Messiest Band Breakup Playoffs

GoRahGeorge

My fellow members of the WU - recently, I managed to view a video from WatchMojo.com concerning their ranking of what are considered to be the messiest band breakups ever.

Using this list, I've decided to let you choose the messiest breakup of all time - in the form of a playoff; hence the Messiest Band Breakup Playoffs.

The field consists of the ten bands mentioned on the list, not counting the honorable mentions, alias the "Participant Trophy" winners; the bands are set in two divisions of five bands each, Red and Blue; the divisions are listed in the following manner - 

Red Division
The Beatles

Pink Floyd

Smashing Pumpkins

Oasis

NWA

Blue Division

Creedence Clearwater Revival

The Eagles

Fleetwood Mac

Van Halen

Guns 'N' Roses

We start with, if you will, the division play-ins, 4 vs. 5; the winner of each matchup will be determined by a count of responses over a 48-hour period; said winners advance to the division semi finals, using the same approach; winners advance to the division finals, once again determined over said period of time; winners advance to the championship.

We start with the Blue Division play-in - Van Halen vs. Guns 'N' Roses.

Let the festivities begin!

11 hours ago, LeanMeanGM said:

Oasis was snubbed 

they are in the red division. 

in regards to van halen vs. GnR - i have to go van halen. 

Messiest? I'd go GNR over Van Halen. I feel like everyone in Van Halen got big heads and they eventually grew apart. GNR was at the height of fame when they imploded. Axl beat up fans at concerts, band members quit in the middle of tours, they started riots when they refused to play...  GNR was messier.

• Like 1

Pantera?  Singer and the brothers get into a feud, don't speak and both brothers end up dead. (Dimebag shot in 2004, Vinny Paul via heart attack in 2018)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, paco said:

Pantera?  Singer and the brothers get into a feud, don't speak and both brothers end up dead. (Dimebag shot in 2004, Vinny Paul via heart attack in 2018)

Yep.  Replace Oasis with Pantera.  Oasis blows.

36 minutes ago, toolg said:

Messiest? I'd go GNR over Van Halen. I feel like everyone in Van Halen got big heads and they eventually grew apart. GNR was at the height of fame when they imploded. Axl beat up fans at concerts, band members quit in the middle of tours, they started riots when they refused to play...  GNR was messier.

van halen broke up after their greatest selling album at the time and were also at the height of their fame. their feud with roth lasted for two plus decades and the one with hagar is still going on. 

no doubt that GnR's overall attitude was more destructive as you described, but they were acting that way as a normal way of going about business. 

to me it's very close, but i gave the nod to VH for the longevity of their breakups. 

side note - i went to see GnR at hershey years ago, they didnt hit the stage until 10:30 and they were horrible. at one point duff jumped into the crowd because a guy wasnt cheering enough. the stadium was emptying when we left and it was only 1/2 way through the show. 

Lastly - no kinks in this ? 

• Like 1

On 4/2/2021 at 9:43 AM, GoRahGeorge said:

The Eagles

• Thanks 1

On 4/6/2021 at 2:19 PM, toolg said:

They got back together though. Van Halen couldn't even make it through one night the first time they tried to get back together :lol:

• Thanks 1

For all time, I gotta go Fleetwood Mac or Pink Floyd. They still hate each other. 

• Like 1

Honorable mention to Dokken. Don Dokken and George Lynch went through several tours where the only time they would get within 20 feet of each other was on stage. 

4 minutes ago, Gannan said:

Honorable mention to Dokken. Don Dokken and George Lynch went through several tours where the only time they would get within 20 feet of each other was on stage. 

they were only breakng the chains that bound them. 

13 minutes ago, Gannan said:

8 minutes ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

they were only breakng the chains that bound them. 

Dream Warriors - Album on Imgur

Mayhem.....

The guitar player verbally abused the lead singer, who then killed himself.  Then, the guitar player used the crime scene photos as an album cover, prompting other members of the band to quit.  Then, one of the former members stabbed the guitar player to death over unpaid royalties. 

Fun times!

• Like 2

:lol: That's pretty crazy, however I'm guessing most people have no clue who Mayhem is.  Everyone knows GnR, Van Halen, etc

• Like 2

Here's the Wikipedia summary :unsure: 

After two brief replacements, Maniac and Manheim's positions were filled by Swedish vocalist Per Yngve Ohlin ("Dead") and local drummer Jan Axel Blomberg ("Hellhammer"). With Dead, the band's concerts became notorious. For concerts, Dead went to great lengths to achieve the image and atmosphere he wished. From the beginning of his career, he was known to wear "corpse paint", which involved covering his face with black and white makeup. According to Necrobutcher, "t wasn't anything to do with the way Kiss and Alice Cooper used makeup. Dead actually wanted to look like a corpse. He didn't do it to look cool".[9] Hellhammer claimed that Dead "was the first black metal musician to use corpse paint".[10] To complete his corpse-like image, Dead would bury his stage clothes and dig them up again to wear on the night of a concert.[11][12]

While performing, Dead would often cut himself with hunting knives and broken glass.[13] Additionally, the band often had pig or sheep heads impaled on stakes and planted at the front of their stage.[13]

180px-Mayhem_-_Jalometalli_2008_-_Hellha

A prolific Norwegian heavy metal drummer, Hellhammer has remained with the group since joining in 1988.

Stian Johannsen ("Occultus"), who briefly took over as vocalist after Dead's suicide, made this statement about him:

"He [Dead] didn't see himself as human; he saw himself as a creature from another world. He said he had many visions that his blood has frozen in his veins, that he was dead. That is the reason he took that name. He knew he would die."[14]

In 1990, the members of Mayhem moved to "an old house in the forest" near Oslo,[15] which was used as a place for the band to rehearse.[11] They began writing songs for their next album, De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas. Mayhem bassist Necrobutcher said that, after living together for a while, Dead and Euronymous "got on each other's nerves a lot" and "weren't really friends at the end".[11] Hellhammer recalls that Dead once went outside to sleep in the woods because Euronymous was playing synth music that Dead hated. Euronymous then went outside and began shooting into the air with a shotgun.[16] Varg Vikernes claims that Dead once stabbed Euronymous with a knife.[17]

On 8 April 1991, Dead committed suicide in the house owned by the band. He was found by Euronymous with slit wrists and a shotgun wound to the head. Dead's suicide note started with the sentence "Excuse all the blood" and included a brief explanation "nobody will ever understand this, but as a sort of explanation, I am not human, this is only a dream and soon I will awake".The full text has become public and it ended by saying "I didn't come up with this now but 17 years ago". Attached to the note, Dead left the lyrics of the song Life Eternal. When Euronymous found all this, he went to a nearby store and bought a disposable camera to photograph the corpse, after re-arranging some items.[18] One of these photographs was later used as the cover of a bootleg live album, Dawn of the Black Hearts.[19]

Necrobutcher recalls how Euronymous told him of the suicide:

Øystein called me up the next day ... and says, "Dead has done something really cool! He killed himself". I thought, have you lost it? What do you mean cool? He says, "Relax, I have photos of everything". I was in shock and grief. He was just thinking how to exploit it. So I told him, "OK. Don't even Fing call me before you destroy those pictures".[9]

Euronymous used Dead's suicide to foster Mayhem's 'evil' image and claimed Dead had killed himself because black metal had become 'trendy' and commercialized.[20] In time, rumors spread that Euronymous had made a stew with bits of Dead's brain and had made necklaces with bits of his skull.[21] The band later denied the former rumor, but confirmed that the latter was true.[21] Moreover, Euronymous claimed to have given these necklaces to musicians he deemed worthy,[22] which was confirmed by several other members of the scene, like Bård 'Faust' Eithun[23] and Jon 'Metalion' Kristiansen.[24] In 2018, a fragment of Dead's skull also went on sale for $3,500, along with the letter from Euronymous that it was posted with. The letter finishes with: "OK! That should be all. I’m enclosing a little piece from Dead’s cranium in case you’d like to have it. Hear from you soon!”[25]On a 2019 interview with Loudwire and Consequence of Sound, Necrobutcher claimed to have had plans to kill Euronymous since he was disgusted by his treatment of Dead, but that Vikernes "beat [him] to it". It remains a trend for fans to produce artwork using blood. One such example is actually by drummer Hellhammer himself, who wrote lyrics to Pagan Fears in his own blood as can be seen on the Instagram page for thetruemayhemcollection in a post from October 2019. [26] Artist Maxime André Taccardi has also produced a painting of Dead using his own blood.[27]

well the Kinks never broke up.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mikemack8 said:

:lol: That's pretty crazy, however I'm guessing most people have no clue who Mayhem is. 

And after finding out, I wish I still didn't know.

What about Nirvana?  It got all over the walls and floor.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1