Prescott signs new contract 😳

Portyansky

126 mil fully guaranteed for 1 playoff win.

My god the amount of money these players make is insane.

• Like 3

I'm happy that got done. I think he is a 10-15 range QB and that is a lot of money to invest in a guy that is just slightly above average.  The Cowboys should've gotten that done a couple of years ago and they would've saved money.

• Like 1

Good luck  filling out the rest of the team with all that big money to Dak and the majority of the other resources going to skill positions.

• Like 2

Dallas will have a 2 man roster. Dak and Zeke, and we'll still struggle to beat them. <_< 

• Like 1

Just now, EagleJoe8 said:

Dallas will have a 2 man roster. Dak and Zeke, and we'll still struggle to beat them. <_< 

The NFC East is a crapshoot, literally...

2 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

Crapshoot or crapfest? ;) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Crapshoot or crapfest? ;) 

Crap is shooting everywhere, but it's the same thing. It's poo no matter how you slice it.

12 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

I agree, Dak is not worth that contract. I have been reading all over the NFL websites tell JJ to sign Dak and give him the money so it’s done but unless he wins a SB it won’t be worth it. 
I do respect Brady for always taking the team first approach when it comes to money. But I’m sure it doesn’t hurt when your wife makes as much or more then you do. 

• Like 2

Love it. Good for them.  Dallas sucks. Got what they deserved.  

• Like 1

Just now, NOTW said:

The next QB contract will be for:

tenor.png

I was about to laugh at this, but you're not far off.  

3 minutes ago, NOTW said:

The next QB contract will be for:

tenor.png

We will see it in baseball before football... and soccer before that.  Hell, there might already be a soccer billion dollar contract.  

Just curious.  How are the Cowboys going to manage the cap?  Their payroll this year BEFORE paying Dak was $185,080,161.    Now this year he adds what,  22.2million.  So as if today they are somewhere around $207m? How are they going to shed 25ish million? 

It's pretty crazy he got that much especially after coming off an injury. Wentz was never the same after his injury. I know the 2 injuries are different, but still. 

1 hour ago, What The F said:

Just curious.  How are the Cowboys going to manage the cap?  Their payroll this year BEFORE paying Dak was $185,080,161.    Now this year he adds what,  22.2million.  So as if today they are somewhere around $207m? How are they going to shed 25ish million? 

Dallas has cap room and signing Dak helps them. If they had franchised him it would cost them a lot more against the cap. No understands the salary cap it’s like the US deficit by the way will never be paid back. A lot of teams are over the cap including the Eagles. Dallas didn’t have much to spend but they are better then some teams. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, What The F said:

Well, considering they are 25 million under the cap this year as it stands, probably pretty easy.

If anyone cares, since the official breakdown hasn't happened yet, I took a stab at what this might look like given the limited information available.

2 hours ago, DaEagles4Life said:

TV Deals end in 22 as well so Dax gonna get paid AGAIN. 

This is what is interesting.....

It's a 4 year contract extension.  And he was on the franchise tag last year.  Therefore he would be under contract from 2021-2024 and an UDFA in 2025.  

Sporttrac does not have numbers yet.  But they do have the following (empty) table

YEAR   AGE BASE SALARY CAP HIT DEAD CAP YEARLY CASH  
2021 Contract details by year 28 - - - -  
2022 Contract details by year 29 - - - -  
2023 Contract details by year 30 - - - -  
2024 Contract details by year 31 - - - -  
2025 Contract details by year 32 - - - -  
2026 Contract details by year 33 - - - -  
2025 Free Agent Year 34 UFA UDFA

If I were to GUESS, I bet you Dallas did two things.  

1) Give him an obscenely low base salary this year and next.  The bulk of his base salary will be in 23 and 24

2) Pull a Howie and built in void years in 25 and 26, thus lowering his cap hit over the 4 years and taking a dead hit in 25.  (Detailed bonus info isn't available from what I've seen, but the signing bonus was 66 million.  So If they did that, the signing bonus would account for 11 million each of the 4 years and 22 in the voided year)

If this is the case, this makes a TON of sense because his contract is modeled around the upcoming TV deal.  Dak is happy because he gets paid.  Dallas will be happy because his contract will be relative to the cap (and projected increase).

Of course, this is speculation on my part, because we don't have any numbers and I'm just some idiot fan who obsesses over the cap making a wild guess.  But if I am on track and it plays out that way..... and Dak stays healthy..... and COVID has little to no effect on the upcoming season..... This will end up looking like a reasonable contract.  

TL:DR; If you take Dak and the cowboys out of the equation and you pretend this is your team and you believe THIS is the guy, it may actually be a well structured deal.  We will see once more info becomes available.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gch said:

I agree, Dak is not worth that contract. I have been reading all over the NFL websites tell JJ to sign Dak and give him the money so it’s done but unless he wins a SB it won’t be worth it. 
I do respect Brady for always taking the team first approach when it comes to money. But I’m sure it doesn’t hurt when your wife makes as much or more then you do. 

Also helps when the team pays you off the books through your business (TB12). 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, paco said:

Well, considering they are 25 million under the cap this year as it stands, probably pretty easy.

Was going by this.  Saw the 185m number at the bottom of the cap hit section and figured that's what it meant.  Guess not. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/cap/

Just now, xzmattzx said:

I didn't know you could use emojis in thread titles.e

When the Eagles owned the board, it was either extending Wentz or title emojis.

We now have title emojis, so don't forget to donate to keep the board going..... and those sweet, sweet title emojis

3 minutes ago, What The F said:

Was going by this.  Saw the 185m number at the bottom of the cap hit section and figured that's what it meant.  Guess not. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/cap/

You need to look 2 rows down, which is titled "Cap Space (w/Top 51)"

The row you looked at does not account for rollover cap

• Like 1

1 minute ago, paco said:

You need to look 2 rows down, which is titled "Cap Space (w/Top 51)"

The row you looked at does not account for rollover cap

On mobile. Didnt see it.