Eagles Restructure Brandon Brooks Contract

philafan4o8

The problem with kicking the can down the road is that you need to keep kicking the can down the road just to make it by. Love Brooks but his injury history is scary with these additional dummy years. Looks like they couldn’t find a suitor for Brooks.

Good news for Hurts though. The right side of the line will be solid if healthy. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/eagles-restructure-brandon-brooks-contract-ensure-phillys-o-line-remains-intact-per-report/

8AC650CE-F9DD-4CE7-B238-1215D3A0509F.gif

3 hours ago, uncphillyfan said:

Funny that they told Lane that he didn’t have to restructure even though he asked to. 

Because they already restructured him three times in the past. At this rate they'll be paying his rotting corpse into the next century. The restructures are not a good cap management technique. They leave you either stuck with a player that's old and broken down or if you cut them a ridiculous dead cap hit.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The future years almost never matter. Without a scamdemic, we aren't even having this discussion.

But because obesity is a true American assassin, we shut down a country and wrecked many businesses, small and large. 

When this is all over.... add some cardio to your life. Eliminate one or two red meat meals from your week's plan. Quit fast food and pop/soda/cola altogether. Get your triglycerides under control. Stop the pandemic that not a single major news source is covering: childhood obesity, which leads to adult obesity.

Protect your neighbor. Lose ten pounds.

Obesity is why I can ge vaccinated next week apparently. I'll work out after that lol.

On the flip side the benefit of kicking the can down the road is that the Eagles will be in a situation where they need the amazing cap wizard Howie to bail them out (by kicking the can down the road) so Lurie better not dare fire him. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, IFB DOG said:

The future years almost never matter. Without a scamdemic, we aren't even having this discussion.

False.  Without the pandemic, we would have done the Brooks restructure to get 3 million under the cap.  Still not enough money to pay the draft picks or sign any players in free agency.

But because obesity is a true American assassin, we shut down a country and wrecked many businesses, small and large. 

When this is all over.... add some cardio to your life. Eliminate one or two red meat meals from your week's plan. Quit fast food and pop/soda/cola altogether. Get your triglycerides under control. Stop the pandemic that not a single major news source is covering: childhood obesity, which leads to adult obesity.

:offtopic:

13 minutes ago, downundermike said:

False.  Without the pandemic, we would have done the Brooks restructure to get 3 million under the cap.  Still not enough money to pay the draft picks or sign any players in free agency.

But the future never comes. So assuming the cap keeps going up (IDK where you came up with that $3M number anyway), the future stuff is always covered by increases.  COVID wrecked that.

It's 2028. The Eagles are paying 75% of their cap to Brooks, Johnson, Kelce, Cox, Graham and Hurts. 

Cap genius!

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, IFB DOG said:

But the future never comes. So assuming the cap keeps going up (IDK where you came up with that $3M number anyway), the future stuff is always covered by increases.  COVID wrecked that.

Cap will get back to its projected level next year.  Problem is we went from 70 million under the 2022 cap to 41 million under with all those restructures, and that is before the Brooks numbers come in.  We would have lost the same 30 million to get under this years cap if it had been the projected 200 million it was supposed to be pre pandemic.

Whenever I see a box of donuts or a plate of cookies, I always eat as many as I can before someone else can. I figure I've saved thousands of lives from obesity by now. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, John Blutarski said:

Because they already restructured him three times in the past. At this rate they'll be paying his rotting corpse into the next century. The restructures are not a good cap management technique. They leave you either stuck with a player that's old and broken down or if you cut them a ridiculous dead cap hit.

I guess the Eagles are hoping they will retire their way out of the mess they created. I don’t know what’s worse. Constantly restructuring these deals in hopes to just get under the cap the next season or the fact they can’t seem to draft players good enough to replace them. 

11 hours ago, downundermike said:

Cap will get back to its projected level next year.  Problem is we went from 70 million under the 2022 cap to 41 million under with all those restructures, and that is before the Brooks numbers come in.  We would have lost the same 30 million to get under this years cap if it had been the projected 200 million it was supposed to be pre pandemic.

Right, but they literally took the biggest cap hit in the history of the NFL with the Wentz trade and there has yet to be a single unpredicted cut, BEFORE Carson Wentz was traded (ie. Jeffrey, Jackson, etc.). 

It's all funny numbers.  It will never make a serious difference.  You have two major factors right now: COVID and Wentz's trade (though, his playing cap hit was higher by $100K-200K after the next man is moved up to the 51). 

11 hours ago, NOTW said:

It's 2028. The Eagles are paying 75% of their cap to Brooks, Johnson, Kelce, Cox, Graham and Hurts. 

Cap genius!

I get that its hyperbole, but each subsequent restructure is actually a SMALLER amount than the last.

For example...

Cap Hit of $18M this year. Restructured into a signing bonus for a three-year deal...

2021 $6M
2022 $6M
2023 $6M -- restructured into a 3 year deal:

2023 $2M
2024 $2M
2025 $2M

There are soooooooooooo many ways around the cap. It's really not as big of a deal as people make it out to be. 

It is a pretty big saving and not one that I think many though they'd do in their bid to get under the cap. Howie is doing what Howie does. I don't love it, I think he's kicking the can, but he will get the team under the cap so they can make a move or two.

18 hours ago, NOTW said:

Cap genius!

BUt wIThOuT a pAnDEmIc wE'D hAvE bEeN FiNe. 

I get that its hyperbole, but each subsequent restructure is actually a SMALLER amount than the last.

For example...

Cap Hit of $18M this year. Restructured into a signing bonus for a three-year deal...

2021 $6M
2022 $6M
2023 $6M -- restructured into a 3 year deal:

2023 $2M
2024 $2M
2025 $2M

There are soooooooooooo many ways around the cap. It's really not as big of a deal as people make it out to be. 

One thing, you can't restructure that third year into 3 more years because you can only prorate bonuses over a max of 5 years, so you could split that into 2 years of 3 million and you'd have to add the salary you're converting so in all likelyhood all you'd do is create 5 years of $6million for a player who's already in his Mid 30's by year 3.  

Also Lane Johnson already has void years up to age 38, Brandon Graham already has bonus money that can't be moved for reasons above, neither are going to get better in the coming years, the best we can hope for is they have a slow decline. The way to get out of cap hell is to release or trade players when they get over the top of the hill by having players to come in behind them, Howie has proven for over a decade he cannot do this, that is why he sucks as a GM and the apologists for him on here absolutely baffle me, because even if you somehow believe he's a solid GM let down by coaches he picked the last two of them too. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cochis_Calhoun said:

if you somehow believe he's a solid GM let down by coaches he picked the last two of them too. 

Lurie always leads the head coaching searches and makes the final decision on them. He has stated this himself multiple times he takes pride in it. It was reported Howie wanted Josh McDaniels and lurie told him no. 

Either way this is Luries mess if he isn't willing to fire Howie then this is fault. Howie is horrible everyone knows it and it doesn't matter because lurie is the one that lets it continue. At this point there is no point in blaming Howie he isn't the one continuing to allow him to work here Jeff is. 

13 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Lurie always leads the head coaching searches and makes the final decision on them. He has stated this himself multiple times he takes pride in it. It was reported Howie wanted Josh McDaniels and lurie told him no. 

Either way this is Luries mess if he isn't willing to fire Howie then this is fault. Howie is horrible everyone knows it and it doesn't matter because lurie is the one that lets it continue. At this point there is no point in blaming Howie he isn't the one continuing to allow him to work here Jeff is. 

These are the guys who won the Super Bowl like 3-4, who you are saying are terrible?

If your standards of quality are so high,  you should've been gone a long time ago.  For 50 years, there were no Super Bowl wins at all.  Now there is a Super Bowl win.

You should not have been able to stick here for 50 years without a Super Bowl.

7 hours ago, Random Reglar said:

These are the guys who won the Super Bowl like 3-4, who you are saying are terrible?

If your standards of quality are so high,  you should've been gone a long time ago.  For 50 years, there were no Super Bowl wins at all.  Now there is a Super Bowl win.

You should not have been able to stick here for 50 years without a Super Bowl.

STFU 

• Like 1

On 3/13/2021 at 11:58 AM, brkmsn said:

Whenever I see a box of donuts or a plate of cookies, I always eat as many as I can before someone else can. I figure I've saved thousands of lives from obesity by now. 

I would just like to thank you for your selfless sacrifice.

On 3/13/2021 at 11:40 AM, NOTW said:

Cap genius!

The "beauty" of this is that by 2028, most if not all of these names are not on the roster.  It will be of no consequence.

When healthy he is a beast.  But can he stay healthy?  That is a huge question mark.

• Like 2

On 3/13/2021 at 3:44 AM, John Blutarski said:

When lurie eventually fires Howie, it will take a decade to dig ourselves out of his so called magical cap engineering. 

• Like 2