Garafolo: Eagles sign ex-Vikings LB Eric Wilson

Jenkins27

3 hours ago, rrfierce said:

He’s got to be an upgrade on Gerry surely ?

Betty White would be an upgrade on Gerry.  

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, jsb235 said:

He's a backup-level player whose only positive attribute is that he knows the scheme. if you are expecting someone to be appreciably better than Edwards or Singleton, you are going to be disappointed.  

he will start , alex singleton 120 tackles 2 sacks 1 int , eric wilson 122 tackles 3 sacks 3 picks , better then what's here

47 minutes ago, matchew88 said:

Watched some tape. In some that he gets "blown off" on a run, its against Jeff Saturday. But he set the edge against the Bears. That's 2 really good Viking players signing for cheap for Gannon.

He got blown off on a run by a lineman that hasn't played in 9 years? Impressive

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

He got blown off on a run by a lineman that hasn't played in 9 years? Impressive

Okay, but Wilson looked good in other run situations

I'm a big fan of these one year deals.  They're great from a cap standpoint.  The players usually pan out more often than not because they have to give all if they want to hit paydirt with a big signing bonus and long term deal.  And the team gets a chance to evaluate the player and see if there's a long term fit.

Here's what ESPN has: 

At times, he struggled against the run, finishing with 20 missed tackles. His run defense grade of 38.3 was the lowest of any linebacker who played a minimum of 80% of the snaps last season, according to Pro Football Focus data.

Teams do not play base as much as they used to. So as long as the Eagles have at least two decent LBs, they should be improved in that regard. Its a passing league with a lot of short quick throws, so hopefully he is a good coverage guy. Still, one of the main jobs of a LB is to stop the run, so that is concerning that he struggled last season. 

2 hours ago, Madriver said:

Would love to see Parsons at 12.

The only chance that happens is if Howie is fired within a few weeks.

5 hours ago, eaglesflyers#1 said:

I like this move a lot. But not at the expense of drafting a quality LB. 

I’m fine with drafting a LB, just not at #12. 

20 minutes ago, CaliEagle said:

The only chance that happens is if Howie is fired within a few weeks.

The Eagles haven’t drafted an off-the-ball linebacker in the first round since 1979. 

4 hours ago, CaliEagle said:

Isn't almost everyone an upgrade over Gerry?

True.😂

I wanted a veteran LB to guide the rookies, and I think he qualifies. Crazy to think he is only 26. Damn.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, matchew88 said:

Watched some tape. In some that he gets "blown off" on a run, its against Jeff Saturday. But he set the edge against the Bears. That's 2 really good Viking players signing for cheap for Gannon.

I didn't watch the video but I'm having doubts that jeff Saturday was blowing him off the run. 

• Like 1

Really great signing, It is super interesting seeing these mid 20-something players taking one year prove it deals after the first wave of free agency. Feels like the NBA sometimes.

So, the Eagles' top 3 LBs are all UDFAs.  Who knows if Taylor or Bradley will ever pan out either...you know, players they actually spent a draft pick on.  

It would be nice to one day again have a LB on this team that we can be excited about.  If you're "excited" about Wilson, I compare that to the old Eddie Murphy standup skit...If you're starving, everything tastes good.  "that was the best damn cracker I ever had!! Was that a Ritz cracker?!  Give me some more!"  Wilson is the cracker and Eagles fans are the starving person in this scenario.

• Haha 1

Just now, EaglesAddict said:

So, the Eagles' top 3 LBs are all UDFAs.  Who knows if Taylor or Bradley will ever pan out either...you know, players they actually spent a draft pick on.  

It would be nice to one day again have a LB on this team that we can be excited about.  If you're "excited" about Wilson, I compare that to the old Eddie Murphy standup skit...If you're starving, everything tastes good.  "that was the best damn cracker I ever had!! Was that a Ritz cracker?!  Give me some more!"  Wilson is the cracker and Eagles fans are the starving person in this scenario.

Still need to draft one, but this is the Eagles we re talking about. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, EaglesAddict said:

So you are saying you like him too?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, RememberTheKoy said:

Honestly, Howie should be forced to addressed LB in the draft.  Last time we drafted a LB worth a damn was Chip in 2015 drafting Jordan Hicks.  

They don't value the position though. They should draft the position in the draft and they might but it will be another mid to late round pick. They've signed Wilson, they have Singleton (who to be far showed promise) and they have TJ Edwards too. They may invest their third round pick on a LB, I'd be shocked if they invested anything higher.

20 minutes ago, Infam said:

So you are saying you like him too?

I think he's a decent addition, but he's not someone I'm "excited" about.  The sad part is, it likely means no LB before day 3 of the draft, if we take one at all.  Just kinda tired of the ongoing perpetual organizational philosophy of devaluing the LB position.  

17 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

They don't value the position though. They should draft the position in the draft and they might but it will be another mid to late round pick. They've signed Wilson, they have Singleton (who to be far showed promise) and they have TJ Edwards too. They may invest their third round pick on a LB, I'd be shocked if they invested anything higher.

Didn't we just invest a 3rd last year on a LB?

11 hours ago, Procus said:

I'm a big fan of these one year deals.  They're great from a cap standpoint.  The players usually pan out more often than not because they have to give all if they want to hit paydirt with a big signing bonus and long term deal.  And the team gets a chance to evaluate the player and see if there's a long term fit.

And if they do play well and end up signing a big contract elsewhere, that can yield comp picks.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Madriver said:

Didn't we just invest a 3rd last year on a LB?

That is very true they did yes. A project developmental guy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EaglesAddict said:

It would be huge if Taylor panned out for us considering he was a relatively high pick (3rd rd) but he is pretty raw considering he barely played football prior to college so still a huge question mark.  Hopefully Howie understands we need to add players that are more NFL ready (especially with our higher picks ... late day 3 picks are different).  Hoping we will consider someone like Browning, Owusu-Kormoah, Bolton, etc. on day 2.  

17 hours ago, vaff said:

Jonathan Gannon. In fact, his defense is expected to be very similar to Mike Zimmer’s.

You mean the defense that Nick Foles hung 31 on in the NFC Championship a few years back?  

jim carrey thumbs up GIF

18 minutes ago, time2rock said:

It would be huge if Taylor panned out for us considering he was a relatively high pick (3rd rd) but he is pretty raw considering he barely played football prior to college so still a huge question mark.  Hopefully Howie understands we need to add players that are more NFL ready (especially with our higher picks ... late day 3 picks are different).  Hoping we will consider someone like Browning, Owusu-Kormoah, Bolton, etc. on day 2.  

Yeah it would be huge if he did...but there's certainly no buzz about him to date.  Chances are he'll be another flop.  Personally, I'm high on Zaven Collins, not sure if we could even get him at pick 37 though.  But now with Wilson, that virtually eliminates any possibility of a Round 1 or 2..and probably 3, linebacker.