Messiest Band Breakup Playoffs

GoRahGeorge

1 hour ago, paco said:

What about Nirvana?  It got all over the walls and floor.

Facepalm GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Like 2

On 4/7/2021 at 3:23 PM, Gannan said:

For all time, I gotta go Fleetwood Mac or Pink Floyd. They still hate each other. 

Fleetwood has been back and forth though and actually are going one last final tour together. 

18 hours ago, paco said:

What about Nirvana?  It got all over the walls and floor.

Ugh, that was the first musician death I really vividly remember hearing about. I was very young at the time.

18 hours ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

Swedish Chef GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

@DrPhilly, you just gonna let this guy lump Swedes and Norwegians together like that? "They all look the same!" he says.

6 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

@DrPhilly, you just gonna let this guy lump Swedes and Norwegians together like that? "They all look the same!" he says.

They look the same to me too

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

Facepalm GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

What?  Too soon?

39 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

Ugh, that was the first musician death I really vividly remember hearing about. I was very young at the time.

Do you remember that there was an attempted suicide before that?  My dad, of all people, broke the news to me both times.

8 minutes ago, paco said:

Do you remember that there was an attempted suicide before that?  My dad, of all people, broke the news to me both times.

No, I didn't. Hardly surprising, though, knowing the depths of his depression. My dad told me, too, which was fitting, since he's a musician (drummer), and he played Nevermind nonstop in the early 90s. I was out in the garage getting out the Power Wheel out when he told me, lol. I also watched a good amount of MTV at that time, so Nirvana was very much a presence. I know, I was not a normal elementary schooler, lol.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, paco said:

What?  Too soon?

It's weird that it does still feel that way. I read an article the other day that made the point that "Time has done little to soften the blow the world felt 25 years ago." It really does still feel like yesterday for a lot of us.

• Like 1

Just now, EaglesRocker97 said:

No, I didn't. Hardly surprising, though, knowing the depths of his depression. My dad told me, too, which was fitting, since he's a musician (drummer), and he played Nevermind nonstop in the early 90s. I was out in the garage getting out the Power Wheel out when he told me, lol. I also watched a good amount of MTV at that time, so Nirvana was very much a presence. I know, I was not a normal elementary schooler, lol.

Not my pops.  He was born in 1951, so when we were up at the cabin and he was doing work on it, he would be listening to songs like:

So yeah, least likely candidate to send me news about the death of a grunge singer.  If he stopped by tomorrow and said "Did you know when they found Layne Staley's body he was only 80 lbs?" either my head would explode or I would ask how many people he killed.

• Like 1

Just now, paco said:

Not my pops.  He was born in 1951, so when we were up at the cabin and he was doing work on it, he would be listening to songs like:

So yeah, least likely candidate to send me news about the death of a grunge singer.  If he stopped by tomorrow and said "Did you know when they found Layne Staley's body he was only 80 lbs?" either my head would explode or I would ask how many people he killed.

Yeah, I got the sense that it wasn't his type of music. My dad was a 70s kid, but was pretty much into contemporary stuff in the 90s. The fact that your dad told you, though, just goes to show how much of a cultural phenomenon that band was. Everyone knew them

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

It's weird that it does still feel that way. I read an article the other day that made the point that "Time has done little to soften the blow the world felt 25 years ago." It really does still feel like yesterday for a lot of us.

Kurt was all like 

giphy.gif

giphy.gif?cid=82a1493b9jft36mfjke04jk8n3

source.gif

giphy.gif

tenor.gif?itemid=9563043

8ccdbc6cb16fce1f05a14b83cf32a25a6f34ea65

Dawn+of+the+Dead.gif

T8CmbDY.gif?noredirect

I'm here to help the healing begin

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, paco said:

be it OD's or suicides, the loss of musicians from the grunge genre, particularly from the seattle area, is crazy. i guess this is how it felt going through the late 60's, early 70's with all of the losses. 

the one that hit me the most was cornell. i admit, i didnt see that coming. thing is, if you really listen his lyrics, especially in his last couple of years, you hear the pain. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, paco said:

Kurt was all like 

I'm here to help the healing begin

that both disturbed me, and made me laugh. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

be it OD's or suicides, the loss of musicians from the grunge genre, particularly from the seattle area, is crazy. i guess this is how it felt going through the late 60's, early 70's with all of the losses. 

the one that hit me the most was cornell. i admit, i didnt see that coming. thing is, if you really listen his lyrics, especially in his last couple of years, you hear the pain. 

Agreed.  Cornell and Weiland both for me - I never tire of listening to their music, and never stop wishing they could come back and make more.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mikemack8 said:

Agreed.  Cornell and Weiland both for me - I never tire of listening to their music, and never stop wishing they could come back and make more.

yep, weiland too. loved STP and was also a fan of velvet revolver. falling to pieces is another eerie song that kind of sets the tone for what was to come.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

Not surprising.  You have a culture of "downer music" (as my mom liked to call Alice in Chains) and drugs in an area where it rains every damn day.  Honestly, the body count is surprisingly low.

50 minutes ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

that both disturbed me, and made me laugh. 

I showed my one brother in law who is a musician (and has a similar taste in music as me) if those two posts were evil.  He said

BIL: Nah, its kinda funny

paco: Right?  If AIDS is funny now, this can be too!

I'm going to rot in hell. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, paco said:

Not surprising.  You have a culture of "downer music" (as my mom liked to call Alice in Chains) and drugs in an area where it rains every damn day.  Honestly, the body count is surprisingly low.

perfect recipe for the carnage. 

36 minutes ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

yep, weiland too. loved STP and was also a fan of velvet revolver. falling to pieces is another eerie song that kind of sets the tone for what was to come.  

Have you ever watched the Alice in Chains unplugged?  Staley was obviously a shell of himself due to the years of drug addiction, but I'll be damned if he didn't still come out and absolutely crush it.  Incredible performance.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mikemack8 said:

Have you ever watched the Alice in Chains unplugged?  Staley was obviously a shell of himself due to the years of drug addiction, but I'll be damned if he didn't still come out and absolutely crush it.  Incredible performance.

That performance (well, probably Nirvana first) was the one that made Unplugged must see TV

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mikemack8 said:

one of my favorite unplugged episodes. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, paco said:

That performance (well, probably Nirvana first) was the one that made Unplugged must see TV

Nirvana's cover of The Man Who Sold the World was epic. 

9 minutes ago, downundermike said:

14 minutes ago, downundermike said:

absolutely