Garafolo: Eagles sign ex-Vikings LB Eric Wilson

Jenkins27

24 minutes ago, EaglesAddict said:

Yeah it would be huge if he did...but there's certainly no buzz about him to date.  Chances are he'll be another flop.  Personally, I'm high on Zaven Collins, not sure if we could even get him at pick 37 though.  But now with Wilson, that virtually eliminates any possibility of a Round 1 or 2..and probably 3, linebacker.

I think it is still way too early to tell with Taylor, especially considering the change in the entire coaching staff and expected change in overall scheme.  No buzz around him because he didn't get an opportunity last season because he was so raw.  Would love to see what progress he made from year 1 to year 2 but I fear the change in staff/scheme may have an impact on his immediate progress - we shall see.  

I see Collins mostly listed as a late 1st/early 2nd, so it is possible he is there at 37.  I don't know that signing a FA LB to a 1 year deal should impact any draft plans.  Have to keep an eye on the future.  

• Like 2

I wonder if this means that we're out of the running if Micah Parsons drops to 12....

TBH though, I don't see Howie drafting a LB since the org has always undervalued the LB position in general. 

Still getting mentally prepared for Paye when it's our turn 😐

4 hours ago, EaglesAddict said:

Yeah it would be huge if he did...but there's certainly no buzz about him to date.  Chances are he'll be another flop.  Personally, I'm high on Zaven Collins, not sure if we could even get him at pick 37 though.  But now with Wilson, that virtually eliminates any possibility of a Round 1 or 2..and probably 3, linebacker.

I don’t think this signing will necessarily stop them from taking one in the second or third round. I’m not saying they will do that, but I certainly don’t think this one year deal will make any difference on the pick.

They were never going to draft one in the first round. And the one guy associated with that pick is considered to have very serious character issues.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Birdman said:

I wonder if this means that we're out of the running if Micah Parsons drops to 12....

TBH though, I don't see Howie drafting a LB since the org has always undervalued the LB position in general. 

Still getting mentally prepared for Paye when it's our turn 😐

We weren’t going to draft Parsons, anyway. The guy has very serious red flags. 

Also, Paye is a good player who is very athletic and plays a premium position.

5 minutes ago, vaff said:

I am coming around on Paye, I think 12 is still too early and there are better options + positions of need. But I am not gonna pitch a fit if we go Paye

The radio this morning said this guy missed 22 tackles last season and struggles against the run. Regardless I still like the pickup. 

6 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

The radio this morning said this guy missed 22 tackles last season and struggles against the run. Regardless I still like the pickup. 

3rd most missed tackles by a LB last year.  He will fit right in as Gerry's replacement.

2 hours ago, QBhunter58 said:

I am coming around on Paye, I think 12 is still too early and there are better options + positions of need. But I am not gonna pitch a fit if we go Paye

As far as there being better options, I think that’s fair. In terms of "positions of need”, though, I’m not too focused on that. I think essentially the entire roster is a position of need, and we have a lot of picks in the next two drafts. We could end up drafting for our "neediest position” in the first round this year, when there’s a better prospect available at some other position. Then, come next year, there could be a better prospect available at the same position we drafted, and we have to pass on them for an inferior player at another position. 

I‘m not great at explaining things, but hopefully you get what I’m trying to say. I just think we need to worry about getting the best players.

3 hours ago, QBhunter58 said:

I feel exactly the same. I wouldn't love or hate the pick if it were Kwaye. I definitely prefer one of the top two corners, and Smith or Waddle. Depending on how the board shakes out though he might be the best pick. I would much rather take him than Slater or AVT who project to guard in the NFL and would sit on the bench year one minus an injury to Sem or Brooks. If both of the top corners are gone and Smith and Waddle I would prefer they go Paye or even trade down a little bit and take Farley over one of those lineman.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, downundermike said:

3rd most missed tackles by a LB last year.  He will fit right in as Gerry's replacement.

Gerry was horrible in coverage. Every pass thrown at him was completed last season. This guy is a much better player in coverage. 

• Like 1

On 4/7/2021 at 7:04 PM, Portyansky said:

Really 1 hour? OK, I'll do it.... Super BowlzzzZzZXzzZzz

There it is!

It'll do. 

21 hours ago, vaff said:

Definitely agree, I'd be very happy with Paye at #12 

It would just be nice to see Howie go outside the box, buy yet play it safe in the first round this year.

On 4/8/2021 at 11:42 AM, time2rock said:

I think it is still way too early to tell with Taylor, especially considering the change in the entire coaching staff and expected change in overall scheme.  No buzz around him because he didn't get an opportunity last season because he was so raw.  Would love to see what progress he made from year 1 to year 2 but I fear the change in staff/scheme may have an impact on his immediate progress - we shall see.  

I see Collins mostly listed as a late 1st/early 2nd, so it is possible he is there at 37.  I don't know that signing a FA LB to a 1 year deal should impact any draft plans.  Have to keep an eye on the future.  

You know how this team rolls in regards to LB..."Hey, we just signed Joe from janitorial services, no further need to add anybody at the LB position!" <_<

• Haha 2

On 4/8/2021 at 3:49 PM, vaff said:

I don’t think this signing will necessarily stop them from taking one in the second or third round. I’m not saying they will do that, but I certainly don’t think this one year deal will make any difference on the pick.

They were never going to draft one in the first round. And the one guy associated with that pick is considered to have very serious character issues.

Hope you're right but unless the new coaching staff is stressing a higher priority on LB play, we won't take one until Day 3 at the earliest.

24 minutes ago, EaglesAddict said:

You know how this team rolls in regards to LB..."Hey, we just signed Joe from janitorial services, no further need to add anybody at the LB position!" <_<

True that.  I don’t think signing any player to a 1 year deal should impact any draft decisions, but as you stated, with the lack of importance placed in LB in this organization, I could very well see them passing on a good player there because of having just signed Wilson.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, EaglesAddict said:

Hope you're right but unless the new coaching staff is stressing a higher priority on LB play, we won't take one until Day 3 at the earliest.

Well the defense they’re expected to run does require significantly better linebacker play.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vaff said:

Well the defense they’re expected to run does require significantly better linebacker play.

Yes especially at middle linebacker. They can't have a sheet linebackr at the Mike position to run cover 2 or they might as well just forget it. 

8 hours ago, time2rock said:

True that.  I don’t think signing any player to a 1 year deal should impact any draft decisions, but as you stated, with the lack of importance placed in LB in this organization, I could very well see them passing on a good player there because of having just signed Wilson.  

The signing of Wilson is irrelevant. Their philosophy is the problem. Heck they’re the ones who go on and on about competition at every position, but year after year they just ignore the linebacker position. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EazyEaglez said:

The signing of Wilson is irrelevant. Their philosophy is the problem. Heck they’re the ones who go on and on about competition at every position, but year after year they just ignore the linebacker position. 

Exactly

Briefly checked out Wilson's PC today. Total lack of self-awareness when discussing his run defense. I really wanted the Eagles to sign this guy, but sheesh that put me off big-time.