep him.

If we're truly in rebuild mode then no one is off limits to a trade. Brooks when healthy is one of the best RG in the league

I thought Brooks and Lanes contract prevented any trades though? IIRC someone went over that in January 

20 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

If we're truly in rebuild mode then no one is off limits to a trade. Brooks when healthy is one of the best RG in the league

I thought Brooks and Lanes contract prevented any trades though? IIRC someone went over that in January 

If they traded Brooks (without using a post June 1 designation - they can't since they've already reportedly committed to using the 2 they have at their disposal on Jeffery and Malik Jackson), it would result in a dead money hit to the 2021 cap of $12.25M (but also yield $2.3M in cap savings).  So it isn't out of the question.  

Johnson is the one that is not doable.  Trading him (again pre-June 1) would result in $29.4M in dead money to this year's cap (obviously no cap savings involved there).  

Beast when healthy but 2 years missing significant games, and another aging player Howie shouldn't have extended. 

@brkmsn haven't they seen his workout pics on Twitter? How could they trade him, he's lifting weights and getting shredded?!

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

If they traded Brooks (without using a post June 1 designation - they can't since they've already reportedly committed to using the 2 they have at their disposal on Jeffery and Malik Jackson), it would result in a dead money hit to the 2021 cap of $12.25M (but also yield $2.3M in cap savings).  So it isn't out of the question.  

Johnson is the one that is not doable.  Trading him (again pre-June 1) would result in $29.4M in dead money to this year's cap (obviously no cap savings involved there).

The unfortunate truth is that we have the most expensive right side of the line in all of Football, and ones coming off an achilles tear and the other has missed.13 games the last 2 seasons, I just don't see a trade partner even if the cap implications made it worthwhile. 

Its hard to think of a worse example of contract negotiation than Johnson's, he's already got void/dummy years running through to when he's 39 and the rumours are we're trying to restructure again, his dead cap number makes him immovable this year, as it stands he's a potential post 1/6 cut next year, if he misses long stretches next year would we want to keep the best paid Right Tackle in football beyond that?

It would be stupid to restructure Lane again this year, negligent even. 

Think it all depends on what value they get back. His cap is a high number going forward and hes not a young guy. I think min, they need a 3rd rounder of not a 2nd to move him. If they can get that value, then yes I would make the move. We are in a rebuild, so lets rebuild. 

Not sure why people keep mentioning M.Jackson? I have yet to see anything that he will be released to save only 2 mill. 

Good player.  But age and injuries are catching up on him.  If they move on from him, it is understandable.  They better have a back-up G to take his position.  The young OL players got some game experience.  Someone steps up and claims the position.

39 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

Think it all depends on what value they get back. His cap is a high number going forward and hes not a young guy. I think min, they need a 3rd rounder of not a 2nd to move him. If they can get that value, then yes I would make the move. We are in a rebuild, so lets rebuild. 

Not sure why people keep mentioning M.Jackson? I have yet to see anything that he will be released to save only 2 mill. 

You are not getting a day 2 pick for Brooks. At best a conditional 3rd day pick. Hes older, coming off a major injury (again), and has a huge salary. 

6 hours ago, EagleJoe8 said:

If we have a running game we will not utterly stink and kill whoever is a QB... and we need guards for that. So I am Ok if he stays...but if we can get something for him..I am OK with that too.

2 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

The unfortunate truth is that we have the most expensive right side of the line in all of Football, and ones coming off an achilles tear and the other has missed.13 games the last 2 seasons, I just don't see a trade partner even if the cap implications made it worthwhile. 

Its hard to think of a worse example of contract negotiation than Johnson's, he's already got void/dummy years running through to when he's 39 and the rumours are we're trying to restructure again, his dead cap number makes him immovable this year, as it stands he's a potential post 1/6 cut next year, if he misses long stretches next year would we want to keep the best paid Right Tackle in football beyond that?

It would be stupid to restructure Lane again this year, negligent even. 

There is only so many players on the Eagles making big bucks. I think Howie, and I hate to defend him, is considering every contract that is available to get under the cap. Its tough choices.

Hmm - easy guy to root for, great player when healthy.

Injury prone but only 31. I don't think we would get that much for him given his contract and "rebuild" or not, I think having as good a line as possible will be key to see what we have in Hurts.

9 minutes ago, c_u_in_tampa said:

Who would trade for a guard that has been on IR the last three years. 

He started 16 games in each years of 2017, 2018 and 2019. His only season he was out on IR was 2020. 2018 he didnt get injured till the 2nd half of the final playoff game. 2019 he played 90% of the offensive snaps of reg season, didnt get injured till the final game vs the Giants. 

So your numbers are a little off. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BrooBr00.htm

4 hours ago, NOTW said:

Beast when healthy but 2 years missing significant games, and another aging player Howie shouldn't have extended. 

@brkmsn haven't they seen his workout pics on Twitter? How could they trade him, he's lifting weights and getting shredded?!

Again ... I don't choose what pics are in a tweet I post here. The one you are talking about, I originally posted for the text, not the pic, to point out that he was already recovered from his injury. But since you requested...

I'm fine with them putting him out there just to see if some team gives a ridiculous offer. But, I think the Eagles would probably be better served to keep him if they get a realistic offer of a 4th or less.  At that point, just keep him. Chances are his value will be worth more than the 4th rounder or less.

25 minutes ago, brkmsn said:

Again ... I don't choose what pics are in a tweet I post here. The one you are talking about, I originally posted for the text, not the pic, to point out that he was already recovered from his injury. But since you requested...

Just giving ya a hard time man.  I like Brooks, wish him well.  I just think Howie should not have extended these veterans and now they're having injury concerns and cap issues.

It's possible he stays healthy from now on so I wouldn't trade him for pennies. He's a top guard and they can play for awhile

Maybe it was Doug's program that resulted in the numerous injuries everywhere. We'll see