Could/would/should JJAW play TE?

Portyansky

Sorry, super bored, waiting for the draft. Was thinking how cool it would have been to have either Chase or Pitts to choose from to get Hurts an O weapon. Then started thinking about our WRs, and how if they had a little more time, they would get open and with Hurts ability to scramble that may happen. Then thought about JJAW, where would he fit in this O. TE came to mind. 

No a 6'2 225 lb tight end?? Umm yeah again hell no

• Like 1

I hope I’m not ever bored enough to contemplate JJAW’s future on this team

• Like 3
  • Haha 12

Bleachers report on JJ:

"I can write with a fair amount of confidence that Arcega-Whiteside will be a better NFL wideout than Metcalf, who will all but certainly be drafted well before him."

I wonder ..if we can Sue the writer of Bleacher's report ??? LOL

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

JJAW to TE? I mean it's worth a try? At this point we should write him off as an NFL WR. Give him the off season at TE, if he shows nothing then cut him. Nothing lost. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

JJAW to TE? I mean it's worth a try? At this point we should write him off as an NFL WR. Give him the off season at TE, if he shows nothing then cut him. Nothing lost. 

The Eagles have a running QB, a running QB benefits by having big blockers at multiple positions.  The Ravens go 31-8 since Lamar becomes the starter.  They have 300 pound FB Patrick Ricard and 270 pound TE Nick Boyle.  You have a running QB, you have big backs,  some speedy weapons,  and you have more big blockers than a team who has a QB who actually wants to stand in a pocket for up to 3 seconds while making throw decisions about 5 different guys within that 3 second period would.  When you have 7 guys out  there at the same time who weight 270 pounds or more,  you win blocking matchups. 

If Hurts is thought of as a one read and run QB,  you really just want to have a smaller number of pass catchers and more blockers for the runners who are running.

My prediction is he doesn’t make the roster, and never plays another snap in the NFL. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, nipples said:

My prediction is he doesn’t make the roster, and never plays another snap in the NFL. 

He will get picked up somewhere and hang around a little while longer (look at Mack Hollins)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, QBhunter58 said:

He will get picked up somewhere and hang around a little while longer (look at Mack Hollins)

He’ll get picked up to try out, doesn’t mean he’ll ever actually get in a game. Hollins isn’t good either but better than JJ. Hollins at least is a good special teamer. 

• Like 1

Just now, nipples said:

He’ll get picked up to try out, doesn’t mean he’ll ever actually get in a game. Hollins isn’t good either but better than JJ. Hollins at least is a good special teamer. 

true

That’s almost as crazy as Howie Roseman running a draft board.  Oh, wait...

12 hours ago, Random Reglar said:

If Hurts is thought of as a one read and run QB,  you really just want to have a smaller number of pass catchers and more blockers for the runners who are running.

But if that is what he is then that's only going to get you so far in the NFL. Do you want to build your roster around a player who is a one read and run QB? And may ultimately end up having a short career as your starter...

Everyone hated Aggy too but he went off and had a solid season for the raiders... maybe it’s the coaching or the system and JJAW can finally show up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm all for Arcega Whiteside to TE, if TE stands for "To the Exit".

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Do you want to build your roster around a player who is a one read and run QB? And may ultimately end up having a short career as your starter...

Are you seriously going to ask him this? When this is literally the only thing he talks about and comes on the board for is because of all the players that are capable of running a running QB offense just like the Ravens

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wyote said:

If we can't find OL who can stay healthy, maybe try him at OG. 

Jeff Lurie reading your post could be intrigued.  If so Howie would 2nd what an amazingly great idea it was.  He went to Stanford and intelligence is the most important quality in an Olineman.  He'd get flattened and put on IR immediately so I'm all for it!  That way no one would claim him at final cuts and they could stash him for a year to gain strength and learn the intricacies of O line play.  No risk in losing a 2nd round pick on waivers!  Would be another great personnel idea from our commander in chief.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

But if that is what he is then that's only going to get you so far in the NFL. Do you want to build your roster around a player who is a one read and run QB? And may ultimately end up having a short career as your starter...

It depends.  Are you getting wins?

If you're getting wins with a running QB who runs well and throws accurately and all that,  but isn't one of those QBs who likes to pick a target among 5 targets within 3 seconds,  then great, wins are wins.

If you can design a system that doesn't require a $30+ Million dollar QB,  but can work with cheap running QBs, and win with them,  it seems that the cheap QB is better than the expensive one, because you can spend more money on places like defense.

I don't see at all why the goal should be to find a QB to pay a ton of money to.  I'd rather have a running QB system where all the QBs are cheap, all can get the job done,  all can be replaced by others who can also get the job done.

6 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Are you seriously going to ask him this? When this is literally the only thing he talks about and comes on the board for is because of all the players that are capable of running a running QB offense just like the Ravens

Fair point. Ok well I'm opening the question up to everyone!

6 hours ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

Hey, this guy right here is paying attention.

Yeah,  I raced over here when,  right after I was on the Ravens message board saying "get these 2 guys, the 2 young guys who are just sitting there,  college running QBs who can theoretically be slash players in the NFL,  Khalil Tate and Tyree Jackson"  the Eagles went and got both of them.  I'm basically looking to see what the Eagles end up doing with them.  I rooted for Hurts to beat the Saints last year,  rooting for him to run, and he did, ran and won.   The possibilities of the Eagles doing what I like to see are there, so, I'm watching what they do,  rooting for the outcomes that I like.   After getting here I see some other things that I like.  Mailata was someone I wasnt paying attention to at all. Maybe they can use him in the innovative ways that I like.

But yeah.  That's what I want.  And one of the reasons I mention it so much is that not everyone is really paying close attention to what it is that I'm saying about the running QBs.  You are,  but most just aren't there all that often. 

7 minutes ago, Random Reglar said:

It depends.  Are you getting wins?

Getting wins? Or winning the SB? Because there's a difference. 

9 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

also "having a short career as your starter".  What's wrong with that?  A running QB is likely to have at least a slightly shorter career because risk of injury, also because of the fact that what you want is speed from the QB. 

Those running QBs are often real good right out of the gate.  They aren't going to get much better at running after college.  Not in the same way that QBs are supposed to get better at passing.  If a running QB is replaced by a similar running QB every so often, or the QB room continues to have new running QBs added and subtracted to it,  the QB position can be kept cheap.  And everything else,  defense especially, can be expensive.